Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblemofo
Hobby Jingoist

Loc: Donkey Kong Kill Screen
So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins...
    #10315463 - 05/10/09 12:35 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

then science may well be able to reverse it one day.  The question is, should it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: mofo]
    #10315487 - 05/10/09 12:42 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Reverse it into what? What does it mean for homosexuality to be reversed?

--------------------

Invisiblemofo
Hobby Jingoist

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: Mufungo]
    #10315504 - 05/10/09 12:49 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

to make gay ppl straight Mufungo, thats what reverse it means.

InvisibleDieCommie

#10315536 - 05/10/09 01:02 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

If having a right to your own body means you have the right to destroy a fetus, then I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to alter a fetus with whatever genetic engineering you want.

OfflineSventington
am what I am what I am what I am

#10315539 - 05/10/09 01:05 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I think it's worth investigating, however I don't think it's something which should be forced on gays. I mean, if they're happy then they shouldn't be forced straight, if it's possible. In fact, brainwashing aside, I don't think it's something which is likely "treatable" once ones life begins, brainwashing aside. That said, it might be something that's preventable while a fetus is developing, but that's a hypothetical which I'm not really qualified to get into. I don't see how one could ethically test that though, you don't wanna just be shooting hormones into a developing fetus and playing trial and error with babies as they pop out.

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
    #10315557 - 05/10/09 01:11 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Oh ok, so kind of like unbending, or straightening out a metal rod. Will science be able to be bend it back again?

Will science be able to bend straight rods that have never been bent?

What about bisexuals?

If science makes it possible for people to change their sexual preference at a genetic level, will it necessarily change it at a social behavioural level? Assuming it will, then I can't see anything wrong with science helping people who want to make that change at a biological level. I can imagine a person who believes they are gay but who don't have the gay gene might want to get the change biologically. And vice versa... imagine if a homophobic guy found out that he had the gay gene! He'd probably want the reversal straight away!

Edit: my cynicism has resulted in this logical inconsistency damn it... oh well.

--------------------

Edited by Mufungo (05/10/09 01:15 AM)

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #10315561 - 05/10/09 01:11 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Depends. If it's something that can be done at any point in the person's life, then obviously it's up to them. If they want to be straight then they should be able to have the procedure, and vice-versa I guess.

But what if it can only be done at a very early point, like before conception? Then it's up to the parents. Faced with the option of ensuring their child is straight, I think many parents would choose it, even if they aren't homophobic at all. This would lead to a decline in the size of the gay population, with no one to blame.

And what if it cost a lot of money? What if wealthier people choose the option of ensuring their child is straight while others can't afford it? This could lower the socioeconomic status of gay people, to the extent that they loose the reputation of being trendy guys with good fashion sense.

Alternatively, choosing the sexual orientation of your baby could very easily be outlawed (it's illegal in many countries already, not sure about the US). Some people would still go to Mexico for the procedure though.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: zouden]
    #10315613 - 05/10/09 01:36 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I think most discourse on homosexuality is completely off target.

Looking for a 'gay' factor.

But what if the 'natural' man/woman sexual connection is an instinct, and some people just don't have that instinct so much. If you dont have the instinct to need or desire the opposite sex, then homosexuality is probably going to be the course of your behavior, because you can appreciate others of your own form and own bodily mechanics, and your own way of thinking. Sexuality for humans is so mental... being brought up in a world where boys and girls are seperated and issues to do with sexuality or being with the opposite sex are hush hushed, can lead a human mind to find a lot of solice and mental engagement with their own sex, because they have spent much of their emotional young days in gender-segregation during the most intimate or naked instances.

it seems that the human brain prefers to settle with one sexuality, too, because otherwise I cant understand why most gay people are gay.. as opposed to bisexual. I mean, the male and female bodies fit together rather well and complement eachother in many instances, and to deny the opposite sex seems like a rather different issue to desiring the same sex. . . if you see what I mean

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #10316375 - 05/10/09 09:38 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mofo said:
then science may well be able to reverse it one day.  The question is, should it?

The "if" belies the hypothetical nature of the question.

I don't think "science," which is actually a group of people, scientists, should be involved with anything to do with ethics.  Why?  Because science cannot decide ethical questions.  The domain of the scientist has to do with descriptive truth, not prescriptive truth.  Science can tell you what something is; it cannot tell you if it is good.

We have philosophers for that.  :smile:

--------------------

Invisibledeimya
tofu and monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: ausländer.ch
    #10316476 - 05/10/09 10:09 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

In Rome, there were no such word as "homosexual" or "heterosexual", only homosexual or heterosexual practices. One is not in a state of homosexuality, but rather does homosexual acts. There is nothing there to cure other than people's prejudices about what constitute the sexuality spectrum and what others shouldn't do with their life.

"Homosexuality" is a disease of the mind obsessed with the term, and as such an ethical problem first and foremost.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: deimya]
    #10316506 - 05/10/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You have a question by me in the patterns thread.

Aren't people categorized by their acts?

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #10316810 - 05/10/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:

The question is vague.  People are categorized by their acts by other people, but these categories are illusory.  There is no creator of categories, concepts, and meaning apart from the mind.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Invisibledeimya
tofu and monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: ausländer.ch
    #10316826 - 05/10/09 11:51 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, but mostly as a linguistic trick I would say. The problem stems from when language screws you over and one starts to associate certain "mental state" or "state of being" to what first qualifies as an intention, or will (à la Schopenhauer, rather then à la "free will") to experience one's own sexuality. By using language games like "state of", and by extension by applying strong labels to people engaging in sexual activities outside of one's comfort zone, one may be unwittingly bundling too many concepts together. By using "state of", one starts to think of homosexuality as homosexuals, as something you can move people in and out of, like marbles and boxes.

Should we seek the genetic underpinning of homosexuality in those who had 1% of all their sexual activities with people of the same sex ? 2% ? 10 % ? 50 % ? Whether there is a genetic predisposition or not to homosexual practices, I think it really comes down how comfortable one feels with it, and there lies the problem of moral and ethic, since one's comfort is more often then not directly related to one's social environment; how should one live, and how should one let others live.

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: DieCommie]
    #10316843 - 05/10/09 11:55 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Qubit said:
If having a right to your own body means you have the right to destroy a fetus, then I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to alter a fetus with whatever genetic engineering you want.

Care to explain your reasoning?

If you buy the God concept, then God not only alters nearly every fetus that comes into life with multiple genetic changes that have not yet been existent, (along with mutations to post-fetal organisms), but is the most prolific abortionist in the realm of life, well past the scope of modern human.

However, I do not understand the relation between the two issues. Care to elaborate? Aside from the fetus these two issues seem to be unrelated, and genetic engineering does not require work to be done in the fetus.

Although it does seem to be a lot easier to work with the genetics when you only have a few cells rather than billions or more.

~Monk

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: Lion]
    #10316936 - 05/10/09 12:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Lion said:
Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:

The question is vague.  People are categorized by their acts by other people, but these categories are illusory.  There is no creator of categories, concepts, and meaning apart from the mind.

If the mind creates a category or concept how is it not real?  Without concepts we are just dumb beasts.  Technology, based on concepts, evidences differently.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: deimya]
    #10316952 - 05/10/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

deimya said:
Yes, but mostly as a linguistic trick I would say. The problem stems from when language screws you over and one starts to associate certain "mental state" or "state of being" to what first qualifies as an intention, or will (� la Schopenhauer, rather then � la "free will") to experience one's own sexuality. By using language games like "state of", and by extension by applying strong labels to people engaging in sexual activities outside of one's comfort zone, one may be unwittingly bundling too many concepts together. By using "state of", one starts to think of homosexuality as homosexuals, as something you can move people in and out of, like marbles and boxes.

Should we seek the genetic underpinning of homosexuality in those who had 1% of all their sexual activities with people of the same sex ? 2% ? 10 % ? 50 % ? Whether there is a genetic predisposition or not to homosexual practices, I think it really comes down how comfortable one feels with it, and there lies the problem of moral and ethic, since one's comfort is more often then not directly related to one's social environment; how should one live, and how should one let others live.

Seems like a slippery slope.  If a person participates in exclusive heterosexual acts I label them heterosexual.  I'm comfortable with it and they probably are too.  Surveys and other types of polling escape your conundrum by labeling homosexuals as they self-identify themselves.  I have no problem with that either.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#10317218 - 05/10/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:
Quote:

Lion said:
Quote:

Mr. Mushrooms said:

If the mind creates a category or concept how is it not real?  Without concepts we are just dumb beasts.  Technology, based on concepts, evidences differently.

When the mind creates a dream, is that real?  No concept is accurate, all concepts being static impositions on dynamic processes.  Even concepts that facilitate the process of creation of new technology are illusions, as is the technology itself.

People are categorized by the way they act, yes, and how they are categorized is a function of the convention of the moment.  Any category is relatively real if given validity by a mind or minds, but ultimately illusory.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: Lion]
    #10317407 - 05/10/09 02:29 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I was expecting the question "Then how is it a reproductive advantage to be passed on to later generations, or how is it passed on at all?"

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: xFrockx]
    #10317423 - 05/10/09 02:35 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
I was expecting the question "Then how is it a reproductive advantage to be passed on to later generations, or how is it passed on at all?"

It isn't. I assumed that homosexuality was an evolutionary tool to eliminate unwanted genes from the gene pool or to prevent males from stealing womenz from the alpha male.

--------------------

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: learningtofly]
    #10317594 - 05/10/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

It can't be an evolutionary tool to eliminate unwanted genes. It doesn't work like that. But your other suggestion is quite plausible. There could be an advantage to the group in having males around that don't threaten the alpha male... however, this would mean that homosexuality isn't fully genetic, but just a genetic predisposition. If it was fully genetic then it would be selected out.

--------------------

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10321612 - 05/11/09 09:12 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

This article I've read before relates to this topic. Personally I beleive homosexuality is a choice, rather than a biologically determined trait.

Quote:

"Homosexuality Is Not Hardwired," Concludes Dr. Francis S. Collins, Head Of The Human Genome Project

By A. Dean Byrd, Ph.D, MBA, MPH

April 4, 2007 - Dr. Francis S. Collins, one of the world's leading scientists who works at the cutting edge of DNA, concluded that "there is an inescapable component of heritability to many human behavioral traits. For virtually none of them is heredity ever close to predictive."

Dr. Francis S. Collins
In reviewing the heritability (influence of genetic factors) of personality traits, Dr. Collins referenced the estimates of the percentage of various human personality traits that can be ascribed to heredity from the Bochard and McGue research.

The heritability estimates for personality traits were varied: General Cognitive Ability (50%), Extroversion (54%), Agreeableness (42%), Conscientiousness (49%), Neuroticism (48%), Openness (57%), Aggression (38%) and Traditionalism (54%).

Kirk et al. (2000) in their research using a community-based cohort of Australian twins reported a heritability estimate of 30% for homosexuality. Whitehead (1999, 2006) in his extensive review of the research cites 30% as the estimate of heritability for homosexuality as well, though he views the estimate as a maximum.

Estimates of heritability are based upon careful analyses of studies conducted with identical twins. Such studies are important and lead to the conclusion that heredity is important in many of these traits. It is important however, to note that even in such studies with identical twins, that heritability is not to be confused as inevitability.

As Dr. Collins would agree, environment can influence gene expression, and free will determines the response to whatever predispositions might be present.

Dr. Collins succinctly reviewed the research on homosexuality and offers the following: "An area of particularly strong public interest is the genetic basis of homosexuality. Evidence from twin studies does in fact support the conclusion that heritable factors play a role in male homosexuality. However, the likelihood that the identical twin of a homosexual male will also be gay is about 20% (compared with 2-4 percent of males in the general population), indicating that sexual orientation is genetically influenced but not hardwired by DNA, and that whatever genes are involved represent predispositions, not predeterminations."

Dr. Collins noted that environment, particularly childhood experiences as well as the role of free will choices affect all of us in profound ways. As researchers discover increasing levels of molecular detail about inherited factors that underlie our personalities, it's critical that such data be used to illuminate, not provide support to idealogues.

Citing such dangers, Dr. Collins referred to the book written by activist Dean Hamer who declared the discovery of the God Gene (this same author also is associated with "discovering the gay gene").

Dr. Collins noted that the "evidence" in Hamer's book "grabbed headlines," but was "wildly overstated."

A reviewer in Scientific American suggested that Hamer's book on the God Gene should have been titled, "A Gene That Accounts for Less than One Percent of the Variance Found in Scores on Psychological Questionnaires Designed to Measure a Factor Called Self-Transcendence, Which Can Signify Everything from Belonging to the Green Party to Believing in ESP, According to One Unpublished, Unreplicated Study."

Unfortunately, much of the research in areas such as homosexuality, has been not only misrepresented in the media but by the scientists themselves through the tendency to overestimate the quantitative contribution of their findings.

Perhaps the best example of this media misrepresentation was the two studies conducted by J. Michael Bailey. In Bailey's first study, he reported a concordance rate of 52%. In a second study, Bailey reported a concordance of 20-37.5%, depending on how loosely you define homosexuality. The first study received a great deal of press. The second study received almost no media attention.

Bailey himself acknowledged probable selection bias in his first study---he recruited in venues where "participants considered the sexual orientation of their co-twins before agreeing to participate." The second study, using the Australian Twin Registry with its anonymous response format, made such bias unlikely.

Regarding the contributions of genetics to areas such as homosexuality, Dr. Collins concluded, "Yes, we have all been dealt a particular set of cards, and the cards will eventually be revealed. But how we play the hand is up to us." *

Bailey, Michael J., Michael P. Dunne and Nicholas G. Martin (2000). Genetic and environmental influences on sexual orientation and its correlates in an Australian twin sample. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 78, 3, 524-536.

Collins, Francis S. (2006). The language of god, a scientist presents evidence for belief, New York: Free Press.

Kirk, K. M., J. M. Bailey, M. P. Dunne and N. G. Martin (2000). Measurement models for sexual orientation in a community twin sample. Behavior Genetics, 30, 4, 2000, 345-356.

Whitehead, Neil and Briar (1999). My Genes Made Me Do It! A Scientific Look at Sexual Orientation. Lafayette, Louisiana: Huntington House Press.

Whitehead, Neil (2006). "What do first ages of SSA or OSA tell us about their origins?" In NARTH Collected Papers.

* Dr. Steve Simon (in an email correspondence) noted quite appropriately that heritability is a measure of the ratio of two variances and is not a simple proportion. A heritability index and a proportion are calculated on different scales. In this case, however, both the data from the heritability index and the proportion support the conclusion that homosexuality is not hardwired (or simply biologically fated). Though Dr. Collins offered a 20% concordance for monozygotic twins, it should be noted that this figure is the proband concordance. This is mathematically correct. However, Dr. Neil Whitehead offered a correct pairwise concordance of 11%. For the lay audience, it should be understood that different answers will emerge with different models. However, the conclusion is the same: current data provides little evidence to support the conclusion that homosexuality is hardwired.

Updated: 8 February 2008

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Edited by cyb3rtr0n (05/11/09 09:14 AM)

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #10322974 - 05/11/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

That article doesn't indicate that homosexuality is a choice. It says that the heritability might be as low as 20%, which still means it's genetic but the genetic predisposition isn't very strong. There are other factors involved that we aren't aware of. Possibly psychology will help uncover them. But whatever they are, they probably aren't conscious factors that people can change.

Schizophrenia doesn't appear to be genetic either but you'd hardly say that it's a choice.

--------------------

OfflineTrepiodos
Disgustipated
 User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles County Jail
    #10323702 - 05/11/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I think that homosexuality (meaning a pre-disposition towards finding another of the same sex sexually attractive - my definition) is a product of hormones on the development of the brain and the reinforcement of neural pathways  by a variety of factors.  I do not think it is genetic as much as a product of conditions in the womb affecting the brain's development (meaning, congenital).  It may even arise after birth when ratios or levels of hormones and/or social conditions affect the strength and/or reinforcement of neural pathways.

I remember being taught about a phemonema known as a behavioral sink, in which rats raised in what eventually became crowded conditions gave rise to 'abnormal sexual behavior' (homosexuality), among other social changes.  These changes were observed when a certain spatial density of individuals was reached.  It is know that stress factors will affect hormone levels in individuals.  It is also known that hormone levels in pregnant mothers will affect will in turn will affect the brain development of the fetus.

It is my contention, that the rise of homosexuality may be a natural response to decrease the incidence of child birth when population densities become too great to sustain a species except with sub-optimal conditions which could result in the incidence of widespread disease and/or starvation resulting in increased mortality, leading to the end of a healthy breeding population.  In other words, homosexuality may be a natural safety valve which serves, in certain situations, to help ensure the survival of the species by lowering the birth rate.    Perhaps this is why individuals may be 'born gay.'

Why on earth should anyone try to reverse it?

--------------------

And as things fell apart,
Nobody paid much attention...

- David Byrne, '(Nothing But) Flowers' from the Talking Heads' album, 'Naked'

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10325013 - 05/11/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

the part about choice was my opinion, and you quoted it out of context.

In the article I posted the Dr. was targeting a study that was widely used and publicized. Scientifically proved it incorrect, but stated that environment plays a key factor in the predisposition of homosexuality. also, the study he was disputing, the subjects knew what they were taking part in, it was somewhat biased.

schizophrenia is a mental illness there is treatment for that. In the early 70's homosexuality was also a mental illness, but it was taken off the list by force and persuasion rather than scientifically.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10325431 - 05/12/09 01:47 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

the part about choice was my opinion, and you quoted it out of context.

:confused: I didn't quote anything?

Yes, I agree that the environment plays a key factor in the predisposition of homosexuality. But that doesn't make it a choice.

--------------------

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10325519 - 05/12/09 02:23 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

that doesn't make it a choice.

which of the following do you consider a choice for us.

1. pedophile
2. depression
3. murder
4. incest
5. homosexuality
6. language
7. race
8. gender

Of the above they are all choices, except for race and gender. This is what I meant by choice. Besides "pleasure" Sex has only one intention, that is to reproduce. But, I also think that people should have the right in that choice; so as long as it doesn't affect another person, or as long as they are willing to suffer the repercussions of their choice as in the case of a murderer etc.

Everyone has the choice to become a homosexual, ~98% of the population chose not to.

surgical procedures aside, nobody has the choice in their race, or gender.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10325605 - 05/12/09 03:09 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Depression isn't a choice either, since it has a biological cause beyond our control. There's some debate over whether pedophilia is the same, though of course committing a pedophilic act is a choice. In any case, it's not as clear as you make it out to be. Why do 98% of people 'choose' to be straight? Why not 70%, or 100%? Why would anyone choose to be gay?

I think being gay is a choice just as much as being left-handed is.

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#10325919 - 05/12/09 06:30 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Like the appendix, there's a good reason why homosexuality is there. Who knows what it is? Maybe during conception, the ova and sperm go "Uh oh, not a good genetic mix here. Better make them gay/sterile".

It's probably not that. I don't claim to have the answer. But, there is a problem with it. If homosexuality was engineered out (Doubtful, promiscuous people will have homosexual sex even if they aren't gay) it'd make people less accepting to it.

And, if gayness can be bred out, what about ginger people, black people? Asians? Let's just have the master race!

--------------------

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10326972 - 05/12/09 12:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I was saying 98% choosing not to be, assuming 2% of the total population chose to be homosexual. I'm not sure the exact numbers of the population which are homosexual.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Edited by cyb3rtr0n (05/12/09 12:18 PM)

Offlinedeathbydefault
RACOON RIDER X-TREME

#10332253 - 05/13/09 12:54 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I think that a treatment should be available for those who wish not to be afflicted anymore , if it is indeed a genetic problem, there will likely be screening tests available in the future to help parents choose whether or not to proceed...

Offlinejkeps
Mushaman
Male

Loc: Near Portland, Oregon
Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: Trepiodos]
    #10332296 - 05/13/09 01:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Trepiodos said:
Why on earth should anyone try to reverse it?

Seriously! In my opinion, what needs reversed is ignorance and bigotry.

--------------------
:mushroom2:We are always acting on what has just finished happening. It happened at least 1/30th of a second ago. We think we’re in the present, but we aren’t. The present we know is only a movie of the past:mushroom2:

OfflineSventington

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #10332902 - 05/13/09 03:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:

And, if gayness can be bred out, what about ginger people, black people? Asians? Let's just have the master race!

As far as red hair is concerned, I believe it isn't expected to be around that much longer. 6 generations of something like that. I heard it was a recessive gene, although I'm not entirely sure what that means. In any event it's going away on its own!

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: Sventington]
    #10332991 - 05/13/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

So is blonde hair :frown:

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#10333015 - 05/13/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:

Is that true?  I thought that UN study was a myth, or at least an exaggeration.

I mean, yea it makes sense - but Im skeptical if the data supports it.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10333077 - 05/13/09 03:50 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Oh! I hadn't followed it up.

Oh man, thanks for mentioning it:

Quote:

Disappearing blonde gene is a hoax that has periodically surfaced in the media since 1865,[1] with the most recent version starting in 2002. According to this hoax, the World Health Organization, or other experts, published a report claiming that people with blond hair "will become extinct by 2202."

The report was a hoax. Neither the WHO, nor any reputable expert has issued such a report.

The extinction claim is based on an interpretation of recessiveness in genetics. However unless blondness is positively selected against, it cannot become extinct, and the blond gene, or alleles for the trait cannot disappear by simple breeding.

:cheer:

--------------------

OfflineSventington

#10333108 - 05/13/09 03:55 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Does this mean red is staying around too?

InvisibleDieCommie

#10333191 - 05/13/09 04:12 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

This is just due to statistics of mendelian traits right?  If you released a group w/recessive into a very large pool w/dominate then you would dilute the recessives to where they no longer get expressed.  Even though in the end you would have just as many "little bs" as you started with, they would just be paired with "big Bs" and thus blonds would fall off dramatically.  Assuming globalization continues, why wouldn't this happen?

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10333246 - 05/13/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Seems like it:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/genetic-science/redhead-extinction.htm

Qubit: that doesn't eliminate the gene, though. It explains why blonde (or red) hair is not as common as dark hair. It won't fall dramatically because it never was very high to begin with. I don't think the frequency of blonde hair will change very much unless there's a lot more racial mixing going on in future.

--------------------

Invisiblemofo
Hobby Jingoist

#10334677 - 05/13/09 08:40 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

now, I'm no geneticist, but I always thought the implications of a "gay gene" were pretty interesting.  For instance, it would seem logical that in actuality a traditionalist culture, in which homosexuality is discouraged may well help a gay gene get passed on, by encouraging homosexuals to seek out family life and reproduce, while progressive culture on the other hand may well hasten its extinction by encouraging clearly less fecund gay unions.  Who knows, its probably more complicated than that tho.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#10336350 - 05/14/09 04:40 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting, I hadn't thought about it like that before. :strokebeard:

--------------------

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#10336636 - 05/14/09 07:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Qubit said:
Quote:

zouden said:

Is that true?  I thought that UN study was a myth, or at least an exaggeration.

I mean, yea it makes sense - but Im skeptical if the data supports it.

It is a myth, Michael Critchon talks about it in one of his books, the one about human-animal hybrids and gene patents.

--------------------

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #10337192 - 05/14/09 10:57 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

in my expereince for BI guys its about being the biggest whore you can be and taking it from every side you can to try to get the most pleasure. i dunno about gays they kinda disgust me in most cases

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: thedudenj]
    #10339484 - 05/14/09 06:33 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Why do they disgust you? they're not having sex with you or anything.

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: Redstorm]
    #10339535 - 05/14/09 06:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

dude sometimes they try... this bi guy tried to get me to have sex with him and his girl friend he didnt love me tho and his girl friend did and we ended up doing our own thing and they broke up lol it was hot tho. i still love her we keep in touch almost a year later i really dislike people that dont love me but try to get in my pants

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Offlinehummermania00
Strange Son of aBitch
Male

Re: So if homosexuality is genetic in its origins... [Re: thedudenj]
    #10339827 - 05/14/09 07:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The latest results of a certain nameless scientific study on homosexuality:

25% of the men who are homosexual were born that way.

The rest were sucked into it.:lol:

--------------------
You are a fortunate person indeed, if you can begin each day accepting the fact that during that day there will be ups and downs, good breaks and bad ones, disappointments, surprises, and unexpected turns of events.

When you have solved all the mysteries of life you long for death, for it is but another mystery of life.

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

#14364184 - 04/27/11 10:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I feel I have something to contribute here. People don't "turn" gay, they DISCOVER it. If you talk to a gay person, they will usually tell you that prior to discovering they were gay, they had felt different from their peers yet at the time they didn't know why they felt different (Kind of like the first time doing acid, when it kicks in, SOMETHING feels different but you don't know what it is or how to describe it). Once they hit puberty, they are attracted to the same gender and it is then that they realize that they are gay and that is why they have felt different from everyone else. I happen to be gay and that is how it was for me and for everyone else who I know that is gay. I discovered I was gay when I was 11. How? I was looking at porn on the internet, chicks weren't doing it for me, but when I started looking at the guys...BINGO! Guys are hot.

So for you to think that homosexuality can be "reversed" is just incorrect thinking. They were never straight to begin with, so therefore, there is nothing to be reversed.

Update: After reading a couple posts on here, I question: Why do people associate homosexuality with the act of SEX? Gay has nothing to do with sex, and neither does straight. You can be straight and be a virgin and still know that you're straight. Gay people who are virgins know they are gay because they are drawn to the same gender. I mean, personally, at this point in my life, I chose to be abstinent, just like how millions of straight people choose to be abstinent.

Not all gay people like to "take it up the ass" or "pack fudge." I find those statements to be very offensive honestly. It just shows ignorance. First of all, it takes a real man to be able to take dick up his ass, and second, most bottoms use enema devices prior to sex which completely gets rid of any "fudge." Just tellin' it how it is.

Edited by occollegeboi (04/27/11 10:49 PM)

Offlinepouihi
Mary Jane Doe
 User Gallery

#14364975 - 04/28/11 02:17 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mofo said:

:confused2:

but... if homosexuality were genetic, then how would homosexuals be conceived?
That would imply all homosexuals being born from artificial insemination, and you would always have to find a lesbian willing to donate ovules, but this already contradicts what happens nowadays.
Most homosexuals are born from heterosexual couples, who got here with their family practicing heterosexuality, :confused2:

I think that has no logic you're sexual choice is about what turns you on, or would you say a kinky heterosexual is differenced of a non-kinky heterosexual by genetics??

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds