Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory
    #541933 - 02/05/02 11:50 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Many people believe marijuana to be a gateway drug. I beleive something different. They are closed-minded.

I think, the only reason they are led to beleive that, is that mrijuana is the drug most comonly abundant in human society, and that is why they believe, that it leads people on to stronger drugs. Take cocaine for example;
It is a very hard(and not to mention dangerous drug). It's not very often you find a kid that has not tried drugs, trying coke for the first time. The reason being, there is not as much of it among the younger, more suceptible(sp) people, than there is marijuana, thus....proving my theory.
It's always"hey man, spark the doob", and then expeincing the wonders of pot. I am 16, and have been smoking weed for 4 or 5 years. I certainly like shrooms as well. I respect them very much, and limit the amount I do(
Usually at least 5 months between doses). And the time gets longer, as I get wiser. I would never try a synthetic drug, and have had plenty of opertunities(sp) to do so, but have not given in. I'm sure i'f i had tried shrooms before weed, I would still like them.
The people that are going to get into stronger drugs,will so eventually, as they have more opertunities and "exposure" to stronger drugs.

I can go on for a while with more facts to conclude my theory.
Does anyone have any opinions or comments on my theory. It would be great to get some different opinions, so I can add them to my conclusion. thanks for any input:)

One more: Think about how many stoners there are. Tons. it's a simple fact more people have pot than any other drug.

Glacius 

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCuckoosNest
addict
Loc: Northwest (shaped like a ...
Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: Glacius]
    #541961 - 02/06/02 12:20 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I took a class called Substance Abuse this year In school and the book classified alcohol, nicotine, and marijuana as the "gateway drugs" So that is some improvement on the notion that marijuana is a gateway drug. Personally alcohol is way more of a gateway drug to me. I do not remember a time when weed impaired my judgement on something, but am cannot even remember the amount of times booze has impaired it. For example, when i quit smoking cigarettes I was never tempted to have a square unless I was under the infuence of alcohol (and I state it like that because I would notice that even one beer would make me crave a cigarette). When I am stoned I do not have the urge to have a cigarette, instead I only remind myself why i quit in the first place.

--------------------

"...Three geese in a flock. One flew east, And one flew west, And one flew over the cuckoo's nest."
Ken Kesey

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
    #541968 - 02/06/02 12:23 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I agree and I disagree.
For example, I agree that it is not a gateway drug for people like you and I who have a common respect and intelligence. I am guessing that you are a fairly smart kid and have had some form of guidence at home. If this is the case I believe that these types of people are less likely to do hard drugs.
I do however believe that if a child grows up with no love or guidence, and begins to miss school at a young age, then the background information and the necessary "you really should'nt do that" have more than likely have not been conveyed. So it would be more likely for the kid to move on to harder drugs after pot. So it really can be a gateway drug for a certain type of mind. thanks for listening to my bumbling opinion!

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: MentalHygene]
    #542091 - 02/06/02 02:35 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i agree with that as well. Some people are just more likely to use harder drugs.

--------------------
addicted to reason

OfflineLord_A
Loc: Netherlands
    #542093 - 02/06/02 02:36 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I think young people have a strong sense for adventure, a need to explore borders and simply wnat to have a good time. So trying out other stuff is an easy step.

Many people that sell drugs do it for the money. There's more money in hard drugs than soft drugs because of the addiction thing. People keep comming back and use more and more=more profit. So if you want to make more money you give them some coke or smack to try when they buy marihuana. "Hey man, you gotta try this, this is great stuff"

I have used cocaine and amphetamine when i was younger (sometimes in unhealthy amounts). I don't use it anymore, but i do still use marihuana. I didn't use those things because marihuana told me so but because it was available.

--------------------
a strange direction can be a beautiful opportunity

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: Lord_A]
    #542152 - 02/06/02 03:24 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

please give me all the drugs you can spare...

mmm :wink:

Don't blame it on the weed, it was my first drug, but only because it was available. Actually it was second to liquor. Liquor's is nice... :smile:

I'd take most any drug you could offer, but I would do that no matter what. There are people like me, I don't know what you'd call them. (Call them in fairness at least...) I'm concerned about my "safety", but to a much smaller degree than most people.

Why do I bother writing this? It's only going to give me a "negative" reputation. 

I have to get back to work one of these days... I wonder if Poe would feel less fulfilled talking to people instead of sitting there and writing all day... nevermind. 

--------------------

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

#542163 - 02/06/02 03:34 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think its a gateway drug. Most people start drinking or smoking cigs before they smoke herb. In anycase life if boring sometimes and people want to have fun. The alchohol, nicotine, marijuana series is just common because they are the easiest to obtian. If marijuana didn't exist they would move onto something else. I think its a bullshit argument.

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: TeRzMaStA]
    #542165 - 02/06/02 03:35 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

!

Dead on.

--------------------

InvisibleLord_of_Fungus
The AlmightyLord & Master ofThe Universe

#542176 - 02/06/02 04:01 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The bottom line is Cigarettes and Alcohol is more of a gateway drug than anything else.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #542230 - 02/06/02 07:02 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

My "marijuana is a gateway drug" theory.

There are two catagorys for drugs, legal and illegal. The government, schools and parents don't draw a clear line between drugs that can kill you and drugs that might not be so good for you, but won't kill you. They say alcohol and tobacco are legal, and everything else is illegal and bad.

So when kids finally do try pot, they realize that it's not nearly as bad as they were told. Then they start to think "well if pot isn't as bad as they say, maybe other illegal drugs aren't as bad as they say".

My point is, is if marijuana is a gateway drug, then it's because the government, schools and parents ruin their credibility by putting alcohol and tobacco in the "legal" group(which insinuates that they aren't that bad) and putting marijuana in the "illegal" group with heroin and crack. This opens marijuana users up to the illegal drug world and other illegal drugs.

Another theory of mine is: "What do you mean most heroin addicts started out with marijuana? Of course they did, did you expect them to start out with heroin??"

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineLord_A
Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #542292 - 02/06/02 08:53 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

"Another theory of mine is: "What do you mean most heroin addicts started out with marijuana? Of course they did, did you expect them to start out with heroin??" "

I got another one: HEROIN ADDICTS DIDN'T START WITH MARIHUANA BUT WITH MILK. THE GATEWAY DRUG IS MILK, BE CAREFUL KIDS.

--------------------

OfflineH111B111ie
Stranger
Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: Lord_A]
    #542304 - 02/06/02 09:13 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

What would happen if schools and government programs suddenly stopped teaching and talking about drugs? Do you think there would be an increase in teen users? An increase in harder substance abuse?

OfflineLord_A
Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: H111B111ie]
    #542376 - 02/06/02 10:53 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Difficult to predict. You have to be informed to make a good choice but i doubt if the information presented on American schools is very good. If somebody is interested in using something, they're gonna try it anyway. The thing that kept me from heroin was a friend who was a junkie and showed me what it was like to live like that, after that i didn't need to find out how heroin feels. The best education is this kind of education and experience, not some misinformation recieved at school.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: Learyfan]
    #542442 - 02/06/02 11:54 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

well what i think is the whole gateway drug thing is just more fuckin scare tactics they teach in school to keep kids off the "bad stuff" i still don't get how they can compare weed to coke and heroin i used to do coke but never again i started with weed laced with coke but it's just too unhealthy but again with the scare tactics they have the dare program and just say no which gives bullshit effects that drugs have which are totally untrue they are just mad cos they make no money off the drug trade the greedy bastards really it's all availability when things are there you just might try them fuck the gateway theory pot is friendly and a lot less harmful than booze(never really liked booze) but hey whatever floats your boat

OfflineTypingwords
Veteran Seasonal PNW Hunter
I'm a teapot

Loc: seattle-ish area, WA
Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: ]
    #542465 - 02/06/02 12:12 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

well marijuana was kind of a gateway drug for me because I was the type of person who hated all drugs and people who did them, I held out on that until like the 10th grade. but when I smoked pot i realized you can't judge something unless you know what the fuck your dealling with, and I realized that other drugs probably were amazing learning experiences also, in their own different way. So pot can spark your curiousity about other drugs because you want to have more of these new experiences that you never imagined to be possible.

--------------------
everything everyone everywhere.
forever and ever

OfflineSherlockDrubu
enthusiast
Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: Typingwords]
    #542475 - 02/06/02 12:23 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I've had pot readily available my whole life, but never smoked it until 10th grade. I ate acid before I smoked weed... I saw how some people were all burnt out and missing school, so I waited until I got the hang of high school before I tried smoking... now that I smoke, I get better grades than I did before (but I think that is partly to do with shrooms and motivation)

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: SherlockDrubu]
    #542539 - 02/06/02 01:23 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I tried mushrooms months before i smoked pot. in fact i was really against smoking cuz i didn't want to inhale nasty smoke (almost associating it with cig's.) i think it's a gateway drug to the misguided, cuz it's the first available, usually. but, i would say not for the drug itself, but for the 'initiation' into the culture that does drugs. but, those who know better, those who are intelligent, know when to draw the line because they actually get to know about the drug before submerging their head in it. lotsa pot, respected amount of shrooms, a tiny bit of E. that's what i'm about.
before doing something, find out if it's worth doing.
if something is worth doing, do it responsibly and respectfully.
_ry_

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: Blastrid]
    #542633 - 02/06/02 02:41 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

An interesting problem, is that: should the school system educate students on all aspects of drugs, or just do like they do now and say "all are bad, exept for tobacco and alchahol when your 19, so we can make money off of your distruction". Will kids be more interested in hard drugs I'f they know more about them, or are just told "NO".

I Think the more I learn about everything, the better choice I can make about it, in the future. This also aplies with anything you learn, am I correct? An interesting thing I noticed about 4 months ago in the school library is good evidence;

I was browsing through the drug section, analizing all the material, and a lot of it is down right wrong, and outdated. They have books from the 60's and 70', with almost no effort to accually come up with real data.Ex:

I was looking through a book with some very nieve(sp)
stories about kids and Magic mushrooms. Very poorly put together, with almost no true information. Abuch of kids went to the movie's, and did shrooms before-hand. I guess it turned out to be a disaster. Aparently one fell asleep during the peak of the trip(is there not to much adrenaline at the peak of the trip to "fall asleep") A whole bunch of other things as well. Everyone basically had a very bad time.(one of them was bound to like it, in a group of like 10 kids.)

I'f they had of educated those kids in drugs, they would of know to properly set up a trip, and a good eviroment, without a large crowd, and all that, they would of been fine.(just a random idea):)

--------------------
addicted to reason

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: H111B111ie]
    #542647 - 02/06/02 02:56 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Bottom line some drugs have effects which are more positive than negative, with others its the other way around. IT IS UP TO THE PERSON TAKING THEM TO DECIDE. They fill people up with so much bullshit about drugs that when one lie is discovered everything becomes a lie. Parhaps disillusionment is the true "gateway drug". My advice to all of you consume as many fucking psychedelics as you can get your dirty little hands on!!!

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: My understanding of the 'gateway drug" theory [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #542718 - 02/06/02 04:09 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The gateway drug theory is a fallacy. You go out and ask 100 heroin users if they ever smoked pot before using heroin. 90 of them answer yes, therefore pot is a gateway drug to heroin. The fallacy is obvious when you ask the same 100 heroin users if they ever drank pepsi before using heroin. 95 of then asnwer yes, therefore pepsi is also a gateway drug to heroin.

It is very easy to bias polling studies. "We asked 500 people if they used heroin. Of the ones that answered yes, we asked them if they had smoked pot before using heroin. Of the ones that answered no, we asked them if they had smoked pot before." What they fail to mention is the person doing the polling was standing in the entrance to a heroin rehab clinic where addicts come to fill their methadone prescriptions.

There is also the famous brain damage from smoking weed study. They (the scientists we are to trust) were supposed to give something like one joint a day to each monkey for one year and the biopsy their brains looking for damage. The guy in charge didn't want to bother getting monkeys stoned for an entire year, so he forced them to smoke the same overall amount, but in a one or two month period. I don't have the numbers handy, but it was something like a person smoking five ounces of weed a day. Needless to say, the monkeys had brain damage... and since we were looking for brain damage it must have come from the cannabis. They failed to take into account the ammount of carbon monoxide in the smoke. 5ppm of CO over a year time vs 200ppm of CO over two months is very very different. Even though the experiment was flawed and meaningless you still hear the government and media go on and on about brain damage from smoking weed.

I feel that if nature grows it, then we have the right to consume it. In my book, cannabis, shrooms, tabaco, wine, beer, coca leaves, etc should all be legal. Processed drugs such as distilled alcohol, cocaine, heroin, etc should all be illegal.

I also do not believe that children should be allowed to posses drugs. I define a child as anybody that is not old enough to die for your their country. Once you are old enough to be drafted, you are old enough to drink or smoke or whatever else. Wait until you graduate from high school before you go sticking stuff in your head (stuff==drugs). College is the appropriate time to play.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals