Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16846703 -

I think Leary and Mckenna are both full of shit. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16846726 -

Exactly why was Leary fos?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16846786 -

ClosedEyeCigarette said:
greater individuals like huxley



^^ There's a man I certainly wouldn't mind learning more about.  Probably a great place to start.

I'm still my own #1 fan though :crazy2:  (when it comes to psychedelic research and whatnot)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: extreme]
    #16846808 -

Read the doors of perception, the perennial philosophy, brave new world, and island


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: extreme]
    #16846824 -

From what I have picked up, Terrence was highly skeptical, even of his own work and encouraged others to pick it apart and question it as well.

He, like most people whose knowledge is 'radical' in its nature, can have a profound impact on the gullible and weak minded, too many times I have met people who treat his work as godly and 100% truth, this is not the spirit his work was done in and is meant to be hashed over with rational scientific reasoning. Especially his anthropological, ethno-botanical and psycho-pharmacological works.

If you have not been outside of western culture and immersed in a radically different culture, or have never really been immersed in altered states of consciousness that often can reveal the illusory and plasticine qualities of culture and its instances, than from that cultural-centric view point, it is easy to dismiss his cultural commentary.

Having strange psychedelic fueled beliefs doesn't discredit everything he says, if one does not posses the appropriate education and intelligence to hash through his works, then they probably shouldn't be reading them at all. :shrug:


--------------------
To be human is to be fettered, to endure what one is, in perpetuum, no matter what the debility or perversity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16846852 -

Icelander said:
Exactly why was Leary fos?



He believed psychedelics provided people with mystical and spiritual revelations.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Raven Gnosis]
    #16846853 -

Raven Gnosis said:
From what I have picked up, Terrence was highly skeptical, even of his own work and encouraged others to pick it apart and question it as well.

He, like most people whose knowledge is 'radical' in its nature, can have a profound impact on the gullible and weak minded, too many times I have met people who treat his work as godly and 100% truth, this is not the spirit his work was done in and is meant to be hashed over with rational scientific reasoning. Especially his anthropological, ethno-botanical and psycho-pharmacological works.

If you have not been outside of western culture and immersed in a radically different culture, or have never really been immersed in altered states of consciousness that often can reveal the illusory and plasticine qualities of culture and its instances, than from that cultural-centric view point, it is easy to dismiss his cultural commentary.

Having strange psychedelic fueled beliefs doesn't discredit everything he says, if one does not posses the appropriate education and intelligence to hash through his works, then they probably shouldn't be reading them at all. :shrug:



Ya dude we obviously just arent as smart as you.  The book true hallucinations contains thuper legit anthropological and ethnobotanical research duder :rolleyes:


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16846869 -

Memories said:
Icelander said:
Exactly why was Leary fos?



He believed psychedelics provided people with mystical and spiritual revelations.



Incorrect, leary died an atheist with the belief that the brain is god.  Look past the harvard days bro, also huxley thought that psychedelics did this as well.


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16846892 -

I think calling the brain "god" is silly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16846898 -

In the sense that the brain creates reality? I dont agree


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: ClosedEyeCigarette]
    #16846905 -

ClosedEyeCigarette said:
In the sense that the brain creates reality? I dont agree



The brain doesn't create reality. The brain creates our sense based perception of reality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16846917 -

But we have no way of knowing what that objective reality is because we only have our subjective perception.


--------------------
Just when you think you're happy
I come around
I was meant to be
A punishment to you
A thorn in your side
A cancer eating through
I twist reality
And make it hard to bear
I am the only thing left
When love isn't there

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16846939 -

Memories said:
ClosedEyeCigarette said:
In the sense that the brain creates reality? I dont agree



The brain doesn't create reality. The brain creates our sense based perception of reality.



this is slowly being questioned by quantum physics. It does seem that consciousness plays a fundamental role in reality. Basically if no one is perceiving anything then there is nothing there at all but the possibility of it being there or not.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16846941 -

Memories said:
Icelander said:
Exactly why was Leary fos?



He believed psychedelics provided people with mystical and spiritual revelations.




Yes and I did at one time myself but that's not the only things he had to say about the use of psychedelics. Have you really read much of his work?


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: LittleDipster]
    #16846955 -

LittleDipster said:
Memories said:
ClosedEyeCigarette said:
In the sense that the brain creates reality? I dont agree



The brain doesn't create reality. The brain creates our sense based perception of reality.



this is slowly being questioned by quantum physics. It does seem that consciousness plays a fundamental role in reality. Basically if no one is perceiving anything then there is nothing there at all but the possibility of it being there or not.



Nice! beat me to it! Exactly what I wanted to say. :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16846969 -

Icelander said:
Memories said:
Icelander said:
Exactly why was Leary fos?



He believed psychedelics provided people with mystical and spiritual revelations.




Yes and I did at one time myself but that's not the only things he had to say about the use of psychedelics. Have you really read much of his work?



I admit, I haven't. What are some cool things he said IYO?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16846993 -

Memories said:
Icelander said:
Exactly why was Leary fos?



He believed psychedelics provided people with mystical and spiritual revelations.



He's right!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Memories]
    #16847061 -

Memories said:
Icelander said:
Memories said:
Icelander said:
Exactly why was Leary fos?



He believed psychedelics provided people with mystical and spiritual revelations.




Yes and I did at one time myself but that's not the only things he had to say about the use of psychedelics. Have you really read much of his work?



I admit, I haven't. What are some cool things he said IYO?




"Tune on, tune in and drop out" for one.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/timothy_leary.html


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: Icelander]
    #16847067 -

Icelander said:
"Tune on, tune in and drop out" for one.



Turn*

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terence McKenna [Re: notanumber]
    #16847086 -

:blush: oops


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Homage to Terence McKenna Ped 1,649 12 12/21/12 01:14 PM
by Vaipen
* Terence McKenna: another egomaniac
( 1 2 3 all )
question_for_joo 6,456 45 08/21/05 04:01 AM
by Luke
* Terence McKenna, crank or profit?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 9,047 92 02/27/09 01:00 PM
by Hubbub
* Terence McKenna's beliefs about time-telescoping
( 1 2 3 all )
question_for_joo 6,052 44 07/25/05 05:46 AM
by alsey
* Terence Mckenna's Novelty: What would he say today? Noviseer 2,879 14 02/12/04 03:23 PM
by Strumpling
* Translating Terence McKenna Chowder 1,586 12 05/21/10 09:59 AM
by Chowder
* Does any know where Terence McKenna is buried? ShroomScape 8,644 16 03/08/15 02:55 PM
by CosmicJoke
* Do you agree with Terence McKennas philosophy on institutions?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Cognitive_Shift 7,454 86 01/17/09 11:45 AM
by Noteworthy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,347 topic views. 1 members, 31 guests and 20 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.