Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Legalizing Shrooms
    #803750 - 08/08/02 04:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Recently, there has been a large movement to legalize marijuana. While I completely support this movement based on Timothy Leary's commandment, "Thou shalt not prevent thy fellow man from altering his own state of consciousness," I don't think marijuana will be legalized any time soon. In June of this year (2002) the US Court of Appeals ruled that marijuana is to remain a schedule I controlled substance because it meets the following criteria:

1. It has no accepted medical use in treatment in the United States,
2. A lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and
3. And a high potential for abuse.

None of the schedule I substances meet the first two guidelines, as those are up to the medical community. High Times Magazine and Jon Gettman pushed for removal of marijuana from the schedule I list on the basis that it has medical uses. While this is true, marijuana does not have any accepted uses. Marijuana also has a high potential for abuse, as can be illustrated by many unproductive potheads around the country.

This is where mushrooms come in. While psilocybin and psilocin have no accepted medical uses, they can not be abused. Everyone here knows that you are not able to trip very often, maybe a few times a month at most. Because you can't trip every day, there are no "shroomheads" who spend all their time tripping. Therefore, mushrooms have less potential for abuse than any other drug, even aspirin, though I don't know why you would spend all day popping aspirin tablets.

Mushrooms have one more thing going for them, their taste. The only reason alcohol is legal is because it can be consumed recreationally, in a variety of flavors. While I personally can't stand the taste of mushrooms, I know many people (perhaps the majority of my friends) who actually enjoy their flavor. I have one friend who said he would put shrooms in a meal solely for the taste, with an afterward bonus of a psychedelic experience.

Psilocybin and psilocin are illegal because they cause hallucinations, and "anything that makes you see stuff has to be bad for you." In fact, until I actually read up on mushrooms, I believed that to be true. After a little bit of research however, I found that not only were mushrooms safe, but they are less harmful than marijuana.

So I ask you, why is there no large scale movement to legalize shrooms?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Legalizing Shrooms [Re: Anonymous]
    #803780 - 08/08/02 04:46 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ive got a High Times book, 25 years of smoke in your face..

From beginning to end they keep talking about radical progress and the hope that this might be it for legalizing marijuana.. Its funny but the articals sound just like everyone does today.

I am more hopefull today though. Now more than ever the pro marijuana political environment has gained an edge and we are running wild with it.. By the end of the decade I believe that 90% of states will have some sort of medical marijuana allowance and in another decade their will be forced federal change and within the next 25 or so years we will see trials of legalization here and their ultimately leading to total legalization and reulation here in the US.

If we dont blow our selvs up first.

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
Re: Legalizing Shrooms [Re: Anonymous]
    #803990 - 08/08/02 08:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

1. It has no accepted medical use in treatment in the United States,
2. A lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and
3. And a high potential for abuse.

How in christ is alcohol not on this schedule? Not that I want it there, but you know, the double-standard.

I don't think anyone would question that it meets 1 and 3. So I'd like to know how 2 is interpreted.

Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Political Discussion