Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1432 | 1433 | 1434 | 1435 | 1436 | 1437 | 1438 | 1439 | 1440 | 1441 | 1442 | 1443 | 1444 | 1445 | 1446 | 1447 | 1448 | 1449 | 1450 | 1451 | 1452 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja] * 1
    #29187820 -

The edges on the plate?
LewDoja said:
Huskies said:
Are most of you just using wedges from agar? I've been using whole plates or half ones, and I'm realizing now that is definitely a contam vector in case there is anything hidden...

Yes,  following the old school thinking that the edges are more prone to harboring fugitives. As well as not inverting it over an open grain jar to "tiger drop".

Also when I have a little bit of agar left after pouring, I will add it to those and do a hot pour/sandwich...



Do you mean the edges of growth? or the edges of the plate itself?


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Instant Pot Agar
Gnocchi Water Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies]
    #29187831 -

Plate itself...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato] * 4
    #29188107 -

Blue Oyster going nuts


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato] * 7
    #29188249 -

Bispo (I hope) 🚀


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MycCycle] * 3
    #29189527 -

Lion's Mane on water agar.  I am so impressed by how determined these are to fruit. They are regularly fruiting on me before fully colonizing grain or all-in-one bags, and here they are fruiting in an essentially zero nutrient environment!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: SweepHand]
    #29189561 -

Can you DM me your source? I'm looking for good LM genetics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: psilygoose]
    #29189596 -

Just sent you a message...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: SweepHand] * 3
    #29189830 -

Taman Negara



My very fluffy F1 for what I think is going to be a cross between Husky and Yeti, not sure if it should be Husky or Samoyed, although the latter seems appropriately named due to how fluffy it is.



A pic from the original plate I plopped a clump of seemingly germinated spores in open air, thus the yeast or mold, that the mycelium has overcome. I took another sample from 12 o clock and 2 o clock for good measure since they are going strong near enemy forces.



--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Instant Pot Agar
Gnocchi Water Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #29189864 -

What do you use to wrap plates in 2025?

I used to use glad wrap. I divided a roll of glad wrap into smaller pieces using a pipe cutter.

Grafting tape is a pain in the ass to work with, so I moved to glad wrap after using it for a while. It was challenging to tear away from the roll after I stretched it around a plate a few times.

I've used parafilm and it was nice to work with (and it makes the plates look cool imo), but it's significantly more expensive than glad wrap.

Are there any recent advancements or methods?

Edited by Infinite Monkeys (04/28/25 09:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Infinite Monkeys] * 4
    #29189972 -

I still use cling wrap cut with a pipe cutter


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Infinite Monkeys] * 2
    #29190012 -

Infinite Monkeys said:
What do you cobbers use to wrap plates in 2025?

I used to use glad wrap. I divided a roll of glad wrap into smaller pieces using a pipe cutter.

Grafting tape is a pain in the ass to work with, so I moved to glad wrap after using it for a while. It was challenging to tear away from the roll after I stretched it around a plate a few times.

I've used parafilm and it was nice to work with (and it makes the plates look cool imo), but it's significantly more expensive than glad wrap.

Are there any recent advancements or methods?



Tbh, I vouch for the sauce containers and there are many on the site that are doing quite well. Never had to worry about it since its a proper snap on seal.


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Instant Pot Agar
Gnocchi Water Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Smellyhobbit] * 2
    #29190018 -

I use parafilm, it might be expensive, but 40 USD for +200 plates and going is fine by me. I'll try cling as soon as I run out of parafilm, until then, team parafilm.

I can't hold my tongue, I've not seen many parafilm wrappers actually using it as intended. Most of y'all is not stretching it, Why?


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies] * 1
    #29190067 -

Where do you get your sauce containers from?

I bought 500 petris 3 years ago and still have many lol.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Infinite Monkeys] * 4
    #29190134 -

Restaurant supply stores, 100 containers and lids in their own sleeves for like 4 bucks.

Now, they are not sterile, but considering its for food its pretty damn clean and I haven't noticed any fatal flaws by keeping them in their sleeves and only opened in the sab. Minimal contaminants on fresh plates on my end (like more than 99%). With 1000ml I can make around 80 plates.


--------------------
I call them Huskies cause they Mush!


The Official Wild Cubensis Thread
Instant Pot Agar
Gnocchi Water Agar
Let's Talk Cowtek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Huskies]
    #29190309 -

Huskies said:
Restaurant supply stores, 100 containers and lids in their own sleeves for like 4 bucks.

Now, they are not sterile, but considering its for food its pretty damn clean and I haven't noticed any fatal flaws by keeping them in their sleeves and only opened in the sab. Minimal contaminants on fresh plates on my end (like more than 99%). With 1000ml I can make around 80 plates.



I am not opposed to trying these when my case of 90mm dishes run out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AZ Starman2112] * 5
    #29190845 -



Lib myc growing pretty


--------------------
I eat a few.  should be real tender.  Its tasty.  No starchiness or crunchiness.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: el boso] * 2
    #29191042 -



Hey everyone,
I’m pretty new to this and trying to preserve a Jac Frost culture to make some liquid inoculant. I’ve got a plate going, and I’d really appreciate a few experienced sets of eyes to take a look at it.

Specifically, I’m wondering about two spots around the 13 o’clock and 16 o’clock positions. They look maybe slightly different from the rest of the growth, and I’m not sure if it’s just natural variation or something I should be worried about.

Any feedback or advice would mean a ton!

Thanks in advance

Edited by sneakychopsticks (04/17/25 02:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Kloakk]
    #29191076 -

Kloakk said:
I use parafilm, it might be expensive, but 40 USD for +200 plates and going is fine by me. I'll try cling as soon as I run out of parafilm, until then, team parafilm.


  Am I understanding correctly that you are only able to wrap 200 or so plates with a standard roll of parafilm?  I use 1-1.5cm per plate (stretched, as you correctly point out), so the $30 I spent on a 4" x 125 foot roll will last for between 2500 and 3800 plates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: SweepHand] * 4
    #29191442 -

Sent these two T1 plates to grain tonight! Cut them into 12 slices each and put 6 slices of each in four 1 quart jars. My first A2G jars!




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AZ Starman2112] * 2
    #29191447 -

AZ Starman2112 said:
Sent these two T1 plates to grain tonight! Cut them into 12 slices each and put 6 slices of each in four 1 quart jars. My first A2G jars!







You’re absolutely killing this whole agar thing dude. Kudos.


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1432 | 1433 | 1434 | 1435 | 1436 | 1437 | 1438 | 1439 | 1440 | 1441 | 1442 | 1443 | 1444 | 1445 | 1446 | 1447 | 1448 | 1449 | 1450 | 1451 | 1452 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,833 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,321 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,296 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,512 topic views. 11 members, 130 guests and 236 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.05 seconds spending 0.026 seconds on 16 queries.