Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Question about Hallucinations from a Neurology/Psychiatry MedSchool test. [Re: CosmicJoke] * 1
    #12220737 -

CosmicJoke said:
keeping things in the context of neurology, a disorder of consciousness would be something along the lines of a seizure, coma, vegetative state.  when you're conscious (awake) and perceiving something in the absence of external stimuli (let's say hearing voices in your head), you'd be hallucinating.



how is that keeping in context of neurology?
consciousness encompasses all the neurological events together.
the disorders would be in subsystems.
or are you explaining why the multiple choice above would shake down to exclude consciousness.
here you are indicating that consciousness is defined by it's absence (not unconscious)- and that is a pretty lame measure of medical professionalism.

Anyway seizures can be injury induced feedback, or chemical induced feedback (both of which are neurological) but they can also be habituated or intentional feedback symptoms as in glossolalia (i.e. psychological but looks like neurological).

coma would be injury or chemical induced unconsciousness - quite neurological,
vegetative would be paralysis or complete dysfunction of the cortex - can someone sign off on this corpse?

Anyway, the full range of things called hallucination does not require absence of external cues, while delirium ( at the extreme end of hallucination will deliver exactly that recipe. delirium is the most severe form of hallucination, or at least a more intense layering of mind moments than mere hallucination; and any increase in degree of layering of consciousness onto itself beyond delirium will be amnesia to be followed by complete unconsciousness (dysfunction) following escalation of dosage or causative agent which can even be emotion.

voices in head can be hallucination such as when you may look around for the missing source of the voice, but such voices can also attend delirium in which case you will probably be conversationally engaged actively with imagined visitors.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about Hallucinations from a Neurology/Psychiatry MedSchool test. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #12220740 -

delirium meshes with dreams meshes with schizophrenia meshes with the poetic Muse IMHO


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about Hallucinations from a Neurology/Psychiatry MedSchool test. [Re: deCypher] * 1
    #12220817 -

you are right about the meshings
but it is a smooth ramp of resulting effects from increasingly slower fading of cortical signals
it starts with laughing and enriched senses and continues
through visual and auditory trails and mild visuals from combinatorial chimeric blending of overlaid images.
to more intense visuals and some auditory hallucination
through to all out delirium, possession,
multiple personalities, seeing and believing in entities...
and then to amnesia ending in unconsciousness.
like pushing down the gas pedal
these are all really the result of one phenomenon to a greater and greater extent.
the phenomenon being fadeout extension of signals in the cortex.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about Hallucinations from a Neurology/Psychiatry MedSchool test. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #12220832 -

yes


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about Hallucinations from a Neurology/Psychiatry MedSchool test. [Re: redgreenvines] * 1
    #12222357 -

Quote:
how is that keeping in context of neurology? 



well, i imagine one w/ the said disorders of consciousness would be referred to a neurologist, whereas one with the disorders of perception one would be referred to a psychiatrist.  since these are potential areas of specialization for the OP, it would probably be a good idea if he could distinguish between the two.

Quote:
Anyway, the full range of things called hallucination does not require absence of external cues




i can see how you interpreted what i had written this way, is not what i meant to imply. i guess you can't be too careful on these forums.  good subsequent distinctions though.


--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about Hallucinations from a Neurology/Psychiatry MedSchool test. [Re: WStallion]
    #12222923 -

WStallion said:
Radar said:
You are a "3rd year Med student" but you don't have access to a dictionary??? You could always just use one of the online ones. But that was a no brainer for a test question.

BTW if I brought one of my kids into to the emergency room b/c he was hallucinating and you told me he might have a problem "with his consciousness" I would call security followed by everyone up the mgmt chain.



Thank you! I should have thought of getting a dictionary earlier!

I don't think concepts like 'consciousness' can be defined in a dictionary. I'm not sure why you should react in this kind of manner, as I've stated in my first post it's something I've got trouble with grasping and ask people for help. I'm sorry if asking a question got you offended.
I don't think the question I've asked can be answer one-sided. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm asking people to tell me what their views are so I can understand something I'm interested in better. I'm not sure why you'd have to be such a dick about it....

For the rest thanks for the replies, had the test today; it went well and there were no questions about hallucinations at all.. so woo-yay I guess.




This has nothing to do with your philosophical views ...this is a question on a med school exam. Why would your "views" even come into consideration.  We must be losing something in the translation here. Maybe Med school where you are is different. But in the US you are training to be a doctor and by 3rd year you are pretty close.  You shouldn't be discussing your "views" on what hallucinations are if you are within a year or so of treating real patients with real health issues.  You are being tested on facts (granted popularly accepted) , scientific definitions and established protocols right?

Maybe you mean pre med?  Or like a survey course?  Because Jeez man...all you had to do was look up the definition of "hallucination" and its right there. That question seems so basic that I am shocked it was even asked in a 3rd year neurology course.

Now a course in comparitive religions  - maybe.


--------------------
We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us — the labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Question about Hallucinations from a Neurology/Psychiatry MedSchool test. [Re: Radar]
    #12223125 -

I know on an exam my views don't come into consideration, I'll just have to give whatever answer they want me to give. That doesn't mean I can't think for myself when I get posed questions like this. I guess the question itself doesn't even matter and it has to do more about whatever you think perception and consciousness is. I'm not asking you what the correct answer should be, I have the answer form and yes, I do own a dictionary.

I want you to discuss why you think it should be one or another because I think a case could be made for both answers even if you have to take a philosophical approach. What's wrong with raising philosophical questions even though you're training to become a doctor? Actually this has nothing to do with me becoming a doctor apart from it being a question from an exam which tested psychology (and other things).

In Holland medschool is six years, 4 years in which you follow lectures and get taught physical examination and do lab stuff etc. and 2 years of internships. After that you're an MD. I'm not sure what you think a medical education is like but like half is about learning definitions. Symptoms of diseases, syndromes, anatomy w/e. If you're good at remembering endless amounts of facts medical education is a piece of cake. In courses like biochemistry you sometimes need a higher understanding of things but most of the education is just cramming facts.


--------------------
"Whenever I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story"
-Barney Stinson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Psychiatry
( 1 2 3 all )
MolokoMilkPlus 2,901 40 06/29/05 10:21 PM
by Huehuecoyotl
* Psychiatry is like Voodoo
( 1 2 all )
Unagipie 1,968 37 08/25/05 09:37 AM
by Shampioenier
* Auditory hallucinations
( 1 2 all )
johnnyfive 6,400 26 04/22/08 06:20 PM
by kssngtheshdws
* Leary's Eight Neurological Circuits (+ Robert Anton Wilson) Tonearm 1,730 15 12/23/03 12:17 PM
by Tonearm
* Inducing Hallucinations Anonymous 1,490 1 03/27/02 12:10 PM
by Food
* Testing your Paranormal Hypothesis
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Swami 8,691 91 06/04/03 10:43 PM
by spiritshaper
* Meditation question
( 1 2 3 all )
superpimp 6,860 57 12/23/11 09:00 AM
by Icelander
* Shroomism i need a question answered
( 1 2 3 all )
johnnyfive 5,685 47 10/06/02 09:07 PM
by johnnyfive

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,933 topic views. 0 members, 4 guests and 10 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 17 queries.