Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
reincarnation
    #1024015 - 11/05/02 11:07 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

hey all,
who here digs on reincarnation? are there different types of reincarnation? i am curious about those of you who post often, i want to know where peeps stand on this issue.
i for one do believe in reincarnation.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: reincarnation [Re: CleverName]
    #1024176 - 11/05/02 11:57 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I perosonally am unsure on the whole re-incarnation thing. Here's what I have backing my position;

Many believe that the soul is 'uploaded' into a new body after one dies, which I find a little hard to believe. The contradictory factor on this is that science has proven that energy does not just disappear - it is transferred through to something else, so with this I think hrm.... If someone dies, and they're brain has all this energy inside it, well if they are dead then they aren't using all this thought power so it has to go SOMEWhere.. where does it go? This could be classified as "the soul", so to speak - aka conciousness. That little thing that drives you to make decisions - that's conciousness .. What happens to that when you die? I don't think people are still concious when they die. I HIGHLY doubt that, (although it can't be proven) - so the energy has to go somewhere. Reincarnation would be a decent answer to that problem. Something that backs this up would be the fact that you don't remember past lives. Conciousness doesn't neccassarily require a brain, it USES a brain, and the brain is where memory is stored, so if the conciousness was transferred to another brain, it wouldn't have the backup made previously. Like I said - there's no proof towards it, and no proof against it. It's all theory - and when it's theory one has to be open to new ideas. I see what I see and that's what I base my judgements on. (Or in this case what I hear).

Run with that for a while.

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1024277 - 11/05/02 12:31 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I believe in reincarnation. Although the way I see it, one does not become an animal in the next life after being a human . I don't know, maybe there are exceptions.. maybe I just don't know.. but I believe there are different levels of reincarnation.
Humans, for example, follow their own path of reincarnation. We begin as pure spirit form, and incarnate into the physical body. First lessons of the physical world are hard, as we have no clue how to be physical. It's all we can do to stop from falling off cliffs or starving to death. I also think that when our human spirit first forms, it goes through the perception of several animals to get "instincts"... you could call these your totem animals or spirit animals.
We enter into physical reality to gain experience. Through experience we gain wisdom, which we bring back to our spiritual form which is given back to All That Is, that uses the cumuliative wisdom of all things to constantly evolve.

We are born, we live and experience, we die, go to the other side, process the experiences, incarnate again with a deeper understanding of how the physical works and how we can better interact with it. This process repeats itself over and over until we have reached a point where we can no longer learn anything from the physical world. From there we have a choice.. we may go back to the physical and incarnate with all of our knowledge...our only purpose for going back to be helping others to reach our level. (Bodhisattva) ...Or.... we may enter into the presence of God, and live eternally in bliss with all things (nirvana)

That's my take on it, in a nutshell.

But I believe that there are different forms of reincarnation. For instance, animals follow their own path of reincarnation. As well as plants, minerals, humans, and whatever else. We are not only humans physically, but a human spirit. Animal spirits follow a different path of evolution and reincarnation... not that any one is "higher" or better than another, but they just have different needs so they take different paths. In the end all is one.

--------------------

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: reincarnation [Re: Shroomism]
    #1024294 - 11/05/02 12:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

are soul and energy the same thing? whats the difference?

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1024300 - 11/05/02 12:38 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think there is a difference. Soul is energy. Soul is consciousness.

--------------------

Edited by Shroomism (11/05/02 12:39 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1024352 - 11/05/02 12:56 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The biggest (and insurmountable) problem with reincarnation theory is a purely mathematical one.

Today there are pretty close to 7 billion people on the planet, presumably each one with a soul. Ten thousand years ago there were maybe 1 million people on the planet... that's one ten thousandth as many. If there are a fixed number of souls (let's assume conservatively 10 billion ... this assumes, of course, that the human race will become extinct before the number of humans alive at any given moment exceeds 10 billion people) there's not much of a waiting time between leaving one body and entering the next... these days. But such was not the case 10,000 years ago.

Imagine the scene: you are a soul waiting for a spare body ten thousand years ago. There are only 1 million bodies available, each lasting maybe 25 years (lifespans were shorter then). For every available body there are ten thousand souls. Ten thousand times 25 years equals 250,000 years. Yes, I know this is a greatly simplified calculation, because five thousand years ago there might have been 3 million bodies, three hundred years ago there might have been 500 million, etc., but the increasing availability of bodies is a GEOMETRIC progression, with over half the people who have ever lived being born in less than the last two hundred years. Also, in recent times lifespans have lenthened, adding another layer of complexity.

Let's take a generous guesstimate and say the waiting time for the FIRST incarnation of a soul is not 250,000 years, but only 80,000 years. I doubt it could be any less than that no matter how one juggles the figures.

The problem is, the human race (at least as Homo sapiens sapiens) is not that old yet. Another problem is that this also shoots down in flames those who claim to remember several (sometimes dozens) of past incarnations. The problem is already bad enough with billions of souls waiting for their FIRST incarnation -- it gets much worse if one presumes that SOME souls (how are they chosen?) get to live several lifetimes at various points in history while billions and billions of others are still waiting for their FIRST crack at it.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: reincarnation [Re: Phred]
    #1024369 - 11/05/02 01:02 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You are only taking into account Earth.

I think we choose our own incarnation, based on the parents, the lessons we wish to learn.. the environment... and whoever is best suited to learn the most from a certain incarnation will take the body.

There are plenty of human bodies across the Universe. A soul is not limited by the number on Earth.

--------------------

InvisibleMetasyn
one

Loc: PNW
    #1024489 - 11/05/02 01:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think souls are discrete but are rather infinitely divisible while still retaining all the original information (like a hologram). More people exist on Earth now because the physical and biological laws allow it, so souls are being multiplied, like taking a cup of water out of an infinite lake of consciousness.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1024815 - 11/05/02 03:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i never believed in reincarnation in any of my previous lives, so i see no reason to start believing in this one...
:wink: ...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
Loc: here
    #1025017 - 11/05/02 04:40 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

> The biggest (and insurmountable) problem with reincarnation theory is a
> purely mathematical one.

Maybe consciousness doesn't play by math rules (sort of like subatomic particles)?

> Imagine the scene: you are a soul waiting for a spare body ten thousand
> years ago.

Would a 'free soul' even be capable of percieving time? How would it feel boredom with no brain or memory?

> The problem is, the human race (at least as Homo sapiens sapiens) is not
> that old yet.

What about aliens? What about infinite parallell universes with infinite souls and infinite bodies? Who says consciousness is still bound to time after it allegedly departs the body? Why can't it incarnate into the future, or past?

And who cares about these silly souls, anyways? Aren't we everything we percieve, with a clump of perceptions related to one person being labeled as 'I'? Why should that person care about consciousness? And is consciousness even capable of suffering?

My third circuit is tripping ALL THE TIME NOW! =)

--------------------
Please remove all dollar signs from my listed contact information

Anonymous

#1025040 - 11/05/02 04:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Matter and energy are constant, neither can be created or destroyed. Matter can become energy (if i remember my chemistry teacher correctly) and vice versa. They also change forms.

I think consciousness acts in a similar manner.. you die, your consciousness is dispersed and.. eh.. reallocated? I'd wager the specifics of such a thing are far greater than that, though.

I dunno... just an idea.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: reincarnation [Re: Metasyn]
    #1025293 - 11/05/02 06:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think souls are discrete but are rather infinitely divisible while still retaining all the original information (like a hologram).

Ah. Sort of like amoebas or bacteria, then. Okay, let's suppose that is true. As the number of empty husks (newborns) increases, the number of souls increases (through a sort of "soul mitosis") accordingly to provide enough stuffing for each husk. Why, then, would it ever be necessary for the same "soul" to occupy more than one husk?

pinky

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #1025360 - 11/05/02 06:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

To have a variety of experiences in the infinite range of possible perspectives.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: reincarnation [Re: ]
    #1025726 - 11/05/02 08:27 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Matter and energy are constant, neither can be created or destroyed.

if that's true (and all your chemistry and physics books will make you think so) then where did the matter come from? if you can't create something out of nothing, then the matter and energy HAD to be created in order to exist. therefore matter CAN be created or destroyed, otherwise matter wouldn't be here. 

now you made my brain hurt  :grin:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #1026663 - 11/06/02 01:16 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I do believe in reincarnation, as it is the only way I can explain many things about life...i.e. people born with birth defects, child prodigies, etc. We can see there is an evolution of physical form, and why not a spriritual evolution as well? In fact the physical sprang from the spiritual, just as every physical action began as a thought or impulse. It is also an appealingly simple theory. I am suspicious of complex theories- they make me think the author is trying to scramble around, filling up the holes in his logic until it's a mess.

My only real question about reincarnation is why come HERE to learn lessons about spirituality when we were already much closer to the spiritual in the non-material realm?? And how does a lesson learned in the physical help in our presumably ultimate goal of permanent, bodiless spiritual existence? Can't we just observe material life from there and draw our lessons from that rather that go through a painful ordeal here?

My only real explanation is that somehow we got entangled in the material world and are working our way out of it through repeated rebirth until the lures of the this world are powerless over us. We repay our wrongs to others in past lives by experiencing them ourselves until the books are balanced. And the only way to right a wrong commited here is by experiencing the effects of it on the plane we committed it.

The fine details of reincarnation are still murky to me, but I'm sticking with it because it has answered far more questions than it provoked. It is also consistent with the themes of the cycles and seasons of nature that I can readily see and observe. Another benefit is that it makes one who believes a more responsible person as every thought and action is directly accountable to him as opposed to say, Christianity where a third party picks up the tab no matter what your future actions.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: reincarnation [Re: Jellric]
    #1026851 - 11/06/02 02:34 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I do believe in reincarnation, as it is the only way I can explain many things about life...i.e. people born with birth defects...

Perhaps a course in biology would help you to actually understand the world around you. Damaged DNA through drugs, disease, or environmental factors explains birth defects quite well without resorting to any esoteric or karmic influences.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: reincarnation [Re: Swami]
    #1026881 - 11/06/02 02:43 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

But Swamiiii.... science isn't as interesting! Waaaaahhh!

[/sarcasm]

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1026887 - 11/06/02 02:46 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Good words...

My only real question about reincarnation is why come HERE to learn lessons about spirituality when we were already much closer to the spiritual in the non-material realm?? And how does a lesson learned in the physical help in our presumably ultimate goal of permanent, bodiless spiritual existence? Can't we just observe material life from there and draw our lessons from that rather that go through a painful ordeal here?

Well... that's a good question. Not one I can answer absolutely, but I can try to shed a little insight on. Physical world was created to keep the spiritual from stagnating. It is a constant drama of lessons and activities with rules and boundaries. Through lifetimes of physical experience, we learn many hard lessons about reality that ultimately allow our understanding of the spiritual world to reach higher levels of understanding.
My basic knowledge of Creation and the Universe tells me that Creation is constantly evolving. All things are a part of creation, physical and spiritual. These seperate yet connected entities are all experiencing trillions of fragmented realities, in a complex integrated pattern. Each of these seperate beings learns a wide range of life lessons, through experience....which becomes wisdom. Creation uses this constant flow of learning and wisdom from all these seperate perceptions to evolve.
The physical world is like a spiritual school... a really advanced one. It's not easy... but the rewards are amazing. The pain..the suffering... the joy... the love... we come here for the FULL RANGE of human experience. Through it we gain a better understanding of ourselves, and the workings of the universe. Once we become aware of our purpose, and our origin... our learning becomes ultra-focused... and we learn at amazing levels. It is astounding what one can accomplish when the big picture is seen clearly.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1026906 - 11/06/02 02:53 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It is astounding what one can accomplish when the big picture is seen clearly.

No offense, but what have YOU accomplished?

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: reincarnation [Re: Sclorch]
    #1026919 - 11/06/02 03:00 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

With my soul or with my physical incarnation?

Well so far in this life.. I have had many out of body experiences, lucid dream regularly, I have found true love, am comfortable with my existance and connection with God, have a deep understanding of the spiritual world, have a band and many wonderful friends.. just to glance at the tip of the iceberg...

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1026920 - 11/06/02 03:00 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

You are only taking into account Earth.

I think we choose our own incarnation, based on the parents, the lessons we wish to learn.. the environment... and whoever is best suited to learn the most from a certain incarnation will take the body.

There are plenty of human bodies across the Universe. A soul is not limited by the number on Earth. 

I totally agree with this. Strangely I've been saying that alot about your posts Shroomism.  :tongue:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1026924 - 11/06/02 03:01 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Schlorch, are you dense? Once you get the BIG PICTURE, you can set yourself up as a spiritual guide/psychic/cult leader and start racking up the coin and the babes while wheeling around in your Ferrari; maybe even get your own syndicated TV show after your first book gets published. Start by setting up some mystical type website making wild predictions with lots of outrageous claims and go from there.

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

#1026932 - 11/06/02 03:04 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Fuck L. Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones!

--------------------
Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1026949 - 11/06/02 03:10 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Your cynicism is well noted, though from my three years + on this board and giving advice, setting up a website and dispensing of spiritual wisdom freely, I have yet to find a single coin in my pocket from that.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1026956 - 11/06/02 03:14 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I wasn't talking about you. Sounds like your "spiritually advanced" ego has been pricked even though that was not my intention.

Frauds abound and do magnitudes greater damage to thousands of lives than my comments.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1026966 - 11/06/02 03:18 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have yet to find a single coin in my pocket from that

Hey... that's YOUR fault.

Question: Why is it that "the enlightened" are always trying to escape from this world?

I mean, if there is some "oversoul" or whatever, then we must be on this physical plane for a reason. I don't see why there's such a rush to escape and "join back up with the eternal"... I mean, FUCK, if it's eternal... these 70 years aren't even a blink of an eye. Surely we're not put here (assuming your "truth") just to try and "join back up".

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1026970 - 11/06/02 03:20 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Always so quick to point at a "spiritually advanced" yet easily disrupted ego. Don't be so pretentious.
I didn't think you were talking about me specifically, but lumping together spiritualists into a money hungry category. Certainly there are frauds out there who are just after the $$, but you cannot judge all by the actions of a few.
Although there is nothing wrong with writing a book and selling it for profit, you have to make a living in this day and age. The majority however, give this information for free. Such greedy frauds eh.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1026976 - 11/06/02 03:23 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have yet to find a single coin in my pocket from that

Hey... that's YOUR fault.

You missed my point. I don't care about money.
As long as I have food to eat and a place to sleep. I don't give a fuck.

Question: Why is it that "the enlightened" are always trying to escape from this world?

Who's trying to escape? I'm enjoying every minute of my incarnation.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1026986 - 11/06/02 03:27 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

As I have listened to your drivel for three years.

Information? I don't count delusion or storytelling as life-changing information.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1026987 - 11/06/02 03:27 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Who's trying to escape? I'm enjoying every minute of my incarnation.

So why all the attempts at astral projection, meditation, OBEs, etc?

If you really wanted the most out of this "illusion", you could become a dictator and make millions submit to your authoritah. Living like a king... just because it's an illusion. Hell... I'd do it. That is, if I thought this was all an illusion.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1026991 - 11/06/02 03:29 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Information? I don't count delusion or storytelling as life-changing information.

As if a laugh couldn't change your life...
I've had tears in my eyes from some of his posts... yup, I laughed THAT hard.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1026992 - 11/06/02 03:29 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You will someday.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1026994 - 11/06/02 03:30 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

life on earth has grown because it gets energy from the sun and other sources. very little of it actually comes from earth itself. you eat a cow which ate grass which ate energy from space.... when you die you turn back into this energy and feed "the everything." I just wondering if one actually knows and understands and comprehends this while its happening :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Anonymous

Re: reincarnation [Re: chodamunky]
    #1027003 - 11/06/02 03:33 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

if that's true (and all your chemistry and physics books will make you think so) then where did the matter come from? if you can't create something out of nothing, then the matter and energy HAD to be created in order to exist. therefore matter CAN be created or destroyed, otherwise matter wouldn't be here.

Who says it was created? I was thinking more along the lines of omnipresence..

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1027005 - 11/06/02 03:34 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well Sclorch if I can make you laugh then at least I'm doing something. But I suspect it's laughter directed at me due to a severe case of superiority complex and know-it-allism, but at least I make some sort of impact. Don't let my spiritual drivel damage your rational  thinking too much  :tongue:

To better understand oneself, and the spiritual world which is directly related to the physical.

--------------------

Edited by Shroomism (11/06/02 03:36 AM)

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

#1027018 - 11/06/02 03:41 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hummm..........I think Sclorch and Swami are lovers.

--------------------
Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1027021 - 11/06/02 03:41 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

To better understand oneself, and the spiritual world which is directly related to the physical.

What's the point of understanding the spiritual if you just join back up with it later?

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1027033 - 11/06/02 03:48 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The spiritual world effects the physical and vice versa. An action taken in the physical world has effects in the physical AND spiritual realms, though you may not be consciously aware of the latter. Through a better understanding of the spiritual world, while physical, we gain a more thourough understanding of the physical. In other words, if I understand how the Universe works, I am more likely to comprehend how similar functions will operate in the material plane.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1027041 - 11/06/02 03:52 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

if I understand how the Universe works, I am more likely to comprehend how similar functions will operate in the material plane.

If you do...

If it is understandable...

If the spiritual affects the physical...

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1027045 - 11/06/02 03:53 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Of course... I shouldn't expect you to supply me with a satisfactory HOW, should I?

--------------------

OfflineKemist
Soul ComponentsPrototype IssueM11983MF50 (x_x)

Loc: The Orgin
    #1027720 - 11/06/02 10:47 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i rather believe in regeneration

think of it as a candle lighting an unlit candle

body is the candle and soul is the flame. when death finally comes about the flame is passed on ... although the first flame started the second they're still not the same flame. so death brings on an ultimate death ... with death ends the story of you.

your form, feeling, perception, mental phenomena impulses, and mental consciousness.

all of the above are thrown back into the infinate energy. but the senses are never the same ... think of it as leasing the senses and returning them with some miles.

there does have to be a way to hold these senses together and maybe there is something left of you. in a way theres an infinate body and a finate body that work together to hold the senses. infinate is your egoless self ... the never changing because there is nothing to change. finate is what your born into ... a conscious being with a fragile body able to change.

why ... dont know

i think because there is no ultimate truth we can only munipulate and think in what we are in now but at least now knowing keeps things new.
but im still looking for answers

--------------------
Rafa (x_X)

fuck a sig

Edited by Kemist (11/06/02 11:13 AM)

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: reincarnation *DELETED* [Re: Swami]
    #1034964 - 11/08/02 02:24 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by Jellric

--------------------

Edited by Jellric (11/08/02 02:30 AM)

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
    #1034982 - 11/08/02 02:32 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I actually thought he had a valid point!  I haven't seen his other posts, so I don't know if he's an a-hole or not, but I have no clue how birth defects can possibly explain reincarnation.  :confused: 

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: reincarnation [Re: GoBlue!]
    #1034991 - 11/08/02 02:40 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Seeing as how this is the Philosophy and Spirituality board, I assumed my comments as to birth defects would be placed within that context, rather than pure biology. But yes, I feel there is a governing purpose to life, and if a person has a birth defect there is a reason for such in terms of a human soul. Sorry if I didn't make my view clear.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1035016 - 11/08/02 03:01 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You know darn well, dear Swami, that I intended my comments in the context of a larger meaning of life than mere chance.
I know only what your words say and they were biologically inaccurate.

And frankly, this is the thing that people don't like about you.
Ahh, one of the multitude shroomery spokesmen. There are so many I can't tell who is the real one. It is OK to speak for yourself, you need not hide in the alleged opinions of others

You are purposely an a**hole and I'll tell you something else- you will NEVER win people over with that approach!
Your argument was flawed, but your ego gets offended instead of making a correction. Please go to the Koombayah forum for consolation.

If that is your goal, go ahead and quit right now. Not quitting? Of course not. This board is a tremendous ego-feed for you! And people let you get away with it!! Shame on them and shame on you too!!!
Funny that you cannot see that only egos view other people as assholes as you do.

I've already exposed you as a plagairist ( remember me? ), and I just figured something else out about you while I'm sitting here!!! But I'm going to try to follow the spirit of this board and sit on that one for now..
Whew! I was worried for a moment.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but I feel -YOU- have been harsh on your fellow man, and dammit, I've had a bad day.
So not only is poor Swami responsible for your lack of education concerning conception, but also for other things that have happened to you. Damn, I must be a powerful guy.

You have shown a cold-blooded stance towards the mistakes of youth.
Whereas you defend your errors as if they were precious gems to treasure.

You obviously have a TREMENDOUS amount of time on your hands... so I would guess that you are either unwilling or unable to work, so you have the time to post and snipe from the side-lines on a wide range of subjects.
I never bring it up because people would get even more upset. I have made millions in the stock market and do with my time as I please.

You would never do what John Alan Mohammad did- but you *understood* didn't you, Swami? :-)
You are the on carrying ALL THE ANGER here, bro.

You're damn lucky the people on this board are not so nice as to point out your glaring flank exposure as I have.
Gee, if only I were as loving as you pretend to be...

Clearly you are in a symbiotic relationship with the people here else you would not have been suffered to exist for so long.
Like yourself. You need me as a target to vent on. Starting to feel a little better?

I think you should ask yourself, what do I want from this forum? Growth for them? Growth for myself? Or both? Your suffocating ego has created a chilling effect. Where do we/you go from here? What is your world view?? Where do you want to lead people with your magnificent logic? Are you just as lost as you claim they are? Maybe that is why you have presented no clear vision to follow. Doing so might create a creature that occupies the same territory you have claimed as your own.
Please relate this to the reincarnation thread, your meandering is getting harder and harder to follow.

Irritation is a clear sign of overblown ego. Drink that in.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1035035 - 11/08/02 03:23 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The biggest (and insurmountable) problem with reincarnation theory is a purely mathematical one.

Today there are pretty close to 7 billion people on the planet, presumably each one with a soul. Ten thousand years ago there were maybe 1 million people on the planet

Sorry I didn't read any farther into the thread before writing this.  But once my friend said the same thing to me and I couldn't think of anything to rebuke it at the time but I since have.

That is only a problem if souls only incarnate on earth.  And the cosmos are so huge I think it is pretty far fetched to assume earth is the only planet in the whole universe with life on it.  So it's not such an insurmountable problem if you figure it that way :grin:

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: reincarnation [Re: ]
    #1035048 - 11/08/02 03:40 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

We assume there has to be more life in the Universe because the number of souls is a constant. I've heard other people say that the number of souls isn't constant. How can we possibly know if the number of souls is constant? How can we possibly know if souls exist in the first place???

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#1035739 - 11/08/02 10:18 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You need me as a target to vent on. Starting to feel a little better?
----------------
Yes actually. :smile:

I wouldn't have posted that today,  but like I said, I had a bad day.
Having said all of that, I have to also admit that all-in-all your presence here is probably needed.
I'm not going to go so far as to say you're the sand in the oyster, but I think you know what I mean.

--------------------

Edited by Jellric (11/08/02 10:27 AM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1038278 - 11/09/02 03:07 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sometimes... after awhile... some of us figure out that there's very little bathwater in Swami's tub of baby.

--------------------

OfflineLOPHO.MP
looker

Loc: Santa Cruz CA.
    #1040552 - 11/10/02 07:26 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Pink Shark Mark....

I think that is the single most devastating argumet against any idea I have ever heard!

Man I got to give it to you. I never have made up my mind about reincarnation but your argument is the most powerful I have ever heard on the topic. I can not believe I had never thought of or heard of the obvious mathematical implications of reincarnation.

I can't wait to use this argumant on somebody! HeHe!

--------------------
---Still Searching---

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #1040555 - 11/10/02 07:40 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

the waiting time for the FIRST incarnation of a soul is not 250,000 years, but only 80,000 years.

that's a very well thought out theory...i've often engaged in the same tpye of thinking but without the requisite mathematical skills to bring it through to fruition.....

Having said that however, it's my understanding that the "waitng period" to which you refer is measured in "kelpas" or some such thing......apparently they have very little(if any) correlation to our human devised systems of time.....this is all IF kelpas are an accurate way of measuring the time frame between incarnations......if there is in fact such a thing as reincarnation.....

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: reincarnation [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1040611 - 11/10/02 08:57 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I just hope the magazine subscriptions in the waiting room are up to date.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1040964 - 11/10/02 01:01 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

But yes, I feel there is a governing purpose to life, and if a person has a birth defect there is a reason for such in terms of a human soul

Well said. I agree. I feel that we choose our bodies and environments according to the lessons we need to learn spiritually. If a physical handicap can help us to learn something better, then go for it.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order