Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
You Will All Burn in Hell
    #2408110 - 03/08/04 04:57 PM (20 years, 25 days ago)

j/k

So, I was paying attention to the things people wrote during the Christian-bashing phase, and then the explanation stage, and I understand at least one thing people don't like about Christians:

Christians arrogantly state that "you" (the non-believer) are going to hell for not believing that Jesus died for your sins.

I've read that it's arrogant to believe that way, and that we're not right just because we think we're right, or just because of the bible. 

Also, it's arrogant to think that just because someone doesn't have beliefs, they have "no" beliefs.  Having no beliefs is the same as having beliefs, but the belief is in "nothing" rather than in "something".  If I have any of this wrong, feel free to correct me.  I'm trying to understand what is pissing people off.

So maybe we're just saying it wrong.  I had a friend, once, that didn't believe in anything.  So in my opinion, selfishly, because I believe I'm going to heaven, I asked her, "Why don't you just believe that Jesus died for your sins?  What's the harm?  If I'm wrong, no harm, no foul.  But if I'm right, then at least you'll go to heaven with me."

I was selfishly pushing aside her beliefs of not believing in anything to try to get her to believe what I believed, instead of having respect that she did in fact believe in something.

Now, I realize also that if I believe in the bible, if I believe that Jesus died for me, and that based on that belief, I'm going to heaven, that doesn't mean that every one else is going to hell.  Maybe Christians should stop saying it that way, because it makes us sound arroagant and it pisses people off.  :grin:

Instead, we Christians should just say, "I believe, according to the bible that governs my faith, that I am going to a place defined in the bible as 'heaven' which is where one goes, after death, when one believes that Jesus died for our sins." 

We should not say, "You, because you do not believe the way I do, are going to hell."  Instead, we should say, "Nothing will happen to you, not to worry.  You will not go to hell.  In fact, you will not go to heaven, either, because heaven and hell are a Christian concept and only Christians believe that there is a heaven or hell. 

I don't know what your beliefs hold in store for you.  You may believe in reincarnation, and maybe you are a soul that just keeps coming back over and over again.  Or maybe you believe that once you die, you absolutely disappear, never to be heard from again.  Zip, zilch, nada.

But it's absolutely wrong, I think, for Christians to say "we're going to heaven and y'all are going to hell".  That is, in fact, extremely arrogant.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: You Will All Burn in Hell [Re: Frog]
    #2408146 - 03/08/04 05:06 PM (20 years, 25 days ago)

The thing I don't like Christians and many other belief systems is that they claim to have it all figured out

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2408180 - 03/08/04 05:11 PM (20 years, 25 days ago)

If some Christians truly believe that they're going to heaven and non-Christians are going to hell, then there's nothing I can do to convince them otherwise, just as they'll never convince me that they're right(at least not until I'm burning up in the Lake of Fire).

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#2408313 - 03/08/04 05:40 PM (20 years, 25 days ago)

Jesus was the Jewish personification of Jewish culture. The real threat to Jewish culture was not the imperialism of the Romans, but their ability to assimilate other cultures and accept them into their society. The Romans were brutal when they had to be, but were more likely to come an agreement with their adversaries, in the form of tribute.

Jesus did not die for my sins, he is a construct that dies for my sins every day; an elaborate joke with a universal message: don't fuck with the Romans.

The first line tell you right off its a fairy tale for the weak minded. Mary the virgin is going to have a baby. OK, Mary. Or it is some sort of 1st century ribald humor.
Either way it comes down to the same thing: humor with a message.

Now the really funny part is this story appeals to so many people that they don't see the humor in it. BTW the end is the funniest part.

I shall have warm dry feet in hell and clean cool air in heaven.

--------------------
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I have done it before and it never has an effect on the true believer so what is the point?

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: You Will All Burn in Hell [Re: falcon]
    #2408448 - 03/08/04 06:21 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Just out of curiosity, what is the humor in it?  I am weak-minded.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
Re: You Will All Burn in Hell [Re: falcon]
    #2408460 - 03/08/04 06:24 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

I don't think it is fair to destroy an illusion without replacing it with something of equal value. Constructs help bear the weight of the painful state of uncertainty, therefore something else must be offered in exchange...as in 'Tribute', like you said.

Perhaps Christianity wears thin for some and alternate, more exciting, interesting, diversions become the attraction.

I find pyramid stuff attractive, they have a lot of pictures in their text.

(sex sells, yes I know...I'm sold)

Nice legs Froggy

Edited by castaway (03/08/04 06:31 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2408935 - 03/08/04 08:53 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

I would like to make a kindly recommendation for you Frog. Even though my personal doctrine changes as I grow, Jesus is always my model for human development, and 'GOD is Compassion [Agape, Caritas, Love].'

'Cast not your pearls before swine,' means not to open the Holy of Holies of your Heart to the profane. Christianity is, in reality, a Mystery Religion, and the way in which its most sacred mysteries are exposed to the Philistine mentality is just shear ignorance. Yes, the Truth is free, but it is for those who have 'ears to hear,' and who sincerely inquire, just as forgiveness is given to the penitant and contrite of heart - not automatically to anyone who revels in 'sin.' The greatest mistake of Christianity is to make a burlesque out of Sacred Mysteries, to bulldoze the world with tenets of faith that make sense only to the faithful. Such tactics convince only the truly empty-headed and gullible, but like seeds on rocky soil, their shallow faith soon withers away. Only GOD 'converts' people, not human egos armed with scriptures. Such individuals are only about ego and manipulation and self-righteous judgement.

Everyone believes in something as the basis for ultimate reality. The materialist believes in sense data and the rational mind, and sets Time up as the Ultimate Reality, saying that given enough Time, anything is possible in the universe including the infinite complexity of human life. GOD then is Space-Time. The materialist, of course, has been denied the experience of Transcendental Vision, which is always transforming in an alchemical way, converting the base materialist into a spiritually golden human being. Pity the poor materialist - especially the economically poor materialist, whose frustration must be overwhelming - a living in a material world with very little materiality of his/her own.

It is NOT a Christian's task to judge others, just because certain Biblical passages speak of the damned. Nobody knows who is damned. The Davidic line of Jesus is rife with adulterers, murderers and harlots, and yet are found righteous according to scriptures. This is a manipulative, invalid use of scriptures in the service of the ego - power, manipulation, control. There is no Love about it. The Light of Heaven is the Fire of Hell for those who have not spent their lives increasing Christ within, and decreasing self. It is The former has Eternal Life, the latter perishes. Like the Egyptian weighing of the feather against the Heart of the deceased - the Presence of Love defines the Nature of the individual, and his/her state of being (Heaven or Hell) while yet in THIS life. Peoples' own lives become their own judgement. No one else is needed to judge them from without.

Peace be unto you.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#2409015 - 03/08/04 09:16 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Just out of curiosity, what is the humor in it? I could say that Jesus is the Jewish personification of Roman culture and it would be just as true.

I am weak-minded. :grin: I love bashing you christians,  you fall over, but you always get up for more.

BTW Jesus is dead, Christ lives on.

--------------------
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I have done it before and it never has an effect on the true believer so what is the point?

Edited by falcon (03/08/04 09:19 PM)

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: You Will All Burn in Hell [Re: castaway]
    #2409057 - 03/08/04 09:23 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

I find pyramid stuff attractive, they have a lot of pictures in their text.
:lol:
So do I the pointy part is the best.

--------------------
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: You Will All Burn in Hell [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2409228 - 03/08/04 10:00 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Good point on that "pearls before swine" thing, Markos, and I appreciate the meaning behind it.  I don't think I have come on this forum and judged others, though.  I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm right.  I think I have just shared my beliefs.

I was trying to understand why people hate Christians, and I think I am beginning to understand that it is because Christians (I don't think me, but someone can go through all my posts and find where I have judged others, if that is truly what I have done) judge others and tell everyone who isn't Christian that they are going to hell.

I, personally, don't go around telling people they are going to hell because I realized a while back that maybe I don't understand the bible as well as I should, and maybe no one understands what was written in it, so who are we to go around saying who is going to hell and who is going to heaven? 

I'd like to think I am going to heaven, but I also would like to think everyone else is, too.  And I apologize that I want to see you all in the heaven that I believe in.  If that's judgmental, or if that's pushing my beliefs on you, I really do apologize. 

But this has been a good learning experience for me, to finally understand (I think I understand) what makes people dislike Christians.  Well, I kind of dislike Christians for the most part, too.  I wrote a while back about my family, and they are bible-thumpers, and I am going to hell.  Does anyone remember this?  :grin:

Peace, Falcon.  :grin:

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

#2409267 - 03/08/04 10:07 PM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Peace, Frog; :grin: Live long and prosper, but if you get to heaven before I do leave the light on. :grin:

--------------------
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2409921 - 03/09/04 02:32 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Frog, from reading some of your posts I feel that are becoming more open minded, but that you still have a ways to go as do we all. Yah, I know I shouldn't be talking. I'm like half your age, but I don't think age automatically corellates to maturity. I've had a deep seeded distrust of christians after a christian friend of mine narced me and several friends of mine out for having weed. So maybe you can change my impression of christians. You should start your own website "Christians for Cubenses"! By the way, how did you end up at these boards? Have you any interest in shrooms?

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2410032 - 03/09/04 04:06 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

What bothers me about Christians saying we'll go to hell if we don't believe like they do is:

1) Saying we're going to hell isn't going to convince us to believe otherwise.
2) If it does, we heathens wouldn't really have faith in God (like I'm sure he'd want us to), but would worship him and his son for fear of going to hell.
3) The motive behind saying summit like "You gon' burn" will most likely be arrogance rather than a general interest in the wellbeing of the other. This can be deduced from the wording they'll use.
4) Judge not... etc, like stated by Marcos.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: You Will All Burn in Hell [Re: bert]
    #2410377 - 03/09/04 08:32 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

bert said:
Frog, from reading some of your posts I feel that are becoming more open minded, but that you still have a ways to go as do we all.

I agree with you.  Actually, until I was 26, I thought I was pretty smart and thought I knew everything, even though I was a high school drop-out.  Then, at 26, I started college and that caused me to realize I wasn't as smart as I thought and that I really didn't know anything.  The older I get, the more I learn, the less I know.  :wink:

Quote:

Yah, I know I shouldn't be talking.  I'm like half your age, but I don't think age automatically corellates to maturity. 

I agree.  I have a daughter who is 26 years old and she is one of the smartest, philosophical people that I know.  She seems to have this natural wisdom and peace about her. 

Quote:

I've had a deep seeded distrust of christians after a christian friend of mine narced me and several friends of mine out for having weed.  So maybe you can change my impression of christians.  You should start your own website "Christians for Cubenses"!

I don't blame you for distrusting Christians.  After I had my little snit about a week ago, I was talking to someone (from this forum) who said, "They're right, you know."  Meaning, that Christians really are assholes.  Or, can be.  For the most part.  Or, at least, I've met very few Christians like me. 

Actually, the Christians that are like me are the ones that you would never know are Christians because they don't run around judging people and yet they don't hurt anyone, either. 

Quote:

By the way, how did you end up at these boards?  Have you any interest in shrooms?

I belonged to an ADHD forum and it was like OTD, and I am not good at handling stuff like that.  I tend to take things personally.  So, a friend of mine, who smokes pot, told me about this forum.  I liked what I read, so I joined.  :grin:  I would not tell anyone in my family, but a family member now knows, and I'm sure now that everyone in my family will soon know that I belong to this type of forum, and they will be cemented in their beliefs that I am going to hell and that I am a drug addict/alcoholic/crazy person.  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2410384 - 03/09/04 08:34 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

have you tried shrooms?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: You Will All Burn in Hell [Re: Strumpling]
    #2410405 - 03/09/04 08:39 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

*sighs*

No.

--------------------

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: You Will All Burn in Hell [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2410483 - 03/09/04 09:11 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

It seems that the general concensus here is that a good Christian is a self-critical Christian.

We can either adopt the teachings of Christ as a means of standing aloof over others, or we can adopt the teachings of Christ as a means of self-improvement, of reorienting our actions to be more conducive to the heavenly benefits of a Christ-like attitude. The former serves us in creating a foundationless moral high ground upon which we are able to stand in righteous indignation over the faults of others, while the latter servers us as a divine mirror, revealing our faults to us so that we may remove them, gradually exposing our own divine nature. The former functions to entrench us in ignorance, believing in things without any true substance. It leaves us insecure and bound by fear. The latter functions to dissolve our ignorance, and discover truth with profound conviction. It leaves us bathed in happiness.

It is natural that those who adopt the teachings of Christ as part of their identity, waving the Christian flag as though it were a national banner, would be an aggitating presence to those around them. There is a sort of transparency to this kind of behaviour. When it becomes part of our weekly experience to encounter someone behaving so transparently warning us of eternal damnation, it's natural that we would eventually develop feelings of hostility toward such individuals.

Many harmful actions have been committed by those assuming a prideful stance in their religion. If we ourselves are not prideful in our religion, then we should not be concerned when others assail our beliefs, especially if they are doing so only in reaction to past negative experiences with which we were uninvolved.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2410544 - 03/09/04 09:31 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

well...
would you like to try shrooms?
(just wunnerin is all...)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: You Will All Burn in Hell [Re: bert]
    #2410600 - 03/09/04 09:56 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

bert said:
Frog, from reading some of your posts I feel that are becoming more open minded, but that you still have a ways to go as do we all. Yah, I know I shouldn't be talking. I'm like half your age, but I don't think age automatically corellates to maturity. I've had a deep seeded distrust of christians after a christian friend of mine narced me and several friends of mine out for having weed. So maybe you can change my impression of christians. You should start your own website "Christians for Cubenses"! By the way, how did you end up at these boards? Have you any interest in shrooms?

Most of my stoner friends in Sacramento are Catholic, and I've even shroomed with some of them. The Bible says nothing about weed or psychedelics(or at least nothing condemning them). Those Christians who claim that drugs are against God are brainwashed by the government just as much as by their church.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #2410697 - 03/09/04 10:32 AM (20 years, 24 days ago)

Frog, as a "Student of the Universe", I think you would benefit greatly from some time with one of the most powerful Teachers around, the Mushroom.

Someone send her some fungus!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale