Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Kremlin]
    #2084957 - 11/08/03 07:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Couldn't he use a bike without having attachment to it?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: chunder]
    #2085094 - 11/08/03 08:03 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

would he change the oil in his car?

would he brush his teeth?

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2085177 - 11/08/03 08:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Couldn't he use a bike without having attachment to it?

no he coudlnt, because if we was locking it that would define attachment, not wanting to lose it.

Being a buddhist monk requires no possessions or attachments in this world, otherwise, in the chain of causation, you are continuing ignorance and attachment.

They moved from town to town on foot, never making any friends or staying anywhere too long, so that they wouldnt become attached.

so, if he locked his bike..that means he didnt want it stolen = attachment. If he just had a bike, that would mean that he would probably rather ride than walk, which would also create it.

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #2085490 - 11/08/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

buddha is a schizo

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Dogomush]
    #2085608 - 11/08/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

There is no buddha and what is this talk about a bike?
blah
Such is the nature of things
(shrugs, and walks off into the darkness)

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #2085814 - 11/09/03 01:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I disagree. A Buddha can ride a bicycle. One can live and Do in the world without having to be selfishly attached to it.

Buddha wore robes, which are things made by man. Buddha used a bowl, made by man. Whats makes a bicycle any different? Its just a thing after all.

--------------------

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: chunder]
    #2085900 - 11/09/03 03:03 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

the robes and the bowl were the contradictory statements by the buddha, that is something that puzzles many buddhist scholars.

He specifically states in the lotus sutra to remove all items and posessions (desire, emotion, material objects) since in the chain of causation, that creates karma.

But then again, the buddha also is against women, but if there is no true self, and if the teachings are true, then what is the problem with women?

All of those thinkers had many contradictory statements that didnt fall into line with their normative order idea of the cosmos.

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2085924 - 11/09/03 03:35 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I had a book called zen bones.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #2085942 - 11/09/03 03:50 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Whether he locked his bike or not is irrelevant. Even if he rode a bike I do not think he would have referred to it as 'his' bike, and since it is not 'his' bike why would he lock it? and then, of course, this sticky problem would soon be solved -- it would be taken. Not stolen, of course; How can you steal something that is not possessed?
actually isn't that how most bikes in big cities are used.. you just find one, and leave it when you're done for someone else to find? And is that really stealing? Or is it only stealing if the original owner is still interested in finding lost property?

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2086028 - 11/09/03 04:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Kremlin said:
They moved from town to town on foot, never making any friends or staying anywhere too long, so that they wouldnt become attached.

I'm sorry, but that seems like a spiritually weak thing to do, hide from the world and its experience. It is just as possible to experience what the world has to offer without getting attached as it is to cut yourself off from everything and of course not get attached. No, my mistake, it is a LOT fucking easier to just hide from the world.

A person could be the President of the United States and also be completely relaxed and not attached to anything. What it is that you do isn't what defines whether or not you are attached or not, it is the thoughts in your mind that either attach you to doing something or enable you to not get attached.

I know people that will end up spending all their money week after week on cocaine. Myself, I only do it once every couple of months. When I feel like doing it. Now, is it doing cocaine that makes you addicted to doing it, or is it your mind and your thoughts that attach you to doing cocaine??

Quote:

so, if he locked his bike..that means he didnt want it stolen = attachment. If he just had a bike, that would mean that he would probably rather ride than walk, which would also create it.

I seriously don't think that being a Bhuddist equates into offering free shit to lucky criminals. In no way. Most people think not developing attachments equates into not having material possessions. Bullshit. It is about preferences and attachments. Would you prefer that your bike doesn't get stolen? You see, if I lay down $100 for a bike, I would prefer to keep it. If you want to keep the bike, you slap a lock on it.

What holding preferences mean is that if the preference is not fufilled, it doesn't cause any sort of negative feeling. As it isn't an attachment, you don't suffer because it isn't fufilled. I mean, I would prefer that someone stops by and gives me a million dollars for fucking nothing, but as it is just a preference, I don't start pacing back and forth and ranting because no one has stopped by with the money.

Preferences = k3y. Not develeoping attachments to material possesions is NOT the same as not having material possessions.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

Loc: WA State, USA
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2086444 - 11/09/03 11:55 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I do not know if Bhudda would lock his bike up, but I do know he'd need a damn sturdy banana seat or something like that.

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
I turn my back to the east,
From whence comforts have increas'd;
For light doth seize my brain
With frantic pain.

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Nirvhead]
    #2087262 - 11/09/03 07:44 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The purpose of locks is to keep honest people out. :wink:

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order