Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Are Plants In Control?
    #1400930 - 03/22/03 04:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I started reading The Biology of Desire: a plant's eye view of the world by Michael Pollan today, and I wanted to share with you guys the viewpoint with which the author introduces his book.

He uses an anecdote of him tending to his garden to make an analogy between us and the bumblebee. By planting seeds which have been "domesticated" by humans into the ground, he is merely doing the same thing as a bumblebee carrying pollen grains from flower to flower. He thinks he is serving his own end, as the bumblebee does when it sips on the flower's sweet nectar, but the author proposes that it is really the plants who are in control!

Certain plants, over millions of years of evolution, have figured out how to properly win our admiration, thus causing us to propogate them and ensure the survival of their species. In a sense, plants have domesticated us to do all the work in maintaining their survival, just as they have domesticated bees to do the same.

We want the sweetness of their fruits, we want health and intoxication from their chemicals, and we want to admire the beauty of their flowers. They have produced what we want, so that we make sure they stay around.

I find this a rather interesting viewpoint. Any thoughts?

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Are Plants In Control? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1400961 - 03/22/03 04:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

damn thats heavy. jk but if it is true what are we going to do about it? nothing we NEED plants. in other words they have us by the balls. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Are Plants In Control? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1400990 - 03/22/03 05:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

yeah man nature's really smart :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Are Plants In Control? [Re: blaze2]
    #1401020 - 03/22/03 05:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think the same is true for the factory produced chickens. I mean, we think we're getting a good deal with all the chicken meat out of the deal, but actually the chickens win because they are crammed into tiny cages and stacked on top of eachother and grown till their legs break and..

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Are Plants In Control? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1401022 - 03/22/03 05:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quite an interesting perspective eh? especially since they were here first,perhaps we are just advanced vectors of propagation for the much larger life group which is the plant kingdom.Imagine animals having evolved as modes of propagating the dominant life forms of the planet, the plants.It is a rather humbling concept.WR

--------------------
To old for this place

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Are Plants In Control? [Re: whiterasta]
    #1401030 - 03/22/03 05:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

"Imagine animals having evolved as modes of propagating the dominant life forms of the planet, the plants"

... and the fungus?  :tongue: heh thats a cool idea :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Are Plants In Control? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1401051 - 03/22/03 05:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Instead of whining about where your food comes from grow your own and put the factories out of business.Besides the subject was PLANTS! not chickens.I am so sick of rabid vegans bitching about meat.Sure factory meat is cruel and disgusting.The reason? people are lazy sacks of shit without the balls to kill their own food even if their biology demands the occasional red meat suppliment.So folks with NO care for the animals are kept in business.As for the vegans,well if food gets short grain fed long pork is an option  :grin:
BTW Vegans are Mr.Pollans ultimate plant slaves! LOL funny how few actually produce their own food as opposed to a crusty old flesh eater like me who forages and hunts for at least 50% of my families diet and grows and eats the finest organic produce and meals.
Now I am going to go kill a chicken for dinner tommorrow night,but first I'll have to catch it,thank it for it's life,slaughter it and THEN cook it like most folks.In return I protect the chickens from racoons,cougar,hawks,weasels,coyotes and possums.Pretty well trained guard dog eh?WR

--------------------
To old for this place

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology