Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: The B.S.(*ding ding*) of Karma and Reincarnation [Re: Swami]
    #4028978 - 04/07/05 10:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The Big Bang theory is a made up story generated from the knowledge available to a certain group of people at a certain point in their history. Creationism is a made up story generated from the knowledge available to a certain group of people at a certain point in their history. It's the same. In their time, the now-largely obsolete religious schools were as incremental in unravelling life's mysteries as science is today. There is no reason to lend significance to one system or the other. Either system is reflective of developmental processes of it's surrounding culture.

The problem with science is that it considers itself a superior school of thought, even though it possesses the same faulty characteristics as the other schools it ridicules.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4028997 - 04/07/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

While I personally don't believe in the concept of "Karma" as a mystical universal force that rights all wrongs, I do think there can be a "social Karma" at play. For example, someone might go around being a total asshole to everyone, and most people oftentimes retaliate by treating that guy as an asshole. At least, that's been my observation....

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The B.S.(*ding ding*) of Karma and Reincarnation [Re: Ped]
    #4029263 - 04/08/05 12:10 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

So now a theory is the same as a fairy tale?  :rolleyes:

Please show evidence for the creation theory and the knowledge on which it was based.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4029278 - 04/08/05 12:21 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

All "theories" are "fairy tales" untill they are proven as facts.

Neither the "creation" theory nor the "big bang" theory have been proven.(and never will be)

They are both "fairy tales"

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4029299 - 04/08/05 12:33 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:lol: Good stuff.

I hear where your comming form Swami... however, I feel that you haven't explored reincarnation to it's fullest extent.

Their recently has been a scroll found in the ground, by an old tree, to the left of a trash can somewhere in India that contains the the "missing link" that will help explain why this occurs. The scroll's contents deal with a new concept, that when roughly translated to english comes out to be preincarnation.

Preincarnation explains why we are still affected if this is our first lifetime. It and reincarnation are part of a dualistic philosophy with great implications.

Preincarnation asserts that we are affected by our actions of our future selves, and that's why we are today... think going ahead, while slipping behind. The fundamental difference where preincarnation differs is that the doctrine asserts that we should piss people off and harm them as much as possible. It's the yin to the yang.

Not much is known about it of course, but evidence suggests that it's the missing counterpart to why we're affected by everything the way we are regardless of our actions. Now with the yin accompanying the yang of the philosophy, we can now truly understand that the net result of our dis/position's in life are a result of our future selves and past selves.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4029308 - 04/08/05 12:37 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
The problem with science is that it considers itself a superior school of thought, even though it possesses the same faulty characteristics as the other schools it ridicules.

Isn't it? :lol:

Sure, not all science is cracked up to be, nor are all beliefs.

But if we are to generalize... sooner or later the truth becomes known regarding the nature of science through proofs, and testing of theory when applicable as well as through deductive reasoning.

Please attempt to apply that to belief. One cult is as good as the next I suppose.

On another note... please prove my contrived notion of preincarnation wrong. If it's not possible to do so, we can get into the tenants found within.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (04/08/05 12:43 AM)

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: The B.S.(*ding ding*) of Karma and Reincarnation [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4029318 - 04/08/05 12:44 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

please prove my contrived notion of preincarnation wrong

cant be done

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: The B.S.(*ding ding*) of Karma and Reincarnation [Re: niteowl]
    #4029349 - 04/08/05 12:54 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I know... funny thing about beliefs... :grin:

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The B.S.(*ding ding*) of Karma and Reincarnation [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #4029987 - 04/08/05 08:05 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

>> So now a theory is the same as a fairy tale?

Yes, absolutely. Just as new discoveries completely supplanted everything that was widely accepted as true in previous generations, so discoveries in future generations will completely supplant everything that is conventionally understood now. Any and all systems of thought are reflective of developmental processes of their surrounding culture. Until we can break away from this, any canon generated by the pursuit of knowledge will be seperate from the truth. If you believe that science is the be all and end all of knowledge in the universe, or that science possesses such awesome capacity as to sustain all the knowledge of the next eternity, you are as bewitched with awe in it's fantasm as any religious zealot of past millenia.

>> Preincarnation asserts that we are affected by our actions of our future selves, and that's why we are today... think going ahead, while slipping behind.

>> please prove my contrived notion of preincarnation wrong

If we are to accept the idea of preincarnation, we'd have to simultaneously accept that every event in the universe is entirely independent of causality.

From our point of view, causality flows forward with the momentum of time. Events of the past are the sustaining causes for the events of this present moment. Events of this present moment serve as the causes for events in the future, and so on and so forth. It is not difficult to see that this is so. If we are to suppose that causality were to somehow flow backwards while time maintains it's forward momentum, and that the actions of our future selves served as causes for effects observable here in the present, we must first suppose that those future events occured independent of the causal factors occuring here in the present, because if future events are to be dependent on past causes, those past causes must not fluctuate. Since the momentum of causality is easily observable, and since the idea of preincarnation must operate independent of actual causal law, the idea of preincarnation is wrong.

If Event A serves as the causal basis for Event B, then Event B cannot reversely affect Event A, because that destroys the causal basis for Event B, thereby destroying the basis for Event B to affect Event A in the first place. If, as a facet of causal law, preincarnation were to come in to effect in the universe, the universe would be instantly nullified. Since the universe it not nullified, this law is not in effect and is not true.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4030024 - 04/08/05 08:30 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:

I think there are alot of the similarities between science and religion you mentioned. Why I prefer science is that it moves along at faster clip then most religions. Christianity for example is loath to give up outmoded notions and to incorporate new information. It often represses freedom to think and question our lives. Science is more open to growth IMO, and so serves human evolution better. Now this is only more or less true depending on the religion.  :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineLux
Re: The B.S.(*ding ding*) of Karma and Reincarnation [Re: Icelander]
    #4030059 - 04/08/05 08:46 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Why choose? Take what you need and leave what you don't, no need to conform to one school of thought.

Also, I do not believe that what is presented to us as religions are presented to us in the way that they were inteded, some more than others. There are many layers of distortion. Linguistically for one; through the process of translation. Culturally; the difference between cultures is so significant that one could say there are completely different cognitive processes between those in the great age of religous founders and that of now. Then the most common, I believe, is mis-interpretation. Over time it is bound to happen, and in the vast amount of time that most modern religions have stood it is clear, and there is even historical evidence for most cases that there has been a great deal of manipulation and distortion by man.

Edited by Lux (04/08/05 09:06 AM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: The B.S.(*ding ding*) of Karma and Reincarnation [Re: Lux]
    #4030096 - 04/08/05 09:01 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Well Lux, I do not choose. I was speaking in general, as to the population at large, and our evolution.

Personally I see science in very similar ways as religion as I said.

I use it all and everything. I adhere to no one philosophy and welcome new information. I realize no ultimate truth other than Love. And I can not prove any of my current beliefs. :heart: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (04/08/05 09:02 AM)

OfflineLux
Re: The B.S.(*ding ding*) of Karma and Reincarnation [Re: Icelander]
    #4030127 - 04/08/05 09:13 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Oh I wasn't accusing you of anything. I absolutely agree with the view of seeing religion and science in the same light. Simply different paths all with the same objective of truth, each bringing it's own unique insight, though also bringing it's own limitations.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #4030171 - 04/08/05 09:30 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
The Big Bang theory is a made up story generated from the knowledge available to a certain group of people at a certain point in their history.  Creationism is a made up story generated from the knowledge available to a certain group of people at a certain point in their history.  It's the same.  In their time, the now-largely obsolete religious schools were as incremental in unravelling life's mysteries as science is today.

It is not the same. It is only the same in principle, and looking at it only through that lens belies the substance and reality of both systems. It is the same as saying that "John Paul the Second was a man born in a specific place and Adolph Hitler was also a man born in such a place at such a time, and they are the same". They have similarities in some characteristics, but they also show great differences. I would imagine that past religious schools pursued different interests and used different methods to pursue those interests than what shall be known as science does. Different methods that apply to different areas of study.

Quote:

There is no reason to lend significance to one system or the other.  Either system is reflective of developmental processes of it's surrounding culture.

The effectiveness of one system as compared to another underlines said system's signifigance. Obviously, each system reflects the developmental processes of the culture it arose from. Is that the definitive summation of that system? Of course not. Each system is a method to be used for a specific end. The success it meets at arriving at that specific end determines the signifigance of that system at accomplishing precisely that.

Quote:

How does science, a conceptual organization of thoughts and ideas, consider itself a superior school of thought? Science is a method, not a conscious entity deriving from itself a sense of self-importance. In this same vein, it doesn't ridicule anything, either. I'm surprised that one would project onto conceptual thought processes in this way. :shocked: I never knew the last step in the scientific process was "I am the omnipotent science! I am superior to other concepts! Relinquish control of yoursel to me!' :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #4030192 - 04/08/05 09:38 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
If karma and reincarnation were real and the driving force behind why "stuff" happens, then nothing "good" or "bad" could happen to a first timer on this planet until he/she did acts to create karma. Because the whole "hypothesis" doesn't even make sense using it's own logic, yet another layer of B.S. must be added to attempt to fill the gaping hole/inconsistency.

This type of additional apology/explanation is ALWAYS a warning sign of a failed model.

This makes sense if the "first timer" arrived from an external source. But we all come from the same place.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The B.S.(*ding ding*) of Karma and Reincarnation [Re: the_phoenix]
    #4030487 - 04/08/05 11:25 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

>> They have similarities in some characteristics, but they also show great differences.

Those differences are merely reflective of the differences in cultural perspective from then and now.

>> Science is a method, not a conscious entity deriving from itself a sense of self-importance.

Science is practiced by a community. It's this community which is, generally speaking, arrogantly self-assured and self-important, just like practioners of popularized religion were in their time.

>> The effectiveness of one system as compared to another underlines said system's signifigance.

>> Each system is a method to be used for a specific end. The success it meets at arriving at that specific end determines the signifigance of that system at accomplishing precisely that.

Both science and popular institutionalized religion are used to accomplish the same primary (but of course not exclusive) end: the comfort and warmth of a population which finds the indefinability of it's own identity and purpose absolutely unbearable. In their time, either side has proven itself equally effective at accomplishing this single objective, and for this reason (and many others) there is no real distinction.

I understand that I'm not being very friendly to science or the scientific community. There is no special reason to be. Popular science and popular religion are different manifestations of the same process, possessing the same faults and the same strengths as relevant to their cultural context.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4030569 - 04/08/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
>> Preincarnation asserts that we are affected by our actions of our future selves, and that's why we are today... think going ahead, while slipping behind.

>> please prove my contrived notion of preincarnation wrong

If we are to accept the idea of preincarnation, we'd have to simultaneously accept that every event in the universe is entirely independent of causality.

From our point of view, causality flows forward with the momentum of time.  Events of the past are the sustaining causes for the events of this present moment.  Events of this present moment serve as the causes for events in the future, and so on and so forth.  It is not difficult to see that this is so.  If we are to suppose that causality were to somehow flow backwards while time maintains it's forward momentum, and that the actions of our future selves served as causes for effects observable here in the present, we must first suppose that those future events occured independent of the causal factors occuring here in the present, because if future events are to be dependent on past causes, those past causes must not fluctuate.  Since the momentum of causality is easily observable, and since the idea of preincarnation must operate independent of actual causal law, the idea of preincarnation is wrong.

If Event A serves as the causal basis for Event B, then Event B cannot reversely affect Event A, because that destroys the causal basis for Event B, thereby destroying the basis for Event B to affect Event A in the first place.  If, as a facet of causal law, preincarnation were to come in to effect in the universe, the universe would be instantly nullified.  Since the universe it not nullified, this law is not in effect and is not true.

bah! You'r just using a generalized stance on time, reincarnation doesn't follow either with that line of thought.

Your just thinking in terms of science... you can't use science to prove or disprove beliefs (or so I've read...).

Your thinking that time is just one way, if one were to look at the basis and the flow of time, and look at the backwards adaptation and evolution till we achieve one instant, which indeliably promotes an evolution of order by looking backwards, it makes perfect sense.

Think outside the box, it's equally valid to look backwards as it is forwards. In terms of causality, it is still applicalbe, only we are seeing the effect prior to the cause, and hence causality still applies in a backwards sense of the word. Even in a forward sense of the word, it all depends on how far you wish to dwelve into it.

It's like watching a movie where someone jumps out of a plane to go skydiving and watching it while rewinding. Altogether the nature of the event is unchanged, the only difference is the order in which it took place.

BTW I do believe it's wrong, hence why I contrived the B.S. notion of preincarnation... but one could make it seem as sensible as any other belief if one were to take the time to refine it, and explain why dynamic change happens backwards through time, independant of fluctuating variables, as one could omit such variables, and provide some "mystic" explanation as why they aren't part of the determinant of said event (In terms of dynamic future events affecting the past which you're percieving as static and already written in terms of causality, but that is only applicable if you're reasonable... ). :shrug: Either way, the point of the example wasn't how valid it was, the point is that any belief can be made to justify anything befalling it in terms of it's effects.

Causality would be but a minor road block in way of preincarnations potential to revolutionize how we act on the basis of our future selves. It's easy enough to suggest in terms of beliefs why it isn't valid to look at it in terms causality because one can't really apply scientific method to a belief, as a belief holds itself above and beyond proof. One must have faith in their future selves, and hope that in the future they did good, as they're paying for it now (prekarma anyhow). Can one live a good life in the future in hopes of changing the past as a result of having knowledge of prekarma? No, one cannot do that with reincarnation either, it's not an ironclad fact...

~shit happens, doesn't mean that we all need to be assholes and the like, but we needn't stick to a belief that is unsubstantiated beyond what is suggested, as I've seen no real result of it beyond what people suggest, and link events to actions, that are for the most part just a consequence of life...

Can you prove that reincarnation and karma exist, and operate as is suggested beyond linking good actions, with a reward (fortuanate event) in absolute terms... or is it that we must assume that a fortuante event happened as a result of a good action?

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (04/08/05 12:30 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #4030733 - 04/08/05 12:17 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
Those differences are merely reflective of the differences in cultural perspective from then and now.

Perhaps they are. I was referring to the actual distinctions between these processes for accumulating information and understanding, the concepts themselves. They may have arisen from a certain perspective, but the nature of these concepts themselves are distinct from other concepts and stand seperate from the perspective that they perhaps reflect. Different perspectives produce different thoughts, but that doesn't mean that these thoughts produced through this perspective have nothing to distinguish them from these thoughts over here, thought from that perspective.

Both perspectives are indeed the result of the knowledge available to said culture at said time. This, although it is a common link, does not place both perspectives on a level playing ground, where both are equal, are the same, and have no real meaning that reflects reality in more truthful ways than the other. If one perspective has access to more accurate knowledge and a better thinking process to make use of that knowledge, that perspective will be more reflective of reality itself, as compared to another perspective that simply makes assumptions, instead of observations.

Quote:

Science is practiced by a community.  It's this community which is, generally speaking, arrogantly self-assured and self-important, just like practioners of popularized religion were in their time.

First off, denoting the difference between a community that practices something and the thing that is practiced itself is an important distinction to be made. Science as a concept and a practice cannot be contaminated by such arrogrance and self-assuredness and -importance, it is the failing of those who utilize science.

I personally do not feel that I can stand on ground upon which I can make claims concerning the general attitudes of the community who uses science. I am not privleged to the thoughts of these people. I would also like to note that almost every single person, if not everyone, uses science in their own thinking. It is almost as if it is a natural aspect of our thought processes. :wink:

Quote:

Both science and popular institutionalized religion are used to accomplish the same primary (but of course not exclusive) end:  the comfort and warmth of a population which finds the indefinability of it's own identity and purpose absolutely unbearable.  In their time, either side has proven itself equally effective at accomplishing this single objective, and for this reason (and many others) there is no real distinction. 

I cast doubt upon this. The reason is that, while perhaps some utilize both science and institutionalized religion to accomplish these ends you describe, and even if that is the reason they were established in the first place, both can be used by people of different mindsets, looking to accomplish different ends. Perhaps science might be used in order to find knowledge that can be applied in an invention, instead of seeking a stable understanding out of fear. etc. etc. etc.

My point is to acknowledge the actual differences within these concepts and what they encompass themselves. *shrugs*

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4030952 - 04/08/05 01:31 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I understand that I'm not being very friendly to science or the scientific community. There is no special reason to be.

You mean other than the fact that you are hypocritically using the fruits of science (electricity, computer, Internet; etc.) to denigrate the same?  :rolleyes:

Now try passing the same simultaneous message to us using religion or another cultural derivative.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #4030955 - 04/08/05 01:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order