Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Pink Floyd

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYou_are_God
^So are We^
Loc: The Dream Game...
Vegan Diet...
    #1503576 - 04/29/03 08:46 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hello everyone this is my first post but I have been following these boards for awhile now. It is great to see so many "enlightened" people in one spot. Now I was curious as to how many of you are vegetarians and if this played an important role in your personal evolution. Diet is one part of life that many people overlook and is extremely important for many reasons... Looking forward to hearing your take on this aspect of life/energy exchange.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecleaner
Stranger

Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: You_are_God]
    #1503615 - 04/29/03 09:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

*Raises hand*
I am a vegetarian, sort of.

Not because i don't like meat but because there are no good meats out there.

Current meat industry is horrednous, they add all kinds of shit to your supermarket ham, little do you know :wink:

Anyway, i eat meat less than once a month.

Do you have any idea how many tasty exotic animals lived one on this planet? All that's left is beef and chicken.

Everone eats it day after day and loving it. Stupid apes.

Also there are 2500 mind altering substances that once grew on the face of the earth, yet domesticated apes are happy with one, most horrible type of drug alchohol - and nouse up, happy walking around drinking it day after day for the rest of thier robotic lives not wanting to hear anything else.

I'll shut up now ...

--------------------

Edited by cleaner (04/29/03 09:28 AM)

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: cleaner]
    #1503722 - 04/29/03 10:44 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

"Also there are 2500 mind altering substances that once grew on the face of the earth, yet domesticated apes are happy with one, most horrible type of drug alchohol"

That's because alcohol is available from any plant, any place on earth.

Alcohol has its benefits, and even though you choose to blindly lump all of its users into one catagory, many intelligent, rational people use alcohol. Some of humanities greatest artists, thinkers, politicians, etc. have been alcoholics who never even heard of psychedelics.

I don't eat a whole lot of meat, but I do love a few meat things.

Meat eating is natural, without animals eating other animals, we'd never be here today.

In today's rich western society, it's easy to be healthy without eating meat, but keep in mind that if the wealth of the planet weren't so unbalanced, we wouldn't have this luxury.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinecleaner
Stranger

Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: Phluck]
    #1503743 - 04/29/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Alcohol has its benefits, and even though you choose to blindly lump all of its users into one catagory, many intelligent, rational people use alcohol.

Except i wasn't talking about them, i'm on about the rest 99% of users :tongue:

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1503753 - 04/29/03 10:58 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

"Except i wasn't talking about them, i'm on about the rest 99% of users"

It's not alcohol that does that. I'd say the majority of mushroom users are idiots too. If they aren't taking 5 grams and going to a frat party, they're thinking they've discovered the secrets of the universe just because they took a huge dose while listening to Pink Floyd.

I've met many people who use psychedelics who I would catagorize as stupid, cruel, or both.

Drugs do not create or destroy knowledge and intelligence. All of that comes from within, nobody needs chemicals to unlock it, but sometimes they can help a little, or make it a lot more fun.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinecleaner
Stranger

Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: Phluck]
    #1503782 - 04/29/03 11:11 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I agree , however, remember when Leary was conducting expirements with LSD on hopless prisoners?

Study showed that their intelligence inceased considerably, can't remember the figures but Wilson said iq was up 10% at least.

--------------------

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1504055 - 04/29/03 01:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

people who categorize themselves are funny. Like calling themselves "normal" "vegetarian" or "vegan." Cause it's kinda ridiculous to think that there are only three diets people can have. Meat's good stuff, we never would have developed our brains without it. There's probably a meat out there for you, just keep looking, cause when you find it there's nothing more handy than a slab of animal to keep your body going.

OfflineYou_are_God
^So are We^
Loc: The Dream Game...
Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: Dogomush]
    #1504437 - 04/29/03 02:42 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Although meat is a great way to get easy "pre-packaged" protein we should be way beyond that as a race nowadays. Go into any grocery store and look in the health food section and there are nearly endless varieties of meat free foods covering all dietary needs. Obviously the food that you eat is the energy that fuels your life and I personally do not want the energy from animal carcasses that were not only raised/killed in a horrendous fashion, but have all of the hormones and additives. I also think that our bodies digest plant matter much faster and easier. Since I recently cessated from the meats I have noticed my energy levels increase by great amounts and digestion happens much faster. With this extra energy that also comes from a more pure source I simply feel better and have more free energy for anything that I choose. Stopping meats is not the only thing, but getting correct amounts of vitamins/minerals etc is also extremely important. I have nothing against people that eat meat but you all know that part of personal progression is diverting from the status quo and this not only aids in that, it also makes you feel better from the inside out. It is like a drug in itsself.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1504461 - 04/29/03 02:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I eat meat. lots and lots of meat. hell I probably consumed dozens of whole cows in my lifetime and hundreds of chicken and pigs and fish. meat is good. meat is life.

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1505288 - 04/29/03 06:52 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

"Except i wasn't talking about them, i'm on about the rest 99% of users"
"one, most horrible type of drug alchohol"

thats a really ignorant statement.....first off, the most horrible drug?,

how is it the most horrible? a glass of wine everyday serves as a nice relaxent, and is proven to have beneficial effects on your body.

alcohol does not have the same effect on everyone, it all depends on how the individual reacts to the drug.....generalizations are stupid.

phluck made a really good point, the majority of people that I know who use mushrooms, see it as nothing more than a different way to get
"fucked up".....just like alcohol,

and I know lots of people who use alcohol in an intelligent manner as well....it does loosen up a humans ability to communicate...thusly making it easier for people to talk, write, sing etc. thats not so bad eh?

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Edited by atomikfunksoldier (04/29/03 06:54 PM)

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1505306 - 04/29/03 06:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I eat meat all the time. I've also tried going vegetarian for a week at a time or so. Ever wonder why there are meatless imitation meats for so-called vegetarians?
If you were a 'real' vegetarian, you wouldn't even feel the need to eat tofu that's dressed up like turkey.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1505726 - 04/29/03 09:00 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

How iz meat bad for you?

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: Murex]
    #1505762 - 04/29/03 09:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Meat, like anything, is bad for you if you eat it too much.

Heart disease, for one.

A little meat is important, but from my perspective, western society eats waaaay too much meat. Many meals revolve around it. Case in point: Fast Food.

Moderation is key, yet again.

The exact same could be said for this side alcohol discussion.

--------------------

Edited by Shroomism (04/29/03 09:18 PM)

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: Shroomism]
    #1505875 - 04/29/03 09:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I can't believe it... I just spent half an hour replying to this and there was an error when I tried to post... I tried to go back, but I lost everything... :frown:

Well... I will give a summary of what I wrote, although the overall effect will be lost. Damnit! Anyways, I am a scholar of nutrition, so I know a thing or two about all this.

Basically we are biologically designed to be vegetarian. Look at the animal kingdom for proof of this, and compare to the design of the human body. Herbivores Vs. Carnivores.

Carnivores all have certain things in common. They have long, sharp teeth and a jaw that only moves up and down, for the purpose of ripping and tearing at freshly hunted carcasses. They all have sharp claws or nails designed for the same purpose. Their intestines are short, so that they can get rid of the meat they consume faster, because meat tends to stay in the digestive tract in humans for up to 3 days, while traces remain even longer in the inner lining of the intestines and the colon, putrifying and causing harmful buildups over time. Carnivores also usually have great speed and natural hunting ability.

Now herbivores... their teeth are more flat, with molars and jaws which move from side to side as well as up and down, designed for grinding fruits and vegetables. They have longer intestinal tracts to absorb the plethora of vitamins that come with fruits and vegetables. They have paws, hands, or use their mouths to get their food.

Human beings have hands with fingers, perfectly designed for plucking fruits and vegetables from their trees and bushes. We have molars and sideways-moving jaws. We don't have sharp teeth or claws designed for ripping flresh from a dead animal.

So what makes more sense to you, that we are herbivores, or carnivores?

Another thing I mentioned was the treatment of animals in today's society of mass consumerism, convenience and indulgence. With the growing world population, the demand for meats has also increased, and the space available to produce meat has declined. This means that meat farmers are forced to take all kinds of shortcuts and "cheat" in order to maximize their meat production for maximum profits so that they can earn a living. Cows and chickens are pumped full of all kinds of synthetic growth hormones which remain in their cells after they are killed and even cooked. We are eating those chemicals. Milk production has increased up to 20 times in some cows since the 1800's when no growth hormones were used.

There are so many facts I could give you about all this. I have a document that I wrote a while ago that discusses it. If you are interested in hearing more please send me a private message, because I have a lot to say in favour of avoiding ALL animal products. Wish I had the time to rewrite that whole post, but I've gotta run!

On a final note, what would you rather put in your body... a delicious, fresh, water-rich, vitamin-packed piece of fruit, which is fully digested and absorbed within an hour... or a piece of meat, which takes up to 3 days to fully process and drains your body's energy to digest? To me the choice is very simple, and I think it would be to anybody who studies nutrition and natural hygiene from non-government sources. The reason for that is because the government supports meat and dairy farmers because they too profit from it, and their economy would crash if people were given the real facts about meat and dairy.

Anyways gotta run, bye! 

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1505881 - 04/29/03 09:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

there is a strange, twisted obsession around eating meat in our culture.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1505886 - 04/29/03 10:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

We have sharp teeth. They are called incisors. I don't think you need to choose herbivore or carnivore. Being an omnivore works nicely in providing both essential vitamins, fiber, and protein in the human diet.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1505892 - 04/29/03 10:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I would agree with you, that we are designed to be herbivores, for the most part. I would much rather eat a luscious juicy peach or strawberry to some dead cow. However I have come to understand that a little meat every now and then is good, for grounding purposes, to avoid becoming to "light" or "dreamyheaded"..I don't know how else to describe it. However this meat every now and then I am talking about perhaps a chicken wing every week or two. The amount of meat some people eat is quite rediculous. By far, my foods of choice are fruits, grains, and vegetables. However I do need a piece of meat every once in a while for grounding purposes.

I do understand the mass reproduction of animals, the chemicals involved, the cruel treatment, and low quality of meat. I would much rather have fish freshly caught in the wild, or a wild animal, than one raised on a farm for my occasional meat needs.

--------------------

OfflineAmnesiac

Re: Vegan Diet... [Re: Dogomush]
    #1505900 - 04/29/03 10:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, it's almost perverse. I think it's obsolete impulses from 100,000 years ago that some of us haven't quite evolved out of. Sorry to sound superior there, but I really do think that in terms of where our evolution is headed, meat eating is just a vestige of our past... and only to be resorted to our of necessety or desperation for the modern human.

One more thing to think about... if, every time you wanted to eat some meat, you had to hunt down an animal, capture it and tear it apart with your bare hands and teeth, then eat it, blood guts and all... would you still bother? I doubt it... and if you say yes, then I reccomend psychological counselling!

We live in a society so removed from the necessary processes that turn a living animal into a cooked, dead hamburger. We live in an age of convenience, consumerism and indulgence. If we would just think about what millions of animals have to go through EVERY day just because we self-righteous, compassionless humans want to eat some meat. It's disgusting if you just allow yourself to think about it.

I challenge all of you meat eaters to go to a farm, look into the eyes of a cow, touch it watch it nurse its calves, and then murder one so that you and your family can have hamburgers for lunch. Come on people, think about it.

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

OfflineAmnesiac

#1505930 - 04/29/03 10:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Oh yeah, after studying nutrition and natural hygiene for 4 years now, I can tell you that eating meat for vitmains or protein is completely unneccessary and inefficient. It's the lingering old way of thinking that causes us to believe that we need meat for protein, or even that it is a good source. Yes, meat contains protein, but it is a coarse type of protein, animal proteins which our human digestive systems lack the proper enzymes for proper utilization. Yes, meat is full of protein. Can our bodies use it? Not really.

What you need to get your body protein is the essential amino acids, which form ALL proteins in the body. You need to give your body these amino acids and allow your body to use them to construct "customized" proteins that your body can use. Where do you get these amino acids? From fruits, vegetables, legumes and grain, not from any meat or dairy product.

Shroomerism, I don't know what you mean about needing some meat for grounding purposes... or to keep you from floating away or become too light... to be honest, and with a great deal of respect because I have loved reading your posts for a while now, I would have to say that your need for that feeling is a psychological conditioning from your past, and not a biological necessity. Meat propaganda is around since we are introduced to school and television. Some of that subliminal stuff sticks with you for quite a while until you can find the moment where you made the choice to believe something, erase it, and reason it out using the wisdom you have gained through the years.

If you meditate on this it may be helpful.

Take care!

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1505936 - 04/29/03 10:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

You are right on my friend, and I am with you, yet I still think that a little meat, is important for some people. If I had to choose I would say we should only eat an animal lower on the evolutionary chain, with what we could consider limited self-awareness. We could even genetically create a brainless generic chicken like animal for this purpose. People are always going to eat meat, whether it be for survival, or just because. Your quest to awaken them is noble, a good step in the right direction, which I support. If it is any consolation, certain..shall we say.. higher evolved intelligent sentient beings.. are almost strictly vegetarian..99% of their diet consists of grains, nuts, fruits, vegetables, and such. Yet among a fairly significant percentage of them, they choose to eat a tiny amount of meat every once in a while, for the purposes I stated earlier. They have created a genetically altered, brainless version of what we would perceive as similar to a rabbit. However they eat this only very rarely, when they feel they need it, for grounding. And even then only a small amount. They are vegetarians, that eat a piece of meat every once in a while.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Pink Floyd

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology