Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinechemkid
Be excellent toeach other

Loc: Between a rock and a hard...
Where does the soul reside?
    #914005 - 09/28/02 12:43 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

With all the technology of today they are becoming very efficient at mapping brain waves and thought patterns. Lie detectors are set to be fool-proof very shortly. T.V. remote controls can be controlled with just a thought now.

Suppose: It is now possible to hardwire the brain to the spine and other CNS components to transmit all the necessary information, chemical signals, and bodily commands if there was some sort of brain damage. (This doesn't seem too far fetched to me)

Now suppose: It is possible to substitute these hardwires for some sort of sensors. Much like an IR sensor in your TV remote. So now you still have a fully functioning brain with all it's capabilities but, due to brain damage the signals are being transmitted through a little bit of technological help.

Now suppose: It has been shown over and over that a heart, brain, pretty much any organ can be kept alive out of the body if put in the right conditions and environment. So if I were to take this brain out of the body and keep it alive but keep the remote sensors on it intact.........where does the soul now reside?

--------------------
An open mind is the greatest journey of all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: Where does the soul reside? [Re: chemkid]
    #914060 - 09/28/02 01:14 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

esoterically speaking the body is wrapped in the soul... the soul beeing bigger than our physical body... and i think the soul would merely leave the body when you remove the brain and put it away, for it would see no sense living in a separated unit

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #914072 - 09/28/02 01:17 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

where does the soul now reside?

The soul takes a vacation and puts the brain on auto-pilot...

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #914744 - 09/28/02 11:56 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

We have souls now?

Fuck, can I really sell it?....
I need the money to buy "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Enlightenment".

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #914769 - 09/28/02 12:07 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Suppose: It is now possible to hardwire the brain to the spine and other CNS components to transmit all the necessary information, chemical signals, and bodily commands if there was some sort of brain damage. (This doesn't seem too far fetched to me)

The idea isn't far fetched, but the actuallity of performing such operations are still just dreams of "brain scientists". Even before such experiments could be performed, the question becomes, should we even be doing this? Have you ever played the game Deus Ex? It's about future agents being augmented with nanotechnology. Examples of nano-augmented body parts include eyes, muscles, heart, and so on. In effect we would be creating super humans.

Anonymous

#914848 - 09/28/02 12:47 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Motown, in the muscial expression brought to the world through the efforts of Barry Gordy.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Where does the soul reside? [Re: In(di)go]
    #914855 - 09/28/02 12:50 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

the soul beeing bigger than our physical body

What about Marlon Brando?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
Re: Where does the soul reside? [Re: chodamunky]
    #914922 - 09/28/02 01:35 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

The idea isn't far fetched, but the actuallity of performing such operations are still just dreams of "brain scientists". Even before such experiments could be performed, the question becomes, should we even be doing this?

it's not just a dream. they've already implanted transmitter thingies(excuse the layman's terminlogy) into a 40-year-paraplegic so that he could move his arms and feed himself. should we be doing it? if it improves the quality of life for people, of course.

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #915557 - 09/28/02 06:40 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

...and don't forget that popular medieval inquiry, "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin?," which the Grateful Dead worked into the lyrics of 'Weather Report Suite' ("...as well to count the angels...dancing on a pin..."). Even Thomas Aquinas had a holographic, holistic approach to that question - the soul in its entirety resides in every point of the body - and one might add, however 'far' the reach of soul (psyche) might be. You see, once again, psyche is not a substance. It is non-extended in space-time. It is a non-spatial reality [I don't know how many ways to put this, or how often to repeat it for those who can't grasp it].

Psyche may not be boundless, as 'spirit' (pneuma) is often described as being; but psyche (soul) seems to be able to 'know' distant events (clairvoyance), other people's thoughts (telepathy) and even future events (precognition). I have experience the latter two 'Psi' functions on several memorable occasions. Consciousness receiving psychophysical reality directly, without the intermediary sense organs.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (09/28/02 06:41 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Where does the soul reside? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #915657 - 09/28/02 07:47 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I am just trying to be helpful here.

Perhaps you might include a glossary for the gnostically challenged.  Even though I can follow along I get the feeling that much of your truth is undecipherable by most of the members here.

Just trying to help! :smile:

Cheers, 

Offlinechemkid

#916294 - 09/29/02 02:55 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I feel that regardless of how humans slice and dice the human body that the soul (assuming you believe in one) doesn't have to choose a place to be. It is beyond time, space, and any type of human reality. It would simply "be". It can't be pinned down to a coordinate.

As most probably know, this question is not of my own making. So for people like Markthegnostic who ask "how many times must I repeat this..." this is simply for discussion. If I find something that I feel is thought provoking I will post it. Rarely will one of my questions reflect my personal view. My later responses will reveal my hand.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#916572 - 09/29/02 09:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I agree with the beyond space-time 'placement' of yours, but the way in which you worded it, seemed to mean that 'the soul' is some sort of 'substance,' or 'an object.' I read an article stating that a person who had just died, weighed less than the previously living moment. No mention of involuntary loss of feces, urine, or even exhaled air and water vapor (don't know how precise the technique was). The claim was that the 'soul' weighed about 2 ounces. Now, I apologize for sounding impatient, but I still encounter people who believe the the soul is some vaporous thing that either suffuses the whole body, or dwells in the heart, or head (but not the 'liver,' which is thus called because certain Greeks considered the soul to reside there).

I guess that I am attempting (howsoever awkwardly) to create a renaissance, a revival, of a way of regarding spiritual matters. Modern people still have a need for mystery, and mystery still exists. Consciousness is the Ultimate Mystery if one is not a materialist who believes that it is created by matter - by physical, biological, chemical processes. Materialists always have a material cause for phenomenon. So, pardon my mood. I tend to believe that our mind-body (soul) is itself the organ[s] of Consciousness, not the other way around.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Where does the soul reside? [Re: ]
    #916602 - 09/29/02 09:55 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks. Your concern for others is altruistic - no ifs, ands, or buts about that. Sometimes I become impatient, but usually take time to explain. I do this kind of thing on my job, say, bereavement counseling with middle school kids (just this Friday in fact) who ask me questions about the soul. I go very slowly and try to discover what the kid's religious upbringing has been. They usually tend toward occult-level, astral/ghost kinds of understanding, not mystical (howsoever simple, like going to God or Heaven). Here, I pull out the stops and sometimes take huge winged leaps into the Great Beyond. I tend to become impatient with materialists, but need to work on that for myself. I was once a materialist, and struggled hard and long to escape the grasp of this world-view.

I might be a frustrated author, who has never attempted a book (other than my doctoral dissertation that was published by Microfilms International, but rejected by Sam Weiser and Llewelyn Press because 'it was too scholarly for their audience,' which was bullshit. Weiser published Foundations of Tibetan Mysticism upon which my dissertation was based).

On the one hand, some people follow my post, even when I get too abstract - such as yourself; on the other hand, I lose people for a number of reasons. I don't attempt to impress or confuse, but this is a philosophy & spirituality forum, and I am an educated adult who happens to be tempermentally comfortable with these types of abstractions. So, I want to communicate clearly and simply, not condescendingly.

Lots of students, in classes and out, just do not ask questions for fear of being thought dumb. Their self-esteem issues interfere with their learning. We all have to be humble to learn anything.  You probably didn't think your comment was going to result in this much wordage. Coffee on an empty stomach.  :smile: 

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #916754 - 09/29/02 12:05 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I read an article stating that a person who had just died, weighed less than the previously living moment.

This could easily be validated. I don't suppose you have a link to this 30 y.o. urban legend? If that was the case, it would certainly give great credence that "Elvis has indeed left the building."

Using some vague recollection of some highly dubious story to bolster your position is not worthy of you Markos.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (09/29/02 04:59 PM)

Anonymous

#916796 - 09/29/02 12:38 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I enjoy your comments whatever the impetus was.  :smile:

But then again I revel in psychosexual drama. :wink:

Cheers, 

Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

Loc: ghetto# 03479
Re: Where does the soul reside? [Re: ]
    #917029 - 09/29/02 03:12 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I think mark's point is this: the question is unscientific/illogical/nonsensical much as weighing newly deceased bodies to determine the weight of the soul is. the original question was : where does the soul reside. then he changes his mind and says the soul can't be pinned down to a time/space coordinate. the whole dialogue is actually gibberish. i personally lean toward the materialist view point that consciousness is a manifestation of physical processes. it seems relevant to point out that physical does not imply atomistic. for those of you who disagree i ask: where then does the soul reside if it is not merely the gestalt of various physical processes?

--------------------
All refrences to and statements concerning mushrooms, mushroom cultivation, and mushroom related paraphrenalia refer specifically to the cultivation of legal species.

OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
Re: Where does the soul reside? [Re: vaporbrains]
    #917395 - 09/29/02 05:45 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

isnt it interresting how physical technology attempts to mirror the soul's state of being. watch how humanity tries to do their way into a state of being with technology and thusly watch how are technology destroys our society because of our spiritual ignorance.

To accel/succeed as transcended society there must be a balance.

end of transmission*

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

Anonymous

#917655 - 09/29/02 07:27 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Lean as you will. The soul may reside outside the space/time continuum. Some philosophers think that and so do I.

If the said consciousness is only a manifestaion of physical processes why do we suspect otherwise?

Please explain the relevance that physical does not imply atomistic. Use small words. They denote understanding.

Thank you.

Offlinechemkid

#917666 - 09/29/02 07:31 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Vaporbrains, you should really go back and re-read all the threads. Never once did I state that the original post was my point of view. In fact I made this explicitly clear in one of the previous threads.

You say this question is unscientific.....surely you gest. Go read up on some of the current literature and find where the research is leading. Neurotransmitters, biochemical components, brain waves and patterns are all being successfully manipulated as we speak. It probably sounds like gibberish to you because you have neither the capacity nor the inclination to learn more about the subject.

May temperance and common sense find you. Peace friend.

--------------------

Anonymous

#917674 - 09/29/02 07:35 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Think

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder