Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
Binary belief systems.
    #741272 - 07/12/02 09:13 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Either it's true or it's false.
Either it's good or it's evil.
You're either with us, or against us.
Liberal or Conservative.
Christian or heathen.
Coke or Pepsi.
Hot or not.
Right or wrong.

This is at its worst when it comes to politics- There are only two ways to think. By deciding which one you belong to, your position on the entire spectrum of unrelated Issues, from abortion to drug legalization to guns to taxes to censorship has been decided for you. But in the United states, these 2 parties have adapted to the point where they are just a tiny distance to the left or right of the center, and both own the minds of almost exactly 50% of the voting population. Go ahead, make a stand, proudly display that bumper sticker- they're both paid for by the same corporations.

A rock or a hard place.
Choose.
Now.
Of course the American political system is only one example. Humans like to do this to just about everthing.
Most often it's put forward as "us vs. them" where "we" are right, and "they" are wrong, so let the raping and pillaging begin.

How many times have you heard the clich? "there are two sides to every argument?" Can that be true? Shouldn't there be as many sides to every argument as there are people on the planet?

(That's not a yes or no question, by the way, so I expect some longer answers.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Binary belief systems. [Re: Xibalba]
    #741404 - 07/12/02 09:59 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Shouldn't there be as many sides to every argument as there are people on the planet?

I'd say that it depends on the nature and scope of the argument. Some things fit fairly well with the binary thinking, some things don't. However, even when logic tells us that something can have only two possible states (the car either is painted black or is not painted black), there is the possibility of a "null" answer, meaning the answer is unknown. Life is full of more unknowns than anything else.

It is my opinion is that many people are 'programmed' to think (or believe) in the either-or manner as opposed to acknowledging that they don't know. They jump to conclusions when none are fully supported by evidence at hand or are even needed. For example, in many debates between athiest and those who believe in a diety, neither side will acknowledge that they don't know and both tend to look at agnostics as even more ignorant than they view each other. Both claim certainty of the unknown.
How can one be certain of the unknown?

This tendency in human thinking is very unfortunate for humans as individuals as well as a species. The first step in learning is an acknowledgement (on some level) of ignorance.

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
    #741414 - 07/12/02 10:04 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

There are atleast two sides, possibly more, to every argument. Can there be a one sided argument? You either agree or you dont, but, maybe you believe strongly in arguments from both sides so you're somewhere in the middle, lets say, a "maybe". Looks at the political spectrum. We usually see it as a semi-circle, that is, 180 degrees. Now, there are five different political outlooks ranging from left wing to right wing. What happens if you believe in in a left wing idea but are ovbiously a right wing believer? Does this start a 360 degree circle or do you dispisition yourself a certian amount to the left amount from your right wing believes?

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #741550 - 07/12/02 11:11 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

How do you argue with someone who argues in the form of 1/0?
What if the argument is about thinking 1/0?

Basically, I keep running into hurdles like these. I really don't think it is possible to get a close-minded person to open up with dialog alone. Dialog is inherently cheap when it comes to issues like these. We can spend more time and energy trying to come up with creative ways to break down barriers (sans entheogens), but when it is just some guy you meet in a bar... what then? It's like you MUST give in to them and be seen as "weaker" because all you'll do by planting that seed of doubt (and not following through with the growth process) is fuck them up. Just look around you. I've run into countless people who have taken acid, not followed through with any personal growth, and they've totally fucked themselves up.

So, my final question:
Should one
A) be Johnny Appleseed and try to reach many
B) hold the hands of a few and show them the dance
C) do something else?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

Re: Binary belief systems. [Re: Sclorch]
    #741614 - 07/12/02 11:40 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Sclorch, to answer your final question:

Why? The mass of humanity are domesticated primates and will follow the few who lead the way. The most leverage is to be achieved by working with a few who are able to recognize a good idea and easily change their minds. After reaching a certain critical mass, the concepts understood by the core group(s) will then begin to filter down to the common man. Such changes are usually generational.

Good luck on starting the new enlightenment as we enter the new dark ages. I'll give you any help I can.

Edited by Evolving (07/12/02 11:51 AM)

OfflineShroomalicious
You may say I'ma dreamer...

Loc: The Shire
    #741696 - 07/12/02 12:43 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Correct me if I am wrong but...is what you are saying is many human's tend to try and make everything look either "black" or "white", over-simplifying issues and thus not giving problems the appropriate amount of (individual) attension and consideration they need in order to make intelligent decisions???

If that is what you are saying, then I have said it a thousand times (but thanks for saying it again ) and I agree with you with great conviction!

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

OfflineShroomalicious

#741699 - 07/12/02 12:46 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Oh ya...BTW...
Coke or Pepsi.
COKE ANYDAY!

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

Offlineerectronik

Loc: zeitung unter den See
Re: Binary belief systems [Re: ]
    #742024 - 07/12/02 02:42 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OK, before I post, I should mention that a very large vein on my temple is about to erupt, because my coworker erased what I thought was what you would all read. Serves me right for trying to get paid to think.
Anyway, you guys ever find yourselves, during this discussion, or the process that led to it, wondering, "am I being too elitist?" "am I 'better' than those other people that think that way?" I'm curious to know if any of you've shared this insecurity with superiority.

I've pretty much decided that these kinds of questions are precisely the kind of thinking in question, i.e. 1/0. Whether you decide you are better or not still makes you a binary decision maker.
I believe in frustration with the masses, but dissassociation from them is usesless. I can pretty much think of something interesting and important to talk about with most people. Even when I can't, I talk they way I like, about the things I like, and usually end up as one of countless stereotypes as I pass through the binary-quantizer in their thought reflex. Should we be bitter for being misunderstood? Well, in one sense, I've never been misunderstood, as people always seem to "understand" me, with their labels and categories. But as for actual understanding, yes, I would love to be understood more, but I'm getting better and better at finding the people I crave. That's why I'm here.
As for the rest of humanity, yes, we need to teach them to dance. Gotta go, boss man's a-comin.

--------------------
"Hallucinogens can be like talking to a really talented salesman: beware of what you can sell yourself." - J.L.C.

Anonymous

Re: Binary belief systems. [Re: Sclorch]
    #742188 - 07/12/02 03:41 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"How do you argue with someone who argues in the form of 1/0?"

I don't argue or discuss deep things with those that cannot understand. It saves my breath and their ears.

"So, my final question:
Should one
A) be Johnny Appleseed and try to reach many
C) do something else?"

This assumes one has something to teach or is not in need of teaching. Each of us has the answers we are open to receiving.

Maybe the answer is D: learn what you are supposed to learn. I do not feel responsible for humanity or for anyone to whom I have not committed myself. My job is to learn.

Else how will I improve?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Binary belief systems. [Re: ]
    #742200 - 07/12/02 03:48 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

(the car either is painted black or is not painted black)

Not really true. Under magnification, one will see the black paint to contain millions of subtle hues. "Black" is simply a generic way of describing this morass of colors.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

Re: Binary belief systems. [Re: Swami]
    #742221 - 07/12/02 03:55 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

That may be true but the logic of the case stands firm. I assume the poster meant that the car is either the morass of colors you define as black or some other color. If any color is a complex of subtle hues we still refer to that color as what we see with our eyes and not a microscope. Your explanation is reductionism.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#742254 - 07/12/02 04:13 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Either it's true or it's false.
Either it's good or it's evil.
You're either with us, or against us.
Liberal or Conservative.
Christian or heathen.
Coke or Pepsi.
Hot or not.
Right or wrong.

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Why choose? I'll take both!

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #742290 - 07/12/02 04:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Swami, I know this is a little off topic but someone mentioned in another thread that they understood you to be a female. Now I see that you find Ginger and Mary Ann equally interesting. Are you a lesbian? If so, is this the explanation for your sometime acerbic tone to most other posters whom I assume are male?

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Anonymous

#742383 - 07/12/02 05:18 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Mr_Mushrooms
Each of us has the answers we are open to receiving.

Okay, so if I ask you... "What is my wife's name?" and you are 'open to receive the answer,' that means you have the answer? Okay, open up...

What is my wife's name?

No cheating, you already have the answer, just post it here.

Anonymous

#742400 - 07/12/02 05:25 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Swami, regarding the car that is either painted black or not painted black:
Under magnification, one will see the black paint to contain millions of subtle hues. "Black" is simply a generic way of describing this morass of colors.

I have one thing to say to you, a difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Edited by Evolving (07/12/02 05:33 PM)

OfflineArisEve
My Chronic

Loc: Use a GPS if ya wanna kno...
    #742430 - 07/12/02 05:36 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Why I dont vote at all. Either side I chose will still yield to the same future... In the end its the government, and not the people that make the world how it is. Democracy is a double edged bastard sword.

--------------------
Simple pleasures in life are only to momentarily distract you from the obviousness of lifes reality...

-ArisEve

Anonymous

Re: Binary belief systems. [Re: Autonomous]
    #742436 - 07/12/02 05:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Here Autonomous, I devised a little not quite binary poll...

Is Swami a lesbian?
Yes, and a damn sexy one
No, it's a man, baby
How the hell should I know?

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 05:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

OfflineArisEve
My Chronic

#742438 - 07/12/02 05:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, black is essentially every color or not a color at all.

--------------------
Simple pleasures in life are only to momentarily distract you from the obviousness of lifes reality...

-ArisEve

Anonymous

Re: Binary belief systems. [Re: ArisEve]
    #742554 - 07/12/02 06:17 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

maybe the postmodern practice of deconstruction would interest those who ask such questions as these. when you deconstruct something you take apart the binary oppositions inherent in whatever logic you are deconstructing and show that those oppositions are depenent upon one another. as in..what is a heterosexual without the concept of homosexual...or instead of "cowboys are heroes and indians are villians" we could try "cowboys couldn't be heroes without wiley wicked indians types to be thier villians". i think. it's all rather involved and you have to read a lot of books to even be able to fake it.

Anonymous

#743075 - 07/13/02 02:04 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"Okay, so if I ask you... "What is my wife's name?" and you are 'open to receive the answer,' that means you have the answer? Okay, open up...

What is my wife's name?"

How could I be open to receive the answer and have it at the same time? As I said, "My job is to learn."

Your question contains the fallacy of equivocation. I did not imply that the questions or answers dealt with empirical data like your wife's name. I was referring to more esoteric truths. But I am sure you knew that.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#743223 - 07/13/02 06:00 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

What is my wife's name?

Does it rhyme with harmonica?

--------------------

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
    #743350 - 07/13/02 07:42 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Postmodern deconstructivism- bleah. Sorry, I've been fed so much of that in school I've developed a mild allergic reaction to it.

Derrida is no different from Hegel, in my mind. They both thought they had the final meta-philosophy to explain it all, and there couldn't be anything beyond it.
These postmodern academic people think what they're doing is so new and 'transgressive...' Well, the world's been 'postmodern' since before I was born, and it's just getting old already.

I'm not sure it has the ability to add anything new to human thought. Merely to discredit the old by drowning it in pretentious rhetoric. But then what? If these beliefs are wrong (ok- we can't say 'wrong' anymore- "problematic...") what do you expect to replace them with? So it's the opposite problem. Now we're so hyper-inclusive of all viewpoints that we can't make a meaninful statement about anything.

And we're still just exhuming thoughts and attitudes from the 1950s to take them apart and spit on them and pat ourselves on the back for being so enlightened. Come on. Get over it. Do something new...

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #743571 - 07/13/02 10:35 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

God I love good posts like this. Thanks Xibalba.

Come on. Get over it. Do something new...
I've been trying to create as many new things as possible. It sucks when you are at the prototype stage and you're still stuck with using others' terminology with connotations you don't want to get into. You state the first sentence of a book and someone jumps on your ass and tries to dissect your unfinished manuscript (or thought). It is incredibly frustrating and it is definitely a major barrier for me.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

#743739 - 07/13/02 12:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Mr_Mushrooms:
How could I be open to receive the answer and have it at the same time?
I don't know, that's why I was puzzled by your previous statement, "Each of us has the answers we are open to receiving."

Mr_Mushrooms:
I did not imply that the questions or answers dealt with empirical data...
Sorry, I interpreted your statement differently because there was no indication that it excluded empirical data. This is not a reflection on you, but I've become accustomed in this forum to reading many posts from others for which such a statement would apply to empirical data.

Edited by Evolving (07/13/02 12:39 PM)

Offlinellib
journeyman
Loc: florida
    #743914 - 07/13/02 02:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Your post is the basic tenet of hegel's philosophy. When things are proposed as being binary, it is easier to control both sides.
he said
thesis versus anithesis
equal synthesis
meaning that typiclly when things are presented in binary form, there is often a third party controllingboth sides.

for the conspiracy oriented person, this is felt to be how the "new world order" controls most of its interests.
democrats versus republicans, hmm, 19 presidents were of a bloodline related to king charlemagne and 32 to the bloodline of king hnery the 8th. Some fringe writers believe it is simply the person with the most "blue-blood that wins an election, helped by the one controlling group.

i will leave opne who that group may be for discussion, but world banking comes to mind
this world trade center thing is uncannily timed with a period when there is a strong push for world government, world, banking, world, army

OfflineArisEve
My Chronic

#744238 - 07/13/02 06:37 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

wow... lets get swami, mr mushrooms, xibalba,sclorch all in one big room and just feed off their knowledge... truely amazing what you can learn on a board that revolves drugs... quite intreguing.

--------------------

-ArisEve

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#744448 - 07/13/02 08:59 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know, that's why I was puzzled by your previous statement, "Each of us has the answers we are open to receiving."

You have been coming to this board for HOW long? Like you haven't seen this type of "thinking" repeatedly portrayed.

Ever notice how people only say good post when they agree with what someone is saying? Identification with group-think is much more important than any possible truth.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #744553 - 07/13/02 10:30 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Very, very nice thread.

Black and white thinking.
Drawing those good ole battle lines had made many a man a superficially super man.
Just take one end of the spectrum and pit it against the other pole and watch the sparks fly.
Sit back and say I told ya so.

The battle of us vs. them and it's so damn old.
It will never end here.
Oh no!! Never here!!
On and on and on and on....

Nature vs. nurture...
Does art shape people or do people shape art?
Of course art both reflects and shapes reality. Duh.
Its a false choice but the damn thing goes on and on...

I worry about our humanity when we fall into that game so blindly.
We forget its a game and try to eliminate that "evil half". The one we don't understand.
Hell, even as an individual I've fallen prey to that trap.
I've been demonized, scapegoated, blackballed, blacklisted, railroaded, ripped off, run -out -of -town -on- a -rail, and the villagers have come out once or twice with their torches on a dark night of their own creation to project their collective fears onto me.

It must be my special fate to get this unique perspective on this issue and report to you from the front lines of binary belief to tell you it's a war (out there haha) and being in the middle of it is the only sane place to be, yet it's also the most uncomfortable place to be. But if I don't stand out here in no man's land and endure it, I won't have any more company. I have no martyrs complex; I want to live in peace like anybody, but I can't stop these foolish people from their endless, hopeless battle against one half of their own nature.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineShroomalicious

#744602 - 07/13/02 11:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ever notice how people only say good post when they agree with what someone is saying?

Swami, just yesterday in the post "What I think" I wrote to Evolving of our difference in views:

"Evolving, I think this is great...I think we will understand each other and our views better because of it. Love to you!"

Also in a Post to Sclorch on the topic "DMT - Any Theories?"
I said in relation to our difference of opinion " Seriously, I don't mind talking about this and I enjoy communicating with you. I don't agree with you about many things but you can learn something from everyone and besides you are an intelligent guy. Challenge my beliefs anytime. "

My point is this, I can't speak for anyone else but I honestly respect EVERYONE'S opinions whether or not they agree with me. BTW, that includes your opinion.

--------------------

Anonymous

#744809 - 07/14/02 04:42 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry to hear about your allergy. Deconstructionism gives me a rash.

"Derrida is no different from Hegel, in my mind. They both thought they had the final meta-philosophy to explain it all, and there couldn't be anything beyond it.
These postmodern academic people think what they're doing is so new and 'transgressive...' Well, the world's been 'postmodern' since before I was born, and it's just getting old already."

It is not only getting old but wrong as well.

"I'm not sure it has the ability to add anything new to human thought. Merely to discredit the old by drowning it in pretentious rhetoric. But then what? If these beliefs are wrong (ok- we can't say 'wrong' anymore- "problematic...") what do you expect to replace them with? So it's the opposite problem. Now we're so hyper-inclusive of all viewpoints that we can't make a meaninful statement about anything."

The answers to dilemmas facing mankind were parsed out long ago. The bane of "modern philosophy" started in the Middle, or Dark if you prefer, Ages when philosophers tired of the pendantic, pedagogical teaching of the ancients rejected them out of hand without even considering if they had any value. Entire systems were developed later, Kant is a good example, to lift philosophy out of the quagmire it had gotten itself into. Unfortunately, philosophy has never recovered and can only offer inane answers to any meaningful question that comes its way. The minor errors in Aristotle can be corrected by his own methods but very few thought to try that.

I think that the "doing something new" attitude comes from our fascination with empirical science. It is an egregious error to expect philosophy to improve with the same rate of speed that empirical science does. The two disciplines function in separate mediums making such progress for philosophy nigh impossible.

Anonymous

#744830 - 07/14/02 04:57 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"I don't know, that's why I was puzzled by your previous statement, "Each of us has the answers we are open to receiving."

You have been coming to this board for HOW long? Like you haven't seen this type of "thinking" repeatedly portrayed.

Ever notice how people only say good post when they agree with what someone is saying? Identification with group-think is much more important than any possible truth."

While my statement may seem esoteric it is true. If you disagree please explain why. Perhaps restating it would help.

If a person is closed to an answer they cannot receive it. Is that better?

Identification with group-think is important to people because it provides them with affiliation which is a foundation of society. People only value what they can conceive to have value, obviously. If, as you say, group-think is more important than any possible truth to everyone then there wouldn't be someone like me or anyone who doesn't care what the group thinks as much as they care about finding truth. People, as a rule, are not used to thinking. Perhaps they cannot see the value in it. Perhaps they want something that yields its fruit immediately. Sometimes thinking, especially esoteric thinking, does not evidence itself that way. Hence, they choose the immediate and "go along with the crowd". Stating the truth, even if it is obviously, goes against the grain and can cause a person to be outcast, black-balled, you name it.

If there is anything that is lacking nowadays, in my opinion, it is courage. I have known quite a few intelligent people but very few courageous ones.

Anonymous

#745319 - 07/14/02 11:01 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If a person is closed to an answer they cannot receive it. Is that better?

Yes.

Offlineerectronik

Loc: zeitung unter den See
    #746958 - 07/15/02 12:29 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Why not cure binary thought-problems with invention of some new words?

Like, "Pan-True", meaning, "true for most of the time, in most important situations"
or "Quasi-True", meaning "true for some of the time,...
Help me, I'm no good at prefixes, especially for denoting "importance"

Anyway, what I think I'm getting at, is that we should revamp our language! Put some of this analog thought into practice, damn it!

Wanna change the world? Speaking new words might catch public interest. What do you think?

--------------------
"Hallucinogens can be like talking to a really talented salesman: beware of what you can sell yourself." - J.L.C.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag