Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelovelight
float

Loc: yellow submarine
Proof of Universal Consciousness!
    #3117863 - 09/10/04 11:29 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Shroomnoob's thread on mind reading inspired this thread. Thanks!

The idea of Universal or Collective Consciousness, or more scientifically Morphic Resonance is that knowledge can be unconsciously transmitted from one mind to another and that we might all be mentally interconnected on some level. I read about the following experiment in a great book, and found it intriguing, hope you do too!

An experiment was set up. 2 figurative (representational) drawings were converted into 2 abstract (non representational) images which dsguised the original subjects by eliminating pictorial detail. eg. going from zebra to bunch of black and white stripes. One of the figurative drawings and its abstract version were televised as a pair to a british audience to 8 million viewers. The abstract image was shown first then the drawing, then the abstract once again. Ofcourse after seeing the figurative drawing they found it easier to recognise the abstract version.

A few days later TV audiances in Europe, South Africa and North America were shown the same 2 abstract images but this time without the figurative drawings. They were then asked to identify the subjects of the abstract pictures

Their answers produced 2 astonishing results

76% guessed the subject of the abstract image that had been televised with its figurative drawing to the british audience. Only 9 % guessed the subject of the 2nd abstract. There was another surprise. The guesswork of audiences in Europe and Sth Africa was more or less equal. However in America and Canada which lie some hours later to the west only a few guessed the subjects of the 2 abstract designs. Perhaps time zones placed them out of tune?

Although these types of experiments can never be perfect, collective consciousness is not just a human phenomena but is present in many animal species. I find this even more amazing. Will give these examples later if anyone is interested. BTW, the main researcher for this experiment is Rupert Sheldrake, if u want to find out more.

How do you feel about this subject? Telepathy, mind reading etc?

--------------------
Turn on your lovelight, let it shine on me

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: Proof of Universal Consciousness! [Re: lovelight]
    #3117981 - 09/10/04 12:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It's an interesting experiment I guess but there's a lot of variables. The biggest thing seems to me to be the assumption that the two abstract images are equally 'guessable'. I have no idea what the abstract zebra looks like and you don't mention anything about the second abstract picture set.
I'm sure a Zebra would be a whole lot more on the brain of South Africans than North Americans though. I wonder how many South Africans would be able to guess an abstract represention of a Moose, eh? Then there's the thing about everyone involved having some expectation that if telepathy is real one should be easier to guess and the other harder. Maybe when they realized the black and white stripes were a zebra they didn't try so hard to figure out the other knowing that they'd already accomplished the mission.

So those are some issues I'd have with it.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3118114 - 09/10/04 12:54 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Something similar to these ideas is discussed in the book "The Zero Point Field" by Lynn McTaggart. Very interesting read.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Proof of Universal Consciousness! [Re: Frog]
    #3118130 - 09/10/04 01:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Telepathy is as real as a phone call right when you were thinking of that person.

--------------------
Agent 727

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
    #3118165 - 09/10/04 01:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

There's lots of crazy stuff like that. I don't have a source, and my only memory of the following is from a post here a looong time ago, but i remember reading about how if you teach something to a hundred monkeys, all the monkeys in the world then have that knowledge. someone know what I'm talking about.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: Proof of Universal Consciousness! [Re: recalcitrant]
    #3118716 - 09/10/04 03:29 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Uh, yeah, those monkeys on those islands in Indonesia or someplace south-pacific-y when food-washing behavior was learned by a critical mass of monkeys and then the behavior 'jumped' to populations of the same types of monkeys on other islands, that thing, right? There were some flaws with that study, but the behavior was definately thought up by one monkey and then taught to a bunch of other monkeys. Not sure if monkeys on other islands were washing their dirty food at the beach, but I thought so, which definately supports the whole collective conciousness thingie.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Offlinelovelight
float

Loc: yellow submarine
Re: Proof of Universal Consciousness! [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3119488 - 09/10/04 07:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry to confuse you about the images, the zebra one was just an example, and not actually used. But you would presume that since this was done formally and on quite a large scale, and by a group of professionals, that the images would be something universally recognised, and equally visually complex. Can't find what they were though!

As for the monkeys.... they were wild monkeys of an isolated Japanese island who were introduced to sweet potato, but didn't know what to do with it, cos it they kept getting them dirty and sandy. then one monkey washed the potato in a pool. soon at some point this habit suddenly occured in several isolated unconnected monkey colonies simultaneously.

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #3119652 - 09/10/04 07:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

To gaze is to think. Have you seen a purple cow?

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #3120806 - 09/11/04 12:49 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

the last time me and my friend did shrooms we could read each others thoughts, at other times I would say out loud what he was thinking, among many other crazy things like that. It freaked us out pretty good and at the time we were both convinced we were communicating telepathically and got scared we would never go back to normal - having private thoughts. after that experience I am definately more open about the subject of telepathy or a universal world conciousness, yet still the rational side of me says it's impossible. I'm 'on the fence' on this.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Proof of Universal Consciousness! [Re: chodamunky]
    #3120829 - 09/11/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

hey, a long long time ago i posted some thoughts i had on the collective unconscious. i think its very very bad (it tends to keep the lowest common denominator ideas and shuts out highest common denominator ideas) and isn't natural, as in not something you're born with, its learned.
also the collective unconscious has nothing to do with mindreading.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Proof of Universal Consciousness! [Re: chodamunky]
    #3120840 - 09/11/04 01:02 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

The problem is by what mechanism this works on. I know it exsists, but by what means. What energy?

Once achieved, can a person speak to animals? Birds? Bees? Ants?

Human to human is certainly easier than human to plant because we are built to match into each other's schemes.

And where the hell is there a school for the specially gifted?

--------------------
Agent 727

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Proof of Universal Consciousness! [Re: MAGnum]
    #3120954 - 09/11/04 01:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

if you're talking about telepathy, no one knows. yes poeple can talk to animals, but they have completely differnt (lesser some would say?) viewpoints, and so its not really that complex an interaction. (unless there are special magical animals running around like in the old indian and native american tales).

specially gifted would have to be very specially gifted indeed. not just some small co-incidence type things that happen alot.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology