Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence?
    #8133680 -

I know, I know.  This is not the M&P forum.  However, this is exactly why I am starting this poll, to see how P+S honestly feels about an ET presence that many believe exists.

I feel as though the whole UFO scene in all it's glory touches on every aspect of life on Earth.  There are implications that transcend absolutely everything we have come to know and understand, how we perceive ourselves and all life, how we percieve time and space, and most imporantly (for this forum) ideas about philosophy & spirituality.  Don't believe me?  Cool, I understand. That only means that you have not really spent time considering it with all the little gears in place.  Refuse to believe it?  Then that just tells me that you fail to use critical thinking to take your little thing called "the mind" and place it anywhere apart from what you would call "me" . In some ways, the "ET presence" - it's ideas and implications - solidifies many of the :confused: surrounding our experience. 

I am not making an attempt here to declare the ET presence as truth.  I am merely trying to equate what is believed by some to be truth with what all you come on these forums for.  Understanding.
Do you believe there is an ET presence?
You may choose only one
If there was indeed an ET presence, would it effect your views on P+S?
You may choose only one


Votes accepted from 03/11/08 08:02 PM until the end of time

View the results of this poll | Filter by response



--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8134201 -

:yawn:

The whole ET scene only speaks to human's proclivity towards self-deception and nothing else. It touches nothing at all outside of imagination.

Most people outgrow this phase when they reach adulthood.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8134241 -

Quote:
Don't believe me? Cool, I understand. That only means that you have not really spent time considering it with all the little gears in place. Refuse to believe it? Then that just tells me that you fail to use critical thinking to take your little thing called "the mind" and place it anywhere apart from what you would call "me" .



:lol:  I just love it when people tell me what it means when I don't believe their ideas.  These ridiculous statements DO NOT lend credence to your assertions.

I voted "possible, but not likely due to lack of evidence."  It also does not help that those who believe in aliens often exhibit signs of mental illness.  I mean, it's possible that aliens only visit those with pre-existing emotional problems, or that anal probing causes mental breakdowns, but you'd think that a FEW sane folks would believe if there was a factual basis for these claims.  :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Veritas]
    #8134359 -

Quote:
I just love it when people tell me what it means when I don't believe their ideas. These ridiculous statements DO NOT lend credence to your assertions.




This form of unsubstantiated projection is symptomatic of deeper issues and plays a big part in the UFO culture.

"Only a close-minded person would believe those flashing green and red lights in the sky are FAA safety lights and not a plasma condensor charging up."


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Veritas]
    #8134421 -

This seems a funny question
"If there was indeed an ET presence, would it effect your views on P+S?" I assume you mean "if we were to know of a ET presence, would it affect your views on P+S?"

In that case if i was to know of an alien presence, it certainly may change alot of what i believe in for sure. I'm not sure exactly what though...


--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: flangenips]
    #8135208 -

For the critical thinking data analysis critical thinking heads... look at the numbers will ya?

What OC said aboud adulthood... haha! Friend... please tell me you are not serious!  I have met plenty of people who are older than you who are pointing towards the ET presence.

I may be younger than you. I am in all honesty at the age of 21.  I spent many years confused and in the wrong places at the wrong times.  Now I am at a time in my life when the only people who have any sort of appreciation for my thoughts are older than me.  Come on now!  Such an intelligent person like yourself... so wrapped up in an ego-centric mindstate to equate evolution, technology, and the infinite willingness to advance in all aspects of understanding and capability with self-deception?  Eisntein deceived himself enough to the point of a "different" reality, that he was able to prove special relativity with experiments with light... and then everybody saw what he did.  And what about what Planck did with the quantum world?  That completely OWNED Einstein.  So what have you now? 

This is an evolving machine based on a formless universe only defined by observation.  Edgar Mitchell told the world that there was indeed an ET presence. He is one of the few astronauts that have been outside of Earths atmosphere attesting to an ET presence.  There are others. :headbang:

I would LOVE to know how old you are, OC. You are so competent in your analytical thinking.  How many years did it take you to achieve this unlimited and rigid understanding of our universe?  What degree do you have to show for this?  Better yet, did you actually believe in an ET presence in your younger years?  Is this what your statement about outgrowing self-delusions is about? (Don't mean to challenge you, OC, but a powerful mind life yours!!!  I want proof that YOU are it!!  I want to BE you!)

Because of my experience, I have a strong belief that the older one is, the more years one spends inadvertantly conditioning oneself becoming something that they are really are not.


--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Edited by Ginseng1 (03/12/08 01:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: flangenips]
    #8135211 -

flangenips said:
This seems a funny question
"If there was indeed an ET presence, would it effect your views on P+S?" I assume you mean "if we were to know of a ET presence, would it affect your views on P+S?"




Well, if there was indeed an ET presence, it would stand up against scrutiny of any sort for every human perception.

I know of an ET presence. That has nothing to do with your perception. Yes?


--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8135250 -

Quote:
Edgar Mitchell told the world that there was indeed an ET presence.



Do you understand the fallacy of 'appeal to authority'? If not read up on it.

Do you understand that a story is not evidence?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Veritas]
    #8135253 -

Veritas said:
:lol:  I just love it when people tell me what it means when I don't believe their ideas.  These ridiculous statements DO NOT lend credence to your assertions.




I feel you.

What I was trying to get at is whether you could imagine the ET presence to be true.

If you can imagine an ET presence without infiltrating the thought with opinions based solely on human experience, then you have no choice that to completely restructure your belief system. (Using your imagination and evidence ofcourse).

I am not telling you to do so.  But if you tell me that this is not what one should be doing, and that I am insane and there is no chance for you to view this from a broader perspective, then I say fuck you!

I like you though, so I say thank you!


--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8135261 -

So I'm supposed to believe that the Iraq war is substantiated by ideologies based on "democracy"?

Don't you see that everthing we have come to know and understand is based on an appeal to authority?

What is my authority? A story, or my experience and the universe in all it's awesome power?


--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Veritas]
    #8135270 -

Yes, its possible that aliens mostly visit those with emotional/mental "illness". And its also possible that those with mental illness are actually beings who are more in touch with who they really are and are in a struggle with people like you who tell them they should be "Normal".
You are one of the people who would have been standing on the shores scoffing at Columbus as he sailed away to discover the THE WORLD ISN"T FUCKING FLAT!!!!
Theres much more out there to be discovered than could ever be relayed here -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8135272 -

Quote:
I spent many years confused...



It appears to have continued to this day.

What do Einstein and Planck have to do with alien visitation? Not a damned thing. Can you to stay on one thought without meandering? Your ramble is impossible to follow.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8135296 -

Ginseng1 said:
flangenips said:
This seems a funny question
"If there was indeed an ET presence, would it effect your views on P+S?" I assume you mean "if we were to know of a ET presence, would it affect your views on P+S?"




Well, if there was indeed an ET presence, it would stand up against scrutiny of any sort for every human perception.

I know of an ET presence.  That has nothing to do with your perception.  Yes?



I'm confused :confused: at what you're saying here, please elaborate.

i say this with adherrance to everything in the past being the same, no imaginary philsophical worlds where if aliens exist/don't exist history is different:

Anywho, i'll try to answer in parts.
I certainly believe if aliens influenced my actions, and even perception, that my ideas of P&S may be a lot different to if there was no influence. But then again there may not. Autonomy is an interesting thing.

If were are not talking about any influence, like i said, if there was significant evidence (for me to believe) that aliens we're present then my viewpoints may change on a few subjects on P&S. If there is not enough evidence for me, like the current situation, then my view stay like they currently are, that seems obvious really...

but definately elaborate, i'm still a little confused what you mean.


--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8135298 -

The fallacy is more accurately called "appeal to faulty authority."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8135303 -

You have a very effective way of dodging, OC.  As much as I disagree with many of your ideologies, you are the one person I respect most.  Only because I know that you know what you are doing. 

But I can tell that at certain level of this issue you only draw up blanks.

What do Einstein and Planck have to do with aliens?  Nothing.  They have to do more with you than with aliens. :sun:


--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: flangenips]
    #8135328 -

flangenips said:
I'm confused :confused: at what you're saying here, please elaborate.




Hey, you understood the question exactly as I had presented it.

Either "we" know it or we don't.  How do we know things to be real?  Only if they are true.  Based on what?  Evidence.  Not enough evidence?  Use your imagination.  Prove to me that blackholes exist.

You understood the question correctly, according to how you corrected to wording.  There is no confusion.


--------------------
Flowing through beginningless time since time without beginning...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8135347 -

So you do NOT understand the fallacy of appeal to authority even though the information is stickied at the top of P&S and a basic understanding is germaine to philosophic discussion. OK. Thanks for playing.

Why are you reluctant to study and read it? Who is the close-minded one?

Quote:
What do Einstein and Planck have to do with aliens? Nothing. They have to do more with you than with aliens.



This thread is not about me and such discussiion are highly discouraged as philosophic topics. Do you understand? Check out the rules one more time.

Try to get the very basics down if you really want to have a discussion and attract mature responses. If not, go back to the kiddy pool.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8135348 -

Well, I haven't bothered to read up on the possibility of aliens on Earth (because of the apparent complete lack of hard evidence and the astronomical improbability of it), but after a quick glance through M & P I see that 'the best evidence' for extra-terrestrial existence is the 'DMT elves'... which doesn't compel me to read much further into it for now. If a 'presence' was proven somehow beyond all doubt, sure it would change my views on the world -including P & S- drastically. If there were other intelligent life forms aware of our existence and even in our midst, that could possibly account for numerous unsolved mysteries of life. Though, I am highly skeptical of proof ever arising, and too much of a 'logic-driven' person to take the current UFO theories in any sort of serious context.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8135349 -

Quote:
But if you tell me that this is not what one should be doing, and that I am insane and there is no chance for you to view this from a broader perspective, then I say fuck you!




You are walking on very thin ice my friend and are flirting with a ban. Try an apology and a rewording ASAP.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do You Believe in an Extra-Terrestrial Presence? [Re: Ginseng1]
    #8135355 -

Ginseng1 said:
flangenips said:
I'm confused :confused: at what you're saying here, please elaborate.




Hey, you understood the question exactly as I had presented it.

Either "we" know it or we don't.  How do we know things to be real?  Only if they are true.  Based on what?  Evidence.  Not enough evidence?  Use your imagination.  Prove to me that blackholes exist.

You understood the question correctly, according to how you corrected to wording.  There is no confusion.



Well things like prove to me blackholes exist I lump into a similar part as what we have been talking about as well as something like some certain things like neutrinos that have been used solely to balance equations without any real proof of their presence in a reaction.
Sure, knowledge is something quite subjective, and you're onto something there, imagination has played an incredible part in scientific theory (both in verification, disputes , falsification, and the massive extent of stuff still considered just as theory)


--------------------
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* UFO-spotters tell tales of the extra-terrestrial
( 1 2 all )
LearyfanS 3,939 30 10/08/05 01:44 AM
by MikeOLogical
* When a skeptic becomes an evidence and logic dodger!
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Ego Death 10,515 112 02/07/05 05:51 PM
by Ego Death
* Extra-Terrestrials
( 1 2 all )
Ego Death 2,214 26 12/29/03 06:01 PM
by fireworks_god
* Extra dimensional instead of extra treestrial?
( 1 2 all )
Jenny 3,885 31 12/03/02 09:43 PM
by Strumpling
* spiritual beings, otherworldly presences.. and your encounters with them
( 1 2 all )
ShroomismM 4,555 38 10/02/05 02:55 AM
by Silversoul
* Shroomism i need a question answered
( 1 2 3 all )
johnnyfive 5,689 47 10/06/02 09:07 PM
by johnnyfive
* Global Ascension?
( 1 2 3 all )
ShroomismM 2,518 49 04/08/03 11:22 PM
by ViBrAnT
* Extra-terrestrial humans
( 1 2 all )
OrgoneConclusion 3,742 20 10/08/12 04:30 PM
by MorphinTime

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
6,297 topic views. 1 members, 48 guests and 20 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.061 seconds spending 0.037 seconds on 23 queries.