Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
"sad reality"
    #4311977 - 06/18/05 10:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Often, when playing to role of sceptic, I've heard people say: what a sad and depressive view on life that is

What they are refering to is a view suported by modern science, that we are organic lifeforms with not soul (exept in abstract sense of the word), no god, and nothing exept our own chemicals and organs, and no other dimensions where we can go now or after death.

so..

1. realities are not sad, you can be sad with some reality or adjust your self and enjoy it

2. What if that IS true? Does that mean universe is a depressing place? Why would evolution ever make creatures that feel depressed by the knowledge of the whole system?

3. If we assume that this kind of view on life is correct, does that mean that spirituality as we see it all over this place is an escape due to inability to deal with reality for whatever reason (probably being rased with these ideas of immaterial life)?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: "sad reality" [Re: OldWoodSpecter] * 1
    #4312081 - 06/18/05 11:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I think one major reason behind the projected connotation of "negativity" onto the thesis that we are highly complex organic beings, is related to the implications behind the word "soul". The soul is usually a word that strikes a picture of a controlling entity localized somewhere in the body, likely behind the eyes and in between the ears, which is usually a concept that is most colorfully painted with the hue of eternity.

And naturally, the self-regarding ego deeply fears it's own death, hence will gladly adopt any comforting concept of an 'after-life' [read: eternity] where the ego continues to survive someway or another. Thereafter, the ego can "freely" pretend that it does not fear death, when in fact, at a deeper level... the reverse is true.

So when an ego encounters the perspective such as the one above that we are all highly evolved, complex bio-organic beings experiencing and living all here-now, they may feel threatened by the deeper suggestion that there is no real, substantial and genuine "identity" to survive after death.
Thus, the opinion that such a reality is "sad."

In other words, it implies a lack of some sort of "divinity" and that scares the crap out of people.

In actuality, it's all misdirection... it isn't the fact itself that creates fear, it's the concepts that create fear, be it of the future, past or otherwise.

On a personal note, I feel that if it were somehow proven that we are all, ultimately machinistic beings living and interacting with other beings akin to the inner-workings of a great grandfather clock, amounting to the great Tick-Tock rhythym of the Universe, it would be even more wondrous... and downright surreal.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: "sad reality" [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4313196 - 06/19/05 08:09 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Again, speaking from a sceptic point of view..

Why not learn how to be happy with morality just like you would be happy with immortality instead of making up a more acceptable truth?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: "sad reality" [Re: OldWoodSpecter] * 1
    #4314449 - 06/19/05 07:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Everybody's truth is different and nobody is correct. Not even the skeptic knows the deal.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: "sad reality" [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4314453 - 06/19/05 07:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

surreal?

gross.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: "sad reality" [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4314763 - 06/19/05 08:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yea if you are writing poems, but there can be only one reason why the sun burns. If someone thinks the sun is actually a painted picture on a giant canvas, and others think it is a star (burning gas), those two truths can not coexist

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: "sad reality" [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4314875 - 06/19/05 09:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It is both. One must have poetic sense as well as a scientific sense. I make my living as a computer tech...science is all important to me...but so is aesthetics.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4314880 - 06/19/05 09:21 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

both? So, there is a giant canvas, made out of cloth just like humans use (handmade too), and there is a chemical paint used for painting the sun? And at the same time the sun is a ball of burning gas?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: "sad reality" [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4314891 - 06/19/05 09:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Canvas of emotion. The paint is emotion as well. The sun is a burning ball of gas and a source of emotional response from me...even if the Sun don't care that I have feelings about it I still do

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4315030 - 06/19/05 10:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Come one, now you are being poethical again. I ment literally, material sense of the word canvas. Of course such abstract truths are relative. But can you honestly say that it is possible that sun is phisically painted on material (literally, not abstract) canvas, and be burning gas at the same time?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology