Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: The United States Government & Education.... [Re: Evolving]
    #2272946 - 01/25/04 09:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Did I say that?

No, that was my interpretation. I thought that was your assertion.

Quote:

But at least they're not all following the same script. Not only that, some will be taught critical thinking.

What difference does it make what script they follow? I understand your point, but the pitfall is that you decide your ideas are superior, and that is the script people should follow. Some animals are more equal than others...

Quote:

But they score higher on standardized tests than the public school drones who repeat their own institutionalized soundtracks. Funny thing is, private school students also do better than public schools students. Why is that? My experience of attending both kinds of schools showed me that private schools have a greater emphasis on education and holding kids to higher academic standards, rather than an emphasis on cultural indoctrination.

Now you are making use of the US education system (which you were previously naysaying) for your rebuttle. Private schools have more rigorous standards. I don't doubt that, but there is still no original thinking. Again, human soundtracks, the tracks are just better produced.

Quote:

Humans are endowed with the ability to reason and think creatively. This is usually hampered by years of rote learning and indoctrination in institutions we euphemistically call 'schools.'

I don't know. I have encountered people that seem incapable of origninal thought. But, maybe you are right and it was in their edumication.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The United States Government & Education.... [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2273020 - 01/25/04 09:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:
I thought that was your assertion.

Nope.

Quote:

I understand your point, but the pitfall is that you decide your ideas are superior, and that is the script people should follow.

Where did I say or imply that people should follow my script? I beleive that a diversity of ideas and the interplay of those ideas is beneficial to the creative processs and to coming up with ways and means of improving the human condition.

Quote:

Some animals are more equal than others...

You implication being?

Quote:

Private schools have more rigorous standards. I don't doubt that, but there is still no original thinking.

How many private schools have you gone to? Do you speak from personal experience? There are many different schools taking different approaches, there are no central edicts as there are coming down from the U.S. Dept of Education.

Check out this link, it relates to our discussion.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: The United States Government & Education.... [Re: Evolving]
    #2273059 - 01/25/04 10:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Where did I say or imply that people should follow my script? I beleive that a diversity of ideas and the interplay of those ideas is beneficial to the creative processs and to coming up with ways and means of improving the human condition.

"You" was impersonal.  The person that decries centralized opinion usually has their own agenda and they would be more than glad if everyone thought the same.  As you demonstrated, you don't.

Quote:

You implication being?

Read "Animal Farm" if you have not already.  It pertains to the point above.

Quote:

How many private schools have you gone to? Do you speak from personal experience? There are many different schools taking different approaches, there are no central edicts as there are coming down from the U.S. Dept of Education.

I have not attended a private school, but I have seen many movies about them, so I know what I am talking about. :lol:

Again, schools cannot imbed critical thinking in students much as they cannot imbed problem solving.  If you have those abilities, the school can reinforce them.

GOOD LINK.  I understand very well the problem.  My answer.  People get what they deserve.  If my fellow Americans re elect Dubya, then I will leave the country and let them deal with him.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom