Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16847119 -

"Think for yourself and question authority"


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16847154 -

That's pretty powerful:thumbup:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16847157 -

ClosedEyeCigarette said:
"Think for yourself and question authority"



k yea that's a good one :yesnod:

i feel like leary was legit, but to the people who didn't really understand him, the personality he brought with it just made him look crazy.  although as far as i know none of these guys were running for any election

most humans > mitt romney

i say that with ignorance too.  dude just looks like SUCH a tool :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: extreme]
    #16847175 -

yeah he was balls out having fun. Getting laid a lot and getting high a lot and experimenting with his mind.  A lot of people forget that mainstream use of drugs was basically unheard of. He didn't know what might be accomplished and so he did a mass experiment because hey what did we have to lose? Really, what?

Then guys like Ram Dass tried to bring him down and get rid of him and people got real scared when some things started to work.  The great fucking Ram Dass. :tongue:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16847213 -

Yeah ive never been too interested in alpert, the whole fierce grace thing just seems kinda lame to me.  Id rather read the bhagavad gita than his other books.  Leary was the man though and he will be remembered.  He could have taken the academic route with his psychedelic career but chose a cultural revolution instead.  He paid for it by becoming an outlaw and going on the run for the majority of her life bur didnt skip a beat and kept on truckin.  The ego games of mainstream culture and lifestyles are what leary wanted people to question.


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16847223 -

He really was an amazing character imo. I've greatly enjoyed and been inspired by his books.  One of the few humans I admire.  Not because he was perfect or always right but because he was a lot closer than most imo. And he had a sense of humor, a sense of the absurd, and was positive in spite of all the bullshit he saw, something I have a hell of a time trying to be. From the looks of it his life was a huge success.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16847274 -

Ya he made sure to smile and laugh whenever he got arrested lolo


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16847302 -

Eight years in jail for trumped up charges and escaped once.  When he finally came out he was smiling and said he used the time to explore his mind. ( he spent a lot of that time in solitary if I'm remembering right)  He became good friends with the Warden while he was in.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16847308 -

I remember hearing Mckenna say that everyone who breaks through on DMT gets 'the elves':facepalm:




Personally, i think he had a good grasp at what the psychedelic experience was and see him as a pioneer who dedicated his life to getting his message out. His ideas are extremely creative, thats why I could never hate on him. He has taught me a lot, most important he has helped me to be curious and appreciate nature :thumbup:


--------------------
Something there is mysteriously formed,
Existing before Heaven and Earth,
Silent, still, standing alone, unchanging,
All-pervading, unfailing,
I do not know its name; I call it tao.
If forced to give it a name, I call it
Great (ta). Being great, it flows out;
Flowing out means far-reaching;
Being far-reaching, it is said to return.


It's just a shot away..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16847317 -

Icelander said:
Eight years in jail for trumped up charges and escaped once.  When he finally came out he was smiling and said he used the time to explore his mind. ( he spent a lot of that time in solitary if I'm remembering right)  He became good friends with the Warden while he was in.



Ya he had a cell right next to manson once too.  Incredibly charismatic too.


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16847372 -

Icelander said:
"Tune on, tune in and drop out" for one.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/timothy_leary.html



Seems rather ambiguous. What is it supposed to mean specifically?

ClosedEyeCigarette said:
"Think for yourself and question authority"



That isn't even close to original.

Icelander said:
Eight years in jail for trumped up charges and escaped once.  When he finally came out he was smiling and said he used the time to explore his mind. ( he spent a lot of that time in solitary if I'm remembering right)  He became good friends with the Warden while he was in.



I'm not denying that he had a good time and made the most of his life. I'm just saying I haven't seen much in the way of intellectual contributions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16847390 -

I never connected with Leary for some reason, he seemed sketchy in a way.


--------------------
Something there is mysteriously formed,
Existing before Heaven and Earth,
Silent, still, standing alone, unchanging,
All-pervading, unfailing,
I do not know its name; I call it tao.
If forced to give it a name, I call it
Great (ta). Being great, it flows out;
Flowing out means far-reaching;
Being far-reaching, it is said to return.


It's just a shot away..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Bill_Oreilly]
    #16847396 -

same here, but ill admit I never looked very much up on him and haven't read his material.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: LittleDipster]
    #16847420 -

LittleDipster said:
same here, but ill admit I never looked very much up on him and haven't read his material.




Same exact here, ive only done a little research and nothing really sparked my interest so i gave up on him, without giving him a fair chance so my opinion is invalid.


--------------------
Something there is mysteriously formed,
Existing before Heaven and Earth,
Silent, still, standing alone, unchanging,
All-pervading, unfailing,
I do not know its name; I call it tao.
If forced to give it a name, I call it
Great (ta). Being great, it flows out;
Flowing out means far-reaching;
Being far-reaching, it is said to return.


It's just a shot away..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16847431 -

Memories said:
Icelander said:
"Tune on, tune in and drop out" for one.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/timothy_leary.html



Seems rather ambiguous. What is it supposed to mean specifically?

ClosedEyeCigarette said:
"Think for yourself and question authority"



That isn't even close to original.

Icelander said:
Eight years in jail for trumped up charges and escaped once.  When he finally came out he was smiling and said he used the time to explore his mind. ( he spent a lot of that time in solitary if I'm remembering right)  He became good friends with the Warden while he was in.



I'm not denying that he had a good time and made the most of his life. I'm just saying I haven't seen much in the way of intellectual contributions.



Come up with an original thought then bro.  If you want something more than a catchphrase look up the 500 page psychology book leary wrote


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16847435 -



--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16847464 -

Leary later explained in his 1983 autobiography Flashbacks:
"Turn on" meant go within to activate your neural and genetic equipment. Become sensitive to the many and various levels of consciousness and the specific triggers that engage them. Drugs were one way to accomplish this end. "Tune in" meant interact harmoniously with the world around you - externalize, materialize, express your new internal perspectives. "Drop out" suggested an active, selective, graceful process of detachment from involuntary or unconscious commitments. "Drop Out" meant self-reliance, a discovery of one's singularity, a commitment to mobility, choice, and change. Unhappily my explanations of this sequence of personal development were often misinterpreted to mean "Get stoned and abandon all constructive activity".[3]


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16847519 -

ClosedEyeCigarette said:
Raven Gnosis said:
From what I have picked up, Terrence was highly skeptical, even of his own work and encouraged others to pick it apart and question it as well.

He, like most people whose knowledge is 'radical' in its nature, can have a profound impact on the gullible and weak minded, too many times I have met people who treat his work as godly and 100% truth, this is not the spirit his work was done in and is meant to be hashed over with rational scientific reasoning. Especially his anthropological, ethno-botanical and psycho-pharmacological works.

If you have not been outside of western culture and immersed in a radically different culture, or have never really been immersed in altered states of consciousness that often can reveal the illusory and plasticine qualities of culture and its instances, than from that cultural-centric view point, it is easy to dismiss his cultural commentary.

Having strange psychedelic fueled beliefs doesn't discredit everything he says, if one does not posses the appropriate education and intelligence to hash through his works, then they probably shouldn't be reading them at all. :shrug:



Ya dude we obviously just arent as smart as you.  The book true hallucinations contains thuper legit anthropological and ethnobotanical research duder :rolleyes:



Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I was implying. Why do you associate your identity or mine with what I was saying? So unnecessary and conceded. :facepalm:


--------------------
To be human is to be fettered, to endure what one is, in perpetuum, no matter what the debility or perversity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Raven Gnosis]
    #16847528 -

I agree.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Raven Gnosis]
    #16847534 -

Terrence mckenna was a researcher of banality nd fringe theory.  To call him an anthropologist or an ethnobotanist is a pretty bg stretch. He popularized the shamanic view, so what.  Terrence mckenna, the fringe theorist pop shaman hokey man.


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Homage to Terence McKenna Ped 1,649 12 12/21/12 11:14 AM
by Vaipen
* Terence McKenna: another egomaniac
( 1 2 3 all )
question_for_joo 6,456 45 08/21/05 02:01 AM
by Luke
* Terence McKenna, crank or profit?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 9,047 92 02/27/09 11:00 AM
by Hubbub
* Terence McKenna's beliefs about time-telescoping
( 1 2 3 all )
question_for_joo 6,052 44 07/25/05 03:46 AM
by alsey
* Terence Mckenna's Novelty: What would he say today? Noviseer 2,879 14 02/12/04 01:23 PM
by Strumpling
* Translating Terence McKenna Chowder 1,586 12 05/21/10 07:59 AM
by Chowder
* Does any know where Terence McKenna is buried? ShroomScape 8,644 16 03/08/15 12:55 PM
by CosmicJoke
* Do you agree with Terence McKennas philosophy on institutions?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Cognitive_Shift 7,454 86 01/17/09 09:45 AM
by Noteworthy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,347 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 17 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.04 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.