Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
helping others
    #2619188 - 04/30/04 12:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This last week has been one of THE best weeks I have had in a long time.  It's been a very busy week, but busy in a way I never imagined possible.  left and right I found myself in situations where I could help others, and the best part of all, I never saw it as a burden.  There's something wonderful, a connection you get, when they smile, shake my hand, and I can see there's a general appreciation and acceptance amung people.  Just small things, that before I probably wouldn't have done, becuase I usually had the mentality "I've got better things to do."  It hit me, "what's a couple of mins out of my life to help a person?"  We all will find ourselves one day or another thinking, "man if someone could just hold this for a second.  some help would be fantastic." I felt literally compelled (not obligated) to say "sure man, no problem."

for instance, I deliver newspapers, and I have apts to deliver them to. one of them I use as a designated place to smoke, like a 5 min break.  i drove around not really any thought of where I was going, and I just parked. then I decided a little rest was good, so I rested for another 10 min.  I went to deliver to the apts, farted around a little bit :grin: looking at the clouds.  A guy with his hood open walking frantically seemed really worried, and I couldn't help but to ask him what was wrong. It was his car and he needed some duct tape.  really simple, but something was up with his kid and he needed to take him to the doctor. 

I thought "I don't have any" told him so, and just walked off. I came back and he was still there.  I said, "hey hold on let me check." Besides, if I needed some help, I would be estatic if someone tok jsut a little time out of their day to see if they could help.  so I decided "why not, I can do the same." I opened my trunk, it was a mess.  tons of papers, wraps, rubber bands galor!!!  I searched for about 5 min, found a box with "help you with your broke down car" tools  :lol:.  no electrical tape or anything!  then out of the corner of my eye this old folded shovel I didn't know I had.  on the handel...some duct tape!!!  I peeled it off and he was ready to go.  the guy couldn't thank me enough.  It was great, not because I was like, "yeah I'm the man" it was something more I really can't explain.  more like the smile itself was enough. My energy went up, and from that point, situations just seem to fall (literally) in front of me.

Right after I was done with my route, I decided to drive around somemore..again, no designated area. I was at a stop light, and some kid riding a bike fell.  the woman in front of me looked at it, the light turned green, and she sped off hella quick.  It was kind of fucked up actually.  I pulled over and helped the kid off of the street and away from traffic. luckily he had a helmet and pads, and was shaken.  I really didn't do much, but just the way I felt after that was just great.

all week it's been like this...and I really don't mind.  I don't see myself as a helper of others...it's not like I was driving around looking for it.  But if I can lend a helping hand, I'll do it. 

I really have appreciated this week, as I have made a new friend as a result!  It has taught me a lot about how while most of us experinece different types of difficult situations, in the end it's all the same.  I'm not preaching here to do your good deed for the day, cause that to me undermines the whoele experience.  It's been random, and it's in these random situations that are easy to help others.  it's that little icing on the cake, and the result...new people and a smile. 

hehe I hope I'm not rambling or boring anyone, but I just wanted to share.  thanks for reading :grin:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: helping others [Re: kaiowas]
    #2619381 - 04/30/04 01:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Very nice kaiowas. Your post brought to mind some things I have experienced in the same vein. About ten years ago I had an ongoing dialogue with my higher power about how I can be of help to people in an appropriate way. Well, it was not really a dialogue like you'd have with a human being. It was basically me just sending up requests and hoping for an answer. Bear in mind, I'm not one to pray- I associate that with mainstream religion. But I do think the universe has a way of sending you what you need..

At the time I lived in a very nice apartment complex on the Gulf Coast. I could walk a hundred yards to the shore. Home alone, a knock at the door. I open it to find a man who gave me a clearly BS story about living in the same complex as me, his power was out, he needed some ready-to-eat food. He was just too poorly dressed and TOO articulate. He had some pride. I said "hang on" and brought out some food. He thanked me and walked off as I walked out and introduced myself and offered my hand. And then he dropped the bomb on me-which was my lesson- he quietly said, "I don't need to know your name."

I learned my lesson. Do good deeds without attachment.

Anyone else have any odd/memorable experiences along the same lines?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology