Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: Vegetarians and Vegans [Re: Icelander]
    #5753732 - 06/15/06 04:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I definitely appreciate the responses.

My plan has always been to become a vegetarian or vegan at some point in my life, but I figure that so long as I'm a healthy young man, meat is a good thing for me because I can handle it without a problem.

I do have contempt for people's belligerance when it comes to animal treatment. They are obviously uncaring. Consider this, though. If you boycotted every product that was available to you because of the immoral actions of the company selling it, you would be avoiding wood from deforestation, all kinds of food, and so many other things that I cannot even contemplate it. I respect people's decisions to be vegetarians or vegans for that reason, but that is just the way the world works. If it were up to me, society would change as a whole. Until then, I am about %.00000001 of the problem.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Vegetarians and Vegans [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #5753752 - 06/15/06 04:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hobbitcg said:
I definitely appreciate the responses.

My plan has always been to become a vegetarian or vegan at some point in my life, but I figure that so long as I'm a healthy young man, meat is a good thing for me because I can handle it without a problem.

I do have contempt for people's belligerance when it comes to animal treatment. They are obviously uncaring. Consider this, though. If you boycotted every product that was available to you because of the immoral actions of the company selling it, you would be avoiding wood from deforestation, all kinds of food, and so many other things that I cannot even contemplate it. I respect people's decisions to be vegetarians or vegans for that reason, but that is just the way the world works. If it were up to me, society would change as a whole. Until then, I am about %.00000001 of the problem.

meat is far more heinous than a lot of other product related industries, though, wouldn't you say?

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

#5753760 - 06/15/06 04:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

people are too buisey working to give a crap about anything else. The way the gov works is by introducing new things for people to want. The more they want the more they work and the more they work the less people getting uppety and the less people getting uppety the less problems the gov has.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Vegetarians and Vegans [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #5753777 - 06/15/06 04:19 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

working is a huge scam if you ask me.

all you need is enough to eat, and have basic shelter. maybe a few entertainments now and then.

--------------------

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Vegetarians and Vegans [Re: leery11]
    #5753830 - 06/15/06 04:33 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The houses we have now are perfect except for the fact you have no choice on which monopoly you buy into weather its electric, nat gas, or oil. I feel that the more we work within our own comunities and the closer we get with our neighbors and such, the more we will break away from our secluded noncomunal life styles that use gadgetry and technology as a way of entertaining us daily till the day we get bored or get smart.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5753860 - 06/15/06 04:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

leery11 said:
meat is far more heinous than a lot of other product related industries, though, wouldn't you say?

I'd say it's no more heinous than oil.

--------------------

OfflineDeviate
    #5754060 - 06/15/06 05:57 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well Buddha ate meat and he was able to reach enlightenment so I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember, Jesus said "Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man."

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Vegetarians and Vegans [Re: Deviate]
    #5754347 - 06/15/06 07:19 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

as for Buddhism most sects favor vegetarianism....

monks are forbidden to eat meat if an animal is killed specifically for them. otherwise if they are begging and it is offered, they will take it (but keep in mind they really needed food then!)

in societies where choice exists, a Buddhist concerned with compassion for sentient beings would absolutely refuse to perpetuate the atrocities that go on in this nation by buying meat.

if he did eat it, he would eat it very mindful that what is going into his mouth suffered a terrible life and a terrible death just to feed him.

Therevadans eat meat (i think) and Tibetans eat meat because of their history of not having access to a lot of vegetables.

But one of the utmost staples of Buddhism is that we are not different than animals, for surely we have been or could become one through rebirth.... that all sentient beings are to be liberated... even demons in hell realms. That all sentient beings are to be given compassion and loving kidness no matter what they are.

This is directly against meat eating!

As for Jesus you are right, the Bible seems to advocate meat eating, and animal sacrifice.... and war.... and genocide....... but as for Jesus I suppose based upon the little we know about "him" you are right.

Though I am very ignorant about the contents of the gnostic gospels and even the Biblical ones, he could have said something contrary somewhere..... I'm no authority on this.

Also I would research Buddha and meat because I read a very lengthy discussion of this and the consensus seemed to be that he didn't eat meat... but I don't entirely recall.

Nevertheless, the only reason the Dalai Lama ate meat was because he had to for his health, and he has since given it up and encourages others to as well.

and if you ARE the Buddha you are free from karma, so if you eat meat it's a bit different than sizzling up a steak chugging up some beers and gorging in, savoring the demise of a cow with no concern for his plight.

the most important thing my perhaps guilt oriented mind has pulled from Buddhism regarding food, is that Americans are likely to become hungry ghosts based upon their unrelentless and non-compassionate gluttony at the expense of large portions of the world starving while they sit and watch TV and don't give to charity or try to give some of their wealth back.

we are basically in the deva realms, as far as humans go, and most devas don't bother cultivating much........

Now I'm no saint and I haven't done a lot to help people... I have consumed so much it isn't even funny... but I'm just saying if you want to throw Buddhism into it, one of the single most important things Americans can do is be mindful of their eating if they want to avoid much ill karma.

--------------------

Edited by leery11 (06/15/06 07:22 PM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #5754486 - 06/15/06 07:47 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You know what the worst thing about eating a vegetable is?

The wheelchair.  :grin:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Vegetarians and Vegans [Re: Diploid]
    #5754500 - 06/15/06 07:51 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I like crunchy vegetables. :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offline5gisd
letters and a #
Re: Vegetarians and Vegans [Re: Icelander]
    #5755636 - 06/16/06 12:57 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i have some points but first the whole plants being sentient thing... plants are sentient and buddhists believe this, that's why some kinds of die-hard buddhism(i think buddhism in it's purist) only eat nuts and fruit, because they fall naturally from the tree and are 'given' to us. fruit seems symbolic in some way i can't really pull forth.

anywaaays there are two ways most people look at it, either that we are a naturally meat consuming species so why not, just flow with it, or that our whole purpose is to seperate ourselves from the animal (buddhism...)

i guess arguing for the latter is that if you were really in your purest form, if you were a child, if you were in a very emotionally sensitive state, could you look straight into an animal's eyes and know that you would be ending it's life without thinking about it just to fulfill imediate desires? you know somewhere in your head that this is wrong. there wouldn't be the doubt there in the first place without it. this is about honesty and intellectual instincts...

the real point of being vegetarian isn't to not eat meat i think, it's to realize what you're doing if you eat meat. and you have to stop eating meat for a while to realize this... I liked what leery11 said... about how the buddha it wouldn't matter if he was eating meat or not... yeah

and don juan, he knew too. he said when he ate part of a plant, he would sympathize with it and say to it, 'thanks plant, remember that when i die i will be buried and i can give this energy back to you.' or something along those lines. He knew that this was just a temporary exchange and none of the parties involved were real anyways...

I don't see why anyone would go vegan just for their ideas of global welfare... or i think that is a mask for the real reason, that people know in the other 98% of their brains somewhere.

Edited by 5gisd (06/16/06 01:04 AM)

OfflineDeviate
    #5755999 - 06/16/06 03:18 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

leery11 said:
as for Buddhism most sects favor vegetarianism....

monks are forbidden to eat meat if an animal is killed specifically for them. otherwise if they are begging and it is offered, they will take it (but keep in mind they really needed food then!)

in societies where choice exists, a Buddhist concerned with compassion for sentient beings would absolutely refuse to perpetuate the atrocities that go on in this nation by buying meat.

if he did eat it, he would eat it very mindful that what is going into his mouth suffered a terrible life and a terrible death just to feed him.

Therevadans eat meat (i think) and Tibetans eat meat because of their history of not having access to a lot of vegetables.

But one of the utmost staples of Buddhism is that we are not different than animals, for surely we have been or could become one through rebirth.... that all sentient beings are to be liberated... even demons in hell realms. That all sentient beings are to be given compassion and loving kidness no matter what they are.

This is directly against meat eating!

As for Jesus you are right, the Bible seems to advocate meat eating, and animal sacrifice.... and war.... and genocide....... but as for Jesus I suppose based upon the little we know about "him" you are right.

Though I am very ignorant about the contents of the gnostic gospels and even the Biblical ones, he could have said something contrary somewhere..... I'm no authority on this.

Also I would research Buddha and meat because I read a very lengthy discussion of this and the consensus seemed to be that he didn't eat meat... but I don't entirely recall.

Nevertheless, the only reason the Dalai Lama ate meat was because he had to for his health, and he has since given it up and encourages others to as well.

and if you ARE the Buddha you are free from karma, so if you eat meat it's a bit different than sizzling up a steak chugging up some beers and gorging in, savoring the demise of a cow with no concern for his plight.

the most important thing my perhaps guilt oriented mind has pulled from Buddhism regarding food, is that Americans are likely to become hungry ghosts based upon their unrelentless and non-compassionate gluttony at the expense of large portions of the world starving while they sit and watch TV and don't give to charity or try to give some of their wealth back.

we are basically in the deva realms, as far as humans go, and most devas don't bother cultivating much........

Now I'm no saint and I haven't done a lot to help people... I have consumed so much it isn't even funny... but I'm just saying if you want to throw Buddhism into it, one of the single most important things Americans can do is be mindful of their eating if they want to avoid much ill karma.

I'm aware of most everything in your post and I happen to be a vegetarian myself. what I was trying to refute was the idea that you must be a vegetarian in order to reach a certain level of consciousness. Maybe I'm wrong though and there are extra spiritual benefits to not eating meat.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom