Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Can education interfere with intelligence?
    #3777216 - 02/14/05 02:21 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There is certainly nothing wrong with pursuing education. It is valuable to understand new concepts and ideas. However, I have met some people who have been educated beyond their intelligence.

I have also met people who were intelligent and educated, but their education so mucked up their brain that they didn't indulge in their true intelligence as much as they should have. These people allowed their heads to be filled with esoteric and grandiose ideas which have practically no utility in the real world. I think I am starting to prize common sense over "education".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3777228 - 02/14/05 02:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Education, or at least primary and secondary education, should focus on practical, real-world knowledge. This way, even those who aren't too bright can still have what it takes to succeed. Those who are intelligent and want to look more deeply into subjects of interest can go to some liberal arts college or simply use resources like their local library or the internet. I've noticed there seems to be a strong correllation between intelligence and curiosity.

--------------------

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: Silversoul]
    #3777965 - 02/14/05 09:40 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I dropped out when I was 15, Read the second article under my signature.

--------------------
Agent 727

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: Silversoul]
    #3778357 - 02/14/05 11:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Education, or at least primary and secondary education, should focus on practical, real-world knowledge. This way, even those who aren't too bright can still have what it takes to succeed.

I completely agree. Primary and secondary education is now all about college prep, not life prep and there is a big difference. The prep is, how to memorize facts and details to pass tests.

How many grown adults can't manage a check book or personal finances, have not a clue about how to have a healthy relationship or raise children, and zero work ethic in areas of customer appreciation and satisfaction. (Without college one will most likely end up in the service industry, in other words, needing people skills)

To get the posters questions, I think education from birth on has to be careful not to stunt natural intelligence. It's great when done correctly. If when a developing child is building neural pathways for future problem resolution and all they get is NO WRONG NO WRONG DANGER FEAR STOP NO WRONG, well look at how that may retard their neural development?

Where does innate intelligence have a place to run and become realized in a brain where all neural pathways hit quick dead ends.

I could write a book on it but you can figure out what I am implying and here and that change in early child developement and education can have a huge impact on future intelligence realization or utilization.

A child's natural sense of curiosity has to be encouraged and nurtured not STOPPED dead in its tracks every time its on the move.

Like paradigm said, their is a link between curiosity and intelligence. Stunt one and you stunt the other.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (02/14/05 11:28 AM)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3778366 - 02/14/05 11:15 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I remember my freshman college advisor saying something like:

"For the last 12 years you have been educated to follow others, educated not to think for yourself, educated to do what you have been told, educated to draw between the lines. The next for years we will be undoing everything you have been taught. As a scientist, your job will be to act on your own, your job will be to think for yourself, your job will be to do as you wish, your job will be to draw outside of the lines. Society does not like leaders outside of the norm, but your choosen profession leaves no room for followers."

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3779584 - 02/14/05 04:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have heard the same thing about music education (to which I have none).... From a friend that majored in musical education, within the last days of class they were all told "OK, you know all of the rules, guidlines, and theories.... Now forget ALL of it, and use your "instincts" for creative thought if you want to make original music...."

Simply said, it is hard to think outside the box when taught for so long to stay in the box.... BUT, it is something one can develop with practice....

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3779731 - 02/14/05 05:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I burn boxes, break molds and shatter glass.

I burned the box when I dropped out, I will break the mold when I succeed and I will shatter glass the whole time.

--------------------
Agent 727

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: MAGnum]
    #3779765 - 02/14/05 05:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MAGnum said:I will shatter glass the whole time.

Better keep yer~ shoes on....  :grin:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#3780500 - 02/14/05 08:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You need not shoes when you walk an inch off the ground. Praise God.

--------------------
Agent 727

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3780574 - 02/14/05 08:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"it is hard to think outside the box when taught for so long to stay in the box"

You must first construct your own box...then escape from it before the box is mastered.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3780732 - 02/14/05 09:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Seems you are commingling education with brain-washing which are not even remotely the same.

To answer your question, edcuation does not interfere with intelligence. In fact, it gives the intellect a much greater field in which to explore and play.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: Swami]
    #3781559 - 02/14/05 11:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

werd. social programming = evil

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: relativexistance]
    #3781583 - 02/14/05 11:44 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

unless it's social programming we all happen to agree with, such as 'don't hit each other even if you want to'

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
    #3781996 - 02/15/05 01:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Swap "education" with "schooling".  And i agree.    :thumbup:

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: Great Scott]
    #3782654 - 02/15/05 08:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah nothing wrong with education. I love being at a good college. I'm not exactly sure why, or what I'm learning, but I'll figure something out.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineRJLR
No greater love
 User Gallery

Loc: France, keepin' tabs with...
Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: freddurgan]
    #3782900 - 02/15/05 10:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Some one told me that the English government is thinking of pasting a law where if kids are miss behaving then they get sent to a special school, like an army kind of thing... anyone know any thing else about this... I can only see bad things and eventual revolution coming from that...

--------------------
Gotta to spread the word about:
http://www.johnnyganjaseed.com/johnny.htm

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3783076 - 02/15/05 11:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

To get the posters questions, I think education from birth on has to be careful not to stunt natural intelligence. It's great when done correctly. If when a developing child is building neural pathways for future problem resolution and all they get is NO WRONG NO WRONG DANGER FEAR STOP NO WRONG, well look at how that may retard their neural development?

I sorta think the opposite way about that..
teachers not having the balls to tell a student they're not right when they give a wrong answer..
schools advancing failing students to the next grade, so they don't feel bad about failing..
I think that does a lot more harm than saying "well.. no, actually 2+2=4, not 6" and "sorry johnny.. you're going to have to repeat this grade, you need to learn the things taught here before you will be able to learn the things in the next grade"

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Can education interfere with intelligence? [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #3784223 - 02/15/05 03:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yes,

What I said has nothing to do with NOT correcting. Its how its done that can stunt neural pathway development or make it flourish like wild fire.

When a child is moving in the "wrong" direction, to just say NO, WRONG, BAD or STOP is the worst thing to do. The best thing to do is redirect them without having to put the breaks on. Keep the curious problem solving, exploratative energy flowing. Correction in this sense is more like redirecting the flow.

You can easily correct a child without having to use those words. later on, if they do a math problem wrong, you don't have to say, "No that is wrong, you did bad". You can say, "lets look at this problem again and walk through it with them and let them "catch" where the mistake was made and then let them re-follow through.

Say the education is related to acceptable social behavior when younger. Joey is pounding on his little brother. The parent may Bark, "NO! Stop it Joey! Its wrong to hit your brother! Quit being BAD or else I will give you a pounding "fear"."

I do not want to meet up with Joey when he is grown up.

The way to do it would be to walk over and gently pull Joey aside, show concern for the baby and then turn to Joey and gently but sternly say, "Did you realize you were hitting your baby brother?" Did you realize that was hurting him? Look at these bruises on his arm. They must hurt him, don't you think? Would you like it if a bigger boy hit you and left bruises on you? We show love and respect for each other in this world. How would you play with your baby brother to show him love and respect? That's better. Thank you, hugs and kisses. Now tell your brother you are sorry and give him hugs and kisses too.

In the process, they will begin to learn how to catch and self correct themselves.

I am ALL for education and see every moment as a teaching moment. Education doesn't interfere with intelligence. I question what it is some people consider educating and NO WRONG STOP BAD FEAR are not necessary and are stunting without any corrective re guiding and follow through to what is a YES RIGHT GOOD LOVE.

The prior is how children are dummied down.

Does that help you understand what I said better?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (02/15/05 03:58 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom