Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
Visions or no Visions
    #373606 - 08/17/01 10:40 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Hi, when I trip I usually have a lot of visions and I mean with my eyes open I have 3d visuals a lot of them or geometric in nature like simbols stars etc. and some others are organic like plants and insects.
But my friends don't have visuals.
My question is why some of us have visuals and others don't.

"We have infinite possibilities of existence"

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnagathka

Loc: Canaduh
Re: Visions or no Visions [Re: LOBO]
    #373650 - 08/17/01 01:02 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It seems to mostly depend on the dose. Your friends probably just aren't as responsive to the psilocybin as you are. I must say also that I don't normally have waking visions (Visions spawned with no host) as you are describing, even at very high doses. Are you and your friends tripping together? Because lighting seems to have a direct effect.

The direct effect of Psilocybin and most other psychedelics on the human mind are still not totally known. Most nuerologists therorise that the psilocybin temporarily shuts down natural barriers in the brain that normally filter out all the raw data of reality, those barriers that give us a "stable" reality.(Needed for the primal instinct of survival) In your case, you might have less metabolic barriers, enabling you to "see" more then the rest of your friends with a higher metabolic barrier.

Just a guess... until the govenment decides that it might actually be a good idea to find out how the human conciousness works.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Re: Visions or no Visions [Re: Anagathka]
    #373673 - 08/17/01 01:40 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, we trip together and at night but I also had the visuals during the day.
I have observed that If I point out the visual that I am seeing some people could see it to after they pay attencion and foucus. (which opens a hole different can of worms).
Food for thought.

--------------------

InvisibleIshmael
enthusiast

#373689 - 08/17/01 02:04 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

In his experience with Hypnosis, Erickson came to the conclusion that the best way to engage a patient into a hypnotic trance was through the patient's own frame of reference. He found through first hand experience that people have sensory orientations which predominate mentally. Someone can be visually oriented, while another may be audially (sound) oriented and still another kinesthetically (touch) oriented. He would 'Pace' the individual's experience /through/ this mode of perception in order to subconsciously communicate with the patient more effectively (and thereby induce a deeper more instantaneous trance). This concept carries over into pychedelic studies in a fairly straight-forward manner. A person is more likely to project hallucinations through their predominant frame of reference. Also, at higher dosages, there is more liklihood that one will develope the condition of synthenasia (cross-sensory perception) in which you taste colors (, hear smells (roses sound like trumpets), feel taste (oranges feel like drowning). Synthenasia is fairly common in these sorts of experiences if one looks for the symptoms. It is usually one's predominant frame of reference spilling over into one's focus of attention (example: Listening to Syd Barret, John - a visually oriented person- begins to see rolling summer landscapes in conjunction with the music. His focus is the music, but because of the drugs, his mind translates the sound into a visual experience - his frame of reference). Just understand that there are MANY ways to hallucinate with drugs of this sort.

Visuals, while amusing, are typically a distraction:

A Buddhist monk returned to his master after a long night of meditation, sporting a large smile,"Master," he said,"Yesternight, in my chamber, I explored a great foreign landscape of vast rolling plains and towering purple peaks! Truely this must be the realm of Nirvana!" The master grunted,"The things you have seen are merely reflections of your own ego. Never let the things you see consume you. Do not allow yourself to be so easily distracted!"

But when it comes to hallucinations, there are definate factors that come into play that are beyond what I've already spoken of. Namely, as with almost anything, the experience had is a net result of the mind-set of the individual and setting in which she/he is immersed within (or just collectively as the Situational Set). Tripping when you are emotionaly unstable (sad, depressed, angry) is more likely to produce hallucinations, as will tripping within an unfamiliar environment (unfamiliarity generates insecurity which leads to fear which leads to hallucinations). Any time your mind is out of control or you feel out of balance because of a situation, your mind will be working harder - doing more. And if the mind is active, then it produces more 'noise' to add to the pychedelic experience.

Ish

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Re: Visions or no Visions [Re: Ishmael]
    #373722 - 08/17/01 03:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

You have a point and I have consider your explanation in fact I used to analize things very similar to you.
But I am not so sure about my intelect any more.
Maybe some of the visuals are more than just (brain farts).
Maybe they are other things that we can not see in normal reality.
I just one to stay open minded.

--------------------

Offlinelucid_dreams
journeyman
Loc: the great plains
    #375083 - 08/20/01 09:55 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

are the visions u have always the same in nature? the few
visions or visuals i have are always of evil looking faces,
demons,scared faces. the best vision in my life was when
smoke was rolling at my face from across the room, from
someones sig, the smoke turned in to a huge tumbling wave
of sckulls, slowly overtaking me. that was kool :) but any
way i was wondering if everyone has uniform visions?
o and krazy am i not!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MIND YOUR HEAD<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

--------------------

when injecting rust, sniff lunar dust
>>>>>>>>>>>>MIND YOUR HEAD<<<<<<<<<<<

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology