Home | Community | Message Board

Myco.ca - Spores & Cultivation Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6505164 - 01/28/07 04:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I never thought you were saying that. But others could have misconstrued your words. Easily done on message boards. :wink:

And i agree with what you say. As a wise master once said:

"No meditation, No realization"

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisiblebadreligion2good
Uncertain
Male

Re: I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin [Re: Sinbad]
    #6505167 - 01/28/07 04:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Sinbad, you one bad ass sinner yo! I understand why you made the footnote, I can see now where people may have misunderstood. Thanks for adding that to the thread. It is important that people realize the Buddhism isn't anti-pleasure.

--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin [Re: dblaney]
    #6505173 - 01/28/07 04:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

dblaney said:
Quote:

I want to understand what liberation means to you.

To me, liberation is what we are. Fundamentally, everything is liberated/awakened/enlightened. However, because of my confusion, delusion, and misunderstandings, I don't realize this. I 'understand' this to be so on a superficial level, but not down to my bones. It's like the difference between stating the name of food, and actually eating, processing, and assimilating the food.

Quote:

What, then, will happen if I decide to blow up a building full of little children?

Then the building will be destroyed, little children will be dead, and many people will be very upset.

Quote:

The fact that I have no uniqueness other than my subjective experience does not mean that I'm literally nothing! So what should I do???? To what end do "I" cultivate compassion and awareness if I do not exist, if there is no coming or going?

Perspective is key here. From the perspective of Absolute Truth (which is not other than relative or conventional truth), there is no you, no me, no chocolate ice cream, no coming, no going, no compassion, no awareness, no something, and no nothing. From the perspective of relative or conventional, everyday truth (which is not other than Absolute Truth), there is you, there is me, there is chocolate ice cream, there is coming there is going, there is joy, and there is pain.

Absolute Truth and relative truth are not different. A wonderful analogy is with the ocean. The water, in this case, is Absolute Truth, and the waves are the relative truth. Outside of the water, there can be no waves, and outside of the waves, there is no water. Waves are simply the function of the water.

HOWEVER, when waves do not realize that they are in fact part of one body of water, then there is an infinite schism between that wave and every other wave on the ocean.

While really there is nothing separating the wave from the water, the idea that the wave is separate in some way IS what is separating the wave from experiencing its oneness with the water.

Yet so long as the wave maintains its notion of being separate from the water, it strives to do anything and everything to maintain and serve this idea of a 'self', of a 'separated individuality'. It seeks after pleasure and avoids pain.

Yet when it realizes its oneness, there is no more pain and no more pleasure, as such, because pleasure and pain are relative. Something is only painful in relation to something that is not. Something is only pleasant in relation to something that is not. When the wave realizes its intrinsic oneness with the water, that it has always been the water, and that there is nothing outside of the water, then liberation is realized. And with it, true joy that is not dependent on the conditions of the ever changing sea.

Quote:

It seems to me that if "I" am void yet "I" am experiencing myself, then cultivating anything is self-serving.

I'm not sure what you mean by "'I' am experiencing myself". In fact, this is another form of separation: the view that there is an experiencer that is separate from the object of experience. Subject and object are just notions imposed on experience. Same with the notions of a subjective and objective world. Perhaps you could say that we ARE the objective world, experiencing ourselves.

Cultivation is not, IMO, what one should strive to do. Cultivating compassion and awareness is like trying to make paint white paint on a wall that is already white. When a wave understands that it is not separate from the ocean, yet observes that so many of the other waves on the ocean still think they are separate, compassion seems to arise naturally, of itself, without any effort on the part of the wave. Likewise, awareness is already here. There is no need to cultivate it. But it is helpful to train it to function properly, so that it doesn't chase after ideas and sensations. Letting it run all over the place has never proved to be conducive to realizing that we are the ocean.

Quote:

why not serve myself a bowl of chocolate ice-cream and a plane ticket to the Caribbean?

So long as it is the ocean that eats the ice cream and goes to the Caribbean, it is alright. But if it is the wave that eats the ice cream and goes to the Caribbean, then there is confusion. The wave still thinks of itself as separate.

Since the ocean does not harbor such ideas as 'self' and 'other', there would be no reason for it to seek pleasure in the form of ice cream or tropical vacations. However, if the circumstances were such that doing either of those would be compassionate and beneficial, then I'm sure the ocean would do either of those in a flash.

It's tricky though, because so long as you think that you're acting selflessly, you are in fact acting selfishly. Only when you don't act at all is there true selfless, compassionate action. That's why the sutras say that sages act without acting and speak without speaking.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin [Re: dblaney]
    #6509050 - 01/29/07 07:03 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

You see, the essential problem is that bug may have been reading or inquiring into Krishnamutri's stuff, in which he states that we are all robots, that meditation doesn't work, and blah blah blah etc.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin [Re: Sinbad]
    #6509584 - 01/29/07 09:03 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sinbad said:
You see, the essential problem is that bug may have been reading or inquiring into Krishnamutri's stuff, in which he states that we are all robots, that meditation doesn't work, and blah blah blah etc. 

no, I haven't been, I've just been using poor metaphors.  self-realization is tough because I look back at what I wrote the day before and wonder what the hell 'I' was thinking when 'I' wrote it

:grin:

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibleModestMouse
IM WALKIN ON SUNSHINE
 User Gallery

Loc: Upstate
Re: I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin [Re: Lion]
    #19744861 - 03/25/14 01:18 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

bumping for the beauty.

Amazing read.

--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

OfflineJaegar
Formless One
 User Gallery

#19744891 - 03/25/14 01:25 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Wrong. Mass killer can feel compassion and remorse. Heroic attempts to make life more meaningful or durable are interesting control ideas.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin [Re: ModestMouse]
    #19744921 - 03/25/14 01:37 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ModestMouse said:
bumping for the beauty.

Amazing read.

I appreciate that you enjoyed reading this. :lol: It really feels like a lifetime ago that I made this thread.  I remember where I was when I wrote it, but I can barely remember the mindset I was in.  I had just had a life-shattering trip that I struggled to integrate for months, years even, and I felt like I had come upon the real path of liberation (either that, or I was in some kind of purgatory).  In retrospect, reading all of the things I wrote during that specific period, I see attempts to explain what I had gone through to myself and to others, and to cut through the confusion that had overwhelmed my daily life.  I'm not necessarily any less delusional now, but at the time I was a special kind of delusional, thinking of myself as some spiritually powerful being with a special destiny, and at other times becoming completely paranoid and solipsistic.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

OfflineJaegar
Formless One
 User Gallery

#19744982 - 03/25/14 01:52 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Reality is uncompromising and fatal to our desires. Becker would say people who realize our ultimate futile existence and demise as blah blah some true heroes.

LoN
g live our illusions.

OfflineTropism
ChasingTail

Re: I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin [Re: Lion] * 1
    #19746547 - 03/25/14 08:31 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Lion said:
You are a robot.

Human's made robots, robots are birthed of human thought process, they're more like us than we are like them.
Kind of like a little girl crocheting a doll of herself, that's how we made them.
Anyway, what you said was groovy, I just think in your analogy we're still people not robots.
We don't have to be robots for all that depressing gunk to be true.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin [Re: Tropism] * 2
    #19746819 - 03/25/14 09:15 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Tropism is quite right.  I think it's a mistake to compare humans to "robots" when such devices were invented by humans in the first place.  One hears so much of the notion that humans (in body and mind) are "mere machines," when in fact every machine ever made by man is a basic extension of human consciousness, and thus shouldn't be trivialized in such a way.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order