Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Information Gap
    #6962393 -

What was it once called, the gap between those without internet and those with?

The digital divide?

Consider the amounts of knowledge one has if they abstain from internet use and just obtain their news, ideas, opinions, creative imaginings, etc, from television?

(Now books are another story and a vast wealth of knowledge)

I was thinking about the David Icke thing, and wondering.... you know, sure the internet is so open that it is practically a mirror, but the gaps between people who do any sort of research on any sort of topic, be it politics, conspiracies, all the sorts of rummaging and foruming and critical thinking and analysis that goes on from this, and between those who just prefer to have their information dictated to them by an authority (tv) must be huge.

I also note that those defensive of TV as being a valid source of knowledge often compare it with internet, such as to say "well what about the internet?" in response to stating that the TV confines and imprisons the mind to a select area of certain ideas and habits. I've come into this a bit from random people and I find it odd because it should be very obvious that the internet is centered around the use of your will and volition, whereas the TV informs regardless of your desire to "learn" in which case it is not information so much as indoctrination......

the internet being basically thousands of authorities working at hammering out some consensus, and the tv being more or less business suit authorities payed to air deliberate propaganda and discuss only things profitable.......

at any rate.......

I thought this because I was realizing that there are a lot of people who for instance know who David Icke is, regardless of their opinions of him.... and I bet they never discuss him in public unless with a certain group of people..... so it's like there is this giant schism between those who pursue whatever knowledge it is they pursue of their own volition, becoming specialized in something (as we do) vs those who simply prefer passively absorbing one of 200 flavors....

and it is curious.

of course the internet is just as consumeristic and indulgent as tv is depending on what you seek out, but it has a unified mind vibe to it where certain ideas will infiltrate all sorts of message communities, i.e. you would probably hear 9/11 conspiracy discussions on just about any forum with a few die hard crusaders believing they are spreading truth, the only thing that differs is the communities inherent bias to or against such ideas and how they will be handled.

So, maybe a 12 year old is on some sort of backstreet boys forum but they still have access to this knowledge that they would not get from the TV because of obvious reasons, and so the [subjective]truth (not Truth) seems to attempt to propagate itself in a unified manner.

Edited by leery11 (05/24/07 07:37 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: leery11]
    #6962441 -

I live in Montana. I feel like I live in a different world altogether. Lets just say that to the average person that I encounter, my ideas are the Anti-Christ. This is a direct result of internet vs. TV. Ahh... Freedom.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap *DELETED* [Re: leery11]
    #6964189 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: No reason.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: Lakefingers]
    #6966409 -

What ever they want. Freedom. Your reality is yours. Your house is your house. Your dream is your dream. I just hope for the best. If we don't correct what is wrong in the world we fail, not like that hasn't happened to the greatest of civilizations. Some how I believe that we've got this one figured out and things are going according to planned.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: backfromthedead]
    #6966438 -

Yeah, I think in time many good things are possible.

Tuning in and dropping out is a good start. Not dropping out of the institutions per se, just overstanding their games. Leary was right about that.


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap *DELETED* [Re: backfromthedead]
    #6968145 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap *DELETED* [Re: Lakefingers]
    #6968159 -

Post deleted by dorkus

Reason for deletion: .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: leery11]
    #6968296 -

we should abolish all technology


--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap *DELETED* [Re: Cracka_X]
    #6968323 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: Lakefingers]
    #6968326 -

is that what abolishing technology would do to you?


--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap *DELETED* [Re: Cracka_X]
    #6968340 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: Lakefingers]
    #6968349 -

let me refine my statement then, because when I say abolish technology I don't mean to the utmost extreme of nothing.


To the point where man wouldn't appear to be an infestation to this planet and rather be in harmony with the planet/nature.

There's plenty of food in the forests and I'm sure if everything wasn't just given to us then it'd force us to use our noggin every now n then.


--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: Lakefingers]
    #6968802 -

Quote:
bug: what do you think about the idea that you have to be part of the system to change it?


I think that it is a dangerous idea. Many with the best intentions have felt as though fighting from within the system would be best, only to find themselves caught in the game and cornered, or just plain corrupted.

But it depends on what system. For example, I am interested in the field of humanitarian aid and economic development in the third world. This is a career path where there would be tremendous opportunities to make positive change and to set a compassionate example. At the same time, if I went into such a career without having attained a high degree of consciousness and the ability to discern compassionate motivations from selfish, invasive development programs from progressive programs, then my work might impede humanity rather than having the desired effect of putting less fortunate people in a position to enact change as they see fit for themselves.

In other words, it's a fine line, and there is no easy answer. I think that individuals who have had psychedelic visions, have put forth great intellectual effort into an intellectual and philosophical understanding of their Dharma, and have made a habit of meditating on compassion, would do well to pursue careers that put them in the system in order to affect change (however minute), but should not feel obligated to do so if it would be easier to live a simple, compassionate life outside of the system.


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: Lion]
    #6968827 -

I feel that to really break the shackles one has to drop out to a certain extent. Then, to borrow a term from spiritualemerg, put on their 'cloak of ordinary man' and go out into the world to do 'battle'.

Sorry spiritualemerg if I stole your terminology, the credit goes to you, I just couldn't resist. That's the most fitting way I have ever heard it described. Thank you.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: backfromthedead]
    #6968851 -

To a certain extent can mean a lot of things. What does this mean to you?

The trouble with putting the cloak on is that it fits a little too comfortably and sometimes you forget it is a cloak and not part of you. Sometimes for me the cloak is just an excuse to play it safe while I 'figure things out'.


--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: Lion]
    #6969054 -

At first... it meant completely. Then its a journey of walking in both worlds, if you will. Which is hard for me.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Information Gap [Re: Lion]
    #6969590 -

I really can't think of a good way to put all this stuff because I think we are already free within the matrix for simple merit of knowing we are in the matrix and having always an intention to be resonant with the heart and higher rather than lower states.
What I can say is that when the game begins to become sentient and claims a situation of power by developing an ego, we have tyranny.

Flags are harmful if they aren't reminders that though the flag "is" it is an illusion and just a construct of ideas that are completely fluid and subject to change.


--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is the Internet Self Conscious
( 1 2 all )
TheGus 4,207 30 11/08/05 11:29 PM
by Huehuecoyotl
* US Retains Control of the Internet LunarEclipse 2,807 19 07/06/05 08:54 PM
by Droz
* The internet sucks your life away
( 1 2 3 all )
Microcosmatrix 4,976 58 11/09/05 12:17 AM
by rogue_pixie
* Why the internet is like telepathy Anonymous 1,607 13 12/13/01 12:45 PM
by Slamgauge
* The information age nick_hopton 917 12 11/19/04 04:53 PM
by Gomp
* The Information War
( 1 2 all )
Sclorch 2,225 31 12/20/04 06:43 PM
by Moonshoe
* Internet Utopia MountainMist 1,230 12 01/08/03 09:42 AM
by 3eyedgod
* Where do you get your Information??
( 1 2 3 all )
SofaJesus 3,878 40 04/10/02 09:14 AM
by Tannis

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
1,576 topic views. 3 members, 44 guests and 13 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.