Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSmallworlds
Trippin' fool -Merry Prankster

How would a parent prevent the American education system...
    #4013460 - 04/04/05 05:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

...from brainwashing their child? In public schools, children are taught to never question authority, told "what to think", not "how to think" etc. etc. How would a parent with a child in the American public school system best shield their kid from brainwashing and teach them the whole value of thought, without causing their kid to get "in trouble" in school? I'm serious.

--------------------
Through the excercise of patience, one may learn humility..

Smoke plenty of green, and eat fungus!!!!
:peace::heart::slomo::gd_icon::gd_icon::gd_icon::slomo:

Trip Report

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLux
Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4013466 - 04/04/05 05:02 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Home schooling.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: Smallworlds]
    #4013467 - 04/04/05 05:02 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Do not have kids. This goes for everyone.

There are enough people in the world without you adding to the problems.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: tomk]
    #4013482 - 04/04/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you for your replies, but i really want good specific thoughts on the question as I asked it. The question is how would a parent best undermine brainwashing efforts in public school.

While home schooling is a great idea, it's a hell of a lot of work and often not feasable, just as private school is often not affordable.

And tomk, just suppose the kid is already here, I would like to hear your opinion on the question I asked.

--------------------

Trip Report

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4013623 - 04/04/05 05:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Smallworlds said:
Thank you for your replies, but i really want good specific thoughts on the question as I asked it. The question is how would a parent best undermine brainwashing efforts in public school.

While home schooling is a great idea, it's a hell of a lot of work and often not feasable, just as private school is often not affordable.

And tomk, just suppose the kid is already here, I would like to hear your opinion on the question I asked.

Interact with your kids. Tell them the truth about everything you know. Provide an example of thinking and living differently. That's all you can do as far as I see.

My partner are trying this with her kids. I hope it works.

I liked those first two posts. Best ideas if you can do it.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: Icelander]
    #4013693 - 04/04/05 05:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

or you could just drug them with adderol and ritalin like 70% of parents do/have done.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: Icelander]
    #4013717 - 04/04/05 05:59 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The best way to undermine the public school system is to not care what it tells you about your kids.

Tell your kids that it doesn't matter if they pay attention on their teachers, or get good grades. Encourage them to learn before they start school, and then let them tell you if the teachers are helping or hurting them from actually learning all day.

And don't have expectations for your kids. Expectations kill kids. Support them without requiring anything of them. If they want to play video games all day, let them. You are only a kid once.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4013838 - 04/04/05 06:27 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I work at a school so I know the proper way. Just send a note to school with the child requesting that they be exempt from brainwashing. This works every time. Glad I could help!

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4013930 - 04/04/05 06:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Easy, Home schooling. The numbers of home schooled kids are doubling every year. I home school mine! We have government support to do so as well. They are not holding our kids hostage. We are free to teach them if we think we can do better.

You bet I want her bum to question "authority". I LOVE it when she calls me on poor judgment and decisions regarding my authority over her. I really think of myself as her guide to the ways of the material world more then an authority figure to her anyway. I have learned a lot from her about compassion and patience. She has been my guide to the world of spirit.

You can try to fight the school systems but good luck. There are parents who are piss poor at raising respectful self disciplined children who listen so the schools have to set themselves up as authorities not to be questioned JUST to maintain order. It's sad. I pulled my daughter out of one that was using shamming techniques to correct undesirable behavior. My daughter was heart broken by all she witnessed going on there at this "award winning school". She was crying for how the other kids were being treated. The parents of the disapline problem kids are the ones who push for heavy authoritarian style educations.

Finally some progressive schools are taking action and are intervening in the home lives of some of these kids and are getting counseling and parenting skills help for the parents. Maybe some day when the high schools teach how to parent, the schools won't have to be so heavy handed but can become more open and interactive learning environments like homeschooled ones are.

HOME SCHOOL for now.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: tomk]
    #4013931 - 04/04/05 06:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The best way to undermine the public school system is to not care what it tells you about your kids.

I like this, you're onto something. In doing so you will remind your kids who's they are.

--------------------

Trip Report

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#4013953 - 04/04/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i piss on the school system

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4013960 - 04/04/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Your outlook is refreshing. I'd like to think that the schools are just trying to maintain order, but I believe there are darker, more sinister energies in play. School is the government's obvious choice where it can get ahold of people at an early age and bend them into the shapes they want in order to maintain their tyranny. Look at the so called "dare program", which is ostensibly supposed to give kids an education about drugs. But what they are really doing is showing kids pipes, bongs, and other drugs so that little Johnny wil say " Oh, my daddy has one of those.", next here come social services demanding Johnny's father take a drug test. It's fucking bullshit.

--------------------

Trip Report

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: fresh313]
    #4013966 - 04/04/05 06:54 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fresh313 said:
i piss on the school system

haha you and me both buddy!

--------------------

Trip Report

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4014023 - 04/04/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I think I asked a similar question in a different thread. I think it is just as important to consider the inverse. How can a parent prevent their child from being indoctrinated by the schools while also not forcing their (the parents) set of values on the child. And in doing so how do you raise a child with some underlying sense of right and wrong.

Questions like the above are what keep me from ever having children.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4014032 - 04/04/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Home schooling.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: trendal]
    #4014146 - 04/04/05 07:26 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Home schooling.

If everyone wanted to home school their children they'd outlaw it.

--------------------

Trip Report

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4014192 - 04/04/05 07:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The American education system itself has some useful purposes, such as exposing children to others which is becoming more and more uncommon outside of work/ school in this culture for many. To combat its harmful effects, it's rather easy; tell your children all the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Don't lie to them about Santa, drugs, authority, sex, the government, tell them all the knowledge they need to develop into geniuses. Reveal everything that you know to them, and after school teach them as much as you can through other sources, such as books and the internet.

Brainwashing of authority? With knowledge they'll grow out of it. After all, oppression's best lover is ignorance; destroy one and you help destroy the other.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: trendal]
    #4014196 - 04/04/05 07:39 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I don't buy home schooling. What makes you such a good parent and teacher that you can offer your child all he/she deserves? Some parents may be able to properly teach their children but most certainly not all or even a majority.

I would trust a child to the care of a properly chosen private school before handing her/him over to a public school.

OfflineSmallworlds

Re: How would a parent prevent the American education system... [Re: Ravus]
    #4014275 - 04/04/05 07:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Brainwashing of authority? With knowledge they'll grow out of it. After all, oppression's best lover is ignorance; destroy one and you help destroy the other.

I concur completely

Quote:

Don't lie to them about Santa, drugs, authority, sex, the government

I'm not so sure about santa. What's the harm in a little fantasy for children. I loved the whole Santa Claus story complete with all of the fun kid's movies, and I never resented my parents in the least for allowing me to believe in it until I learned the truth.

--------------------

Trip Report

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #4014295 - 04/04/05 08:00 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I loved the whole Santa Claus story complete with all of the fun kid's movies, and I never resented my parents in the least for allowing me to believe in it until I learned the truth.

I see that as a way of indoctrination. A child may learn to not trust others because even her/his most trusted family has lied to her/him. It may not do harm but it also might. Why not allow the child the decision to choose whether to believe or not?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies