Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1419 | 1420 | 1421 | 1422 | 1423 | 1424 | 1425 | 1426 | 1427 | 1428 | 1429 | 1430 | 1431 | 1432 | 1433 | 1434 | 1435 | 1436 | 1437 | 1438 | 1439 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Digit] * 1
    #29164403 -

That one is bad. Anything from section zapotecorum should never look like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AZ Starman2112] * 1
    #29164405 -

No, inoculating a plate with liquid culture will not cause condensation. I promise you, you're more thank likely getting condensation from either temperature swings or storing them way too warm.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: PhenoDreamers] * 3
    #29164615 -



--------------------

Check out my
My Trade List  :opensign:

Check out my
wanted Strain List  :opensign:



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AZ Starman2112] * 2
    #29164641 -

Yes. Condensation can definitely happen that way. It won't always happen. It depends on environment and a couple of other factors as well. I have certainly seen plates that were clear at inoculation get condensation after being wrapped up. So the answer is; yes that is normal as in not a problem, but not necessarily normal as in it happens all the time.

All of the answers about how and why condensation forms are correct, too. They are some of the likely factors that lead to condensation. Temperature differentials are the #1 trigger. Even the heat that the myc produces as spores germinate and grow is enough to create a differential that leads to condensation. Add some water to the equation and you are increasing the odds.

However, fast growth of contaminants are also sources of heat that can cause condensation. So do keep an eye on plates that show more condensation than others.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: PhenoDreamers]
    #29164660 -

SupaThaRipper said:
That one is bad. Anything from section zapotecorum should never look like that.



What xactly looks bad about it? This is a T3 from a clean plate, no obvious sign of contams.


--------------------
Question everything.
Believe nothing.
Think for yours3lf.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Digit] * 1
    #29164675 -

The myc is trying to run from something, you shouldn't have aerials like that


--------------------
🅃🄴🄰🄼 🄸🄷🄾🄿


New to cultivation or the shroomery?  Observe the hitchhiker's guide

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery



Smellyhobbit said:
"Wiping a needle with isopropyl after flame sterilization is like shitting after you wipe your ass."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Mr Piggy]
    #29164705 -

Even the outer growth looks suspect. It all looks suspect. Sorry dude

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29164722 -

ReverendMyc said:
Yes. Condensation can definitely happen that way. It won't always happen. It depends on environment and a couple of other factors as well. I have certainly seen plates that were clear at inoculation get condensation after being wrapped up. So the answer is; yes that is normal as in not a problem, but not necessarily normal as in it happens all the time.

All of the answers about how and why condensation forms are correct, too. They are some of the likely factors that lead to condensation. Temperature differentials are the #1 trigger. Even the heat that the myc produces as spores germinate and grow is enough to create a differential that leads to condensation. Add some water to the equation and you are increasing the odds.

However, fast growth of contaminants are also sources of heat that can cause condensation. So do keep an eye on plates that show more condensation than others.



Your answer is basically the things I was thinking. I guess I just kinda needed to hear it, especially since this is my first go with agar and making my own plates to do this. I wanted total control of the process. Thanks Rev!

Edited by AZ Starman2112 (03/21/25 12:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AZ Starman2112] * 4
    #29164750 -


This mescaleroensis is flying at 60F cold cellar temps. Looks very mean only few days from transfer
:awedance:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: PhenoDreamers]
    #29164889 -














SupaThaRipper said:
Even the outer growth looks suspect. It all looks suspect. Sorry dude



Damn.
Well I guess I’ll post some other pics and see what you guys think.
The myc has been thin and wispy from the get go, I figured it was just the species. 
I have some other plates that are a lot thicker and denser, but they’re much slower and they came from plates with obvious bacteria, they’re only on T2 and they still look like they’re not 100% clean.
Maybe I’ll have to do yet another transfer with cabin sequestration.
I still have one untouched swab so I might try starting over with that too.
Here’s some pics. The ones in the series that are much smaller are the thicker, slower ones that I’m pretty sure are still contammed. Those are T2 on MEA. The much faster but thin/wispy  ones are T3 on PDYA.
Thanks so much to you all for the help and advice.


--------------------
Question everything.
Believe nothing.
Think for yours3lf.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Digit]
    #29164933 -

What percent you running your nutrients at? I'll have to get a pic of my nz02 plates up when I get back home

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #29165439 -

This is a Bluey Vuitton plate I received. Where would be the best places to make transfers from this? Sorry if I couldn't get a better picture especially all that condensation



--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Jrey16] * 1
    #29165441 -

No experience with it, or if it normally overlays like ochra


But at this point there's not really much difference in where to chose, just take several different ones from different areas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja]
    #29165445 -

LewDoja said:
No experience with it, or if it normally overlays like ochra


But at this point there's not really much difference in where to chose, just take several different ones from different areas.



Ok thanks. I'll do that. Yea this is my first time seeing a plate like this


--------------------


Edited by Jrey16 (03/22/25 04:10 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Jrey16]
    #29165528 -

Bad news on a couple of my first plates. :thumbdown:
Yesterday afternoon I saw some small white & green dots on my Pan Cyan Peace River plates. This morning they are bigger. These were from a LC syringe. I’m guessing this syringe is contaminated as I’m assuming this is trich. Well not assuming, it obviously is. These plates were inoculated roughly 60 hours ago. Now I’m thinking is it even worth using this syringe again and shitcan the plates? It came from a TV.

This morning my APE plates had some spots on them. Pure white, no green. Hoping this is a good sign, but still 60 hours seems fast.

So far nothing on any of the other plates, and also on a good news note, the condensation I was worried about has disappeared on all my plates including the uninoculated ones.

PC/PR


APE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AZ Starman2112] * 1
    #29165635 -



Tested out my Gordotek flowhood with 4 petris sitting open for 10 minutes. No contam after 1 week:thumbup::wave:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Morinsana1] * 5
    #29165825 -

While you may be lucky and have sufficiently filtered air going through that thing, the likelihood it having remotely laminar flow is pretty small. That doesn't matter much when things are just sitting. It does matter when you're actually in there with your hands (which will never be sterile) and other non-sterile things. With a laminar flow hood or FFU, having those things next to or downstream of the sterile objects is safe - the stream will divert around the obstacle and any contaminants that are blown off will continue in the direction of the flow. Basically the only thing you have to worry about is ensuring stuff you want to keep sterile is the most upstream (closest to the filter).

Without laminar flow, obstacles like your hands can cause eddy currents, so that the blown off contaminants can make their way sideways and backwards, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Best of luck, but IMO it's better to start with a cheap, simple still air box and upgrade to a proper FFU or laminar flow hood when you need it for bags (or have the extra cash).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: PhenoDreamers]
    #29165990 -

SupaThaRipper said:
What percent you running your nutrients at? I'll have to get a pic of my nz02 plates up when I get back home



I’ve had them on a varied diet. The T0’s were pre-poured plates, which was a huge fuckup on my part because they were low quality and not properly sealed. So my initial plates were almost all bacterial except for the one that became the mother of all the thin and wispy looking plates in the pics.
The T1’s were pre-mixed MEA, I’m assuming it’s the standard % of nutes, but the label doesn’t say. The T2’s and T3’s are on home made PDYA. I used the standard recipe, I think it’s 10g/500ml.
The last plates in the series came from heavily bacterial T0’s, I put them on low strength MEA with gentamicin in a last ditch attempt to clean them up. Those ones are much thicker and denser myc, but also quite a bit slower growing.
They might end up being better cultures in the long run if I can get them cleaned up. Just learned about cabin sequestration after I put them on antibiotic agar so maybe another couple transfers with CS will do it.
Anyway, thanks for your help and advice. I’m honored to have this organism in my home and I hope to get a good culture out of it eventually.
It’s been ages since I put spores on agar but I’ve never had more than 20% contammed before so this has been kind of a learning experience.


--------------------
Question everything.
Believe nothing.
Think for yours3lf.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Digit]
    #29166318 -

It’s hard to see from the pics so I’ll explain. I’ve got two transfers from the same stalk (one from each side after splitting). On one plate all the growth has a distinctive yellow tint in comparison to the other. I’ve taken a transfer from the one that doesn’t have this tint and segregated it via trench on the new plate to make sure, but figured I’d ask here. Could the yellow tint be metabolites from the clone or did I contaminate that plate when transferring?




--------------------
But in the end it's only a passing thing, this shadow; even darkness must pass.

“If I was stuck on a desert island with you and a can of spam, I’d eat you and talk to the spam”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Rooster87]
    #29166667 -

It's kind of hard to see what is going on with the mycelium. It looks to me that the discoloration is the mycelium eating the food coloring. The weird stuff that happens with colored agar is the main reason I quit using it. I would grow that transfer out and see how it looks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1419 | 1420 | 1421 | 1422 | 1423 | 1424 | 1425 | 1426 | 1427 | 1428 | 1429 | 1430 | 1431 | 1432 | 1433 | 1434 | 1435 | 1436 | 1437 | 1438 | 1439 | | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,321 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,296 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,176 topic views. 18 members, 40 guests and 125 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.05 seconds spending 0.025 seconds on 16 queries.