Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | 335 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420]
    #26997435 -

Clc420 said:
D3monic said:
It’s been found that the magenta and purple can mess with the myc as there’s red #3 which has fungicidal properties. I’m still meaning to do a side by side test on this but going back through all my pics seems to back up that data. All the plates that did weird stuff was on those colors.




Ohh really? Well that might be the case as it's the pink and purple plates that have been doing it. I usually use blue.

I followed this tek https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26628234

And I use the exact same colouring as D3 has used.




Yea, I could of sworn I had edited it to include the newly found issue. I was looking this morning and it wasn’t there. Tried to edit again and lost my wifi signal (bathroom a dead zone and where I do my best work 🤣) I’ll try to get that updated again some time today. I’ve had no issues with the teal or the orange. Honestly even the red seemed pretty random. But it would def do some weird stuff when it did.

I can send you a rusty whyte print for the aggravation/ setback you experienced if you like.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26997497 -

D3monic said:
I can send you a rusty whyte print for the aggravation/ setback you experienced if you like.



And this is why you're a bad ass.

I should have gotten more pics of the magenta failures I had. Here's one. Myc grew downward inside of the agar before trying to expand and was extremely slow.
The orange worked just as good as the teal. I never tried the purple cause it also has red3.



This pic was 3 weeks after stabbing spores.


10 teal plates swabbed the day before germinated in 3 days.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #26997502 -

My question, is that even really myc digging down or is that bacteria. Small part of me thinks bacteria with hints of myc but I’m no expert in that regard.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420] * 1
    #26997524 -

Quote:
I'm gonna make up a stronger batch and a weaker batch tonight and test them.



That sounds best, your materials, environment, equipment, nagging wife, ooops!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc] * 1
    #26997533 -

I have a whole round of plates from different varieties of cubes and a few other species that are summarily wonky as an apparent result of using the neon pink.  One of the weird things several did was-as mentioned above- the myc "growing into the agar " as opposed to on the surface.  I tested several now on grain and they are all growing beautiful myc (gyms, cubes, cincts, caerulescens,  and quebecensis), but you could almost only see their progress on the plate by virtue of the color disappearing.  Other plates from the batch exhibited other oddball traits and when transferred back onto blue they again grew normally.  I've had normal growth with the same pink, but these were all uniformly bad.  Like 25 plates.  I used a little more than usual by accident admittedly so I feel like it's a threshold issue...  I'd mentioned it in another thread and several people were having concurrent issues.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420]
    #26997542 -

Clc420 said:
D3monic said:
It’s been found that the magenta and purple can mess with the myc as there’s red #3 which has fungicidal properties. I’m still meaning to do a side by side test on this but going back through all my pics seems to back up that data. All the plates that did weird stuff was on those colors.




Ohh really? Well that might be the case as it's the pink and purple plates that have been doing it. I usually use blue.

I followed this tek https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26628234

And I use the exact same colouring as D3 has used.



I can support this info. Cultures do grow on the pink, but slow. Had to try for myself. Best growth is on Blue and Orange. Not su sure about purple yet...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26997548 -

D3monic said:
My question, is that even really myc digging down or is that bacteria. Small part of me thinks bacteria with hints of myc but I’m no expert in that regard.



Things I have read recently tend to suggest that bacteria can only grow on the surface of agar while mycelium can burrow under, through, around, between.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26997554 -

D3monic said:
My question, is that even really myc digging down or is that bacteria. Small part of me thinks bacteria with hints of myc but I’m no expert in that regard.



It very well could be however this was 1 of 7 plates that all did the same thing. I'm good at growing contam but to have all 7 plates contam the same exact way seems unlikely.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: nmd_myco]
    #26997628 -

nmd_myco said:
Clc420 said:
D3monic said:
It’s been found that the magenta and purple can mess with the myc as there’s red #3 which has fungicidal properties. I’m still meaning to do a side by side test on this but going back through all my pics seems to back up that data. All the plates that did weird stuff was on those colors.




Ohh really? Well that might be the case as it's the pink and purple plates that have been doing it. I usually use blue.

I followed this tek https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26628234

And I use the exact same colouring as D3 has used.



I can support this info. Cultures do grow on the pink, but slow. Had to try for myself. Best growth is on Blue and Orange. Not su sure about purple yet...




That's weird man. I wanted to try purple and pink and all I've had is issues. I'm gonna make up some blue and orange today with different strengths and see how it goes. I find blue and purple the best colours to see growth but looks like I'm sticking to blue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Clc420]
    #26997638 -

I need to find some more color options that work well. Maybe try some other brands of gel. The natural colors break down in the pc and make ugly colors. Been favoring charcoal powder for black a lot lately.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26997657 -

Been wanting to find a good black.  I used a couple drops of black tattoo ink I had laying around for a handful of rounds over the past year or so and had good results with it but I lost the bottle and was hesitant about using McCormick's black.  Guess it's time to try this charcoal powder finally m'self...  Anyone have one they favor or is it inconsequential?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: alaskappalachian] * 1
    #26997681 -

This is the one I been using, it’s very fine. I use half a spoonful for about 350ml or 1g per 100ml if you really need to be precise but I don’t measure it

Organic Charcoal Powder, 1 lb - The Only USDA Certified Organic. Bulk Food Grade Powder, Non-GMO, Vegan, No Fillers 100% Pure Use for teeth Whitening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWCMRQ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_YdJlwDRbfi7fw

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26997750 -

Is it still easy to identify contams on the black plates? I like to shine a light through the bottom of the plate and get a real good view of whats goin on.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #26997757 -

You ain’t seeing through it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sporecap]
    #26997789 -

sporecap said:
sporecap said:
@xspak:
Very interesting! Did you sterilize the slide (if so, how) or just took one from a fresh pack?

Just did the poor man's version of the microscopy slide:

-Sterilize scalpel and cut a small well in a new agar dish (a bit off center)
-take a small transfer from the bacterial plate and put it in the well of the new plate
-sterilize scalpel again
-cut a large square agar wedge from the new plate and put it over the well to cover the transferred agar piece.

Will post results as soon as available.






Here's an update on the agar sandwich method after 4 days. Growth speed was almost not affected, the myc seemed to have no problem to grow through the agar when being confined. In almost all plates it dominantly grew upwards and then emerged on top of the agar wedge, something which I did not expect. I thought it might be easier to squeeze through between the interface of the wedge and the agar plate, but it was definitely slower in that direction. The emerging agar was super thin and whispy, exactly like the translucent growth one sometimes gets from spores germinating on agar. Maybe this is a general feature of myc that actually growths through the agar? Once it stays on the surface it changes into a more rhizomorphic form?
I took transfers by scraping the top of the agar wedge with an inocculation loop, the amount of myc transferred was not detectable by eye (but I'm pretty sure there was some). Let's see what it does next.
If this proves to work well, I will implement it in my workflow: Spores to agar -> Transfer after Germination into Agar sandwich -> Transfer to normal plate.





Thank you for the update sporecap ! Looks very good to me. My cover slides so far are also doing well. It will be interesting to see, if the growth after transfer looks better/same/more bad than the parent plate. In my experiment it looks much better - but that it not a surprise since the parent looked very bad.

I added another try where I put spores on agar - no streak, just one tiny point - and put a cover slide over it right away. Idea being that the fastest and most healthy children make it out of the trap first.

Also did some more cover slides for other plates, just to see what happens.

I really like these experiments. They might well lead to nothing, but there is always some learning and even if it is just learning what doesn't work.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26997798 -

Never really found it necessary to see through the agar anyway.  I understand people want to spot hidden bacterial growth but I find it easy enough to observe the effects of bacterial interaction on the growth patterns.  I'm sure I've let things slip by,  but they have been of no apparent consequence.  My contams, when they present,  have clear ties to bad SAB work or- on a few occasions- filter failure/lid problems.  If I was just working with cubes colorless might be ok but they account for the very least of my projects and not all myc is as friendly to view sans added contrast outside of the cube realm IME.  I really liked the black when I used tat ink actually.  Striking contrast.  Think I might just pull the trigger on that charcoal btw.  Thanks for the link.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: xspak]
    #26997816 -

xspak said:
Thank you for the update sporecap ! Looks very good to me. My cover slides so far are also doing well. It will be interesting to see, if the growth after transfer looks better/same/more bad than the parent plate. In my experiment it looks much better - but that it not a surprise since the parent looked very bad.

I added another try where I put spores on agar - no streak, just one tiny point - and put a cover slide over it right away. Idea being that the fastest and most healthy children make it out of the trap first.

Also did some more cover slides for other plates, just to see what happens.

I really like these experiments. They might well lead to nothing, but there is always some learning and even if it is just learning what doesn't work.



Thanks for your comments! Hope your cover slide method will turn out well.
Haha, I just had the same idea this morning with the spores, why not try to bury them below a cover slide or agar wedge? They are protected from losing moisture, and some dry spores might actually get hydrated, so it might help with old spores. And one should get a bacteria free culture right from transfer one.
Keep us updated! I might also try this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: alaskappalachian]
    #26997837 -

On the sandwich, isn’t that essential the same as putting your agar wedge face down? Same principle, the myc/contam are sandwiched between two pieces of agar?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: D3_Myc]
    #26997859 -

Not quite I think, as the myc and possible contam on the edges of the agar wedge can continue to grow out without being confined. I usually always put my transfers face down, and they look just like the old plate in terms of rhizo/tomentose-ness. Now the myc that emerged after growing a couple of millimeters through solid agar changed back to a thin whispy type, very different to the old plate. So something happened, don't know what exactly :justdontknow:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sporecap]
    #26997865 -

Makes sense

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 | 326 | 327 | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | 335 | | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,832 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,698 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,320 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,295 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
774,940 topic views. 11 members, 113 guests and 142 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.014 seconds on 16 queries.