Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleUv1
enthusiast

Loc: Bloom County
Post deleted by users_request
    #336813 - 06/07/01 06:10 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: WTF? An intelligent comment on WOD in US politics [Re: Uv1]
    #336828 - 06/07/01 06:30 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

They're not all that large. i don't like to associate myself with the party as much as i do with the idiology. to be honest they don't have good leadership and the party is filled with many that don't know how to play the game of politics at the same time holding to their beliefs. It's quite sad because i like the veiws of Harry Browne but he expects people just to vote for him for being a libertarian. Personaly i find that pretty pompass because i've heard people on this site state that they are libertarian and they couldn't be a bigger liberal or just plain ignorant as to what a libertarian is. I my not have the greatest knowledge of the "ideal" libertarian but others do. Mookie is a good one to ask.

Relax, Relax, Relax.....it's just a little pin prick * there'll be no more AARRGGHHH!!!! but you may feel a little sick.....

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineMOoKie
    #337529 - 06/08/01 12:49 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

It's beginning to rapidly grow. The LP currently has roughly 220,000 registered members, but that number is exponentially rising. In fact the number increased by 10% in a year. (Due to the election.) It's the largest of all the third parties.

In the past election Browne recieved roughly 400,000 votes. He was projected to get more, but at the last minute a lot of people voted for the "lesser of two evils." All in all, the LP recieved more votes then all of the other third parties combined; counting all offices up for grabs. In the notoriously liberal state of Massachussettes, the candidate for Senate recieved a pretty staggering 11.9 percent. She's going to run for Governor of that state now, and actually has a fighting chance. It was a pretty good election year for the LP. Representative Ron Paul of Texas is the highest ranking Libertarian ideologist, although he is a Republican so he can get elected. If you see a lone "no" vote in the house, it's usually him.

Libertarian candidates took away enough votes from two Republicans that Democrats took their senate seats by a very small margin. If it hadn't been for those to LP candidates the Republicans would still have majority of the senate.

Its the best organized, and most cohesive party, you really can't be a very moderate Libertarian. The two most contentious issues are abortion and the death penalty, other than that we all pretty much agree on the same things.

The problem is the extremist members. Timothy McVeigh claimed to be a Libertarian. Many times the Libertarian Party gets accused of being anarchists, much to the chagrin of anarchists :laugh:. This couldn't be further from the truth.

--------------------
"If it ain't one thing, then it's the other. Any cause that crosses your path; your heart bleeds for anyone's brother. I've got to tell you you're a pain in the ass."      Oingo Boingo!

OfflineMOoKie
Re: WTF? An intelligent comment on WOD in US politics [Re: Innvertigo]
    #337537 - 06/08/01 01:02 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

This is true, the LP doesn't really have great leadership, but there isn't as much in-fighting amongst the party. A lot of politicians are drawn to the major parties, because it's more lucrative for them to do so. I've been in contact with a few of the more influential Libertarians in my area, and there is a LOT more they could be doing. This holds true for the national party as a whole. I wish they'd let me run it! :tongue:

Edited by MOoKie on 06/08/01 03:02 AM.

--------------------
"If it ain't one thing, then it's the other. Any cause that crosses your path; your heart bleeds for anyone's brother. I've got to tell you you're a pain in the ass."      Oingo Boingo!

OfflineKriz
old hand

Loc: Chicago
    #338063 - 06/11/01 02:39 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

How large is the Libertarian party? Do they have a significant place in the US politics? What is the general opinion on them?

In truth most ppl are probably libertarians.. they just don't know it. Also, there have been 2 i believe libertarian presidents in this country, though i'm not 100% sure on that number, nor who they were. Although, you could say that just about every one of our founding fathers were, or atleast close. They hold most of the ideals the country was founded on.

~Kriz

for a good time call (847)255-0350 ask for Kriz... i'm hot and ready for action...

(yes my real phone number)

--------------------
for a good time call (847)255-0350 ask for Kriz... i'm hot and ready for action...

InvisibleUv1
enthusiast

Loc: Bloom County
Post deleted by users_request [Re: Kriz]
    #340416 - 06/14/01 04:02 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineKriz
old hand

Loc: Chicago
    #340446 - 06/14/01 06:05 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

No JFK was a democrat.

As for what you get.. you get a strange teenage guy pretending to wanna talk to you.

~Kriz

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies