Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineChowder
Human
 User Gallery

Translating Terence McKenna
    #12599880 - 05/20/10 08:15 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

First of all, I'm sorry for posting this here. But I really couldn't find a better category to place this.

I have read Terence McKenna's Food of the Gods recently, and I liked it so much that I'm thinking of translating it in my native language, Romanian.

There's is nothing like Terence McKenna translated into Romanian, or any other books where the author is taking mushrooms seriously. And I'm thinking that this would be a good opportunity to share McKenna's wisdom for people who maybe are not (yet) interested in stuff like this. Anyway, this book is not one of the 'crazy' ones, it is mainly objective and I think it could be included in ones general culture.

Well the thing is that I'm not a translator or anything, although I'm speaking English for 10 years now, and in the last year I've been living in England. I don't find this to be a problem; maybe a Romanian-English translation would require more skill.

Now my question is, what would be the first step in doing this? I think I should firstly contact the publisher, and the probably someone who has TMK's copyrights. Any ideas here? I really do not know how to start this.

Either way, I do not necessarily plan to make money by doing this. If I would find a Romanian publisher willing to print it, I would indeed be very happy, but if not, I would be happy just to post it on the internet somewhere. Even if the effort of translating it is huge. ( I think it could take me about an year or so, I really have no idea)

Do you have any comments, suggestions, or any brighter ideas that could help me?

I'm also curious what's your opinion about all this.

Peace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Translating Terence McKenna [Re: Chowder]
    #12599940 - 05/20/10 08:23 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Mushroom Trip and Fireworksgod are in that far off country. You might contact them. I know FWG is learning Romanian. They are both hot and full of good energy.

That's about all I can think of.:shrug:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: Translating Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #12599955 - 05/20/10 08:27 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

You should probably first find out if Romania would allow you to publish this book, not exactly the most liberal country in the world

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

OfflineChowder
Human
 User Gallery

Re: Translating Terence McKenna [Re: bloodsheen]
    #12600082 - 05/20/10 08:46 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

@bloodsheen: Yeah, should I just ask  Romania if they will let me publish this? Shoul I send an email at romania@romania.ro?

@Icelander: Thanks for the tip.

--------------------

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#12601327 - 05/21/10 12:18 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

@bloodsheen: Yeah, should I just ask  Romania if they will let me publish this? Shoul I send an email at romania@romania.ro?

:rofl:

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Loc: Α & Ω Flag
Re: Translating Terence McKenna [Re: jivJaN]
    #12602137 - 05/21/10 04:00 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Just spread mushrooms; according to McKenna they carry the same message, so take out the middleman.

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

Re: Translating Terence McKenna [Re: Arden]
    #12602196 - 05/21/10 04:29 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Arden said:
Just spread mushrooms; according to McKenna they carry the same message, so take out the middleman.

:thumbup:

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #12602257 - 05/21/10 04:55 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Arden said:

It only makes sense to assume that, considering that people get so many different ideas from taking mushrooms. :tongue2:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
    #12602391 - 05/21/10 06:06 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Chowder said:

:thumbup: And include an apology letter so your dictator can stand on his office balcony and read the apology letter publicly before publishing the book so any peasant that might get offended will be forewarned.

If you know Terrence McKenna and English well, and have a good voice in written Romanian then go for it. Find out first if anyone has the foreign rights to that book for the Romanian language. You can do this by contacting the publisher of the book you're interested in publishing. You might also want to see if you can get grants for publishing it, or if a publisher of psychedelic (or related) literature would be interested in publishing the project. Otherwise you'll have to do like many translators: translate the entire book and search for an agent or publisher.

Quote:

I don't find this to be a problem; maybe a Romanian-English translation would require more skill.

Generally in translation you only translate to your mother tongue. You might be an exception having lived abroad for so long.

Quote:

Either way, I do not necessarily plan to make money by doing this.

Good, because it's likely you're going to put a lot of time into this for a year or two, or longer, and get maybe a months rent in return (spread out over a year) if all goes well.

Quote:

if not, I would be happy just to post it on the internet somewhere.

Definitely try the publisher first. Then you get confirmation and that can lead to other translation work, etc. Otherwise go for anti-copyright and upload it to the net.

I don't like McKenna, but I think translation is an excellent thing and you're doing a good thing if you can make a text available to people who otherwise would not have the chance to explore it.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Translating Terence McKenna [Re: Lakefingers]
    #12602559 - 05/21/10 07:56 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Romanian chicks are hotter than the Hungarian ones.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineChowder
Human
 User Gallery

#12602661 - 05/21/10 08:55 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Arden said:

I'm doing that as well. :smile:

___________________________________-

@Lakefingers: Thank you for the good advice! :heart:

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#12602751 - 05/21/10 09:40 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Translation is a huge responsibility. Please do a good job

--------------------

OfflineChowder
Human
 User Gallery

Re: Translating Terence McKenna [Re: Noteworthy]
    #12602791 - 05/21/10 09:59 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I really do understand that. I am a bit overwhelmed about this responsibility as well.

I just hope that my language skills and all his talks and books I've read  will do the job. And maybe also the fact that I'm not doing it for money.

I am going to do my best.

Do you all agree that Food of the Gods is the one to translate, considering that this would be the first book talking about stuff like this?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom