Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGSAfarmer
Mycotopian
Loc: Mycotopia
Re: Pan. Subb find in Oregon [Re: mjshroomer]
    #842055 - 08/25/02 10:19 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I was worndering. Lets just say it might be a new species ,what is the best to detemine that it is? Is it more or less through a microscope, and to eliminate all closly related Paneaolus varieies? Two facts are clear: One is that is is growing in newlly laid lawn, seccond is that it prints black. Aslo I notice that it has a mre prominent band on it when the fruit is in its younger stage and the band tends to fade as it matures and when it is starting to dry out, except when the smaller one are drying they keep the band. hope the last bit of info might help out a litlle................................peace

--------------------

GSAfarmer Joshua

"Don't live someone elses dream."..........GSAfarmer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Pan. Subb find in Oregon [Re: GSAfarmer]
    #842074 - 08/25/02 10:31 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I really doubt that it is a new species. It was too common in the lawns were you were and shrooms grow very well in new lawns. Here in the PNW blue ringers are as abundant as the Hay mowers mushroom and while you may have possibly picked a few subbalteatus in the collection I still would say that the majority of those musrhoms are Panaeolina foenisecii. I have shown dark prints to many people of Psilocybes which appeared to be black prints and they are actually purple to chocolate brown.

Here is a print of Cubensis which looks to appear to be black. This is from a photograph developed at a private photography shop here in seattle which is great for showing true colors.

Anyway, I await a print from you. But I am still positive that you have a massive lawn fruiting of Panaeoilinas or a non active species at the least.

And again the stems are pretty thin to be subbs.
mj

OfflineGSAfarmer
Mycotopian
    #842090 - 08/25/02 10:40 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I was just say the new species thing on a hypothetical level. Also i was wondering if you might have a brown print that could be mistaken for a Pann. print, instead of the print of th Cube? Thanks for the info......................peace

--------------------

GSAfarmer Joshua

OfflineKingBolete
enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast
    #842162 - 08/25/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hey there,

The two on the outside in the first picture sure look a lot like the ones in the Audubon book plate 91. Their description fits pretty well...

Cap: 11/4-2"(3-5cm) wide; conical to expanded, with central knob; smooth to roughened, moist, dark, and tawny fading to tan, with broad, dark-belted zone around the margins.
Gills:attached, close, broad; brownish, becoming blackish, mottled.
Stalk:15/8-4"(4-10cm) long, 1/8-1/4" (3-5cm) thick; reddish-brown, covered with white hairs, sometimes bruising blue at base.
Spores: 11-14 x 7-9 u; elliptical, smooth, with pore at tip. Spore print blackish.
Edibility: Hallucinogenic
Season: June-July
Habitat: Scattered to numerous, on dung and manured soil; often in gardens
Range: Widely distributed in North America.
Look-alikes: Psathyrella foenisecii grows in grass. Panaeolus acuminatus is reddish-brown and does not bruise blue.
Comments: This hallucinogen is common enough to be considered a weed.

Juan/Javier got his first good Ps. Cube. boomer from outside. It came from an area where several types that did not pan out inside were placed. Very nicely medium/light chocolate center (looked like a small brown volcano) with nipple moving to tan to the edges. Well formed 2 inch cap, half inch thick stalk and very, very potent....whew!!! I watched "Kiss of the Dragon" with Jet Li and mesmerized! Prints were taken...

Best regards,

King Bolete

Edited by KingBolete (08/26/02 08:07 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #842699 - 08/25/02 05:37 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

MJ, thought dark prints can appear black you can usualy do a brightness enhancement and botain an exagerated version of the color. below is the picture you posted with a level 20 brightness enhancement;

you can clear ly see that the color is purple. this may not always work and with some software you may get artifacts of color that are not there but overall you can tell the actual color.
[edit: note, none of the color levels/intensities have been adjusted, only the overall brightness]

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (08/25/02 05:38 PM)

OfflineGSAfarmer
Mycotopian
Re: Pan. Subb find in Oregon [Re: canid]
    #842931 - 08/25/02 06:59 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yo Concrete that is a good idea. We should try that with print of ours. Joshua has a nice dark one. Will it be accurate by taking a good closeup shot with a digital camera? If so we shall post a pic of the print.............................peace

--------------------

GSAfarmer Joshua

OfflineGSAfarmer
Mycotopian
    #844423 - 08/26/02 12:46 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Here are a couple of pics of the prints we made.

These set of pis were taken a few days after our first find

I noticed that the mature ones tend to loose the band on the caps.

Hope you enjoy the new pics

Hey MJ and Mr. Mush your guys? prints are each in the mail................peace

--------------------

GSAfarmer Joshua

OfflineNewHunter
help
Loc: Washington
    #844527 - 08/26/02 01:32 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

those prints look black to me. The stems seem way thinker then any panilonias(sp) that i find and it looks like a sub to me in all features now that i looked at the print.
Nice habitat pics!!!

--------------------
RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN

OfflineGSAfarmer
Mycotopian
Re: Pan. Subb find in Oregon [Re: NewHunter]
    #844709 - 08/26/02 02:42 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

No rain, more like Sprinkler^^^Sprinkler^^^Sprinkler^^^
It hasn't rained in a few weeks and the last time it did rain it was not that much.

Oh thank you sprinkler gods for bringing forth our fungi friends..............peace

--------------------

GSAfarmer Joshua

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
    #844746 - 08/26/02 02:57 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

we got rain in vancouver last night just enough to piss me off when i was transplanting some plant to the moutains

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Anonymous

#845030 - 08/26/02 05:02 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineNewHunter
help
Re: Pan. Subb find in Oregon [Re: ]
    #845222 - 08/26/02 06:20 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

yeah the sprinklers just arnt cutting it for me, i could go for a good few days of hard rain!!!!

Have you tried any of them yet cause if they are not subbs the are the panilonias and they are find to eat. I think it would be safe to test. I bet you will trip!!!

--------------------
RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN

Edited by NewHunter (08/26/02 06:21 PM)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Pan. Subb find in Oregon [Re: NewHunter]
    #845302 - 08/26/02 06:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I say again subbs...or another related active pann...looks very much like the ones I find here in the East...growing from lawns...certainly not foenescii or any other panaeolina for that matter....nice finds.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #845308 - 08/26/02 06:55 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

here?s a pic of the print enhanced by level 20:

looks pretty plack.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Anonymous

#845424 - 08/26/02 07:44 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #845765 - 08/27/02 03:15 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hi GSA FArmer, well those last images you posted definately look like Pan Subbs but I am guessing that you have a mixed collection. The gills and shapes of the caps are definaleyt Pann Subs. next time poost images of the shapes of the caps. They are not always round but will be three quarters round and then a sharp straight kind of one side of the outer shape of the gills appear curved to straight.

Anyway, I obnly doubted the taller thin ones but loking at the grass I can see the grass was tall.

Now, to remind you they will only pop up for a few years. many new lawns which produce blue ringers lose their lawn service after a year or so. And /or they stop deeding the fertilizers to the new lawns.

I have seeen that happen when Soouth Center Shopping Mall In Tukwilla after 22-years of Evergreen Lawn Service stopped fertilizing and cutting the many thousands of lawns in the Senter and Industrielle park side of the mall. Ap place were 80 percent of the lawns produced mass amounts of Blue Ringers, and Baeocystis shrooms for years on end.

I even took Andrew WEil there to pick Baeocystis.

Anyway I was wrong but congradulations on the score.

They are either pan subbs or P. olivaceus. I will give yur print to Dr. Joseph Amiratti (not suee off hand of the spelling.

mj

Dosage should be one fresh ounce or 3-5 dried grams.

Offlineflanders53
enthusiast
Loc: NY
    #846030 - 08/27/02 04:56 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah they're definitely subbs. Although I've never found them in lawns, they look very similar to the ones I picekd today. I've found that in smaller specimens, the gills tend be a lighter, brownish/tan color, while the large ones have very dark gills. I took some pictures to prove that, but now that the discussion has been resolved I won't post them. Nice find GSA Farmer!! Have fun!

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Pan. Subb find in Oregon{update on pics} [Re: GSAfarmer]
    #846152 - 08/27/02 06:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Nice pics and post.

Black spore prints.

After reading everything mj typed i would
Put my guess on them being Panaeolus olivaceus

It just seems to elegant of a collection for them to be Pan subbs.

...far out shit man.
Lawn Shrooms rule.

Keep shroomin,
GG

OfflineGSAfarmer
Mycotopian
    #846822 - 08/27/02 11:33 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks all for your help. But tonight will be the last set of pics . They will be the most promanent, mature patches yet. Joshua and I went on a jog back to our spot, and found the best specimins. I took a few home and noticed that there was some nice signs of blueing at the base of the stalks. I hope you all stay tuned to our final feature............................peace

--------------------

GSAfarmer Joshua

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

#846872 - 08/27/02 11:58 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Nice find guys. Is a bioassay in order?

DH

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder