Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Reincarnation...do you believe in it?
    #3822396 - 02/23/05 01:19 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Do you beleive in reincarnation?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (02/23/05 01:18 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Reincarnation...do you believe in it? [Re: niteowl]
    #3822551 - 02/23/05 01:51 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

"i never believed in reincarnation in any of my previous lives, so why should i start in this one?"

:wink:

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3822579 - 02/23/05 01:58 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

It doesn't happen. The wages of ignorance is death of consciousness.

--------------------

Offlinebelowground
Re: Reincarnation...do you believe in it? [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3822619 - 02/23/05 02:08 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

i believe our consciousness never dies, but rather we are forced to float about freely and witness things, while retaining the essential mindset we held most of our lives.

this is why i try to stay laid back and mellow! i don't want to be an angry spirit after i die.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3822635 - 02/23/05 02:14 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I'm not sure on Reincarnation yet. I'm just sort of keeping my eyes and ears open at this point. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way.

Although I do like what Waking Life says that reincarnation is just a poetic expression of what happens with energy. (or whatever they said)

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Reincarnation...do you believe in it? [Re: MOTH]
    #3823350 - 02/23/05 04:42 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Well, im not going to really give my answer on this... but ask some questions. These have easy explanations, but no definite answer.

Where do inate abilities come from? How can a 6 year old play a pagannini solo perfectly?

Have you ever had knowledge of something which no one has ever told you? People with children will understand this one when they come out with facts you didnt even know.

and here is a good story, about a woman who never visited england, and lived mainly in the south. Had a strong southern accent by accoutns from her family. She hit her head one day, went unconscious for a while, and woke up with a thick british dialect.

OfflineCaptainJailew
Apathetic and Idon't care

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Reincarnation...do you believe in it? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3823514 - 02/23/05 05:18 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

What happens if the world were to go up in a mushroom cloud?

Do we wait in the netherworld until living conditions permit life to come back or are we back instantly as cockroaches?

--------------------
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Reincarnation...do you believe in it? [Re: CaptainJailew]
    #3823523 - 02/23/05 05:20 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

no, probably just move on to another planet... like the rest of the smart souls....lol

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #3823532 - 02/23/05 05:20 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I don't hold that belief.

>Where do inate abilities come from?
-Genetics.

>How can a 6 year old play a pagannini solo perfectly?
-Practise. While innate means "Possessed at birth," a 6 year old has had over 52 thousand hours of life experience. Remember we _learn_ to play music instruments... and a childs ability to learn compounded with a parents determination to see them succeed can go a long way.

>Have you ever had knowledge of something which no one has ever told you? People with children will understand this one when they come out with facts you didnt even know.
-There are many more ways to aquire knowledge than being told. And while I don't have any kids, I imagine that when I do I'll be able to, in general, form fairly accurate guesses by drawing on my own experiences as a child.

>A woman who never visited england, and lived mainly in the south. Had a strong southern accent by accoutns from her family. She hit her head one day, went unconscious for a while, and woke up with a thick british dialect.
-This story may be just that, a story. I have never heard of head trama resulting in such a thing. But I don't see how speaking differently after a head trauma would be evidence of reincarnation, especially given the age cues of this woman. Reincarnation means "Rebirth of the soul in another body" not "I hit my head and now I'm a different person" :wink:

OfflineCaptainJailew
Apathetic and Idon't care

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Reincarnation...do you believe in it? [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3823553 - 02/23/05 05:25 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3235934.stm

Quote:

Last year, they confirmed that patients can develop a foreign accent without ever having been exposed to the accent.

This is because they haven't really picked up the accent. Their speech patterns have changed. Injury to their brain causes them to lengthen syllables, alter their pitch or mispronounce sounds. These changes make it sound like they have picked up an accent. They may lengthen syllables.

The first case of foreign accent syndrome was reported in 1941 in Norway, after a young Norwegian woman suffered shrapnel injury to the brain during an air raid.

Initially, she had severe language problems from which she eventually recovered. However, she was left with what sounded like a strong German accent and was ostracized by her community.

There is a story about a woman who had a stroke (same story?) and then came back with a british accent. It is called "Foreign Accent Syndrome" and has happened before, it still puzzles scientists though.

--------------------
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Reincarnation...do you believe in it? [Re: CaptainJailew]
    #3823689 - 02/23/05 05:52 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

OK, if it was genetics then identical twins would have the same and equal innate ability. Or we could just clone a person who has this inate ability and see if they have that same inate ability...

now, maybe a 6 year old has 52,000 hours of life so far, but i doubt the first two years.... easily couldnt be counted as practice. I am also willing to bet that even if you had 52,000 hours of practice you couldnt play la campenella on the violin perfectly.

I have always had musical ability. however, i cant draw a stick figure correctly to save my life, while everyone else in my family is talented with drawing, on both sides. Saying inate ability is due to genetics is like saying there is a gay gene.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3823690 - 02/23/05 05:52 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I'm not sure how to answer that. I believe that we are all part of a network of consciousness which is conscious in itself. So it's not like there's an individual consciousness which has a linear continuity(the concept of linear time is itself rather simplistic), but rather, we are all incarnations of the same consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. I am you. You are me. We are all one. I am a 15th-century aristocrat, and a beggar in India who hasn't been born yet. Our subjective experience hides this fact. So, in a way, I guess I would say I believe in incarnation, without the "re-" prefix.

--------------------

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #3824033 - 02/23/05 07:01 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

>If it was genetics then identical twins would have the same and equal innate ability.
-That is very possibly true, but what kind of tests could we give to a newborn identical twins to confirm this? After birth, each child begins to develops a different perceptual set, so the more time spent before administering the test would include more and more extraneous variables.

>Or we could just clone a person who has this inate ability and see if they have that same inate ability...
-If the results confirmed this, then good for me. If the results did not confirm this, then it would mean that the presumed innate ability the experiment was set-up to identify... was not innate, and learned (still good for me)

>now, maybe a 6 year old has 52,000 hours of life so far, but i doubt the first two years.... easily couldnt be counted as practice.
-I calculated 52,000 hours of life experience. Obviously it's possible to learn a difficult song over this amount of time, and I'll draw on your example as my support.

Which one should Occam's razor cut?
A person who knew how to perfectly play la campenella on the violin died, was reincarnated into another body, managed to find a violin and recalled how to play that same song from the previous life
or
A child is given a violin and is encouraged to learn.
(and what an odd person that child would have been in past lives, being a mater violin player, but not being able to master deification or eating)

>Saying inate ability is due to genetics is like saying there is a gay gene.
-That statement is only logical when you can make the case that the being gay is innate (by birth) However, this is your claim and not mine and I will not defend it.

Offlineslaphappy
Its just me
 User Gallery

Loc: Norway, Eidsvoll, Råholt...
    #3824161 - 02/23/05 07:30 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

a million tiny robot.
tiny toy.
fizzling around in joy.

engulfed in rage
the endless space
tiny dots embrace
create the gigantic face
behind the mage.

a million tiny robot.
i said
fizzling in my head.

a million tiny robot.
in my face
lift me up to space.

a million tiny robot.
told me to stay.
left me, and drifted away.

into daydream
bright and colorful
time gleam

a million tiny robot.
sets the pace.
sent out into space.

this might be me
being dead

--------------------
The argent messenger of truth beyond truth, the antithesis of life, cruel and bleak as interstellar space, pulseless and frozen as absolute zero, dazzling with the frost of irrefragable logic and unforgettable fact.

Edited by slaphappy (02/23/05 07:33 PM)

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3824179 - 02/23/05 07:34 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I'd really like to believe it's true, but I doubt it....

Offlineslaphappy
Its just me
 User Gallery

Loc: Norway, Eidsvoll, Råholt...
Re: Reincarnation...do you believe in it? [Re: slaphappy]
    #3824258 - 02/23/05 07:53 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I'd really like to believe its not.

death doesn't exist, and blowing your brains out wont help.

everything sucks and we will never get rid of the pain.

have a good day.

--------------------
The argent messenger of truth beyond truth, the antithesis of life, cruel and bleak as interstellar space, pulseless and frozen as absolute zero, dazzling with the frost of irrefragable logic and unforgettable fact.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#3824353 - 02/23/05 08:16 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I DO believe in reincarnation. This isn't something I have always believed in. I was raised in a Christian home(we all know what they believe) where reincarnation wasn't taught. As I have gotten older I have read about MANY different religious view points and the one that makes the MOST sense IMO is the belief in reincarnation.

Lets look at how our society engages in "play". When playing a sport(baseball,football...) their isn't just "one strike and your out" in baseball. You get 3 attempts to hit the ball. The pitcher gets 4 attempts to throw a "hittable" pitch. Football is the same way, 4 tries to get your 10 yards not 1. Its the same in video games.

Life is like a video game, if you believe in reincarnation. In reincarnation, the "soul" gets to pick the life experience that will enrich itself the most. In a video game you get to pick the game that will be most challenging for you.

In MY view of reincarnation, if you die before learning the lesson this life has to give you have to start over. Yes I'm talking about a "do over" you start the whole life experience over again. Same parents same EVERYTHING until you get it right.

This answers MANY questions I have. Why do some people have "dreams" or "visions" about the near future that come tru. Coincidence? No. The "dreamer" is remembering important events from his/her last time around.

It also helps to understand that "time" as we see it is an illusion. Just like in a video game their is time, but it is separate from our time. You can save your video game and come back to it at the same "time" that you left, even if in the real world many days have gone by.

As I get older this view point is only reinforced. At a very young age I could not see myself as an old man. I thought that I would not see 40. This "feeling" never really went away, until recently. As I got closer to 40 I kept getting a feeling of dread, that something BAD was going to happen. I didn't know what but I was almost certain that "something" would happen to me and I would be killed before the age of 40.

Let me back up a little and explain why I no longer feel like I wont see 40. I have ALWAYS had a very bad temper. I knew that I needed to get some sort of control over this part of my personality. I believe that in this life I would be given "tests" to see if I could beat my "anger demon". It was almost like I could "sense" what was coming. The past couple of years tension in my personal and professional life has been building. Almost to the point of me loosing my temper and killing either myself or someone else. I was able (after years of learning how to meditate) to get rid of the anger and not let it control my actions.

Now that I past the test, I see myself living to be VERY old. Even having grandchildren.

The reason I could not see past 40 before is because in the last attempt at this life I couldn't control my anger and it destroyed me. Now I have moved past where I was at last time and is like I have a new lease on life. Things dint seem so difficult now. Like a load has been lifted.

By all accounts I should be a nervous wreck. I have been on medical "leave of absence" since Nov. due to shoulder surgery. My employer fired me 2 days after communing off the leave of absence. I have gotten SO far behind on bills it ain't funny but my stress levels are SURPRISINGLY low. I have no worries about the future. Little things that happen let me know that this was meant to be. My wife has recently gotten a new job. My health insurance will quit on the day that my wife's health insurance starts. Coincidence? I dint believe in it any more. It is "Gods" way of letting me know that this was meant to be.

The funny thing is their is NO way to prove or disprove this theory/belief. No amount of "reason" or "logic" can answer these kind of questions.

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
    #3825129 - 02/23/05 10:29 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

ha!

21 votes.

33%
33%
33%

muahahahahahahaha!

:lol::lol::lol:

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Reincarnation...do you believe in it? [Re: JCoke]
    #3825296 - 02/23/05 10:57 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

WOW!

A three way tie!

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3825801 - 02/24/05 12:30 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

So, which one is it? is it genetics? or learned ability?

It isnt like the fetus comes out with a violin made out of placenta playing la campanella. If a kid has a knack for something, it will usually find them. Shoving a violin in someones hands and forcing them to play isnt going to make them master it. A previous affinity for it and that "like riding a bicycle" feeling just seems to point to knowledge pre birth. Now, im not saying it is past lives, it could be just a collective inducement of music, but there is a knowledge prior to birth IMO.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract