Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq?
    #2065844 - 11/02/03 06:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

seems like their are some misunderstandings on this board... so everybody... answer the question straight up, and give your reasons for it. if you think it was a good decision, why? and if not... why?

also... if you're going to get involved in this thread, at least start out with a thread answering the question if you would... thanks  :thumbup:

i'll go first:

no. i don't think it was. i don't think hussein was any military threat to the united states. while i'm happy for the people of iraq, i don't think the war represents an appropriate allocation of our military resources, the lives and limbs of american servicemen (and women), and of $87 billion taxpayer dollars (so far).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: ]
    #2065852 - 11/02/03 06:12 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ive posted this link umpteen times...and dont expect a response this time either...but this is why were there. I hope we havent reached that point yet where there is no other alternative to war in order to meet our energy needs...

But if that is the case, then i wish they would just say so. If it is then there was never any decision.

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Edited by Annapurna1 (11/02/03 06:16 PM)

Anonymous

Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2065862 - 11/02/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

so... the answer is

no because the motive is oil.

?

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
    #2065866 - 11/02/03 06:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
so... the answer is

no because the motive is oil.

?

Thats not what i said. I said that if we are faced with a critical shortage of oil as the link asserts, then we have no choice but to kill in order to get it. Its a matter of survival, not right or wrong.

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Edited by Annapurna1 (11/02/03 06:21 PM)

Anonymous

Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2065876 - 11/02/03 06:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

so do you think it was a good or bad decision to go to war with iraq? and why?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2065910 - 11/02/03 06:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It's hard to say. I mean, it pisses me off that we supposedly went in there because Saddam had all these WMD's that were a threat to our national security, yet we still can't find any of them. And it pisses me off that we're spending so much money on this when our economy is in the shitter and our troops are still getting killed out there. And it pisses me off that the administration kept associating them with 9/11 through innuendo, leading Americans to associate Saddam with Osama, when there's actually more terrorists there now that Saddam's gone.

But I'm not going to argue that Iraq was better off with Saddam in power. He was a ruthless despot and the people over there really are are better off without him, at least for now.

So to answer your question: I don't know. Whether it was right or not, I think the administration handled it rather badly. We still have yet to see the long-term impact of this war, so maybe history will be kind to us for this, and maybe it won't. Time will tell, or maybe not.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
    #2065933 - 11/02/03 06:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
so do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? and why?

I honestly cant give you a straight answer at this time. Personally im always opposed to starting a war for any reason, so on that basis the answer would have to be NO.

But in a more pragmatic sense, we might be faced with a very grave energy crisis, which does not afford survival to both American families and Iraqi families. I dont have kids, but i can easily understand the position of a poor single mother faced with a choice of her kids freezing and/or starving to death (because of a lack of affordable energy) vs. napalming four kids in Iraq. If i was in her shoes, i would say YES, and show them no mercy.

At this time, however, i dont believe we are at that point yet (but i might be wrong). Either way, the invasion has artificially brought us much closer to that point, so in that sense it was a very bad decision -- which was in no small way influenced by the morbid attachment of Americans to their Hummers.

--------------------

Edited by Annapurna1 (11/02/03 06:47 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with ir [Re: ]
    #2066019 - 11/02/03 07:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I remain unconvinced it was correct for the US, the UK, Australia, Spain, Italy, Poland and all the rest to depose Hussein by military force at the time they did.

I don't believe Hussein was as big a threat to the well-being of the citizens of those particular countries as some say. I don't believe it was correct for the governments of those countries to have spent taxpayer dollars on that particular project.

Then again, I don't agree with most things governments spend taxpayer dollars on, and I can think of worse things to have spent it on. At least this will have some positive results for the Iraqis, the region, and mankind in general.

On the other hand, no one else would have done anything, and it was obvious Hussein would never have stepped down voluntarily. It also would have set an extremely bad precedent for future megalomaniacs if Hussein had remained unpunished for his violation of the unconditional ceasefire agreement. It is disappointing that the UN demonstrated once again what a useless, gutless, toothless, irrelevant organization it is -- but maybe even that demonstration is a good thing in the long run.

Bottom line?

For me personally, speaking as a confirmed Laissez-faire Capitalist, I believe either the Iraqis should have been left to rot, or that they should have been aided in liberating themselves by a different set of countries, preferrably those bordering Iraq.

Close call, though.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2066283 - 11/02/03 08:59 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

No,it was a bad decision. Iraq never had any WMD's,or if they did,their programs were primitive. They didn't pose any serious threat to the U.S. or anyone else.American soldiers and Iraqi civilians have lost their lives. It's hard to say from the huge influx of information and disinformation,but I'm not convinced that the average Iraqi has it better now or will in the near future.It will destabilize the region even further and spur even greater hatred against the U.S. not only from the Arab world,but many other countries too.It was the exact last thing we needed to spend billions of dollars on when we are in an economic depression. And there has never proven to be a clear link between Iraq and any terrorist organizations.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Edited by monoamine (11/02/03 09:01 PM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2066906 - 11/03/03 01:07 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Terrible decision. It pissed all over international law and has given Bush and the crazies the belief they can do whatever they want in the face of total international condemnation (Federated Islands of Micronesia excepted..and even they wouldn't send troops). We have Hitler in the white house with "God" telling him what to do. It's terrifying.

Our only hope is that the guerilla war in Iraq is so ferocious it prevents Bush invading anywhere else. I wouldn't bet on it tho.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: Xlea321]
    #2066926 - 11/03/03 01:15 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So you're hoping for more bloodshed?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2066938 - 11/03/03 01:20 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Other way around baby. If Bush thinks Iraq was easy he's going to start dropping daisy cutters wherever he damn well pleases. If we'd stopped Hitler when he invaded the Rhineland we wouldn't have had WW2.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: Xlea321]
    #2066963 - 11/03/03 01:31 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Even better, we could have invaded Germany before they had a chance to build up a huge gigantic army.

Maybe impose sanctions on Germany for 12 years first though.

That would have been a good plan too.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2066975 - 11/03/03 01:36 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Germany wouldn't have needed sanctions to make their economy shitty. By the time Hitler came to power, inflation was so high in Germany that workers had to be paid twice a day because their first paycheck of the day was worthless.

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2066980 - 11/03/03 01:37 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Then where'd they get the money to buy/make all those guns and bombs and tanks and planes?

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2067050 - 11/03/03 02:00 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Then where'd they get the money to buy/make all those guns and bombs and tanks and planes?

"Labor" camps

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2067107 - 11/03/03 02:17 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Then I guess unprovoked attack would have been the optimal choice.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2067115 - 11/03/03 02:19 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I suppose, but it would've been hard to explain to the international community. Not to mention that at the beginning of WWII we were far from being the world power that we are today.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2067147 - 11/03/03 02:34 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The attrocities commited by the Nazi's weren't even really well known until the end of the war. It's pretty crazy the shit they did on such a large scale went so unoticed at the time in the states (I remind you that we didn't become directly involved until Pearl Harbor).

Anyway,the analogy is stupid. Like Bill Maher said "Equating Saddam Hussein with Adolf Hitler is like saying Oasis is like the Beatles"

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Edited by monoamine (11/03/03 02:36 AM)

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: do you think it was a good decision to go to war with iraq? [Re: monoamine]
    #2067156 - 11/03/03 02:40 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

What about equating Bush with Hitler, or the US with Nazi Germany?

Most analogies involving Nazi's suck.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom