Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: toastandjam]
    #6130234 -

Hey toastandjam,

Welcome to the Shroomery team and thanks for joining! I'm not 100% sure about the GUI version, personally I run the console version which by default writes checkpoints every 15 minutes. You can set this by adding these lines to the bottom of client.cfg:

[core]
checkpoint=10

(Checkpoint is in minutes.)

Again, I'm not sure if this applies to the GUI version or not but it might get you looking in the right direction. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

As for the helix under your username, in your basic preferences there's a field to specify your FAH username.

Thanks again for joining the team!

Peace,

-Y

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: Ythan]
    #6131047 -

Just joined the shroomery's Folding @ Home team but it told me i had to wait a couple of days before i can enter my F @ H username on the shroomery. Why?

Also says on the display on F @ H that th WU will end 1041 days from now does it usely take that long?


--------------------

Edited by MycoKris (10/04/06 12:52 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: MycoKris]
    #6132734 -

can anyone explain in english what this is?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: mungojerry]
    #6132869 -

mungojerry said:
can anyone explain in english what this is?





.......cut and paste from a link located in the very first post in this very thread:

"Folding@home uses your spare CPU cycles to solve complex scientific problems. Its results could lead to cures for deadly and debilitating illnesses. You can help this project by downloading and running the Folding@Home client software. Join the Shroomery's team today!"

Your PC automaticaly downloads small chunks of data to work on, then sends them back by itself. 'Spare' CPU cycles refers to computer power you do not use while doing something else.

IE: You are typing in notepad on an Intel 4ghz CPU computer. Notepad does not need 4ghz of power to run. The other 99% of your CPU power would be used to crunch away by F@H. The background program runs on LOWEST priorty, which means any other program takes priority over it. If you start playing a game that needs 95% of your CPU power, F@H will instantly drop down to only use the remaining available power (the 5%).

F@H, especialy as a service, runs in the background with minimal memory resources, no intrusion, and no hassle. You never need to turn it off. Why not cure cancer with no effort what so ever?


--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: RuNE]
    #6145962 -

I'm sorry if this has already been asked within the 9 pages of this thread, but...

Wouldn't that make your computer go slower than a paraplygic snail on an Alaskan Christmas morning
My computer barly gets by when I close everything but what I'm doing. It's a real mess. Wouldn't running this program on a computer like mine keep someone from doing anything else?


--------------------
Today while walking up the stairs
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
Oh how I wish he'd stay away

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: flower_child]
    #6146244 -

I think RuNE went four days into the past and answered your question one post up. :wink:

But the answer is no, on any modern preemptive multitasking OS the only performance hit will be from the memory used by the FAH client which is typically just a few megs. Here's a reference: http://techreport.com/etc/2002q4/foldingimpact/index.x?pg=1

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: MycoKris]
    #6146254 -

Oh and MycoKris - you can't specify your FAH name on the BB until you've submitted at least one work unit. That's the reason for the delay. 1,041 days does seem awfully long for a single work unit, has it gone down as it improves its estimate?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: Ythan]
    #6150657 -

i didn't start folding until i was informed that there was no noticable performance hit but in less than a month i have really climbed the charts. i've definitely got enough computers laying around burning coal anyway. i really want to see team Shroomery climb the big chart. I can only imagine where I/We would be had I been folding for the last year or so.

what is up with all the people who were going strong and just quit? my next target to surpass is Pris#1.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: debianlinux]
    #6151446 -

I have a question, as I steadily become more familiar with the software etc...

The past 6 WUs I have completed were 500 frames each.  Upon completion, they tallied as one complete WU each.

The last WU I received has 20,000 frames.  My machine has completed ~4800 of them thus far and should be done by friday. 

I (and hence we, from me) still list only 6 completed WUs.  Are the first few always small?  Are the later ones always large?  Will I (we) get credit for more than 1 WU after all 20k frames are processed (seeing as the processing time\effort required for this one is 40x that of the past 6)?

:confused:


--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: toastandjam]
    #6156490 -

Although i do not know the exact math behind it, trust me when i say they are one and equal.

If you look at your team score, somone with 500 WU's will be ahead of someone with 1000 WU's. This is because you'll also see the points for the first person is a higher number. This means that the person with 500 WU's worked on larger units. During install, there is actualy an option that asks if you want to download WU's larger than 5mb.

Anyway, big WU's take longer to complete but are worth more points. In the end it all just comes down to how many PC's you have crunching away, and how fast, because all WU = points.


--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: RuNE]
    #6159215 -

the recent news that ati19xx GPUs now have a client that crunches some 15X faster than a P4 is disturbing... considering I don't have a single ati card of any variety.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: debianlinux]
    #6159264 -

I joined the effort last night, and was immediately assigned a 20,000 frame WU. I'm so mesmerised by the idea behind this that I think I'll upgrade my CPU this month. Hell yeah team Shroomery!


--------------------
I eat Rubik's Cubes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: debianlinux]
    #6159343 -

debianlinux said:
the recent news that ati19xx GPUs now have a client that crunches some 15X faster than a P4 is disturbing... considering I don't have a single ati card of any variety.



I know, I'm thinking of selling my Geforce 7800 and getting an ATI card. But that's kind of hardcore I'll probably wait until I'd be upgrading anyway. For a while they were saying the GPU client would run on nVidia, disappointing. :frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: Ythan]
    #6160273 -

Wow, i heard they were working on GPU's, but i NEVER imagined they'd outperform their CPU counterparts!

I gotta find something about this. Anyone know the techs behind it?


--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: RuNE]
    #6161122 -

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html is their GPU client FAQ, it answered most of my questions. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contest! [Re: muse_sick]
    #6161641 -

i just switched to a different distro of linux. finally i am back in folding actions :laugh:



--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: RuNE]
    #6161830 -

> Wow, i heard they were working on GPU's, but i NEVER imagined they'd outperform their CPU counterparts!

A GPU is very specialized, thus many millions of transistors can be put towards optimization of small functionality. A CPU is generalized, thus the many millions of transistors must be used for functionality rather than optimization. Nothing is free however. There CPU, though slower, can handle any type of problem while the GPU, being very fast, can only tackle very specific types of problems.

It makes sense when you think about it, though it isn't obvious.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: Seuss]
    #6162483 -

:thumbup:

Do either of ya know if both the regular console, and the GPU client can run at the same time?  I dont think this was answered in the FAQ specificaly.


--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: RuNE]
    #6175441 -

For anyone who's interested, The Tech Report has a closer look at FAH on the GPU.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: anyone not on the shroomery team for folding@home? [Re: Ythan]
    #6358991 -

Sweet, I just switched over the Shroomery Folding @ Home team.  :smile: I don't see my user name in the team yet. How long does that usually take?


--------------------
"There's a clock on the wall and it won't stop tickin, tickin, tickin, I try not to listen but it dictates every little thing I do." -Ugly Duckling

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* NASA research team successfully flies first laser-powered ai wingnutx 1,843 6 10/11/03 03:28 AM
by Le_Canard
* Folding@home....transferring WU from one client to another? Randolph_Carter 772 2 08/25/04 06:15 PM
by RuNE
* Folding at home tak 1,181 12 01/21/05 01:40 PM
by LouisSkolnick
* Hard drive installation issue. Help please! ImOver18 964 8 12/06/04 04:39 PM
by Cubieman420
* Stealther: IP Chaining Prog to login Shroomery Lana 3,682 10 08/23/02 04:08 PM
by Fd3000
* 5 shrooms for grub help sherm 1,543 18 10/05/04 07:36 PM
by sherm
* LInux program install trouble monoamine 1,331 9 09/11/04 01:10 PM
by monoamine
* Living Off the Grid - Stage 1: Project Conception/Ideas
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
trendalM 17,044 93 03/04/05 04:45 AM
by SomaShaman

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
87,676 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 6 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.