Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Offlineshanti
dude
 User Gallery

Re: Spirituality and Diet [Re: looner2]
    #3395652 - 11/22/04 08:44 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Looner2, I was replying to someone looking for help on a meat diet to vegan transfer, though I do support a vegan diet for health reasons alone besides the great ethical and enviromental reasons.

There are really many reasons why a vegan diet is OPTIMAL for health. And anyone truly looking for a connection between food and spirituality must read "Conscience Eating" by Gabriel Cousens.

Quickly, I'll address a few issues with the consumption of animal carcass. I'll ommit the obvious argument that meat is harmful becuase of the chemicals added becuase I am sure your aware of that.
The Journal of the American Medical Association said: "Ninety to ninety-seven percent of heart disease can be prevented by a vegetarian diet."

Studies have shown a link between meat-eating and cancer of the colon, rectum, breast, and uterus.
Flesh-eating animals have short intestinal tracts, and we've got the long intestinal tract of a herbivore.

Reliable worldwide research has shown that we only need 35 to 45 grams of protein. Protein consumed in excess of the actual daily need is not only wasted, but actually causes serious harm to the body and is even causatively related to such killer diseases as cancer and heart disease. In order to obtain 45 grams of protein a day from your diet you do not have to eat meat; you can get it from a 100 percent vegetarian diet of a variety of grains, lentils, nuts, vegetables, and fruits. Vegetables are around 23% protein on average, beans 28%, grains 13%, and even fruit has 5.5%.
Excess protein has been linked with osteoporosis,kidney disease, calcium stones in the urinary tract, and some cancers.

Also, it has been shown that too much protein intake reduces the body's energy. In a series of comparative endurance tests conducted by Dr. Irving Fisher of Yale University, vegetarians performed twice as well as meat-eaters!!
still with me?
Milk: This one doesn't take much thought. Milk was intended for calves' nutrition not human nourishment.

T. Colin Campbell, PhD., a professor at Cornell University, studied a milk protein for three years. He found that rats developed liver cancer when fed casein, the main protein in milk. Dr. Campbell states that "cancer growth can be turned on or off by increasing or decreasing the amount of casein".

All essential organic nutrients required in the human diet (essential amino acids, essential fatty acids, and vitamins) are made by plants and micro-organisms, not by animals. Animal foods contain those items too, but since most animals have roughly the same nutrient requirements as humans, we get the nutrients second-hand. The only unique ingredients in animal foods are really cholesterol and satuated fat.

http://www.ayurveda-herbs.com/

http://www.vegsource.com/

Though some will argue, I'm telling you from experience and wisdom that a vegan diet is very close to OPTIMAL. I say very close because I"ve read good things about keeping a RAW diet.
The reseach is there and it is backed up.

I welcome anyone to prove to me otherwise.

Oh yeah, and vegans taste good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Spirituality and Diet [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3397144 - 11/23/04 05:23 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

A little off-topic, but I can't resist:

So, LunarEclipse, whose puppet are you that you're trying so hard to rack up numbers by such obvious post whoring?? :thumbdown:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch...mp;Searchpage=0

Puppets SUCK! If you can't stand by your convictions enough to use your own screen name, then DON'T HAVE THOSE CONVICTIONS!

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlineshanti
dude
 User Gallery

Re: Spirituality and Diet [Re: Diploid]
    #3406609 - 11/24/04 11:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Anyone have some thoughts?

I think this is a great topic.

InvisiblePariah
Stranger
Re: Spirituality and Diet [Re: shanti]
    #3406711 - 11/25/04 12:02 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

shanti, nice post. I've been vegan for nearly two years, and vegetarian for 5 years before that. My reasons for doing so are those that you pointed out in your post, as well as my personal beliefs in not killing living creatures, human or animal, for any reason. Which may be extreme for some, I've been told, but it's all up to the individual...it's right for me. I've been interested in eventually having a raw diet. A good portion of what I consume now is raw.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Spirituality and Diet [Re: Diploid]
    #3407555 - 11/25/04 09:03 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"Obvious post whoring"

Well, actually, I had rather lengthy and perhaps informative? posts but decided that many were just that too lengthy and some too off topic and some too negative so rather than picking and choosing I erased them all one day.  :shocked:  Sorry.  Anyway read my follow up to your creation/evolution post of yesterday for today's news. 

As to diet, eat your fresh veggies and rice and beans, drink plenty of water, and get some Celtic sea salt.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (11/25/04 09:29 AM)

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
    #3407568 - 11/25/04 09:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Just 81 posts in almost 5 years of membership? You gotta come around here more often, you really know your health and nutrition :smile:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Offlineshanti
dude
 User Gallery

Re: Spirituality and Diet [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #3421577 - 11/28/04 11:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks man, it's nice to know your liked around here.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3423028 - 11/29/04 12:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

"able worldwide research has shown that we only need 35 to 45 grams of protein. Protein consumed in excess of the actual daily need is not only wasted"

well, all i know is, if i dont eat LOTS of protein (way more than 35-45 grams a day) i get skinny. if i eat lots more, i get more muscular... this leads me to believe the excess protein is not wasted at all but converted to valuable muscle mass...

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Spirituality and Diet [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3423189 - 11/29/04 01:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ive read that 25 grams of protein is sufficient per day.

Basic nutrition tells us we need carbs, fat, protein, and water.

From our food sources, we should get all the vitamins and minerals we need.

Personally, I believe like swami said, diet is relative.

Know your body, Know your basic nutritional concepts, and needs.....and make your own decisions.

Im personally leaning towards a 50% raw diet, vegetarian.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity
    #3423213 - 11/29/04 01:56 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

muscle mass in excess is not really that 'valuable' :smile:

--------------------

Offlineshanti
dude
 User Gallery

#3428883 - 11/30/04 04:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Eating protein does not build muscle mass; to build muscle mass you need to consistently lift weights. By eating more than your "relative" requirments your forcing your kidneys to produce more urea which puts stress on your kidneys. Unless your a bodybuilder your protein intake shouldn't be more than 35-45 grams. Total calories are most important for body mass or in your case not getting skinny. But hey, it's better for your health to be a little underweight than a little overweight.

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
    #3429131 - 11/30/04 05:44 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

shanti said:
Thanks man, it's nice to know your liked around here.

Me liked? lol! not likely but you sir are positively Loved!  :sun: :heart: :sun: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Shine on in your radiance and please, DO stop by on your itererant/mendicant internet travels more often, you realy do ruhl(sorry, more OTD Jargoon :grin:)

Much Love
Freak

But yeah, even one such as myself with my limited reading comprehension skills knew you meant it was YOU that were and ARE liked as opposed to myself :wink:
I was just playin' bro, just playin' :grin:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Offlineshanti
dude
 User Gallery

Re: Spirituality and Diet [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #3438006 - 12/02/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Anyone else getting into Ayurvedic philosophy or know anything about it?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder