This last week has been one of THE best weeks I have had in a long time. It's been a very busy week, but busy in a way I never imagined possible. left and right I found myself in situations where I could help others, and the best part of all, I never saw it as a burden. There's something wonderful, a connection you get, when they smile, shake my hand, and I can see there's a general appreciation and acceptance amung people. Just small things, that before I probably wouldn't have done, becuase I usually had the mentality "I've got better things to do." It hit me, "what's a couple of mins out of my life to help a person?" We all will find ourselves one day or another thinking, "man if someone could just hold this for a second. some help would be fantastic." I felt literally compelled (not obligated) to say "sure man, no problem."
for instance, I deliver newspapers, and I have apts to deliver them to. one of them I use as a designated place to smoke, like a 5 min break. i drove around not really any thought of where I was going, and I just parked. then I decided a little rest was good, so I rested for another 10 min. I went to deliver to the apts, farted around a little bit looking at the clouds. A guy with his hood open walking frantically seemed really worried, and I couldn't help but to ask him what was wrong. It was his car and he needed some duct tape. really simple, but something was up with his kid and he needed to take him to the doctor.
I thought "I don't have any" told him so, and just walked off. I came back and he was still there. I said, "hey hold on let me check." Besides, if I needed some help, I would be estatic if someone tok jsut a little time out of their day to see if they could help. so I decided "why not, I can do the same." I opened my trunk, it was a mess. tons of papers, wraps, rubber bands galor!!! I searched for about 5 min, found a box with "help you with your broke down car" tools . no electrical tape or anything! then out of the corner of my eye this old folded shovel I didn't know I had. on the handel...some duct tape!!! I peeled it off and he was ready to go. the guy couldn't thank me enough. It was great, not because I was like, "yeah I'm the man" it was something more I really can't explain. more like the smile itself was enough. My energy went up, and from that point, situations just seem to fall (literally) in front of me.
Right after I was done with my route, I decided to drive around somemore..again, no designated area. I was at a stop light, and some kid riding a bike fell. the woman in front of me looked at it, the light turned green, and she sped off hella quick. It was kind of fucked up actually. I pulled over and helped the kid off of the street and away from traffic. luckily he had a helmet and pads, and was shaken. I really didn't do much, but just the way I felt after that was just great.
all week it's been like this...and I really don't mind. I don't see myself as a helper of others...it's not like I was driving around looking for it. But if I can lend a helping hand, I'll do it.
I really have appreciated this week, as I have made a new friend as a result! It has taught me a lot about how while most of us experinece different types of difficult situations, in the end it's all the same. I'm not preaching here to do your good deed for the day, cause that to me undermines the whoele experience. It's been random, and it's in these random situations that are easy to help others. it's that little icing on the cake, and the result...new people and a smile.
hehe I hope I'm not rambling or boring anyone, but I just wanted to share. thanks for reading
-------------------- Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.
|