Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblecubed
Stranger

Re: The Buddha was a Fraud [Re: Rose]
    #4156903 - 05/10/05 12:00 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Yes I think the Buddha is top notch.

I think there is a certain amount of relativity that must be applied tho - and even the Buddha does that.

For instance if one were to take the 'overcome desire and suffering will end' line to its logical extreme one would starve oneself as one gave up the desire for food. The Buddha never suggested to go this far though - he really suggested a marshalling of desire and a kind of ratings system. To find the middle way using the eightfold path.

In order to exist in life one must forge out the future, even if one is following the 'right livelihood' - success in that livelihood is what one will aim for and success takes desire.

....but the eightfold path never mentions 'right desire'.....however even those building the monastries and heading for  nirvana hold desire to reach those goals.

It is the desire that leads from the path that causes the problems - unmarshalled desire. Sensual desire and it's opposite, aversion, running amok and ruling us. Our mindfulness failing and then we being left no longer able to make a decision based in soul but instead the decision comes from ego.

However I'm not too comfortable with that definition of ego...since those with an evolved ego will work in tandm with their souls...ego is not bad it is necessary. Ego and Soul can be the best of friends and this is surely the way to proceed. All the 'death to the ego!' stuff is very silly and actually undermines your birth. The way I see it partnership is the way forward, and those wioth an evolved ego hold a point of view that looks to the longer term, their egos do not run amok at the first sign of temptation....their egos work semlessly with soul, enjoying the pleasures thrown to them, even enjoying the suffering because Soul shines through and always working as an agent of Soul to bring Love to Earth.

The ego must be looked after to a certain degree, even the Buddha does so in life, for the ultimate form of ego is the person we are, the body and mind we inhabit, and until this is gone (ie death) there is always ego. There is always I.

Some people spend their lives beating themselves up trying to destroy their psychological ego, often setting up a psychological super ego in themselves that punsihes the ego and oversees. This seem crazy - and the suffering is doubled through unacceptance of the basic fact that as a human one is an individual lifeform amongst the whole.

Ally the ego to the Soul and let them make friends. This way the Soul looks after the ego, but the ego is not spoiled....and the ego learns to move on and exist in a world of impermanence - - seeing through the duality - - seeing through the game we play - - but equally knowing its role in the game.

Just think of playing a board game like Monopoly (or any game) - notice how some people play and accept the wins and losses - taking the ride. Whilst others cannot handle the losses.....fuming away until they start loosing their temper.....bad sports = overactive ego

good sport = well managed ego

.....you also notice that good sports will quite naturally be good sports because they are keyed in with Soul and automatically listen to the depths of their being in which they are the Whole.

Now it seems to me that even those whose egos are out of control are perfectly fine because they make up such important characters in the story of being which we are all wrapped up in. Humanity and Life itself is discovering itself and those people are an important part of the equation - we all learn from this crazy experience in which there is always a balance. Good and Bad meet in us all and in the world at large - they are always there - and hence the balance is always there and perfect - If the balance of all energies was not there the universe would somehow crumble awy in an instant.

Seeing the balance, yet being one tiny bit of energy following a certain course within it.....knowing there is necessary negativity out there balance your necessary positivity and vice versa. And even in oneself one will see this effect since one is a reflection of the whole.

Everything is kool and all the bad in the world is kool - but that doesn't mean you should be bad. It just means you know....

Peace

Babble babble babble :laugh:

--------------------
booohooohoooohoooo

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: The Buddha was a Fraud [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4157665 - 05/10/05 03:20 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

This whole thread=The section in Birth of Tragedy where Nietzche pans Buddhis. It's no surprise Ravus is qouting him so much.

That's kind of odd, because I never read the Birth of Tragedy to my knowledge. All quotes I've used are isolated Nietzsche quotes copied from the ethernet, but I use them because Nietzsche phrases my mindset beautifully.

I don't like Nietzsche because I follow him, as I disagree with him on many points, noticeably that the Overman will overcome Nihilism. I like Nietzsche because he an innovative philosopher and beautiful writer who came to many of the same basic observations as I do.

And if you've read Nietzsche, you'll notice I either contradict him or digress completely from his beliefs many times. He was a good thinker, but he was no Buddha. :wink:

Quote:

Samsarric happiness is kind of like being a Heroin junky, it never lasts, you constantly need more, and you feel like shit if you don't get what you want.

Why does Samsaric happiness end?

1) Chaos and death destroy the objects of our Samsaric desire.
2) Time and change ruin our pleasure for simple beliefs and objects.

We can either say that chaos and change destroy the objects of our desire, or destroy the way we desire, but either way it is our frustration at destruction that makes us unhappy. If we stopped focusing on being attached to useless objects and people that will die in our lifetime, and focus on that which will never leave us before we die, how could we ever loose our peace? If we find peace and love inside the chaos and death that destroys these simple, impermanent materialistic and emotional objects, then we will never find suffering- even in suffering itself.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Edited by Ravus (05/10/05 03:39 PM)

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: The Buddha was a Fraud [Re: the_phoenix]
    #4157672 - 05/10/05 03:21 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I would die for him.. :smile:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: The Buddha was a Fraud [Re: Ravus]
    #4160277 - 05/11/05 02:04 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Quote:

Why does Samsaric happiness end?

1) Chaos and death destroy the objects of our Samsaric desire.
2) Time and change ruin our pleasure for simple beliefs and objects.

We can either say that chaos and change destroy the objects of our desire, or destroy the way we desire, but either way it is our frustration at destruction that makes us unhappy. If we stopped focusing on being attached to useless objects and people that will die in our lifetime, and focus on that which will never leave us before we die, how could we ever loose our peace? If we find peace and love inside the chaos and death that destroys these simple, impermanent materialistic and emotional objects, then we will never find suffering- even in suffering itself.

Thats budism detachment from the chaos, from the destruction, from the materialistic stylised bull shit. Let it burn let it rot let it blow away. Seperation from these things bring freedome.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology