Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Americans just keep getting dumber
    #2367167 - 02/22/04 07:39 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Self-deluding suckers . . .

Any country with this level of superstition and scientific illiteracy has a pretty bleak future, if you ask me.

Interestingly, Catholics seem to be the most down to earth of the Christians.

The biggest morons of all, though, have to be those who say they have "no religion" and yet still believe the seven-day creation theory.

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/package.jsp?name=fte/holybible/holybible

WHO Says the Bible Is Literally True?

A majority of Americans believe the Holy Bible is literally true and not just a book of stories that are meant to be interpreted as symbolic lessons, reports The Washington Times of a recent ABC News poll of 1,011 adults.
61 percent believe the story of the creation of the Earth in seven days as told in the book of Genesis is literally true.
60 percent believe in the story of Noah's ark, the global flood, and God's covenant to never destroy the Earth again.
64 percent believe that Moses really did part the Red Sea so the Jews could escape their Egyptian captors.

"These are surprising and reassuring figures, a positive sign in a postmodern world that seemed bent on erasing faith from the public square in recent years," the Rev. Charles Nalls, a priest with the Catholic-Anglican church, told The Times. "This poll tells me that America is reading the Bible more than we thought. There had been a tendency to decry or discount Bible literacy among the faithful."

However, the levels of literal belief in these three Bible stories differ among various Christian groups:
Mainline Protestants: 75 percent believe in the story of creation, 79 percent in the Red Sea account, and 73 percent in Noah and the Ark.
Evangelical Protestants: 87 percent believe in the creation story, 91 percent in the Red Sea, and 87 percent in Noah.
Roman Catholics: 51 percent think the story of the creation is literally true, while 50 percent believe in the Red Sea story and 44 percent in the flood.

This may be the most interesting finding of all: Among those who said they had "no religion," 25 percent still believe in the creation story, almost a third believe in Moses and the Red Sea, and 29 percent believe in Noah and the Ark.

Here are some other fun facts to know and tell that are culled from two different Harris Polls taken in 2003. Among Christians in the United States:
93 percent believe in miracles.
95 percent believe in heaven.
93 percent in the Virgin Birth of Christ.
96 percent in Christ's Resurrection.
42 percent believe God is a male.
1 percent believe God is female.
38 percent believe God has no gender.
11 percent believe God is both genders.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: EchoVortex]
    #2367791 - 02/22/04 12:31 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

What percent of stupid non-Americans have an irrational hatred for a bunch of people they've never even met and know nothing about?

This thread doesn't have anything at all to do with Politics, activism, or law. This is just blind America bashing.

Pathetic.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Edited by Baby_Hitler (02/22/04 12:37 PM)

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
    #2367810 - 02/22/04 12:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think creationists are the funniest.

*Rides away into the sunset on a dinosaur*

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2367820 - 02/22/04 12:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1
    #2367823 - 02/22/04 12:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I concur.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: FrankieJustTrypt]
    #2367833 - 02/22/04 12:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Even I can see the humor in someone believing in a literal creation that occured over a 6 day period approximately 5000 years ago, but the rest of it there is no reason to believe or disbelieve, and thus foolish to look down on those who do.

I guess if you have complete faith in the myth of global warming you can't be expected to think much.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2367850 - 02/22/04 12:44 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have no problem with people having their own religious beliefs. I just don't like it when they try to legislate those beliefs.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: silversoul7]
    #2367869 - 02/22/04 12:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Just like I have no problem with people having their own collectivist beliefs. I just don't like it when they try to legislate those beliefs.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Anonymous

Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: Evolving]
    #2367872 - 02/22/04 12:48 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

beat me to it.

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
    #2367878 - 02/22/04 12:49 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Well, don't worry about this too much. The power is not in the stupid masses, but in the elite who controls the media and the government. So the people may believe all the shit they want, those making the actual decisions matter. With Bush and Co., i highly doubt their rationality, because they have a bunch of chistian fanattics among them. But if, hopefully, Kerry comes to power, we have nothing to worry about, because he is not a christian fanatic, just a tool of the special interests, corporations, etc. and they "just" follow their interests, without any care about religion(unless it is just for the publicity)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: Evolving]
    #2367892 - 02/22/04 12:52 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You are fast.

But are you easy?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #2367907 - 02/22/04 12:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

not surprising..given how they take neocon bullfeces as gospel too...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2368050 - 02/22/04 01:28 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
But are you easy?

Yes, just ask my wife.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
    #2368592 - 02/22/04 04:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Even I can see the humor in someone believing in a literal creation that occured over a 6 day period approximately 5000 years ago, but the rest of it there is no reason to believe or disbelieve, and thus foolish to look down on those who do.

I guess if you have complete faith in the myth of global warming you can't be expected to think much.

My thoughts exactly :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2369528 - 02/22/04 08:13 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have to agree with Baby_Hitler. I see nothing relating to Politics or Activism or Law in that post. Moved to Spirituality and Philosophy.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: Phred]
    #2373432 - 02/23/04 07:56 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Stupid us, the greatest society of humans there ever was. Shit, what assholes we are.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2373470 - 02/23/04 08:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmm. Us humans. Juxtapositions within ourselves. We are capable of great good, and terrible evil, all in one human package.

Caused me to remember my all-time favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies, "American Beauty":

"It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing and there's this electricity in the air, you can almost hear it. And this bag was, like, dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in."

"I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me ... but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst ...

And then I remember ... to relax, and not try to hold on to it. And then it flows through me like rain. And I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life. You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. Don't worry ... you will someday."

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: Frog]
    #2373491 - 02/23/04 08:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think you HAVE to hallucinate to see beauty. Not that it hurts.

--------------------

Invisiblejpod
Stranger

Loc: DeeSee
    #2373638 - 02/23/04 09:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:

This statement really bothers me, please explain the humor in this. Where is the 6 days of Genesis being measured from? They certainly cannot be earth days, since the Genesis account has the earth being formed on day 3 and the sun on day 4. The days must have been measured from another location, and the relativity of time then comes into play. 15-16 million years from an earth perspective could very well be equal to 6 days from another perspective. What about the redshift factor? An individual who was motivated enough could probably make some approximations on this.

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Americans just keep getting dumber [Re: jpod]
    #2373984 - 02/23/04 10:43 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You know, arguing about things that this argument isn't (really) about makes it hard to continue this discussion in a productive area.

So what if people want to hold on to the past. There are always going to be people who resist change.

Let's take my favorite subject, the drug war. These prohibitionists are intentionally perpetuating a status quo that is reactionary and even harmful. I am seeing men in power use the name of Jesus as a political rally call. Use it 16 times in This state, 14 in That state, just the right recipe for a presidential candidate. The religious right spends alot of money convincing fresh minds that canabis will eat your soul :devil: :razz: :devil:

How does this connect to genesis? These naive people don't seem to mind or realize that they're fearstrings are being plucked to just the right melody for a terrible injustice to continue. As if this isn't happening with the war on terror (the U.S. seems to search out wars that can never end.) As if this doesn't happen with the spiritual forums that have existed in states of continual upheaval since their inception.

"Don't say a swear word or you'll burn in hell for eternity."  What that fuck is this trash?

If you havn't noticed, getting this kind of zeal takes a great deal of brainwashing. $Cash Dollars$ are spent every day convincing kids that marijuana is the :devil: herself. Religious ASSHOLES have been shaping the world view of topics, such as creation, very fervently, for quite some time.

So, I predict it will take a while for this brand new, "whole world" we've got going to stabilize it's traditionally truculent territories. The Police States of America will not exist as a political entity a hundred years from now, and we'll be faced with whole new, maybe even logisitical problems for a change.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Edited by recalcitrant (02/23/04 10:45 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder