Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Some dried subbs
    #4650197 - 09/12/05 02:35 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Awhile ago I found a nice amount of Pan Subb mushrooms. Around the same time, my B+ grow at home began fruiting, and so I really haven't had any need for them.

Well, I kinda forgot them and just left them in the bag I found them, kinda in a slight pile. I looked at them today and noticed that they are quite dry indeed, all up in a ball. They have been kept dark and dry. Is it a bad thing to dry mushrooms this way? I know you aren't supposed to, but I was wondering if it really causes any troubles in this case. They seem to smell like normal dried subbs (kinda like a mixture of straw, and well, dried mushroom). They naturally dry to a blackish color, so I can't really use the black color as a sign of rotting or something.

What would the effects be from eating something slightly rotten (mainly just to know, since I have cubes and don't really have to have these subbs)? I am pretty darn sure they aren't anywhere near completely rotten, if at all rotted. Do they smell different when they rot?

I don't really mind tossing these out, but its a nice chunk of subbs, so if there is no reason to, I would like to keep them.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Some dried subbs [Re: Ramuh]
    #4650223 - 09/12/05 02:41 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Panaeolus and Copelandia mushrooms dry out and become black when they are dried in a area without sufficient air flow, an example being in a bag or in a box. they are still good to eat as long as you dont see any obvious mold on them, but they are not going to be as potent as they could be had they been dried properly, an example being in front of a fan or in the open air at least.

OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Some dried subbs [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4650230 - 09/12/05 02:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ahh, thanks. About how severe of a potency drop are we talking though?

I like the 4g area of subbs, so would 4.5-5g be an alright dose to make up for my negligence to the poor subbs?

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
Re: Some dried subbs [Re: Ramuh]
    #4650231 - 09/12/05 02:43 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It's possible they rotted a bit and then dried up. You wouldn't want to be sick and tripping at the same time, but then again you don't want to throw out good mushies. i think your best bet is to make them into a tea where the water temperature is high (but not boiling) for some time. this would probably take care of a lot of the bacteria/mold if there was any. Loss in potency is minimal if using fresh subbs in tea (from experience), but I don't know about dried ones.
Since subbs often grow near poop which has lots of bacteria, it may be best to take all precautions.
Best of luck.

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

Loc: WA,USA
Re: Some dried subbs [Re: nycomyco]
    #4650709 - 09/12/05 04:36 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

nycomyco, I don't know much about mushi tea but I will soon probably be making some. With fresh shrooms do I want the water to boil or just be below boiling and for how long do I have the shrooms in there? Also I hear eating wild fresh shrooms here in Washington can give you a worm, is this true and is it true for the same if they are dried? I donut want worms.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineBlueFos
lost in theforest
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Some dried subbs [Re: mikeownow]
    #4652246 - 09/12/05 10:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

First chop up your shrooms then pour boilin water over em and let sit for like 15 minutes, then strain that shit.

--------------------

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

Loc: WA,USA
Re: Some dried subbs [Re: BlueFos]
    #4652283 - 09/12/05 10:55 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks BlueFos will do I can taste it now =D.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
Re: Some dried subbs [Re: BlueFos]
    #4653385 - 09/13/05 01:29 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

the water should not be boiling, but hot. I would take it off the stove before adding the shroomies. leave them in there for a bit, then squeeze and strain them out and freeze the tea till you use it. I don't know if there's a worm problem in washington- if there was i would guess there would be a problem elsewhere. I'm always somewhat surprised that more people don't get sick overall especially from cubes growing directly off of poop. i guess maybe because the poop is usually sitting out in the sun for a while before fruiting is possible.
another plus side to tea (especially for subbs, from what i've heard) is that you avoid the nasty GI effects that often go along with eating fresh (indigestible) mushrooms of the panaeolus genus.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification