Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineWoland
The MercilessWarrior
 User Gallery

Loc: FL
Cops and the Law!!
    #3840665 - 02/27/05 09:59 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

if a you ask someone if they are a cop do they have to tell you? I don't know if this is just rumor or not

--------------------
"It's bad enough that you sell your waking life for minimum wage, but now they get your dreams for free."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: Woland]
    #3840669 - 02/27/05 10:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

no

OfflineWoland
The MercilessWarrior
 User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: newuser1492]
    #3840702 - 02/27/05 10:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

so.... they dont have to tell me?

--------------------
"It's bad enough that you sell your waking life for minimum wage, but now they get your dreams for free."

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3840714 - 02/27/05 10:15 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

nope

OfflineSamhainJ
I wanna rock out, in my dreams
Loc: USA
Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: newuser1492]
    #3840761 - 02/27/05 10:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i thought it was entrapment if they dont tell you. they always will say things like "do I look like a cop?" etc. but arent they not allowed to tell you "no, i am not a cop" ? i thought i heard about cases getting thrown out of court for things like this.

--------------------

Offlineclandestinevixen
Stranger

Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: SamhainJ]
    #3841211 - 02/27/05 12:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Entrapment is when an undercover, or informant working for them, tries to convince a person to commit a crime. Asking a drug dealer for a bag is not entrapment; but saying something to the effect of "man I know this great connect, you could make some good money, here's his number, call him, hook up, then I'll be your #1 customer."

Police officers are protected by this rule that basically says that they'd jeopardize their life if they admitted to being a NARC. The rule, law whatever, that you're thinking about is like, say you're at a store and a guy starts beating his wife and they yell "police!" than even an off duty cop would have to step in and say he's a cop.

--------------------
When you swim with the sharks, you may avoid being devoured; but sooner or later, you're going to drown.

Offlineclandestinevixen
Stranger

Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: SamhainJ]
    #3841256 - 02/27/05 12:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SamhainJ said:
i thought it was entrapment if they dont tell you. they always will say things like "do I look like a cop?" etc. but arent they not allowed to tell you "no, i am not a cop" ? i thought i heard about cases getting thrown out of court for things like this.

See, it's propaganda like this that gets these poor kids busted.

--------------------
When you swim with the sharks, you may avoid being devoured; but sooner or later, you're going to drown.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: clandestinevixen]
    #3842294 - 02/27/05 04:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I believe entrapment is not an undercover convincing someone to commit a crime, but pressuring them to do an illegal action that they would not have done normally, which means if a cop asks you, "Hey, want to buy a gram of good nug?" and you say no, and he follows you and harrasses you until you finally buy it to make him go away, you could get off under entrapment. If he asks if you want nug and you just say sure, though, chances are you will not have that defense.

Cops do not have to tell you anything, just because their actions or answers say they are not a cop, it in no way means they are not an undercover. Don't trust people that you don't know, as there really is no way to tell if they're a cop or not.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

In jurisprudence, entrapment is a procedural defense by which a defendant may argue that they should not be held criminally liable for actions which broke the law, because they were induced (or entrapped) by the police to commit said acts. For the defense to be successful, the defendant must demonstrate that the police induced an otherwise unwilling person to commit a crime. However, when a person is predisposed to commit a crime, offering opportunities to commit the crime is not entrapment, such as in the widely held misconception that policemen must answer prostitutes' questions truthfully.

Entrapment is an issue that must be considered in designing sting operations.

John De Lorean was arrested in 1982 for selling cocaine to undercover police; in court, De Lorean argued that the police had asked him to sell them the cocaine (and threatened him as a form of coercion). He was found not guilty. De Lorean's attorney stated in Time (March 19, 1984), "This [was] a fictitious crime. Without the Government, there would be no crime."

The defense of entrapment was unsuccessful in the Abscam operation in which several members of the United States Congress were convicted of accepting bribes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: Ravus]
    #3842513 - 02/27/05 05:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Entrapment is used very loosely in the courts. Most judge's definitions of entrapment are nothing short of the cop actually taking part in the crime. Most people would think female cops dressed up as hookers would be entrapment but its very much legal.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: Catalysis]
    #3842736 - 02/27/05 05:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"However, when a person is predisposed to commit a crime, offering opportunities to commit the crime is not entrapment, such as in the widely held misconception that policemen must answer prostitutes' questions truthfully."

Female cops dressing up as hookers would not fall under entrapment mainly because of that, I believe. Anyone who picked up the undercover was looking for a prostitute anyway, and so the police just allowed them an opportunity to commit a crime they were going to do anyway. The cops did not pressure you to pick up a hooker, usually you just picked her up under the assumption she was a real one.

It is a gray area to many though, so one should not rely on entrapment to get them out of a crime, simply because most people who would rely on entrapment would have known of the crime ahead of time anyway and so therefore would probably not be covered by it. Most of the misconceptions around entrapment seem to spring from people's lack of understanding of the legal definition of entrapment, though.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3845539 - 02/28/05 05:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

> entrapment is not an undercover convincing someone to commit a crime, but pressuring them to do an illegal action that they would not have done normally

My understanding is that the above is correct, and that the bolded part is very important.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: Seuss]
    #3848225 - 02/28/05 05:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The difference between drugs and prostitution is that sex itself is not illegal. So to have sex with a cop means nothing unless you offer to pay in which case it becomes prostitution. Whereas in a drug deal if you are offered drugs it's understood that the act of buying drugs itself is illegal.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Offlineclandestinevixen
Stranger

Re: Cops and the Law!! [Re: unbeliever]
    #3848346 - 02/28/05 06:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:
So to have sex with a cop means nothing unless you offer to pay in which case it becomes prostitution.

Isn't bestiality illegal in most states.

Okay okay, I'll behave, no more swine references.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds