Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: birdland]
    #16848681 -

thinking about the way Leary would act sorta reminds me of myself, albeit rarely.  the whole using yourself to experiment with situations.  sometimes i dream of a career like that lol.

i'm also stoned for the first time today.  after getting high i wondered how i made this thread, not high.

:shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: extreme]
    #16852425 -

What I didn't like about either of them is encouraging high doses of the drugs. I think some psychedelic-related homocides/suicides/other bullshit could have been prevented if they told a more cautionary tale.

I still like McKenna as an entertainer though. Even though its bullshit, its nice to listen to.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Vore]
    #16852447 -

There has to be casualties in any huge movement. And they never made anyone take anything.  I don't blame them for my scary trips.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16852452 -

ClosedEyeCigarette said:
Yeah, that's my point in a sense.  McKenna is just a spokesman whereas Leary has much more to offer than "Psychedelics hit the spot, 500 micrograms thats a lot".  The only reason I compare them is because they are both spokesmen.  I'd rather learn about R. Gordon Wasson or Al Hubbard than McKenna.  As a popular psychedelic spokesman, I think Leary is superior to McKenna.  The first psychedelic spokesman and popularizer was Al Hubbard anyway.  "The Johnny Appleseed of LSD"




seems like you just like lsd more than mushrooms, thus explaining your position on mckenna and leary...


--------------------
Something there is mysteriously formed,
Existing before Heaven and Earth,
Silent, still, standing alone, unchanging,
All-pervading, unfailing,
I do not know its name; I call it tao.
If forced to give it a name, I call it
Great (ta). Being great, it flows out;
Flowing out means far-reaching;
Being far-reaching, it is said to return.


It's just a shot away..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Bill_Oreilly]
    #16852478 -

    And they never made anyone take anything.


Sure, but they often misrepresented the potential dangers, so I think they are still culpable.

EDIT: adding a T McKenna that I like


Edited by Vore (09/15/12 04:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #16852677 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
ClosedEyeCigarette said:
"Think for yourself and question authority"



I question Leary's directive to question authority!



Dear Authority,

What came first? The chicken or the egg? And what's up with airplane food? Why does it suck so much?

Best regards,
Dustin


--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #16853640 -

So much nonsense in this thread... you have to be really careful before judging anyone who has the courage to expose themselves in ways that mckenna and others did... if their ideas don't fit your belief system fine, but don't try to put down one of the greatest spokesperson for the psychedelic experience of our era... it's easy to point out areas in which his materials aren't spot on, but I find a lot of ppl not giving the credit he really deserves. Of course, I'm talking about ppl who have really read his stuff and not just seen a 5min clip on youtub... I personally haven't found any other figure who could, in a short period of time, brilliantly translate in common language what the psychedelic experience might represent to humankind...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Bill_Oreilly]
    #16853948 -

TheMushroomJesus said:
ClosedEyeCigarette said:
Yeah, that's my point in a sense.  McKenna is just a spokesman whereas Leary has much more to offer than "Psychedelics hit the spot, 500 micrograms thats a lot".  The only reason I compare them is because they are both spokesmen.  I'd rather learn about R. Gordon Wasson or Al Hubbard than McKenna.  As a popular psychedelic spokesman, I think Leary is superior to McKenna.  The first psychedelic spokesman and popularizer was Al Hubbard anyway.  "The Johnny Appleseed of LSD"




seems like you just like lsd more than mushrooms, thus explaining your position on mckenna and leary...



Whether I like LSD more than shrooms has nothing to do with my favoring of Leary over McKenna.  Leary was the first popular and widely recognized psychedelic spokesman.  McKenna was a copycat with little to no original ideas or thoughts on the subject of psychedelia.  To me, McKenna has nothing going for him except his popularity.  He's well known because of his provocative statements and sensationalism.  Not because of his originality or his place in a counter-cultural revolution like Leary was in the 60s.


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16853968 -

    McKenna was a copycat with little to no original ideas or thoughts on the subject of psychedelia.


I don't know many other people talking about machine-elves or alien intelligences hidden in mushrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Vore]
    #16853985 -

The original ideas he had were hair brained nonsense.  He was a fringe theorist and amateur ethnopharmacologist as I stated in another post.  I didn't know something I observed in a trip could be an original idea either.  :rolleyes:


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Psicodelico]
    #16853991 -

Psicodelico said:
So much nonsense in this thread... you have to be really careful before judging anyone who has the courage to expose themselves in ways that mckenna and others did... if their ideas don't fit your belief system fine, but don't try to put down one of the greatest spokesperson for the psychedelic experience of our era... it's easy to point out areas in which his materials aren't spot on, but I find a lot of ppl not giving the credit he really deserves. Of course, I'm talking about ppl who have really read his stuff and not just seen a 5min clip on youtub... I personally haven't found any other figure who could, in a short period of time, brilliantly translate in common language what the psychedelic experience might represent to humankind...



When McKenna, in 'True Hallucinations', thought that a trip he had in La Chorrea would change humanity for all time, I found him hard to take seriously as other than writing long, albeit entertaining, trip reports.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16853993 -

Of course they were, but they were entertaining.

    I didn't know something I observed in a trip could be an original idea either.


Your thoughts are what produce a trip, you realize this right?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Vore]
    #16854002 -

If entertaining thoughts fuel are what makes a person credible, then that makes individuals such as Sarah Palin credible for being entertaining. :rolleyes:

So that means McKenna had preconceived notions of self-transforming machine elves before smoking DMT and produced an original self-transforming machine elves experience?! Get real.  And yes I know what the word psychedelic means, it means mind manifesting and was coined by Aldous Huxley and Humphrey Osmond in the 50s.


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16854023 -

    If entertaining thoughts fuel are what makes a person credible


I never said he was credible. Nice strawman :thumbup:

    So that means McKenna had preconceived notions of self-transforming machine elves before smoking DMT and produced an original self-transforming machine elves experience?! Get real


Another thing I never said. They came up during the trip due to brain interaction like.. um.. every thought you have. If the thoughts aren't his, whose are they?

    And yes I know what the word psychedelic means, it means mind manifesting and was coined by Aldous Huxley and Humphrey Osmond in the 50s.


But apparently someone else's mind. :lol:

Guys, thoughts you have while you trip don't belong to you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Vore]
    #16854034 -

Guys, thoughts you have while you trip don't belong to you.

What?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Vore]
    #16854039 -

Dude, I really don't give a shit if he's entertaining or not.  I'm comparing him to Leary because of TMJ's post.  I really do not care if McKenna is entertaining.  That's not why I listen to people talk about psychedelics.  If I wanted to listen to an entertaining person talk about psychedelics, I'd listen to Bill Hicks.  Terrence McKenna was a fraud, and was on the fringe of philosophy.

No one fully understands how psychedelics effect the mind or produce the experiences they do either, so keep on speculating with that shamanistic babble that you're spouting at me right now.  I choose Huxley's view that psychedelics turn off the reducing valve of the brain and let information slip in that otherwise goes unnoticed.  I do not for one second believe the tripe that Terrence spouts about psychedelics taking us to another dimension.


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16854067 -

Icelander said:
Guys, thoughts you have while you trip don't belong to you.

What?



I was caricaturing his view that a thought is not yours if it appeared while you tripped.

Guess my communication suffered. :sad:

    so keep on speculating with that shamanistic babble that you're spouting at me right now.


What shamanistic babble am I spouting at you?

Again, you're assuming I support any of his ideas. McKenna is junk food for me. Leary is just as bad, but not as entertaining.

    Dude, I really don't give a shit if he's entertaining or not.


    I do not for one second believe the tripe that Terrence spouts about psychedelics taking us to another dimension


Neither do I, I'm merely questioning your claim that Terence McKenna is unoriginal :cookiemonster:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16854070 -

ClosedEyeCigarette said:
Terrence McKenna was a fraud, and was on the fringe of philosophy.





Never realized there was and should be a median or clear cut path to walk to understand and create philosophy? if people didn't ask questions and present radical ideas that pushed and tested the boundaries of understanding, philosophy would be stagnant and never evolve, am I wrong?


--------------------
To be human is to be fettered, to endure what one is, in perpetuum, no matter what the debility or perversity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16854074 -

Icelander said:
Guys, thoughts you have while you trip don't belong to you.

What?



The Mushroom has the primary copyright. Ask your lawyer.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #16854082 -

It told me we're all One, so I can have it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Homage to Terence McKenna Ped 1,649 12 12/21/12 11:14 AM
by Vaipen
* Terence McKenna: another egomaniac
( 1 2 3 all )
question_for_joo 6,456 45 08/21/05 02:01 AM
by Luke
* Terence McKenna, crank or profit?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 9,041 92 02/27/09 11:00 AM
by Hubbub
* Terence McKenna's beliefs about time-telescoping
( 1 2 3 all )
question_for_joo 6,052 44 07/25/05 03:46 AM
by alsey
* Terence Mckenna's Novelty: What would he say today? Noviseer 2,879 14 02/12/04 01:23 PM
by Strumpling
* Translating Terence McKenna Chowder 1,586 12 05/21/10 07:59 AM
by Chowder
* Does any know where Terence McKenna is buried? ShroomScape 8,644 16 03/08/15 12:55 PM
by CosmicJoke
* Do you agree with Terence McKennas philosophy on institutions?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Cognitive_Shift 7,454 86 01/17/09 09:45 AM
by Noteworthy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,347 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 30 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.012 seconds on 18 queries.