Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
I'm Beginning To See A Problem: Preachers
    #1890445 - 09/07/03 07:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: I'm Beginning To See A Problem: Preachers [Re: World Spirit]
    #1890653 - 09/07/03 12:24 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

OR...you could make a spiritual retreat, which is what a camp trip always was to me. A small taste of the austere life that hermits, anchorites, and monks made of their entire lives. Why do you have to hear Scriptural words from the Bible come to your ears through someone else's mouth, i.e., from preaching? Each preacher is gonna have his own spin on the verse, and his own combination of verses in order to paint his own version of what it's all about.

Originally, with the discovery of radio, preachers wanted to keep the Gospel off the air waves because of Lucifer being the spirit of the air, in one context. Now, each and every TV evangelist (some are less megalomaniacal than others) wants YOU to send money for THEIR 'crystal cathedral,' or to keep THEIR ministry on the air, or to keep THEIR wive's in more cosmetics than a NYC streetwalker, or to support THEIR hidden homosexual lifestyle. It goes from bad to worse with regard to media preachers.

Like the movie 'Stigmata,' (which was exaggerated in its import, since not many people can pursue spirituality without a leader), I pursue solitary worship after the manner described in the Gnostic Gospel of Thomas, about which the movie was made. No need for a clerical hierarchy with its corruptions and perversions. I am an Introverted Thinking type, and so public worship, emotionality, singing hymns, etc., has never appealed to me or been joyful. Unfortunately, a majority of Americans, being Extroverted Feeling types, believe that theses behaviors ARE Christianity. These 'Christian' Americans (not, you will note, American Christians), promote little more than a 'social gospel,' which is lacking in metaphysical life. It is a matter of being nice to everyone because Jesus said so - NOT a matter of becoming transformed into a Compassionate being following an ego-shrinking, mind-expanding-then-melting-into-the-Heart-Experience. It is to these 'Hylic' or 'Sarchic' [fleshy] 'Christians' that preachers appeal. This may seem harsh, but as I look around, I see definate 'degrees' of Christians, just like the Gnostics psychologized: the Sarkic, the Psychic and the Pneumatic (or, physical, mental and spiritual). Preachers - especially power-mad televangelists, speak to the physical-types primarily, and the healer-types to the psychic-type Christians.

Entheogen users who are Christian, or partial to Christianity, are gonna resonate with the really high guys of Christendom, like the monks on Mount Athos, Greece who teach the most profound psychospiritual, yoga-like contemplative practices in all of Christendom. Yes, they acquire enhanced psychic [paranormal] abilities, but like any real aspirant for Truth, these are not indulged in, but surpassed for the highest Knowledge which leads to Experience of God - the Uncreated Energy or the Taboric Light (after the Biblical experience on Mt. Tabor), and the resulting Hesychia [Divine Tranquility].

"Seek and ye shall find..." As to preachers - go preach to yourself.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #1890698 - 09/07/03 12:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They also do not like to talk with their congregation about spiritual experiences which seems strange on the surface since they are presumably in the spirituality business. They want to keep your sole experience in their book and their interpretation of it. Like any other business, they cannot afford being cut out as the middle man. So ironically, they are one of the major forces against what they advertise themselves as being for. And that's why I stopped going years ago.

To me religion and its preachers are like a ladder. Once you reach the limits of where it can take you, you can discard it.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I'm Beginning To See A Problem: Preachers [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1891603 - 09/07/03 08:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinefalcon
In the green

#1891909 - 09/07/03 09:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

(Leaven represents falsehoods and sin in the midst of truth). "A little leaven will leaven the whole lump." - Jesus

Good one, i always thought the leavening was a desired trait added to group of people by the example of other people, it works both ways.

--------------------
Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I have done it before and it never has an effect on the true believer so what is the point?

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#1892106 - 09/07/03 10:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Read 'The Way of a Pilgrim,' (anonymous author) edited by R.M. French for an introduction. It is a journal by an anonymous Russian seeker in the late 19th century who learns how to 'Pray without ceasing' (as Paul wrote in Thessalonians) from Russian Orthodox Startzii (Holy men). He takes bread, salt, a Bible, and a copy of selected writings from a large body of works called 'The Philokalia' [Love of Beauty/Truth]. The Philokalia teaches techniques for doing The Prayer of the Heart - thousands of times each day - starting with vocal recitation, then mental recitation, then it moves from the Head to the Heart, becoming identified with breath and heartbeat, and operates independently from the brain in the Sacred Heart, even in sleep. It is not the increase in paranormal (psychic) abilities that is important - it is the spiritual development of the Transpersonal Center that is crucial. IF you like The Way of a Pilgrim, I suggest that you then acquire 'Writings From the Philokalia on Prayer of the Heart' by Kadloubovsky & Palmer.

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1893138 - 09/08/03 06:22 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#1893418 - 09/08/03 10:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Mt. Athos flies its own flag, independently of Greece. A woman has not stepped foot on the rugged island for 1000 years. Hermits climb rope ladders to live in cliff-face caves. I can show you some National Geographic photos, but the non-English speaking monks who receive visitors by boat, do not run a vacation resort for the idle or merely curious :smile: 

--------------------

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1893511 - 09/08/03 11:28 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology