Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: Positronius]
    #2145497 - 11/29/03 09:35 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

what pompous drival. Check your ego, I fully understand his teachings, even more so than you because I can discern between opinion and reality

Yeah, you aren't pompous at all.  :shake:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: Jellric]
    #2145503 - 11/29/03 09:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

otis: was that directed towards me? I hope not, because im not a christian.

contribute to gaia(spirit of the earth)= fantasy.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #2145525 - 11/29/03 09:58 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Positronius said:
weak attack. A non-buddhists opinion of buddhism is just as valuable as a "buddhist", in fact, it may be more valuable because by being a "buddhist" a person is condradicting buddha's teaching, specifically the "dont follow me" bit.

Actually, just because you don't like my argument doesn't make it a weak attack at all. In fact it was a very concise, well thought out, and expertly executed attack, which showed exactly your weakest point of argument, that of your lack of direct experience of what you speak. This is in fact a great argument. You can study ice cream too if you like, and say that it's a stupid fantasy of mixed up ice and sugar and cream. However, those that eat it, could care less whether you or they understand just what it is. But go ahead, don't eat. This is merely a forum for argument, whether yours was totally specious or not. Just because you can name a few words like skandas you think you know something? Ha.

--------------------
...or something

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: eve69]
    #2145535 - 11/29/03 10:04 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

your a funny person. I never said Buddhism was "stupid", i like how you infer that though. I think Buddhism is great actually, but its not real, it is a fantasy for one to believe in, just like all other religions.

So, I cant comment on Buddhism unless I prescribe to its ideology? wow, thats really silly, I hope you can see the severe logical flaw in your argument. Does that also mean that I cannot comment on the existance of god if I dont believe in it?

Here is your problem: you are a believer, and when someone comes along claiming that the thing you believe in isnt real, you automatically think that person doesnt know what they are talking about because their comments condradict your beliefs. Many religious individuals are like this.

--------------------

Offlineotis5
free thinker

Loc: Why do you want to know w...
    #2145635 - 11/30/03 12:24 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

that is the reality

--------------------
"he who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man":rasta:

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: otis5]
    #2145690 - 11/30/03 01:19 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Proof to me that humans do not reincarnate. Until you can proof that with logical, undoubtable evidence that MAKES SENSE - That means you can't say Reincarnation is fantasy.

Karma is fantasy? That's absurd...and to anyone who has paid attention to how things truly work, you will notice karma is some form or another. I say this with Truth, because of experience - and I'm sure many will agree.

You have opinions, but that doesnt make what the buddha taught "fantasy".

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: tekramrepus]
    #2145712 - 11/30/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

supermarket: "Proof to me that humans do not reincarnate. Until you can proof that with logical, undoubtable evidence that MAKES SENSE - That means you can't say Reincarnation is fantasy."

I cant prove anything, neither can you, because there is no evidence that reincarnation exists. Its an idea, thats all. The Buddha was wise, he understood how to aleviate suffering, but his explanation of reality is fiction, just like all other explanations of reality.

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #2145716 - 11/30/03 01:36 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

How can you claim to know what is FICTION, when you haven't experienced for yourself what is REALITY?

OfflinePositronius
playboy

#2145726 - 11/30/03 01:42 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

supermarket: How can you claim to know what is FICTION, when you haven't experienced for yourself what is REALITY?

--you know what, I dont believe in solipsism, maybe you shouldnt either. I dont know where you get off claiming that I havent experience "reality", but a comment like that reduces your credibility to zero. If you wanna play on the monkey bars go right ahead, but im more interested in sophisticated, thoughtful conversation. I havent experience reality because I dont agree with you?....right, the mind of a fundamentalist.

have you ever considered a career as a street preacher?

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #2145737 - 11/30/03 01:49 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Ahhh, now I see why you didn't understand buddha's teaching. You have a doubtful mind.

It all becomes clear. A teaching can't work with an unopen mind, or a stubborn mind. Just like a sponge that is already full of water, it can't soak in new water.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

#2145761 - 11/30/03 02:02 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"Ahhh, now I see why you didn't understand buddha's teaching. You have a doubtful mind".

Okay Mr.Supermarket, go on soaking up your delusion while I follow my own path.

The Buddha once said "Make yourself a light. Rely upon yourself:do not depend on anyone else. Make my teachings your light. Rely upon them: do not depend on any other teaching".

I like the first part, but I disagree with the second part. Thats the difference between me and you, youve taken the second part of his statement and turned it into dogma.

The Buddha was not the grand dictator of truth, he was a mortal human with an opinion and an ideology, just like Karl Marx and Soren Kierkegaard. I treat him accordingly, I consider his ideas, then I deduct what I identify with from what I disagree with, this is my modus operandi,

whats yours?

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #2145779 - 11/30/03 02:14 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

:smile: Good luck on your path

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2145783 - 11/30/03 02:15 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"the less we know the better? bullshit. I dont prescribe to buddhist mysticism, so I am taking a rational approach to his teachings."

ahh I'm sorry the way I put that made it sound that way.  what I was meaning was all the specifics and people saying whyat they think what buddha thought, saying all this stuff about buddha when in fact we never met the guy, that's what I meant by the less is better.  focus on his teachings, not his emotions.

BTW jellric and postronius thanks for coming in and saving this thread :smile: 5 shrooms for both of you

:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

"contribute to gaia(spirit of the earth)= fantasy"

I'm not disagreeing with you, but you cannot say what is and what isn't.  by the simple fact that non of us are 100% sure of what's REALLY going on. how outlandish it may seem to you, there's always a chance :smile:

"How can you claim to know what is FICTION, when you haven't experienced for yourself what is REALITY?"

how do you all of a sudden know this person's experiences.  calm down, take a deep breath, and then post.  fictions reality are just words, concepts even.  they wouldn't be here if they both didn't exist no?

"Ahhh, now I see why you didn't understand buddha's teaching. You have a doubtful mind.

It all becomes clear. A teaching can't work with an unopen mind, or a stubborn mind. Just like a sponge that is already full of water, it can't soak in new water."

open mind yes, but that has got to be one of the more closeminded arguments I've read.  how do you know a doubful mind is bad? how do you know postronius has a doubtful mind? or maybe he/she does, who knows, he postronious knows.  I'll be willing to bet it's a little of both :smile: clear your head a little, meditate even, and then come back.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: kaiowas]
    #2145933 - 11/30/03 03:48 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Proof to me that humans do not reincarnate. Until you can proof that with logical, undoubtable evidence that MAKES SENSE

haha you talk about logic and then you ask him to prove that humans DON'T reincarnate, which doesn't work. Logically, you can't prove a negative. Nice try.

and to anyone who has paid attention to how things truly work, you will notice karma is some form or another. I say this with Truth, because of experience - and I'm sure many will agree.

What is this nonsensical drivel? How things truly work? Let me guess.. if I disagree with you then I don't pay attention to how things truly work. Oh, and you say it with truth because of experience. Of course, you don't want me to interpret your experience any other way than you already have so you don't explain what experience it was that you had.. Nice, keep yourself in a position of spiritual superiority. Next you say "and I'm sure many will agree." What's that? Appeal to the masses? So because others will agree with you you're right? That's also not logical.

Don't talk about logical and then put forth nonsensical arguments. If you have a point to get across, I suggest you take a step back from where you've gone and start producing some solid argument instead of this "You haven't experinced as profound stuff as me so you're wrong, and you're a non-believer therefore you're wrong."

Good luck on your path

Nice duck.. but the arguments against your points are like heat-seeking missiles and they'll keep turning around and coming back at you until you prove that your ideas are actually well thought-out.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2146058 - 11/30/03 05:35 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I argue against pure logical involvement with life because it's superficial. Sure thought can lead to exploitation of the material world, as in atomics, and medicine, and even good can come from it, and yet, thought alone cannot penetrate into the minutae of the personality. I have a basic problem with psychotherapy, and Western philosophy for this reason. Utilizing thought alone to try to figure out life is at best an equation, and at worst a sword fight between two matched nemesis.

The reason I push meditation is that we only have the now for intense self descovery. In the now at best is experience or distraction.

But moreover, I am a vajrayanist. That means that I do the tantric practices of the Tibetans. So these things are more like shamanism and cannot be explained through ratiocination. They must be experienced. I was attracted to the Vajrayana because I found that its practitioners had a large percentage of mystical experiences (as did I). Who can say what the realizations of those who spend countless hours in direct self discovery can find? Really only those who do it.

It's not a fallacious argument at all that direct experience is the best standard of proof.

But also, Buddha didn't make up the notions of reincarnation or karma. They existed long before him, for the Hindus, the Jains, and many other religions. Buddha did create the buddha dharma or the idea of renunciation of relative life through discerning the 4 truths, notions of egolessness, dependant origination, and 8-fold path. And these are all either self evident concepts or concepts which can be easily construed. the buddha dharma is still compelling a few thousand years after the historical Buddha because of their simplicity.

The vajrayana however is a very pithy mystery filled school which is like a virgin which doesn't open up to strangers. It needs care and attention and alot of coaxing, and some would say a past life connection.

Sure, you can exist without beliefs. You can also not make a commitment to anything. But as most bachelors can tell you, a never ending stream of sex partners doesn't equate with depth or complete satisfaction in a relationship, and so also purely discursive thinking is just like doing math. It's only satisfying for those who delight in pure abstraction. And for the rest, as proven above, it just basically leads to cynicism.

A person can say that religions are all false and merely faith based, and yet does that make the results of religious conviction any less real? If someone gives presents in the spirit of Santa Claus then the spirit of Santa, at least, is real. And who's to say that Father Christmas isn't really there somewhere within pulling some strings.

--------------------
...or something

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: The Truth about the Buddha.. [Re: eve69]
    #2146067 - 11/30/03 05:43 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

There is nothing wrong with religion, unless it robs you of the ability to think, which it does quite often. I find many aspects of religion to be amiable, faith being one of them.

but religious explanations of reality are NOT "REAL". Does this mean anything in a life where an individual can never truly percieve if an objective reality exists? nope.

were all building our own worlds to live in, but dont think yours is any more concrete than mine just because yours has a long history and plenty of subscribers. (not that you think that)

"as most bachelors can tell you, a never ending stream of sex partners doesn't equate with depth or complete satisfaction in a relationship"

and as many husbands will tell you, a lifetime of marriage often results in depressing monotany that robs one's self of adventure and passion, ultimately ending in bitter old age.

--------------------

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2148570 - 12/01/03 04:06 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Oh Boy...You're Good

5 shroomies for youmies

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom