Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
The internet sucks your life away
    #4897178 - 11/05/05 11:52 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

It does. There are less people outdoors partying. This is what the government wants. We are suckers for falling for it. Discuss.

--------------------
:orly:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: The internet sucks your life away [Re: Microcosmatrix] * 1
    #4897221 - 11/05/05 12:08 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

i dream about throwing my pretty computer out my second story window, just so i feel less apathetic.

by the same token, what i need isnt happening in my community so i live nostalgicly through internet community waiting to go travelling.

yes i like my computer more than my 8 roommates.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: The internet sucks your life away [Re: Microcosmatrix] * 1
    #4897245 - 11/05/05 12:19 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

There are in fact two sides of this.
As information also is a big value for every life, we even can see it positive. With this new gained information, subjectively balanced, filling our spirits, we can go out, becoming even more real.
Bad is to not act, or let the action only happen in our head, but with internet we have also possibilities to act, and that does not mean only switching channels like TV.

Yes, community is good, finding those with similar wavelength to encourage each other. This encouragement leads to further engagement and discussion, leading you out of 'your/our' rabbit hole, perhaps traveling :wink:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

Re: The internet sucks your life away [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4897289 - 11/05/05 12:45 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I counter that the more information is not worth the loss of true socialization.

--------------------

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: The internet sucks your life away [Re: Microcosmatrix]
    #4897295 - 11/05/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

oh forsure. For me... I need to be in a progressive climate and i want to go squatting.. Through the internet i am hooked into people who have connections to get me where i want to go.

Applied skills are picked up faster through the internet... wether its hooking up electricity through a car battery, or building bikes, or finding record distro's in italy and translating their mail order instructions into english with google.

I find im more inclined to find someone on MSN or myspace to hang out with, than to call..

but it there can be too much information...

I love what i do on the internet, im constantly researching (being somewhat productive; not playing video games.) but i also find being "well versed" in a multitude of schools of thought depersonalizes me from an issue. Im not sure thats clear, i sometimes fear that i subconsciously adopt a line of thinking after reading a debate on said issue rather than using critical thinking. Id like to think that i remain critical... but how do i tell.

Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: The internet sucks your life away [Re: headset]
    #4897311 - 11/05/05 12:58 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

just some ideas.

its a resource that should be embraced. but dont get sucked in...

or suck yourself in and enjoy the ride..

Me being.. *activist minded* or *rebellious* or *experimental* leads me to resources provided by collectives like crimetheinc or stencilrevolution - its inspirational and motivational to see other people outside of your own dull physical barriers.

MSN is bullshit, but if im talking to friend in Japan... its a hell of alot cheaper. Ya know?

I get angry when i see people eating lortabs and scrolling the shroomery (ive spent 4 or 5 years of my time on here, havent been around lately.).. there's alot of talk..

and then my highschool friends who have very little sense of identity outside of their possessions, and "dont have time" for the internet.. they also have no esoteric ideas or concept of a just society or personal responsibility in creating a better future..

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4897317 - 11/05/05 01:00 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not saying the internet is not fun or useful. After all, here I am posting with you. What I am saying is that when viewed in the big picture "what is the internet's impact upon mankind?" I find the losses in real life opportunities for direct socialization with other people extremely disturbing. Hardly do you find people outdoors looking to socialize, interactions are few. Bizzare and strange is what I call it.

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4897333 - 11/05/05 01:06 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I think you should generally resist the internet, but exploit its possibilities if you have a reason to.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4897339 - 11/05/05 01:09 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, but specifically the internet and there, especially board like this can encourage socialization, too, which can also lead to 'trueness'.
I think, there are two sides of this, and I personally don't see it as bad as those one-way consumerism stuff, what really leads you away from life.
I am on the same side as you, but isn't 'understanding' a part of socialization ? And understanding has to do with information.

The active part, as ever, lies in our hands.

And now some personal part: I have met very interesting and soul-beautiful people on the internet. Perhaps I plan to meet them somedays for real, but even communication via internet leads to new insights for me, which enrich the relationships to my 'real' world people,  as well. Internet often serves as a blockade-melter for me and my mind, what I can carry outside to and influence the real-world, sharing community.

I want to get a more complete perspective.

Perhaps we should search for the 'true' principles, which lead someone to grovel/cover at home in privacy instead of going out and sharing true socialization ? Internet is only a tool and the dangers and benefits lie within the user.

What about playstation in solo-player mode ? :laugh:

In other words: What lies behind that phenomena ?

--------------------
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Edited by BlueCoyote (11/05/05 01:27 PM)

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #4897342 - 11/05/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

even communication is breaking down into LOL's... or phone slangs.

I find alot of friends talk alot on cell phones, but dont actually have anything to say or do.

Hitchhiking i see everyone driving past, in their car, on their phone - BUBBLE BUBBLE BUBBLE i scream!

im reading "the comming anarchy" by robert D Kaplan right now and he describes the culture of privitization and security, and how gated communities are an import from 3rd world countries, and private gyms, pools.. whatever have slowly slept into north american society...

Certainly the internet perpetuates this trend of isolation.

why play with others when you can play with yourself.

im curious about other cultures..

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4897384 - 11/05/05 01:33 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Oops, hehe, I was in a more mystic soft mood :lol: (mixing forums this way round is not so much harm :lol:)

To refute your statement that internet would serve government to isolate us out, I must say, there are many possibilites with the use of internet and the sake of information, to build up 'true' discussion- and community-forces to look behind the fascades of government :grin:

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4897387 - 11/05/05 01:36 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The internet has caused untold personal encounters and self-realizations not to occur. How can you count this damage? The same information has always been available for the resourceful. It's aquisition has merely been made more convenient. And for this convenience, we have traded real heart to heart, face to face laughter. How can we count the true cost?

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4897392 - 11/05/05 01:38 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

"lol" What the fuck are we becoming?

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4897415 - 11/05/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

headset said:
i dream about throwing my pretty computer out my second story window, just so i feel less apathetic.

by the same token, what i need isnt happening in my community so i live nostalgicly through internet community waiting to go travelling.

yes i like my computer more than my 8 roommates.

What you need is abundant physical interaction with a myriad of otheer human beings. Unfortunately this does not seem to be happening in any community. It's because everyone is inside staring at a computer screen.

Dare to resist, dare to go outside and wander around. I will see you, we will smoke a joint together and ponder life's mysteries. I am the resistance, I am the philosopher, I am everywhere, you just have to come outside and look for me. I promise you, I exist. :zoom:

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4897423 - 11/05/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The internet has caused untold personal encounters and self-realizations not to occur. How can you count this damage?
I live in a big city and coud do hundreds of encounters every day on the way to work. As these encounters use time, I single them out, with or without internet.
On the opposite, the internet gives me much more bundeled information about something thet really interests me for real life in a much faster way. And that what interest me, are in main part also social communities and understanding for the goodwill of spirit and earth.

I really can't see your problem compared to many things much worse in your case described-

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4897429 - 11/05/05 01:51 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

You just do not yet comprehend what the internet is costing us. Perhaps because it is all you have ever known?

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Male

#4897442 - 11/05/05 01:57 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
The internet has caused untold personal encounters and self-realizations not to occur. How can you count this damage?
I live in a big city and coud do hundreds of encounters every day on the way to work. As these encounters use time, I single them out, with or without internet.
On the opposite, the internet gives me much more bundeled information about something thet really interests me for real life in a much faster way. And that what interest me, are in main part also social communities and understanding for the goodwill of spirit and earth.

I really can't see your problem compared to many things much worse in your case described-

What about the rest of my post quoted below?:

Quote:

The same information has always been available for the resourceful. It's aquisition has merely been made more convenient. And for this convenience, we have traded real heart to heart, face to face laughter. How can we count the true cost?

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4897488 - 11/05/05 02:23 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Microcosmatrix said:
You just do not yet comprehend what the internet is costing us. Perhaps because it is all you have ever known?

I know the internet very long, indeed, since 1985 and I participated very intense till about '96, until www came to full bloom. Before I was in usenet altnet gernet fidonet and more, even helped to support the rising of a german culture-net. I also I was in local mailboxes, with regular user-meeting. I know from what I am speaking here.
But to relief you, I was on almost every mountain top here in Bavaria, love forests and nature in general, which is my 'virtual' home.
That what sucks is modern real society, how you call it. As I said, I live in city and used to go out in my earlier years, of course. But I really can abandon all those posers and city-bloomers here in this town. I love to make up my own community, as I ever had, search for the right people and places and enjoy life with them.

Perhaps you should dig into internet a bit deeper ? It seems, that you are the one who lacks understanding in this matter.

--------------------

Edited by BlueCoyote (11/05/05 02:30 PM)

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4897501 - 11/05/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

What about the rest of my post quoted below?
The same information has always been available for the resourceful. It's aquisition has merely been made more convenient. And for this convenience, we have traded real heart to heart, face to face laughter. How can we count the true cost?
I answered it above in the second paragraph:

I should ad that emoticons are a real good way to express feelings like lol of face to face laughter... they are limited, indeed, but I also can like to recieve a video of yours, where you show me your laughter :wink:
:a hides behind desk :lol:

--------------------

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #4897509 - 11/05/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dare to resist, dare to go outside and wander around. I will see you, we will smoke a joint together and ponder life's mysteries. I am the resistance, I am the philosopher, I am everywhere, you just have to come outside and look for me. I promise you, I exist. :zoom:

Im that guy too. Im sick of the docile masses, so i sing and walk creatively and be weird - alone usually and provoke reactions in innocent ways. Just for the sake of hopefully inspiring a conversation or a thought in some mind numbed briefcase weilding suit and tie guy staring at the ground on his way to whatever important duty he is assigned to, where he will consume and waste and consume and waste...

its hard to build a community, most people dont even think about what their lacking.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale