Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
What do you think about evolution?
    #2445945 - 03/18/04 01:27 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I'm sure this had been asked before, but I was wondering how the members of S&P feel about evolution.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: What do you think about evolution? [Re: MOTH]
    #2445954 - 03/18/04 01:33 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Just to add my .02 before this whole thing gets started, I don't think anything about evolution.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: What do you think about evolution? [Re: Frog]
    #2445960 - 03/18/04 01:40 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

the evolution of man, is very incomplete. the conditions werent right were early hominids lived to preserve.

i belive in evolution. i think we have to as we see evolution of bacteria and viruss. so its nto how the bible says. everthing is as it always was.

peac

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: What do you think about evolution? [Re: MOTH]
    #2445965 - 03/18/04 01:41 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think Darwin had a good idea with Evolution...but his idea of "natural selection" doesn't add up. What I mean is, I do think that evolution has progressed from the first single-cell organisms all the way to us humans...but I don't think that simple "survival of the fittest" explains how and why this evolution occured.

Consider:

(basic idea here taken from one of Micheal Chriton's novels)
The bat. It uses an advanced form of echo-location for everything from it's movement to finding/catching prey. If Darwin was right, then this echolocation evolved as a random mutation in the bat's genome. However I don't see how this is possible. For echolocation to work the bat requires AT THE LEAST three things: a specialized vocal system, a specialized hearing system, and a HIGHLY specialized brain to interpret/function these systems. Now lets say the bat manages to, through random mutation, develop a specialized vocal box which it could use for echolocation. Well what good is it without the other two systems? It's good for nothing except making ultrasonic screeches...which it/other bats can't even hear yet anyway.

Withoug all three systems developing simultaneously there is no use for any of them...and no reason why any of the three would make a bat more likely to survice without having the other two in place.

"Natural selection" does not explain this apparent simultaneous evolution of multiple systems. They cannot be explained away as "random mutation".

So: I think that evolution does occur...but that there is a much deeper reason for why it occurs. Without going into too much detail (it is VERY prelimenary theory of mine) I think that DNA is a self-ordering system that will naturally progress to a much higher-ordered configuration over time (think neural-networks, for computer peeps).

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: What do you think about evolution? [Re: trendal]
    #2446002 - 03/18/04 02:06 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

well its very hard for us humans to conseptualize how long milions and millions of years are. Darwins theory isnt just survival of the fittest he wrote a entiire book on the subject. so its just part of the theory.

and nothing is simultaneous, let me explain your example.

first squirell type mammal that shreeks to kind of communicate or scared.
finds that caves are good shelter as day is full of preditory birds. so only coem out at night.
night is dark. so they loose need for sight. but over the tiem they lost there sight the ones that could fidn there way aroudn with this lessened sight survived. perhaps using there shreeks to help. gazillion years later a bat.

not in order. didnt want to say much mroe but u get my point ,maybe

peace

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order