Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1965424 -

> Not being attached to material possessions ...[snip]... no reason you can't own or even protect your material possessions

You are either attached to possessions or you are not, you can't have it both ways. A parent and child are the best example I can think of. A child may belong with a parent, but that parent does not own the child.

This reminds me of something that happened during "class" with a monk and a bunch of students one time. We were all sitting around listening to the monk talk when he held up the glass he had been drinking water of out and asked who's glass it was.

One of the students recognized the glass, and claimed that it belonged to Brother Larry. The monk then pointed out the Buddha teachings of possession. Pretty soon everybody agreed that the glass did not belong to anybody.

With a twinkle in his eye, the monk then said "If the glass belongs to nobody, then I shall toss it to the ground and break it." I got up without a word, took the glass, and walked to the kitchen to get a drink of water.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Seuss]
    #1965457 -

Glass holds water pretty well.
Mmm water.

I think that buddha would not have a bike, he would walk.
And if for some reason he did have a bike, he would not chain it.
Unless he lived in the city :wink:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: chunder]
    #1965615 -

Quote:
chunder said:
Would The Buddha chain his bike up?




No. But he would tie his camel, especially if he lived in the city.  :wink: :thumbup:

 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Seuss]
    #1965696 -

Seuss said:
You are either attached to possessions or you are not, you can't have it both ways. A parent and child are the best example I can think of. A child may belong with a parent, but that parent does not own the child.




There is a difference between being attached to possessions and recoginzing the fact that no one owns a material possession.

I agree. You are either attached to the possession or you aren't. Why the hell shouldn't we be able to then have possessions and even protect them from theft? There is a difference between not being emotionally attached to any object and "owning" an object.

Are you addicted (attached) to marijuana, mushrooms? Can you still do them, even if you are not addicted? I am not addicted to watching television, or my computer, or to having a pocket full of money, but that doesn't mean I still can't watch television, use my computer, or have money.
Peace.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1965746 -

Addiction to a substance and attachment to an object are two very different beasts.  :smile:

You own a television.  If I walk into your house and take your television.  If you get upset that I am stealing something of yours, then you are attached to that object.  I am speaking from a Buddhist viewpoint, which is perhaps were the confusion is coming from.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Seuss]
    #1965822 -

Seuss said:
Addiction to a substance and attachment to an object are two very different beasts.  :smile:



As long as it isn't some sort of physical addiction (can't think of one out there, however, except perhaps energy that keeps us alive), it is the exact same thing, although an addiction to a drug is usually more intense..

Quote:
You own a television.  If I walk into your house and take your television.  If you get upset that I am stealing something of yours, then you are attached to that object.  I am speaking from a Buddhist viewpoint, which is perhaps were the confusion is coming from. 



If I got upset that something was happening that didn't fit my preferences (in this case, continuing to have my television set), then it is an addiction. Not having any emotional attachment to an object does not mean that you can't continue to have said object or even do anything to stop someone from stealing it if it is possible.

If it isn't possible, let's say you walk home, your television set is gone, and the cops are lazy bastards harassing people about marijuana than actually fighting real crime, than the loss of your television set won't cause any sort of negative emotions (unless you are addicted!).

It is a Buddhist belief, but it is also a belief that I hold. I by no means have transcended attachment as of yet, but it is something that is constantly worked towards..
Peace.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: chunder]
    #1966036 -

whos buddha? whats a bike? whats lock? somewhat cheesy..yes i know..but it had to be done...


--------------------
one has lived from an endless past and will live into an endless future. at this very moment one partakes of Eternal Life-blissful, luminous, pure.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: purenergy]
    #1967049 -

The way I see it is this. For the Buddha not to chain his bike in a place where it is likely to get stolen, is the same thing as the buddha not practicing his meditations during a time of stress and chaos.

Its common sense, it hurts nothing, and it protects what is yours, whether that be your bike, your calmness, your well-being, etc.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: chunder]
    #1967085 -

The Buddha would not lock his bike as he owns a Chopper :lol:
n it's protect by Cosmic Forces...heavily armed, might I add :grin:
n if u messed up his favorite leather jacket with the
Yin/Yan symbol on the back...he would kick your ass ! :lol:
sorry couldn't resist :tongue:


--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: chunder]
    #1967120 -

There were no bikes in his time.

It's been settled. :wink: 


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Zahid]
    #1967130 -

Zahid said:
There were no bikes in his time.

It's been settled. :wink: 



I have it on good (almost sober) authority that
he owned a Harley...
he managed to finagle one from his future reincarnations... :grin:


--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Zahid]
    #1967473 -

lol, lucid!

Surely there was some kind of early bicycle back then? Maybe they just weren't any good so no one bothered locking them up anyway.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: chunder]
    #1968050 -

Buddha would do whatever he had to do

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2084482 -

This is funny because I know a guy who doesn't lock his bike up. He got it stolen. Before that happened, he borrowed someone else's bike and it got stolen. Nowadays I understand he doesn't lock his bike up still. And you know what? It's also not his bike! He's borrowing it. Funny stuff. So the real question is:

If Buddha borrowed someone else's bike who isn't a buddhist and is attached to his material possessions, then would Buddha lock that bike up?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2084681 -

well Buddha had better lock up my bike if he's going to borrow it. Or just be prepared to repay the loss with something of equal value. Though this value does not necessarily need to be a new bike, for circumstances will determine that. Had I felt Buddhas teachings and example were a very valuable thing in my life, I might consider him having my bike stolen a fair trade for what he'd already given.

Anyway, I don't think people should not chain up bikes, or try to protect the things that they currently have possession of just because you should not be attached to material things. I gaurantee that if someone stole your clothes, your money, your shelter that you would be upset. Theres not a Buddhist on this site that can truthfully claim they feel otherwise. I do agree that possessions should however not become overly important.


--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2084707 -

I think your sig illustrates what will be the hardest thing for you to give up your attachment to!


--------------------
Always Smi2le

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: GazzBut]
    #2084723 -

GazzBut said:
I think your sig illustrates what will be the hardest thing for you to give up your attachment to!



You mean the signature itself or the bass guitars?

It is true.. I am attached to my bass guitars. One of the hardest things for me to live without. I am attached to them. I don't know if it is something that I ever want to give up.

I don't suffer if I don't have one, but if I go two months without having one, I start to suffer...
Peace.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2084880 -

I would so very much love to see the Buddha riding down my street on a bike!  :lol: Would Buddha have a squeezy horn on his bike? And if so, would he honk as he rode by? 


--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2084946 -

he wouldnt have a bike because that it is a material possession that he would have attatchment to, which is against his soteriological path to escape Samsara.

--Kremlin


--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Would Buddha lock his bike? [Re: Kremlin]
    #2084957 -

Couldn't he use a bike without having attachment to it?


--------------------


"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Would buddha lock his bike?
( 1 2 3 all )
Lightningfractal 2,631 44 08/28/04 08:20 PM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* The Buddha was a Fraud
( 1 2 3 all )
Ravus 3,258 43 05/11/05 12:04 AM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* Buddha (Lasting Bliss) <-----------O------------> Craving (Lasting Misery)
( 1 2 3 all )
egghead1 7,395 44 04/19/05 03:22 AM
by egghead1
* Karma = objective morality
( 1 2 all )
deafpanda 4,554 30 01/12/05 12:46 AM
by fresh313
* Objective Quality....an inquiry into values...... PsyllyMe 1,043 13 08/19/04 10:58 AM
by BlueCoyote
* An Aristotelian Foundation for Objectivity SkorpivoMusterion 1,521 8 04/22/06 05:40 AM
by fresh313
* I, Robot, am the Buddha in a teenager's skin
( 1 2 3 all )
Lion 5,428 50 03/25/14 07:15 PM
by DividedQuantum
* Does enlightenment exist?
( 1 2 3 all )
dblaney 3,817 47 08/07/05 11:48 AM
by Quoiyaien

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,072 topic views. 0 members, 22 guests and 5 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.