Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1375 | 1376 | 1377 | 1378 | 1379 | 1380 | 1381 | 1382 | 1383 | 1384 | 1385 | 1386 | 1387 | 1388 | 1389 | 1390 | 1391 | 1392 | 1393 | 1394 | 1395 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Ursvar]
    #29078479 -

Ursvar said:
I still think everything is moldy 🤔 I get some strong myc growth, but after the first transfer it gets thin. I already put some identical looking plates on grain and all turned to shit:

I can't figure what the issue would be because my sterile work is pretty decent. Maybe I am bad at determining where to take my transfer from



I think the white balance is off on your camera, or phone, or with the light in your room.

The growth looks slightly blueish, but so does whatever is whitish in the upper right corner (maybe the back of the jar label or something on the wall of the room).

The reflection on the jar, the long vertical blur, also looks a little bluish. Is that a tube light advertised as a plant grow light? (if so it's fine for shrooms, doesn't matter much, but might be altering how the photo looks)

Is that influencing you thinking it's moldy? Does it really look slightly blueish like that to your eyes?

Google "adjust white balance" if you have Photoshop or any picture editing program, or there may be a website you can upload to get it done automatically and free.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 4
    #29079105 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mushroommark1] * 3
    #29079730 -

Lil


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: grzyp]
    #29079879 -

Lately I'm suffering from bacterial contaminants.
I used 15 grams of agar
0.5 grams of brewer's yeast, not light malt extract or malt extract.
I mention this because when I was looking for these products I found brewer's yeast and it worked well


--------------------




" Antes de que cambien los reinos, es necesario que cambien los individuos"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DRAKENCL]
    #29079993 -

would you say the bacterial contamination is visible in those plates? I'm new here trying to learn :smile: - also have recently been told all my grain jars are also suffering from bacterial contamination :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DRAKENCL]
    #29080000 -

DRAKENCL said:
Lately I'm suffering from bacterial contaminants.
I used 15 grams of agar



15 grams agar to 1L water?

If so, 1.5% is likely to aid the bacteria motility. 2.3-2.5% would effectively (help) keep it at bay in order to get cleaner transfers.

However if it was 500ml... that's enough to keep bacteria from growing

Edited by LewDoja (01/07/25 10:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja]
    #29080041 -

I was wondering if these look clean/good. They're T3s, 1/2 and 3/4 are the same plates with different lighting and I tried to align them so they're oriented the same.




1/2 has sort of light waves or lines going across it, I was wondering if that's normal or if that might be a sign of bacterial contamination?



3/4 look really clean/symmetric to me, other than the 3 little lines at 6-7 o'clock just below the transfer wedge.

I was told my grain jars all have bacterial contamination :frown: so am wondering if that is evident in the plates I still have going (I don't have pictures of donors for the agar to grain). I'm using LME agar 8g agar, 2.5g LME, 500 mL water, in the instant pot for 45min no pour. Any thoughts on my grain jars or agar plates would be much appreciated.

Edited by sage_bd (01/07/25 11:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd] * 7
    #29080139 -

Always nice to see fresh germinations.


sloppy streaks 😔


--------------------
This hobby has taught me many things.
Most of those things are patience.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery
The Official Shroomery Cultivation Museum
CakeWars
III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja] * 1
    #29080200 -

Thanks for the correction, that's right, 500 ml of solution.
It was really effective and a more vigorous growth was noticeably visible.:hongo2:


--------------------




" Antes de que cambien los reinos, es necesario que cambien los individuos"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Scemilope] * 1
    #29080274 -

It looks kinda cool though, i.was about to link the gif from stipe... then saw it was you. Lol :cheers:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja] * 1
    #29080286 -

LewDoja said:
It looks kinda cool though, i.was about to link the gif from stipe... then saw it was you. Lol :cheers:



I love that GIF. 😆
The ones I did today are marginally better probably the same.


--------------------
This hobby has taught me many things.
Most of those things are patience.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery
The Official Shroomery Cultivation Museum
CakeWars
III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja]
    #29080294 -

Hey guys! Having a question/problem when taking transfers. I'm using X-acto brand #11 blades.
I flame sterilize my blade with a torch and I've even recently switched to a fresh blade because I thought it was part of my problem.
I cool it in the receiving plate for a couple seconds on both sides then I hold the blade in the flow for another ~10 seconds to cool a little more.

The problem is sometimes when I go to cut the mycelium it just drags the myc across the top of agar(sometimes into bad myc that I didn't want to transfer) and doesn't cut cleanly or even cut the myc at all causing me to have to go back to the flame and find a different section to transfer to avoid the section I just ruined lol. Is this just because I have crappy blades or from the blade being too hot when I go to begin cutting? What could I do to better avoid this problem?

I've also noticed that the blade is usually still very hot and the agar will be sort of slippery and not want to stick to the blade for the transfer. Am I cooling my blade enough or should I be cooling my blade even longer than stated above before going for the transfer?

Here's a pic of the plate that I schmucked last night by dragging the rhizo into the undesired myc. You can kind of see when the strands are bent from being dragged by the blade when I went for the slice. The myc just went across the top of agar and didn't get stuck to the blade, I still went back for another cut after flaming again but I have a feeling it won't turn out good. :/


TIA :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mist3rfortunate]
    #29080421 -

IME & FWIW, I find transfers a lot easier with a flamed & cooled inoculation loop - can either grab a wisp of myc off of the agar surface or go a little deeper and slice off a little scalloped cut using the loop. Very important to cool it in agar before grabbing the myc - too hot and you’ll get nothing viable on the new plate. Good luck!


--------------------
Peace to you, friend!
The HHG is a guide to getting started.
New User Welcome Wagon
GROWER’S BEST photo contest: join the fun!
CAKE WARS III - Starts SEPT 1, 2026

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mist3rfortunate] * 3
    #29080531 -

It just takes practice, (sure the blade might make a difference, try a different style), to take small enough cuts and being able to just barely poke the wedge and dropping it by rotating wrist and dragging (the wedge not the blade) on the agar to dislodge it.

It helps to have the wider side of the wedge be first to contact the new plate (more surface area, more friction).

But when the inevitable happens instead of mutilating the new plate. Carefully use the side of the dish to pull the wedge as close to the tip without coming off.

Make sure there is nothing still along the lip before you close. The sides are prone to harbor nasties from the outside

Edited by LewDoja (01/08/25 07:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sage_bd]
    #29080545 -

They look decent enough to take a wedge or two to grain... I'd also to a couple new transfers of each to their own new plates as well

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LewDoja] * 7
    #29080576 -







--------------------

:crankbowcloud:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Saxifrage] * 1
    #29080592 -

Bad ass lineup

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mist3rfortunate] * 3
    #29080783 -

I don't even bother to cool the blade anymore. It will cool almost instantly when you make your first cut. One side of the wedge will have incinerated cells, but plenty will survive for transfer.

Try not to drag the blade as much. Especially for lateral cuts (perpendicular to the outward (radial) growth of mycelium), cutting by pushing the blade almost straight into the plate will cut more cleanly than dragging it.

Finally, even if you think you've pulled off all of the mycelium from a wedge, it has almost certainly embedded itself within the agar, so those mutilated pieces will often recover on new plates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Phaethon]
    #29080882 -

Now, I am asking myself....

Why do you transfer wedges?  Why not just scrape and dab?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Jebi] * 3
    #29080884 -

You can!

I actually did an experiment to see what would happen if I did a series of transfers with a loop by scraping a little and dabbing it on a new plate. Growth, in my experience, never coalesced into anything really defined or symmetrical. It was clean though, and I bet it would work fine as inoculant


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1375 | 1376 | 1377 | 1378 | 1379 | 1380 | 1381 | 1382 | 1383 | 1384 | 1385 | 1386 | 1387 | 1388 | 1389 | 1390 | 1391 | 1392 | 1393 | 1394 | 1395 | | Last >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 63 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 58 4 10/04/26 04:32 PM
by Rasmodius
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,838 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,390 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,007 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,703 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,325 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,695 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,081 topic views. 6 members, 83 guests and 227 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.047 seconds spending 0.025 seconds on 16 queries.