Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Well, you almost passed.
    #1941629 - 09/22/03 04:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Stupid fucks.

YOU HAVEN'T 'FAILED' - YOU'VE 'NEARLY PASSED'

10:30 - 22 September 2003

Pupils across Lincolnshire may soon be able to sit exams without fear of failing, when new government guidelines come into effect.

The guidelines, for marking key national curriculum exams, recommend that the current F grade, for 'fail', should be replaced with an N grade, for 'nearly'.

The guidelines were sent out to markers of this summer's exams by the Government's Qualifications and Curriculum Authority.

They include instructions that maths exam answers should be marked as either 'creditworthy' or 'not creditworthy', rather than correct or incorrect.

The changes cover English, maths and science exams at key stages one, two and three, which are taken by seven-, 11- and 14-year-olds.

Youngsters who do not achieve a minimum mark, where the tests have a target of levels three to five, can be given a 'compensatory level two' award.

A spokesman for the authority denied that the marking scheme blurred the distinction between passing and failing.

The spokesman said the use of 'creditworthy' was appropriate because some answers to maths questions were worth several marks, and it was possible to get some marks even if the final answer was wrong.

Nick Seaton, the chairman of the Campaign for Real Education, described the changes as "political correctness gone stark raving bonkers".

He said educational managers were afraid to use the words 'right', 'wrong' and 'fail'.

PC assholes.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
Re: Well, you almost passed. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1941685 - 09/22/03 05:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thats just fuckin retarded.

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #1941687 - 09/22/03 05:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>>>Youngsters who do not achieve a minimum mark, where the tests have a target of levels three to five, can be given a 'compensatory level two' award.

in other words "congratulations you're an idiot"

what a terrible idea.. :nonono:

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Well, you almost passed. [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #1941720 - 09/22/03 05:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

policies like this are a grim consequence of simultaneously underfunding school mandates and increasing schools' accountability.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1941723 - 09/22/03 05:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not sure if this is anything particularly new. I'm fairly sure I remember hearing about N grades when I was at school. I do think it's stupid that kids have to go through so many exams these days though. Our schools seem to be far too fixated on league tables now.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineGringoLoco
I spit in theface of peoplewho ain't cool.
 User Gallery

Loc: Monterey, CA
Re: Well, you almost passed. [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1941726 - 09/22/03 05:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

So a kid who comes to school three times a year and has an average of 2% will have "nearly" passed the grade. What a wonderful idea. Lets keep on encouraging the youth, remember, it takes less energy to be positive than negative!

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1941748 - 09/22/03 05:21 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Of course...Ideally they want all citizens to appear smart on paper so that they cxan say "Hey!..look how smart we all are"...but in reality they want to keep 'em stupid enough to keep voting in assholes.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Well, you almost passed. [Re: Rono]
    #1941768 - 09/22/03 05:28 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, just because that works in Canoodia doesn't mean it will work in the UK.

Oh, wait...... judging by the level of competence of some of our UK posters..... it already has. 

:wink:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1941870 - 09/22/03 05:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

policies like this are a grim consequence of simultaneously underfunding school mandates and increasing schools' accountability.

Thanks for that summation of Florida's Republican school system.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1941879 - 09/22/03 06:00 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:

It's more a sign of the stupidity known as political corectness, and of the low intelligence level of those who promote it.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

#1941977 - 09/22/03 06:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I've thought about this long and hard,but I fail to see how PC could be responsible for the failure of the school system as a whole.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1942004 - 09/22/03 06:38 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I think this is stupid, but I don't think it's a disaster or anything.

I don't really see it causing any problems.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Well, you almost passed. [Re: monoamine]
    #1942023 - 09/22/03 06:43 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Since I know you're a young whippersnapper  :wink:, I'll suggest you do a bit of reading on a subject called "social promotion".

This will come as a shock but once students were actually expected to learn things. Perish the thought that in this PC age we live in a student should be expected to learn to pass to the next grade. We wouldn't want to hurt the self esteem of those who don't make it. Schools are doing away with the idea knowledge is the path to sucess.

It's "close enough", isn't.

--------------------

Invisiblemr crisper

#1942047 - 09/22/03 06:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

similar systems exist in most asian countries - students cannot fail.
i went to university in china, in my 1st semester exam, the teacher wrote the answers out on the blackboard for nearly every question - i got 96%.
for my 2nd exam, the lecturer asked me and my roommate to choose the questions we would like to do from our textbooks.
one of my friends was an english language teacher at the same uni, when he rec'd the students papers for marking, the professor dropped by and told him, 'if the students write their name on the top of the paper, they get 70%'
in japan, if a student fails, they give the student a makeup exam which is usually a few very simple questions.
in indonesia, generally your score depends on how much you pay the teacher.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

#1942054 - 09/22/03 06:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I don't agree with social promotion either,but I still don't see how that caused the failure of the school system.

...when I was a boy,I walked up hill both ways and I had to milk cows to eat the cereal that I harvested that day....

--------------------
Douglas Adams

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Well, you almost passed. [Re: mr crisper]
    #1942060 - 09/22/03 06:52 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

All very sad. Did you feel it was worth the effort knowing you could do virtually nothing and still get by?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Well, you almost passed. [Re: monoamine]
    #1942071 - 09/22/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah but there aren't many hills in Florida. I had to scale a 4,000 foot high mountain in waste deep snow while pulling a broken down school bus.

--------------------

Invisiblemr crisper

#1942086 - 09/22/03 06:59 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

actually i pissed off in the 2nd semester and toured the country for 4 months, came back a week before the exams. cos i knew i couldn't fail. :grin:
but i do not trust doctors or engineers with degrees from chinese uni's.(neither do most govts - chinese degrees are rarely accepted in western countries) 

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

#1942090 - 09/22/03 07:00 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It was cool as hell when some of the shit for brains ,rich kids that I went to school with (keyword=some) had the money to take expensive SAT/ACT prep classes and get good scores when they were as dumb as a box of rocks.

This ties in to that school testing crap where I didn't learn anything but test taking skills on how to take a fucking test I was never going to take again.

--------------------
Douglas Adams

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Well, you almost passed. [Re: mr crisper]
    #1942098 - 09/22/03 07:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting. Thanks.

So do you agree with then that what's described in the article is a step in the wrong direction?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale