Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 772 | 773 | 774 | 775 | 776 | 777 | 778 | 779 | 780 | 781 | 782 | 783 | 784 | 785 | 786 | 787 | 788 | 789 | 790 | 791 | 792 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Pinkey] * 1
    #27868263 -

Pinkey said:
nektar61 said:
Smellyhobbit said:
At this point i wouldn’t be surprised. I read here about 6 hours a day. I’ve heard stories about bad agar, so it’s certainly possible. Pinky has given me good advice on how to further tighten up my process, but nothing that would explain a total lack of growth. It’s like things actively resist growing on it at all.



I also use Living Jin agar, plus activated charcoal, and use potato flakes, not malt.

Here's my tek, I get nice ropy mycelium almost every time. (But not too ropy.)

Might be other factors, but this works for me:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27551422#27551422

I think of many agar recipes having similar results, but someone else was having trouble, then followed my tek and stopped having trouble and also got ropy plates.



Wow, 15 grams of activated charcoal for a 1.6 liter batch of agar? I put 2 grams per 500 ml and that seems excessive. I've been thinking about dialing it back to one gram per 500 ml.

Why so much activated charcoal? Have you tried it with less? I get nice rhizo growth with much, much less charcoal.



Never tried less. Works, and it's a nutrient. It's not expensive and I bought a lot.

It makes plates metal too. "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27868280 -

nektar61 said:
Pinkey said:
nektar61 said:
Smellyhobbit said:
At this point i wouldn’t be surprised. I read here about 6 hours a day. I’ve heard stories about bad agar, so it’s certainly possible. Pinky has given me good advice on how to further tighten up my process, but nothing that would explain a total lack of growth. It’s like things actively resist growing on it at all.



I also use Living Jin agar, plus activated charcoal, and use potato flakes, not malt.

Here's my tek, I get nice ropy mycelium almost every time. (But not too ropy.)

Might be other factors, but this works for me:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27551422#27551422

I think of many agar recipes having similar results, but someone else was having trouble, then followed my tek and stopped having trouble and also got ropy plates.



Wow, 15 grams of activated charcoal for a 1.6 liter batch of agar? I put 2 grams per 500 ml and that seems excessive. I've been thinking about dialing it back to one gram per 500 ml.

Why so much activated charcoal? Have you tried it with less? I get nice rhizo growth with much, much less charcoal.



Never tried less. Works, and it's a nutrient. It's not expensive and I bought a lot.

It makes plates metal too. "It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."



Yeah, your plates look great! Another reason I was thinking of dialing back the charcoal in my recipe is because it has made it difficult, damn near impossible to cut a decent size wedge for grain inoculation. The agar is just to soft with all that powdered charcoal. The consistency is awesome for making transfers; it is super easy to grab a tiny piece and it comes of with no effort. However, the past few times I tried to put agar to grain, I had to slice up the plate and scrape it into the jar. When I tried to remove a large wedge (1/4 plate), it was just to soft. I mostly go agar > LC> grain though so whatever.


--------------------
"Looky here, baby... You're hittin' them cornaz too goddamn fast.  You need to slow this muthafucka down.  Ya understand?  I almost spilt my yack on this $200 suit, nicca.  C'mon, baby, get it togetha."

Pinky


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Pinkey] * 1
    #27868293 -

Semperviva T1 finally shedding its “halo” and looking decent.


--------------------
Two eyes to look, One eye to see.
Prying open my third eye

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: MysticMycologist] * 3
    #27868543 -

Picture of the day 😅

Literally everything but mycelium

Edited by Dantr (07/19/22 05:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dantr]
    #27868619 -

Hello again everyone. Hope you are doing well.

Wanted to get a second opinion on how my transfers look.

I transferred two plate pins and they've taken off nicely, but they have some wispy growth along with them on top of the rhizo myc. Any thoughts about whether this is normal or if I should try to transfer again from the outer edges would be appreciated.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dantr]
    #27868628 -

Dantr said:
Picture of the day 😅

Literally everything but mycelium




Kinda lucky if you think about it


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nglsnv]
    #27868636 -

nglsnv said:
Hello again everyone. Hope you are doing well.

Wanted to get a second opinion on how my transfers look.

I transferred two plate pins and they've taken off nicely, but they have some wispy growth along with them on top of the rhizo myc. Any thoughts about whether this is normal or if I should try to transfer again from the outer edges would be appreciated.





Those look great! I like the T3 one especially


--------------------

Links For Beginners And Beyond:mspoil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dantr] * 1
    #27868639 -

Dantr said:
Picture of the day 😅

Literally everything but mycelium




Did you put spores at both the white spot
locations? Cause at the 2 o'clock position,
north of that bottom dark blob, if you
zoom in, it looks like mycelium.


--------------------

Links For Beginners And Beyond:mspoil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: rumfor69]
    #27868666 -

Regardless they shouldn’t really transfer or open that right because it’s black mold?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Screwup]
    #27868669 -

I wouldn't mess with it personally. But if
it's all ya got or wanna practice cleaning
up a culture. I'd toss on my binoc loupes,
fire up my LED tracing pad, and try to
very precisely grab a little of that
leading edge fuzz with a sterile needle and
transfer it.


--------------------

Links For Beginners And Beyond:mspoil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: rumfor69]
    #27868687 -

If your ninja maneuvers are on point and your culture is good, the size of tissue being transferred is moot.

More tissue will lead to finished lc faster than less tissue. Going for smaller pieces often requires more handling and increases chances of fucking it up. Bigger pieces of tissue have more to go on and the leap off is faster and healthier. I throw whole plate pins in lc brine regularly.


--------------------
Question everything, it's very responsive.

culture storage

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: rumfor69]
    #27868713 -

I dropped spores using loop all over the plate so hard to tell where they landed on exactly. But yeah very unlucky. I've just tossed it got more plates to focus on. Just posted it as a interesting plate got all moulds in just one plate is indeed very unlikely.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nektar61]
    #27868790 -

or something different?

Edited by CowsPoopShrooms (10/14/22 05:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: rumfor69]
    #27868808 -

rumfor69 said:
Dantr said:
Picture of the day 😅

Literally everything but mycelium




Did you put spores at both the white spot
locations? Cause at the 2 o'clock position,
north of that bottom dark blob, if you
zoom in, it looks like mycelium.



Yes it does. I'd transfer from the other side of the big white spot away from the contam, but not quite at the leading edge, a little before it. Looks like maybe mold on the leading edge. Maybe.
-----
Pinkey said:
Yeah, your plates look great! Another reason I was thinking of dialing back the charcoal in my recipe is because it has made it difficult, damn near impossible to cut a decent size wedge for grain inoculation. The agar is just to soft with all that powdered charcoal.



Mine isn't too soft. I tweaked the water ratio after trial and error, and it works. If you use mine and find it too soft, use about 5% less water with everything else the same.

Mine is on the moist side to work for germ plates, transfer plates, and being moist enough to get plins (plate pins) for cloning after 6 or 8 weeks without plates drying out. But isn't too soft somehow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: CowsPoopShrooms] * 3
    #27868813 -

CowsPoopShrooms said:
Guerrilla said:
I still have a 4kg bag of flakes I bought in November last year for potato agar, but never opened it, because light malt and yeast agar is the elite recipe "IMO" :wink:



Is that agar with nutritional yeast added, or something different?



Yes 10g agar, 10g light malt extract and 1g nutritional yeast per 500ml H2O. Fantastic results from adding the yeast.


--------------------
Being pissed on does not make you a real man.

...OR DOES IT?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Guerrilla] * 1
    #27868822 -

I have great results just from
10g agar, 8g light malt extract 500ml h20



--------------------

Links For Beginners And Beyond:mspoil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: rumfor69]
    #27868826 -

rumfor69 said:
I have great results just from
10g agar, 8g light malt extract 500ml h20





Man that looks perfect...

:mushroom2:


--------------------


Mushroom Cultivation Techniques...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: rumfor69] * 1
    #27868829 -

Many people do have great results without the yeast. I also had great results without it.

But, if I can get better than great, I will. Would never go back. The difference was too significant.


--------------------
Being pissed on does not make you a real man.

...OR DOES IT?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Guerrilla] * 1
    #27868843 -

Guerrilla said:
Many people do have great results without the yeast. I also had great results without it.

But, if I can get better than great, I will. Would never go back. The difference was too significant.



Even with my weird agar problems, adding nutritional yeast facilitated enough growth to get a healthy sample to send to grain.

I’ll be including it going forward, at least.


--------------------
A Love Letter to New Growers
The 7 Edicts of Mushroom Cultivation as Decreed by Smellyhobbit

:kodama:


Anyone can get a canopy. But can you get what you want?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Guerrilla] * 2
    #27868845 -

Guerrilla said:
Many people do have great results without the yeast. I also had great results without it.

But, if I can get better than great, I will. Would never go back. The difference was too significant.



:brainscream:


--------------------

Links For Beginners And Beyond:mspoil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 772 | 773 | 774 | 775 | 776 | 777 | 778 | 779 | 780 | 781 | 782 | 783 | 784 | 785 | 786 | 787 | 788 | 789 | 790 | 791 | 792 | | Last >

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,320 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,296 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,041 topic views. 19 members, 163 guests and 158 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.046 seconds spending 0.022 seconds on 16 queries.