Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Loss of instinct?
    #1909427 - 09/12/03 01:59 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

First off, before people call me a close minded prick or anything, i have absolutely nothing against people who are homosexual. I dont look down on people who are, and dont judge them based on their sexuality. Also, Im also not trying to say that theres something wrong with people who are homosexual, this is just kind of an observation on people as a whole that happens to be based on the concept of homosexuality. That said, lets continue.

What i thought today was that maybe people have lost qualities that were once instinctive. This seems most obvious in the case of homosexuality, as there is no real benefit (as far as progression of the human race is concerned, not meant in any other way). The reason i say this shows a loss of instinctive qualities in all people is that perhaps people who are homosexual are just able to break out of a "normal" life. Maybe these people ignore what is pounded into kids heads from day one, "boy + girl = family" and the rest of us just kind of go with the flow. Now this sounded kind of familiar when i thought it this morning, so i dont know if ive thought it before or if i read it somewhere (seems likely). If these are in fact someone else' words (or a paraphrase) let me know. What do you think?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
Re: Loss of instinct? [Re: ]
    #1909453 - 09/12/03 02:08 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If someone is naturally homosexual, then they are following their instincts by acting on that natural predisposition.

On the other hand, lots of "straight" people are suppressing their natural instincts by refusing to accept, or burying deeply, their attractions to the same sex.

--------------------

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #1909520 - 09/12/03 02:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think whenther you're gay or straight has anything to do with what's right and what's wrong. If you're gay, you're gay, and I don't think anything can really change that. It's perfectly natural, and I don't think people "choose" to be gay just to defy what's more socially acceptable.

But I agree with you that we have sort of lost our primitive instincts as humans. It all started back to the days of the first humans, when they discovered that if they stick this thing in there, then that thing comes out in a few months.And then I guess they saw this as a good thing, so then everyone was encouraged to engage in this act of procreation. Of course hormones also play a role in selecting a mate, but usually in today's human world, if it's of the opposite sex, then it is immediately considered a potential partner. It's been engraved in our minds since our parents first read us fairy tales of the prince sweeping the princess off her feet and carying her in the sunset on a white stallion. It's all environmental influences that shape our behaviour.

I think things will change a lot now with the gay marriages up in the air. The next generations may return to the animal instinct ways of selecting a mate. It will take time for society to accept this kind of selective freedom, but who knows? Maybe we will be seeing a lot more "timmy has two dad's" books in a few years?

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: Loss of instinct? [Re: manna_man]
    #1909618 - 09/12/03 02:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

homosexuality is a genetic mutation that occurs just as often in animal populations as it does in humans. It is not a choice made. It has nothing to do with social influence.

I don't have a problem with homosexuals. At least they dont overpopulate the world with a bunch of waterhead offspring like us heteros do.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Anonymous

Re: Loss of instinct? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1910715 - 09/12/03 08:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Im not trying to say its a choice that people make. Im sure it feels no different than being straight, aside for the fact that you're attracted to the same sex instead. What i am saying is that perhaps people who say/believe they're gay are people who really know how they feel, know that its not how theyre told they shoudl feel, and, because they know this, must be less easily influenced. Although, on another note, if a homosexual knows he/she does not feel how society tells them to, perhaps they see what society (in general) looks down upon and think that that is whats right for them. Going on the former idea, straight people may just be people who are (sub)consciously more easily influenced and therefore arent as aware of how they truly feel, if at all.
Ive heard people say that "everyones somewhat homosexual" and the like. I feel as if thats just kind of a societal thing. Attractive people, particularly in the physical sense, tend to be more successful in our society. While this is not always the case, take Bill Gates for example, in the majority it holds true. My point is that, in many ways, success is more easily achieved by more attractive people. In this i am by no means saying that physically unnattractive people cant be successful. I feel as though there are other factors aside from looks, namely sense of humor, intelligence, and unfortunate as it is, social status of ones family.
Now some may ask "what about bisexuals?" Perhaps bisexuals are just in the middle on the issue, or are plainly more obvious examples of the truth to what im suggesting. Maybe bisexuals are people that really do know how they feel. They understand/realize that theyre attracted to both men and women and therefore dont go with either of the more common (id assume, although assuming is a dangerous thing) sexualities (gay/straight).
Dr. J brought up the topic of homosexual animals. Now, i may just be misinformed, but ive only ever heard of this in domesticated animals (mainly cats and dogs). If this is true only for domesticated animals, then it would further my point and may prove to be a better demonstration of how this is subconscious process. If anyone has more information or links to more information about this, id be interested to find out more on the topic.
Now i realize that it seems like im saying these things are conscious decisions. Im just going to say that thats not my intent, and dont take it that way. While some of these decisions may be brought forth, im sure, to a conscious level, i believe that the majority of these realizations/peices of knowledge are first discovered/formed subconsciously. Ive gotta go, i'll answer any questions later, dont have time to check it over so dont be too harsh with mistakes/mistypes

Offlineunlikelyhero
Ramblin' Man

Loc: Lancaster (Uni), Darlingt...
    #1912052 - 09/13/03 08:46 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Is it not possible that homosexuality is instinctive and natural in the sense that it could be a biological defense mechanism to try and stall the unbelievable overpopulation of this world by humans?

UH

--------------------
They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference - Bill Hicks

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology